Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2019 Mod warning #1682

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alan1473

Gillouise wrote: »
    Adminsitrative - Clerical should do the trick. It looks like there will be another campaign announced in the coming weeks going by what other people in the thread have been told by PAS

A new campaign that none of us will even want to do considering the way they are ending this campaign though some of us have been waiting 18 months after supervised testing and placed in the top 10 and still no interview...

Giving up on PAS after this anyways!! Crazy things going on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Alan would you have any idea when the external EO competition will be running. I am afraid I will miss it!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

hillbloom wrote: »
    Would a boardie tell me where to keep an eye for the EO positions. I am registered on public jobs.ie ... category ADMINISTRATION. Is that the correct category or would I need to register a few places. I find its a very hard website to manage. Does anyone have any idea when the next EO positions are expected to be advertised.

As well as Clerical/Admin also make sure you choose the Junior Management and also the Graduate option if they have one (I can't remember the options). That should make sure you don't miss out. Basically anything that might be relevant. I would also choose both the text and e-mail notifications option. In case there is a hiring embargo and you change e-mail or phone number in the meantime.

hillbloom wrote: »
    Alan would you have any idea when the external EO competition will be running. I am afraid I will miss it!!.

There has been no official date nor is it guaranteed that is what will happen either!!

They are saying there may be a new comp but I am going to fight every corner to make sure we don't have to enter a new competition just because they cut this short after leaving us wait for so long... It's a disgrace really ..People who want to better themselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Alan1473 wrote: »
    There has been no official date nor is it guaranteed that is what will happen either!!

They are saying there may be a new comp but I am going to fight every corner to make sure we don't have to enter a new competition just because they cut this short after leaving us wait for so long... It's a disgrace really ..People who want to better themselves..

Panels generally last for 2 years. I'd expect the current panel to cease in January 2020 but it would be normal for a new competition to be run either just before or after it expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CivilCybil

whampiri wrote: »
    Panels generally last for 2 years. I'd expect the current panel to cease in January 2020 but it would be normal for a new competition to be run either just before or after it expires.

Numerous people have been advised this will expire in September and a new competition announced shortly after

CivilCybil wrote: »
    Numerous people have been advised this will expire in September and a new competition announced shortly after

It was originally set to expire in Jan 2021 but numerous times they have mention it was close in September instead - which makes no sense as there are many of us placed high and not going to get an interview ..Though they want us to apply again and risk going 18 months of waiting for the next competition to be cut short aswell? There is no sense in it.. Only thing I could guess with it is that they know how many people will be unemployed from 2021 onwards therefore will look good to have public sector jobs advertised again for all entrants.. I just don't agree as I am sick of being a CO!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

It was originally set to expire in Jan 2021 but numerous times they have mention it was close in September instead - which makes no sense as there are many of us placed high and not going to get an interview ..Though they want us to apply again and risk going 18 months of waiting for the next competition to be cut short aswell? There is no sense in it.. Only thing I could guess with it is that they know how many people will be unemployed from 2021 onwards therefore will look good to have public sector jobs advertised again for all entrants.. I just don't agree as I am sick of being a CO!!!!

Finishing high on the order of merit doesn't mean that you'll be promoted, even if you're number 1 on the panel. In fact running a competition with a bigger potential pool of applicants makes more sense so that the service gets the best people. I'd understand why someone close to the topof a panel might not like that but there's always a cut off point and always people disappointed.

whampiri wrote: »
    Finishing high on the order of merit doesn't mean that you'll be promoted, even if you're number 1 on the panel. In fact running a competition with a bigger potential pool of applicants makes more sense so that the service gets the best people. I'd understand why someone close to the topof a panel might not like that but there's always a cut off point and always people disappointed.

I take your point that it sure doesn't guarantee promotion but you should nearly be guaranteed an interview otherwise the OoM stands for nothing! And with years of public service experience it would never really happen that you wouldn't pass the interview considering a lot of the applicants do not even have any experience in that field!!

The service might not get the best people though, nearly increases the chances of people coming from roles that are not even admin roles never mind have the necessary qualities to hold down a management position in the Civil Service.. It's a joke and nobody will be able to convince me or the other applicants otherwise... I for one will never forget this and I am sure I ain't on my own in that thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

I take your point that it sure doesn't guarantee promotion but you should nearly be guaranteed an interview otherwise the OoM stands for nothing! And with years of public service experience it would never really happen that you wouldn't pass the interview considering a lot of the applicants do not even have any experience in that field!!

The service might not get the best people though, nearly increases the chances of people coming from roles that are not even admin roles never mind have the necessary qualities to hold down a management position in the Civil Service.. It's a joke and nobody will be able to convince me or the other applicants otherwise... I for one will never forget this and I am sure I ain't on my own in that thinking...

Well just think of the message it sends to applicants hoping to get an opportunity to even attend an interview and then on top of that the message it sends that a CO as high up on a panel as you can't.

Just look at the analytics of this thread alone. Thousands and thousands of views since this campaign started. When another starts it will be looked back on too and that message will continue to get out. This year alone for candidates has seen a higher caliber and that is now wasted. A friend of mine that works in the civil service has told me that her boss, and this EO had only previously worked in a vets office in admin with little to no computer skills but will be retiring with others in October, now imagine what it would be like if they had an experienced computer literate candidate step in.

The whole process is a wasted exercise and I can only imagine how you feel Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

keanocar wrote: »
    Westmeath had some movement last week too. I was placed and at least two others.

I hadn’t expected it to move so quickly In the space of a few weeks but people ahead of me must’ve accepted their other county.

Could it be they turned down your job

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

PAS have confirmed to me that this competition will end in September. Makes zero sense given expected batch of DBP retirements expected in October. Just seems to have been an enormous waste of time for most candidates outside of Dublin - not to mention a huge waste of taxpayer money tbh. Anyhoo no option but sign up for the next 2/3 year slog whenever they announce it I guess :/

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

It's very annoying. I was number 30 and 107 for my 2 respective county choices and no interview for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭MFPM

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    It's very annoying. I was number 30 and 107 for my 2 respective county choices and no interview for either.

I feel your pain - I'm no 1 in both my chosen counties and no interview for either and judging by the posts above, there's no prospect of an interview either.

MFPM wrote: »
    I feel your pain - I'm no 1 in both my chosen counties and no interview for either and judging by the posts above, there's no prospect of an interview either.

What counties hired no one?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

It's shocking to start another one. Can't get my head around it. Particularly as has been mentioned before that there is going to be a raft of retirements in October. Galway was the county I was ranked 107. I was told they have reached 26 on the open. They were at 26 last summer as well🤔

doc22 wrote: »

They would have hired in the earlier rounds.

Ah well you weren't number 1. If you are in batch 3,4 etc you can't really complain

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Murzo

What do you mean they would have hired in earlier rounds? If someone is 1 in both counties of choice then nobody has been hired?

Ah well you weren't number 1. If you are in batch 3,4 etc you can't really complain

What an obtuse and unnecessary smart ass reply utterly out of character with the thread...
    Ah well you weren't number 1.

Number 1 in this round, perhaps I should have been clearer but given the stage of the process and discussions here I would have thought that was obvious.
    If you are in batch 3,4

You are aware that someone recruited in batch 1 is exactly the same as someone in batch 4?
    you can't really complain

I wasn't complaining, I was sympathising with a different poster primarly about the competition ending early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Anyone interested in the Communications Officers in the Civil Service (Executive Officer) role

https://publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=120878&campaignId=20135506

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/120878/booklet

Essential
    1. Candidates must on or before 23rd July 2020 :

a) Hold a qualification of at least Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications in
    Journalism, Multi Media/Communications, Marketing or Public Relations,

or

b) Have at least 2 years’ relevant experience, working in communications, a press office,
    public relations, or equivalent field;

and have

2. Experience of using and updating social media in a work environment;
    3. Good knowledge and understanding of the media landscape across print, broadcast and digital
    platforms;
    4. A good understanding of the effects of mass communications and the power of social
    networking;
    5. Good research and editorial skills;
    6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the capacity to present material in a
    clear, concise and comprehensive manner;
    7. Strong organisational skills and be creative and proactive in voicing ideas;
    8. A commitment to achieving quality results and ensuring all tasks are completed to a very high
    standard;
    9. A willingness to share ideas and information with the purpose of achieving a particular result;
    10. Be motivated, flexible and willing to adapt, positively contributing to the implementation of
    change and be capable of using own initiative as and when appropriate;
    11. The ability to absorb new information quickly understand new concepts and relationships, and
    the awareness to focus on important information.
    12. The ability to work calmly under pressure and deal with multiple demands and competing
    priorities to extremely tight deadlines;
    13. The ability to work effectively as part of a team;
    14. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to network, build relationships and successfully
    engage with internal colleagues and a variety of external stakeholders;
    16. Have an understanding and sensitivity in dealing with others, and be persuasive when
    communicating in general;
    17. The self-confidence necessary to cope with challenging situations and capacity to be resilient,
    18. A keen interest in public affairs and be committed to the concept of public service;

In addition to the above, candidates must also be able to demonstrate the Key Competencies
    identified for effective performance at this level (see page 6 and 17)

Desirable
     Familiarity with photography, videography including video editing packages
     Experience in graphic design;
     Experience in marketing/public awareness campaigns;
     Experience of working in a press office or dealing with media queries.

Anyone interested in the Communications Officers in the Civil Service (Executive Officer) role

https://publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=120878&campaignId=20135506

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/120878/booklet

Essential
    1. Candidates must on or before 23rd July 2020 :

a) Hold a qualification of at least Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications in
    Journalism, Multi Media/Communications, Marketing or Public Relations,

or

b) Have at least 2 years’ relevant experience, working in communications, a press office,
    public relations, or equivalent field;

and have

2. Experience of using and updating social media in a work environment;
    3. Good knowledge and understanding of the media landscape across print, broadcast and digital
    platforms;
    4. A good understanding of the effects of mass communications and the power of social
    networking;
    5. Good research and editorial skills;
    6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the capacity to present material in a
    clear, concise and comprehensive manner;
    7. Strong organisational skills and be creative and proactive in voicing ideas;
    8. A commitment to achieving quality results and ensuring all tasks are completed to a very high
    standard;
    9. A willingness to share ideas and information with the purpose of achieving a particular result;
    10. Be motivated, flexible and willing to adapt, positively contributing to the implementation of
    change and be capable of using own initiative as and when appropriate;
    11. The ability to absorb new information quickly understand new concepts and relationships, and
    the awareness to focus on important information.
    12. The ability to work calmly under pressure and deal with multiple demands and competing
    priorities to extremely tight deadlines;
    13. The ability to work effectively as part of a team;
    14. Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to network, build relationships and successfully
    engage with internal colleagues and a variety of external stakeholders;
    16. Have an understanding and sensitivity in dealing with others, and be persuasive when
    communicating in general;
    17. The self-confidence necessary to cope with challenging situations and capacity to be resilient,
    18. A keen interest in public affairs and be committed to the concept of public service;

In addition to the above, candidates must also be able to demonstrate the Key Competencies
    identified for effective performance at this level (see page 6 and 17)

Desirable
     Familiarity with photography, videography including video editing packages
     Experience in graphic design;
     Experience in marketing/public awareness campaigns;
     Experience of working in a press office or dealing with media queries.

They've such high demands and pay so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

Murzo wrote: »
    They've such high demands and pay so poorly.

Also the competencys on the application form are not siminalar to the Executive Officer there extermely realted to the job

rusty1983 wrote: »
    Also the competencys on the application form are not siminalar to the Executive Officer there extermely realted to the job

This comment doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

Murzo wrote: »
    This comment doesn't make sense

What doesnt make sense?

For the Communications Officer on the application form it asks for details of your experience working in Journalism or Multi/Media/Communications?

Also to give details of your eperience of using and updating social media in a work environemnt - Such as Twitte, Flickr, You Tube, Instragram and Facebook and the final one

Give details of your experience (if any) in using Lightroom for photo cataloguing and post production and or Graphic Design / Motion Graphics packages and or Non Linar Editing Systems ie Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro

So in my opnion the competencys on the application for Communications Officer are extermely related to the job and not siminalar to the competencys for Executive Officer

It's the same with IT EO's or Tax/Revenue EOs with specialized skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Have been on endless pannels too that seem to go nowhere. At first I was happy thinking it was a decent achievment, but it turns out to just be a game of diminishing hope. Way better to be told yes or no at the start, especially since making a panel but not getting anything at the end amounts to a grand total of 0 benefit or help toward your goal of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SAHM2017

Clare have hired no one from the open competition, I’m no 1 in batch 1.1 after interview and according to PAS there are NO vacancies in Clare.
    Feels more like a paper exercise tying up loose ends. Only 7 were interviewed as far as I know, from god knows how many applications for 0 positions. Time, expense, effort all a complete waste.

SAHM2017 wrote: »
    Clare have hired no one from the open competition, I’m no 1 in batch 1.1 after interview and according to PAS there are NO vacancies in Clare.
    Feels more like a paper exercise tying up loose ends. Only 7 were interviewed as far as I know, from god knows how many applications for 0 positions. Time, expense, effort all a complete waste.

I'll defend PAS in that they prob had a vacancy on the inter panel and then they had to interview open panel too. But departments could be doing their own thing from memory I can remember an internal panel that seemed to be moving quicker than an open panel that had all departments in county covered. In Clare don't Revenue have a large base there and they have their own open panel to work from .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Carlow20

Was there any movement for Carlow or Kilkenny?

Very disappointed reading that the campaign will close in September. Thought these campaigns usually ran for 2 years.

Advertisement