Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus I didn’t know that at all so basically a “trainee” is a cash cow and free labour under the guise of paying your dues an absolute joke.

I can't speak for any of the current schools, but I can tell you any place I trained was barely covering rent with the trainees money, maybe once a year there'd be an open day with a new sign up bump, but nobody was getting rich off that.

As for the free labour, why wouldn't you promote a show your on/help the club you're part of? Why wouldn't you set up the ring you're going to be bumping in to make sure it's safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

brianblaze wrote: »
    She's at a main event level IMO, the Heavyweight belt isn't a men's only belt, it's for the top person

Generally a top title is a men’s belt. Then there’s a women’s equivalent. 99% of the time that’s the case anyway. Probably not the brightest idea to have blokes punching the women now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Omackeral wrote: »
    Generally a top title is a men’s belt. Then there’s a women’s equivalent. 99% of the time that’s the case anyway. Probably not the brightest idea to have blokes punching the women now anyway.

Tessa Blanchard is Impact champion now I think, so that's a bit of mainstream acceptance. I can't think of any ott fan that wouldn't pop for a Session Moth title win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I can't speak for any of the current schools, but I can tell you any place I trained was barely covering rent with the trainees money, maybe once a year there'd be an open day with a new sign up bump, but nobody was getting rich off that.

As for the free labour, why wouldn't you promote a show your on/help the club you're part of? Why wouldn't you set up the ring you're going to be bumping in to make sure it's safe?

The problem is Hynesie, promoters get greedy and take advantage.
    I know the promotion you are referencing. You say the school barely covered rent. But what about the shows?

The lads weren't getting paid. Not even bus fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Session Moth as champ. The feel good, massive pop the scene needs now. The nicest wrestler you could ever meet, has earned the spot and would make the most sense.

As long as her RoH and Japan bookings lined up, I'd take six months to a year of champion Martina
    Highly overrated worker in my opinion, gimmick aside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tessa Blanchard is Impact champion now I think.

I believe they might be regretting that though, to be fair. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The problem is Hynesie, promoters get greedy and take advantage.
    I know the promotion you are referencing. You say the school barely covered rent. But what about the shows?

The lads weren't getting paid. Not even bus fares.

I trained 2 places, the first I honestly can't comment on that side of it cause I never progressed past gym shows.

The second I can say, money made from the shows was pumped back into the promotion, and by the time I finished up there, there was a professional PA system, lights and a stage, which if you're starting out is more beneficial than a 15 euro payday, I can also say any bigger shows I was on I was paid, and more than once I saw the promoter pay for a taxi for people when ring crew ran past last bus.

I can also say that I was never punished for genuinely not being able to make flyering/the odd training class, but if I vanished for 6-8 weeks of course I would drop down the bookings list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Session Moth as champ. The feel good, massive pop the scene needs now. The nicest wrestler you could ever meet, has earned the spot and would make the most sense.

As long as her RoH and Japan bookings lined up, I'd take six months to a year of champion Martina

that would be a big fall off in the quality of main events OTT usually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭ThePott

As the de factor Phoenix guy around here I guess I'll share what I said on twitter.
    https://twitter.com/Pop_Cult_Pod/status/1275005920225955841?s=20

As for the talk and treatment of trainees. I've never been entirely comfortable with the 'paying your dues' idea as it is easily corruptible. That being said, wrestling and a lot of independent arts in general is based on this system. Most of the roles you take on as a trainee is a learning experience.

Should trainees not know how to put up a ring?
    Should they not help with promoting a show for the school they are part of?
    With regards to training, if they haven't been training often is it safe to put them on a show?
    When I didn't show up to rugby training, I didn't get my spot on the team either.

For security? Most of the shows I've been to have actual security personnel, the trainees are ringside as they are more familiar with the ins and outs of wrestling. You can't ask a security guard to catch someone on a suicide dive.

Again, these are my opinions alone.

Tessa Blanchard is Impact champion now I think, so that's a bit of mainstream acceptance. I can't think of any ott fan that wouldn't pop for a Session Moth title win

I know she is. Pretty much an exception though, wouldn't you agree? Kind of ironic that she's used as an example of progressiveness given her racist comments (not saying you're promoting her yourself Brian).

I don't really get the clamour for intergender matches at the World Title level. It would be uncomfortable to watch Brock Lesnar batter Kairi Sane for example. It's also a bit of a reality killer too for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Only getting round to reading the sunday papers now and Sunday life in particular has a story about Brian Corr, ex PWU, has worked for OTT up north mainly and a few other promotions, up in court on 2 counts of causing or inciting a boy under 16 to engage in sexual activity

I trained 2 places, the first I honestly can't comment on that side of it cause I never progressed past gym shows.

It would not be fair for me to comment on the second but I am referencing the first place you were in.... also:
    ThePott wrote: »
    As the de factor Phoenix guy around here I guess I'll share what I said on twitter.

As for the talk and treatment of trainees. I've never been entirely comfortable with the 'paying your dues' idea as it is easily corruptible. That being said, wrestling and a lot of independent arts in general is based on this system. Most of the roles you take on as a trainee is a learning experience.

Should trainees not know how to put up a ring?
    Should they not help with promoting a show for the school they are part of?
    With regards to training, if they haven't been training often is it safe to put them on a show?
    When I didn't show up to rugby training, I didn't get my spot on the team either.

For security? Most of the shows I've been to have actual security personnel, the trainees are ringside as they are more familiar with the ins and outs of wrestling. You can't ask a security guard to catch someone on a suicide dive.

Again, these are my opinions alone.

See here's the thing, what you just said ThePott sounds fair. Problem is it gets abused.
    The words trainee and pay your dues are like a piece of string - how long are they really?

One promoter may be fair and not take the p*ss. Another can realise "hang on... i'll just use the lads to do this" - it should be noted that not every promoter is the same but some have used.

Which leads me back to hynsies comment. I've been told by many guys how that promoter never paid anyone to wrestle. To earn him money.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

I was referring to what ba said above having no experience of this myself how would I know, but as for helping out at the very least food should be laid on and travel taking care of after all money is still been made out of everyone’s hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭ThePott

See here's the thing, what you just said ThePott sounds fair. Problem is it gets abused.
    The words trainee and pay your dues are like a piece of string - how long are they really?
    Absolutely, I agree, I said as much. It is easily open to corruption.
    I will say that I've seen it abused in the past but I will say that in my experience and from what I've witnessed that is not the case with Phoenix.

Tessa Blanchard is Impact champion now I think, so that's a bit of mainstream acceptance.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

Over the Top Rope Sports Entertainment have put together a new board of members. They'll meet monthly to discuss whether any Irish or British talent have been acting the maggot on nights out or on social media.

The board will comprise of Joseph Cabray, Lawrence James Cleary, Kaydee McKeon Joyce, Kazza Glennon and Katelyn Harvey.

Kazza Glennon has also quietly replaced Jordan Devlin as a coach in the School of Irish Sports Entertainment. Coach Glennon will now work alongside Coach Joseph Cabray and Coach Patrick Morrow.

Over the Top Rope Sports Entertainment have put together a new board of members. They'll meet monthly to discuss whether any Irish or British talent have been acting the maggot on nights out or on social media.

The board will comprise of Joseph Cabray, Lawrence James Cleary, Kaydee McKeon Joyce, Kazza Glennon and Katelyn Harvey.

Kazza Glennon has also quietly replaced Jordan Devlin as a coach in the School of Irish Sports Entertainment. Coach Glennon will now work alongside Coach Joseph Cabray and Coach Patrick Morrow.

Does that mean the school is back open?
    Thought they were looking for a place after the owner of the building asked them to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

they are taking over training in NI too by looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler

To be honest I think it's all the same what school they take over or reopen, I really feel between the pandemic and the speak out thing that OTT and UK/Irish wrestling is a spent force.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ah c'mon, people will be dying for events when the country fully opens up again.

Plus, people have short memories. It's the best and worst thing about people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd agree that once we are fully open there is going to be demand for shows but surely social distancing is here to stay for a long long while yet. How will these indoor shows work?

Personally I don't think I'll be chomping at the bit myself. I have/had tickets for the NXTUK show and to be honest it could have came and went and I wouldn't have even noticed it. Wrestling is so far off my radar at the minute.

Not a popular opinion but I feel the #speakout thing will really harm the scene. Not necessarily through people turning their backs but I think the loss of David Starr will be massive for OTT. At the time of his downfall he was at his peak. A geniunely elite talent that could carry a show. The programme with Himself/Devlin/Walter (and Osprey in there for good measure) was truly world class. How do you replace that?

I love Martina, KOTN and the rest but it has been years and I think they're a bit played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Well it's about creating new stars.

Personally with OTT I just went for OTT and not any particular named talent along the way.

Alot of the younger talent will surely be given the oppurtunity to deliver, and with with slick video production they have been doing they will no doubt have a great platform to escalate up the card.

Speaking of video production my OTT documentry has gotten into two film festivals recently, we had entered a few more so fingers cross it goes well!

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd agree that once we are fully open there is going to be demand for shows but surely social distancing is here to stay for a long long while yet. How will these indoor shows work?

Personally I don't think I'll be chomping at the bit myself. I have/had tickets for the NXTUK show and to be honest it could have came and went and I wouldn't have even noticed it. Wrestling is so far off my radar at the minute.

Not a popular opinion but I feel the #speakout thing will really harm the scene. Not necessarily through people turning their backs but I think the loss of David Starr will be massive for OTT. At the time of his downfall he was at his peak. A geniunely elite talent that could carry a show. The programme with Himself/Devlin/Walter (and Osprey in there for good measure) was truly world class. How do you replace that?

I love Martina, KOTN and the rest but it has been years and I think they're a bit played out.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Between the #speakingout losses like Starr and Devlin (and seemingly Davis) and then the virtue signalling fans trying to eat each other alive for social media clout, I don't see the Irish or UK industry recovering from it at all. I really hope I'm wrong because as a long suffering Irish wrestling fan in my 30s there were some very very lean years here and OTT has been a God send but I'm afraid it's done. Would be very pleased to be wrong mind you.
    Sirsok wrote: »
    Well it's about creating new stars.
    Speaking of video production my OTT documentry has gotten into two film festivals recently, we had entered a few more so fingers cross it goes well!

Congrats man watched it on youtube and was deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Between the #speakingout losses like Starr and Devlin (and seemingly Davis) and then the virtue signalling fans trying to eat each other alive for social media clout, I don't see the Irish or UK industry recovering from it at all. I really hope I'm wrong because as a long suffering Irish wrestling fan in my 30s there were some very very lean years here and OTT has been a God send but I'm afraid it's done. Would be very pleased to be wrong mind you.

Congrats man watched it on youtube and was deadly.

Yes, it's those pesky virtue signallers that's the problem, not a culture rampant with abuse, curse those women for having the temerity to speak out of place. The way that entire paragraph is phrased is way off. Some things are far more important than having a good wrestling show to go to once a month. The scene itself will need time to regenerate some new stars, if WWE's aggressive tactics in talent procurement slow down as a result of Covid then that would certainly help too.

Yes, it's those pesky virtue signallers that's the problem, not a culture rampant with abuse, curse those women for having the temerity to speak out of place. The way that entire paragraph is phrased is way off. Some things are far more important than having a good wrestling show to go to once a month. The scene itself will need time to regenerate some new stars, if WWE's aggressive tactics in talent procurement slow down as a result of Covid then that would certainly help too.

Ah I knew you'd come along with your ignore everything that was said but repeat the words in a sarcastic way by framing it as "*huff* yeah thats what matters not rape." But that must be a record reply time for you.

You're exhausting, nobody ever defended any of the creeps on here but you're so much better than all of us dont worry we all know it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Ah I knew you'd come along with your ignore everything that was said but repeat the words in a sarcastic way by framing it as "*huff* yeah thats what matters not rape." But that must be a record reply time for you.

You're exhausting, nobody ever defended any of the creeps on here but you're so much better than all of us dont worry we all know it already.

I think you're confusing sympathy for victims and the will to create a wrestling scene NOT rampant with abuse as virtue signalling or "being better than all of us" which I can't even wrap my head around that line of thought honestly.

High level wrestling is gone from Ireland for now, it's that simple. Maybe it will come back. There's enough good people involved that makes me believe it will come back strong. What matters is that elements that allowed the behaviour that killed it in the first place to prosper absolutely has to change. From training schools, to whether we think it's OK for underage kids to train in the 1st place, to how these places are vetted, to merch table culture, after show parties ect. all stuff that needs to be looked at. Until you make wrestling safe for trainees, all talents and fans then maybe wrestling should stay away.

I think you're confusing sympathy for victims and the will to create a wrestling scene NOT rampant with abuse as virtue signalling or "being better than all of us" which I can't even wrap my head around that line of thought honestly.

High level wrestling is gone from Ireland for now, it's that simple. Maybe it will come back. There's enough good people involved that makes me believe it will come back strong. What matters is that elements that allowed the behaviour that killed it in the first place to prosper absolutely has to change. From training schools, to whether we think it's OK for underage kids to train in the 1st place, to how these places are vetted, to merch table culture, after show parties ect. all stuff that needs to be looked at. Until you make wrestling safe for trainees, all talents and fans then maybe wrestling should stay away.

The second part of your post is exactly what I just said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Between the #speakingout losses like Starr and Devlin (and seemingly Davis) and then the virtue signalling fans trying to eat each other alive for social media clout,

I love how you phrase this. Is there a term for this? For all the good the internet does giving those who need it a platform, the witch hunt for selfish reasons is horrendous.

We just need people to step up. Martina, LJ, Liam Royal, Corvin, B Cool , a couple of imports.... it’ll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

Omackeral wrote: »
    We just need people to step up. Martina, LJ, Liam Royal, Corvin, B Cool , a couple of imports.... it’ll be grand.

I'm going assume as this was posted at 4am you had a few too many when suggested OTT would be grand with that line up. That's a contenders level card not Stadium shows.

Advertisement