Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pippa Hackett

Options
  • 25-07-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭

A year ago she scraped in as a Councillor on the 7th count in Offaly. After 3 months she was put in the senate by Eamonn Ryan on 68k.
    Meanwhile her husband got her Councillor seat without having to stand for election.
    Pippa runs in the general election but failed.
    Then Eamonn decided Pippa was so talented she should now be a super junior minister on 123k, not bad for an unelected TD.
    Snouts in trough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

A year ago she scraped in as a Councillor on the 7th count in Offaly. After 3 months she was put in the senate by Eamonn Ryan on 68k.
    Meanwhile her husband got her Councillor seat without having to stand for election.
    Then Eamonn decided Pippa was so talented she should now be a super junior minister on 123k, not bad for an unelected TD.
    Snouts in trough?

Plenty of family groups in the Greens getting their heads in to the trough. No oul take the average industrial wage ****e either from them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The cooption of relatives into council seats and the hiring as relatives as staffers needs to be stopped by every single party. At the very least the electorate should start punishing the individual polticians who engage in this.

Enda Kenny promised to halt the relatives getting jobs carry on in FG. In the end nothing was done.

In many countries the public would not tolerate this behaviour, yet we have a high tolerance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

Edgware wrote: »
    Plenty of family groups in the Greens getting their heads in to the trough. No oul take the average industrial wage ****e either from them

Not one TD ever has only taken the average industrial wage.

The full salary is what they all get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yurt! wrote: »
    The cooption of relatives into council seats and the hiring as relatives as staffers needs to be stopped by every single party. At the very least the electorate should start punishing the individual polticians who engage in this.

Enda Kenny promised to halt the relatives getting jobs carry on in FG. In the end nothing was done.

In many countries the public would not tolerate this behaviour, yet we have a high tolerance for it.

It’s not a big issue, dude. Most of the electorate don’t care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Allinall wrote: »
    Not one TD ever has only taken the average industrial wage.

The full salary is what they all get paid.
    I know but those honest socially responsible people in Sinn Fein give most of theirs to the Party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If you say so. Dude.

FG are among the worst offenders for this carry on and you know it. Enda Kenny was apparently livid when the last government was formed and a tonne of relatives were hired as staffers / drivers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Snouts in trough?

Is she a good person? Is she intelligent? Is she hard working? Is she articulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

KiKi III wrote: »
    Is she a good person? Is she intelligent? Is she hard working? Is she articulate?

Do you have to defend every female ever????
    Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Politics is a grubby little business.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Do you have to defend every female ever????
    Bizarre

I didn’t actually defend her. I asked some questions about her because I don’t know anything about her.

I’m curious as to whether she has the qualities to carry out the role she’s been given well. That’s what I’m most interested in public representatives.

What’s bizarre is that you’d interpret a few relevant questions as being purely about her gender. Why bring that into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

The Greens are a very family friendly party.

If your family is Martin or Hackett that is. Then it's jobs all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I thought pbp take the industrial wage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They do, good candidates overlooked because the half witted offspring of some political dynasty wants a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

And if you believe that one I've a bridge in New York I think you might be interested in buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

She's a member of the Green party, not known for any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Was she elected? Or was the position advertised? Or can politicians just give out jobs to anyone they like and the taxpayers will cover the bill?

Was she elected?

Elected unopposed to the Agricultural Panel of the Seanad according to Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Was she elected?

No she wasn’t elected, she was hired. It’s a silly position in any case because she has no power to vote on anything. €100k to act like the Ministers lap dog? Sure why not if it’s going. Her husband was elected unopposed to Offaly CoCo and there’s not a peep about him this morning.

Basically going after individuals does nothing to change policies. It’s an issue that’s rife in the civil and public services, not just in Irish life, but in politics in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Well for some alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No she wasn’t elected, she was hired. It’s a silly position in any case because she has no power to vote on anything. €100k to act like the Ministers lap dog? Sure why not if it’s going. Her husband was elected unopposed to Offaly CoCo and there’s not a peep about him this morning.

Basically going after individuals does nothing to change policies. It’s an issue that’s rife in the civil and public services, not just in Irish life, but in politics in general.
    Ah ok, that’s grand then, no point in complaining then

• Advertisement

Complaining about the system makes sense. Reforming the system makes sense. Moaning about individuals who didn’t create the system is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well there isn’t a point in complaining about the behaviour of specific individuals when they haven’t actually done anything wrong.

If you’re complaining about what enables them to do what they do, then the issue is one of policies, not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't think they hand it back the state though same with SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nothing to see here? I can tell you our local FG TD lost her seat and giving her council one to her daughter and hiring family as staff played into it big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yurt! wrote: »

Enda Kenny and FG promised a lot in the New Politics document. Nothing was achieved.

He even said they would reform the Seanad but it's as crony and wasteful as ever before.

Now FFG and the Greens are gorging on taxpayers money while reforming nothing.

FFG are a cancer in Irish politics and it's spreading across the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Yes to all four.

If she ran in my constituency I'd be happy to support her.

She's the polar opposite of airhead McHugh who was all mouth and no trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Enda Kenny and FG promised a lot in the New Politics document. Nothing was achieved.

He even said they would reform the Seanad but it's as crony and wasteful as ever before.

Now FFG and the Greens are gorging on taxpayers money while reforming nothing.

FFG are a cancer in Irish politics and it's spreading across the Dail.

A cancer!! Jesus, dude, you live in one of the fairest, most wealthy, equal, safe, and decent countries on the planet. Not Somalia.

Context, my friend. Context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The taxpayer pays every PbP TD their full salary and expenses package.

Where and how they subsequently decide to spend that large wedge of taxpayers' loot is between them and their God.

Yes to all four.

If she ran in my constituency I'd be happy to support her.

She's the polar opposite of airhead McHugh who was all mouth and no trousers.

Had a quick Google. As a farmer who’s extensively educated I’m glad she’s risen quickly through the ranks to where her abilities can make an impact; she seems well qualified for the remit she’s been given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

It does annoy me greatly that she was plonked into the Seanad with barely any political experience and then bumped to Super-Junior despite having been recently rejected by the electorate in the recent election.

I don't think they should be allowed promote non-TD's to ministerial positions. It's mental that someone can barely scrape into a council seat in their own local area, be rejected by the electorate at the polls, and end up at Cabinet anyway.

Advertisement