Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

85 new cases today. Oh no...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I wonder how many clusters, did they extrapolate on the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I wonder how many clusters, did they extrapolate on the figures?

Looks like 18 of them are one factory and there are few clusters associated with that cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Herman Cain was last seen publicly at Trump's Tulsa rally, not wearing a mask.

Hernan Cain got Covid.

Herman Cain is now dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Neil3030 wrote: »

Hernan Cain got Covid.

Herman Cain is now dead.

I was reading about him last night, so I checked his twitter profile and his account had still be tweeting away...I naively assumed news if him being on a ventilator couldn't be true...I guess it turns out someone else was tweeting on his behalf...

Anyway I don't know much about him other than he has been proven horribly wrong on Covid...

Still I wouldn't wish that on anyone so RIP.

But really America needs to cop on about this virus.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell...that's some jump. Hopefully it's a cluster that can be controlled, but this seems like bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

errlloyd wrote: »
    Looks like 18 of them are one factory and there are few clusters associated with that cluster.

Seems half of todays reported number comes from that one factory and associated clusters. Apparently the testing team has been onsite for a week testing all workers and known close contacts. It's a good sign that's we're able to mobilise quickly to test and trace. It's scary how quickly this virus spreads though.

Be ready is all I'll say.

Belgium reoponed cafes and restaurants on June 8th, and saw a spike in cases ~5 weeks later. It hasn't yet resulted in a second lockdown but that's probably the next step, certainly in some cities.

Be ready is all I'll say.

Belgium reoponed cafes and restaurants on June 8th, and saw a spike in cases ~5 weeks later. It hasn't yet resulted in a second lockdown but that's probably the next step, certainly in some cities.

I think govts will try local lockdowns first.

The other thing to consider about case numbers is that with improved track and tracing the authorities are maybe catching more cases than they did before. The hospitalised case numbers and ultimately number of deaths might tell us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    I think govts will try local lockdowns first.

Possibly, yeah.

I honestly don't see people taking a second lockdown seriously, particularly if it's regional. Nothing is actually being enforced properly, for whatever reason. If we do go into second lockdown and the government actually wants it taken seriously, there needs to be a proper example made of a few people otherwise people will just ignore it on the basis that they've had to go through it already and "we're over it". I'm in a lucky position as I can WFH and my hobbies haven't changed too much, so I'm OK staying in lockdown for a few months again, but plenty won't be.

That being said, I can't really see the government - particularly with Martin in charge - going all out with another lockdown, not with how it could affect The Economy™.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Spent a few very happy years living across the straight in Gwynedd myself. Would regularly come over to Ynys Mon; The Oyster Catcher near Rhosneigr was one of our favourites. Did you ever fly on the vomit comet down to Cardiff?

Was in the Oyster quite a few times but never did the comet......:D Also used to eat regularly in the Bull in Llangefni and also at a place near Criccieth but I can't remember what it was called.

First step in Belgium was masks - everywhere, even if you're going for a jog.

They have also restricted the number of people you can see outside your immediate family, which had been loosened to 15, but is now back to 5. Still no earthly idea how they police it. No two people (even family members) can enter a supermarket together, and you must be out inside 30 minutes. Few other measures I can't remember now off the top of my head.

Tougher restrictions are being reintroduced to Greater Manchester and parts of Yorkshire from midnight.

Ominous signs...let's hope these sort of measures can nip any second wave in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bilston wrote: »
    Tougher restrictions are being reintroduced to Greater Manchester and parts of Yorkshire from midnight.

Ominous signs...let's hope these sort of measures can nip any second wave in the bud.

I think our mistake is in thinking that we got over the first wave, we didn't... England certainly didn't. We're still in the first wave IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Hernan Cain got Covid.

Herman Cain is now dead.

I'm surprised it took this long for a senior politician to die from Covid in the states tbh.
    Tragic for this to happen, but I'll be shocked if it changes the tune Trump sings.

In paying respects to Cain, Trump said "he passed away from a thing called the China Virus"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/politics/herman-cain-dies-coronavirus/index.html

kuang1 wrote: »

In paying respects to Cain, Trump said "he passed away from a thing called the China Virus"

he really is a cretinous mound of flesh......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

First step in Belgium was masks - everywhere, even if you're going for a jog.

Not entirely sure there is a point to that. Is there any indication that incredibly brief outdoors exposure is the cause of any transmission?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Not entirely sure there is a point to that. Is there any indication that incredibly brief outdoors exposure is the cause of any transmission?

It's lower risk for sure but it's not zero.

If a jogger comes running past and he's panting hard, he's throwing out a lot of viral particles. Likewise if some guy just coughs into the air, sneezes or even shouts. If someone else wanders into that plume, they're exposed and could be infected.

Now, the risk every time is incredibly small but if enough people do it, it becomes a statistical certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If a jogger comes running past and he's panting hard, he's throwing out a lot of viral particles. Likewise if some guy just coughs into the air, sneezes or even shouts. If someone else wanders into that plume, they're exposed and could be infected.

Now, the risk every time is incredibly small but if enough people do it, it becomes a statistical certainty.

I'd imagine they'd need to be right on top of you panting directly into your face for it to be an issue. The level of dispersal in open air would massively mitigate any risk. Plus we simply dont know what level of particle exposure is required for infection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A "plume" doesn't stay up in the air, particularly outside. There is a reason why the consider close contact to be 15 min exposure to someone infected.

It's just not that contagious. If you could get it by passing someone on the street the whole world would have it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Had my first day off in ages today and went into town for a few hours to do some shopping etc. I'm appalled at the lack of compliance. People of all ages and demographics were walking around shops without any face covering (plenty were but almost as many were not). Staff in pharmacies without masks (I was looking for reusable masks, they didn't stock them and couldn't tell me where I could get any). I saw a HSE worker off shift in a department store with no mask.

But the most telling thing was when I went for food in a cafe. It was a big place, loads of space and room and also located near a couple of large construction sites. A few gangs of lads were in getting fry ups. None of them had masks. They sat in booths in groups of 6, elbow to elbow for 30-40mins, sharing condiments, teapots etc. If any of them had Covid, they had a decent chance of infecting the others in that one sitting.

After this morning, I don't see how numbers will not continue to escalate. We won't go back to the peak numbers I believe but I do expect to go back into the hundreds each day in the near future. I don't see how we won't. And it has little to do with travel in or out of the country. The population simply are not taking the necessary precautions in their daily lives.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'd need to be right on top of you panting directly into your face for it to be an issue. The level of dispersal in open air would massively mitigate any risk. Plus we simply dont know what level of particle exposure is required for infection.

Yeah, I agree, and if you're strolling in the park, grand. If you're on the footpath of a city street or queuing outside a shop, maybe not.

These things are all incremental. A tiny risk that you take over and over again is no longer a tiny risk. Smoking one cigarette isn't harmful, but smoking one cigarette every 30 minutes for 20 years isn't a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    The population simply are not taking the necessary precautions in their daily lives.

In various whatsapp chats I'm in, I've seen the following (along with the usual, it's just a flu, it's a hoax, etc)
    - I won't wear masks because they didn't tell us to at the start, why now?
    - I won't wear masks because I don't want to breathe in my own air.
    - I won't wear masks because I don't know which ones to wear and they can't decide what I should wear.
    - I won't wear masks because they don't protect me.
    - When it was pointed out that it's not to protect you, it's to limit the spread and protect others from potential infection, the response was "my body my choice".

The real "what the ****" moment I had was when it was pointed out to them that it's not just your body, as you're more at risk of spreading it to others without a mask, the response was along the lines of "Well, we already had a referendum about abortion and we decided as a nation that 'my body my choice' was what we cared about. We don't care about the unborn so why should I care about others now?" - in absolute seriousness.

The mind f*cking boggles sometimes.

there has to be a realisation that the virus WILL spread... and that the goal is to protect the vulnerable and to protect the health service.

the goal was never zero covid, because that simply isnt possible due to the legalities around the free movement of people and the fact we share a 300 mile land border with another country.

so while gangs of young lads and lassies hanging around without a care in the world LOOKS completely wrong.. it may actually be beneficial if they are developing immunity without even knowing it. As long as they have the cop on around vulnerable people, and in that, vulnerable people have to be extra cautious, things may not be as bad as they appear.

even cluster outbreaks like yesterday arent that bad as long as the median age of these groups are low and that they know to isolate and restrict movement. we could be here in 2 weeks where all 84 of those yesterday may not have ever shown a symptom and all 84 would be immune.

the only way to beat this thing without a wide spread vaccination program is to allow the least at risk groups develop immunity and become actual real barriers to spread and not vectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so while gangs of young lads and lassies hanging around without a care in the world LOOKS completely wrong.. it may actually be beneficial if they are developing immunity without even knowing it. As long as they have the cop on around vulnerable people, and in that, vulnerable people have to be extra cautious, things may not be as bad as they appear.

Yeah I think I feel sort of like this. If we're not going for Zero, we may as well live a lifestyle that "flattens" the curve but isn't full lockdown. At the moment we are in between.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've only been in the supermarket in the last few weeks, we have been almost cocooning the whole time as baby was due this week. But the compliance rate with masks has gone from ~20% to 90%+ in my experience in the last 3 weeks. If it's bad elsewhere I'll be continuing to avoid those places and stick to just doing the food shop twice a week.

The real "what the ****" moment I had was when it was pointed out to them that it's not just your body, as you're more at risk of spreading it to others without a mask, the response was along the lines of "Well, we already had a referendum about abortion and we decided as a nation that 'my body my choice' was what we cared about. We don't care about the unborn so why should I care about others now?" - in absolute seriousness.

That's the logic of someone who has been brainwashed or is just a horrible person. And I'm realising there are more of them than I realised and they are among us.

Two people I work with:

Person A is an experienced, highly respected operator. Very measured and diligent. I was going for a sandwich and had to go back to get my mask. She informed me that she had contacted Retail Ireland to confirm they wouldn't be enforcing face masks so she wasn't wearing one.

Person B is in their twenties, educated to a masters level. She asked if I thought whether the death count was as high as reported. I asked what she meant and she advised that she had seen footage online from Italy of soldiers loading rocks into the coffins and they weren't moving bodies at all.

These people exist and I'm beginning to think there are many more than I ever thought.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've only been in the supermarket in the last few weeks, we have been almost cocooning the whole time as baby was due this week. But the compliance rate with masks has gone from ~20% to 90%+ in my experience in the last 3 weeks. If it's bad elsewhere I'll be continuing to avoid those places and stick to just doing the food shop twice a week.

Really depends on where you are. My local supermarket is at about 90% when I'm there. Town today was at around 50-60%. I was on my way west last week and stopped for a bit in Longford. I was getting odd looks from people and was the only one in a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I forgot my mask going out to buy petrol earlier and felt very self-conscious I have to say. Most people are wearing them now I think. Also saw a few people get kicked off the Luas the other day for not wearing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, I agree, and if you're strolling in the park, grand. If you're on the footpath of a city street or queuing outside a shop, maybe not.

These things are all incremental. A tiny risk that you take over and over again is no longer a tiny risk. Smoking one cigarette isn't harmful, but smoking one cigarette every 30 minutes for 20 years isn't a great idea.

But its not incremental is it? The virus will only survive so long without being able to replicate. So its more like the lotto than smoking, ie your chances essentially reset if you don't get it.

Advertisement