Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but then I read that the 3 clamp option is only available on a 3 phase system. Apparently myenergi were working on a firmware update to enable the 3rd clamp on single phase but I haven't found anywhere concrete to say it has happened.

Also as for wiring, he's bringing a Harvi with him when he comes back. That will resolve any queries on that front yes?

It works on single phase too. Latest firmware supports it. See feature list in this post.
    https://myenergi.info/zappi-2-firmware-release-v3-033-t2118.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Was just coming in here to post that, found the confirmation I need.

522023.jpg

Just doing the firmware upgrade now.

Also my Zappi is currently showing the grid draw on the screen. It didn't do this previously.

Just waiting for morning to come now so I can see if it is also showing the generation.

Also my Zappi is currently showing the grid draw on the screen. It didn't do this previously.

Just waiting for morning to come now so I can see if it is also showing the generation.

Aaaaagh...

After the update, we're back to 0.0 for the grid!

Been busy, so haven't had the chance to go searching for clamps and cables.

Quick question regarding the oddly wired CTs, am I right in thinking that once I get a Harvi in the picture I won't have to worry about wiring anyway as it will all be done wirelessly?

So I'll need 3 CTs:
    1 between the meter and the consumer unit
    1 between the consumer unit and the battery
    1 between the PVs and the inverter

Much like in this image, except why are there 2 clamps between the meter and the consumer unit, and none to read the PVs?

522092.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That's an AC-coupled battery setup. Doesn't apply to you as you have a hybrid inverter with battery next to the inverter.

Also the two clamps - you have the option to take either one. Left is the wireless and right is wired.

• Advertisement

Looks like a DC battery to me.
    AC batteries haven't been invented.

You know what I mean there Sir Pedantic-A-Lot :P

An AC coupled or grid tied battery? It's not just you Garo. I can't respect an industry that can't get its terminology right. Looks like a 2 000 000 000 000nAh.

Fair enough. You are correct of course. AC-coupled is what I should have written.

And the SEAI and the posted drawing. Someone is dumbing it down for us simpletons to understand....I'll go back to measuring round trip efficiency it's all a sham...

• Advertisement

Installer hopefully returning on Friday to resolve my issues. Bringing a Harvi for wireless clamping.

This is the location of my meter box and main fuse board. Board is just inside that back door.

522153.jpg

522154.jpg

Should the grid clamp be on the main line inside the meter box? And the Harvi?

I think the installation team put the clamps inside that fuse board box, as in behind the plastic cover.

Inside the fusebox is fine. Just make sure the correct wires are being clamped.

garo wrote: »
    Inside the fusebox is fine. Just make sure the correct wires are being clamped.

But am I right in thinking that the Harvi needs to be wired directly into one of those clamps? So inside the meter box would be easier than lumping another unit onto the wall beside the fuse box.

But am I right in thinking that the Harvi needs to be wired directly into one of those clamps? So inside the meter box would be easier than lumping another unit onto the wall beside the fuse box.

Each clamp gets plugged into the Harvi and then Harvi sends the data to Zappi.

More than likely they have both clamps inside your consumer unit, not in the meter box. At least, thats what would make most sense.

So you would need to mount the harvi on the wall next to the consumer unit as you will need to be able to see its lights for fault finding and in any case it would be unlikely to fit inside the consumer unit (or meet regs).... it needs to be on a wall where you can see it.

Having said that, not sure why he is going for a Harvi at all?! Wired is always better than wireless in the long term if you can do it.

The hard work is already done in your case and you have the clamps connected via wire to the Zappi so it sounds like a retrograde step to me to be putting in another piece of kit (another failure point) when all he has to do is configure them correctly (it appears he hasnt done it before). Get that sorted and forget about Harvi would be my recommendation.

Ahh, that's where I was mixed up.

I didn't realise that the Harvi needed each clamp wired in.

Yeah it would be a bit backwards then. Basically the cat-5 cable that already runs between the fusebox and the garage will have enough cabling to wire the 3 clamps directly to the Zappi.

Another question then and another step added to the mix. I have since got hold of an Eddi. Second hand via a guy in the UK.

How does that fit into the mix now? If I've used up my 3 Zappi clamps reading the generation, grid and battery flow, how does the hub/Zappi/Eddi get the info from 5 sources in order to direct things correctly?

*generation
    *house use
    *battery
    *Eddi
    *Zappi

The house takes priority, then the battery. The excess then goes to the car (if over 1.4kw) or to the Eddi (if under 1.4kw or the car is full/not plugged in).

So which unit compiles all that info and makes the call?

Not an Eddi expert but as I understand it it has its own clamp on the mains feed and diverts the excess after Zappi has decided whether it wants any excess for the car or not.

KCross wrote: »
    Not an Eddi expert but as I understand it it has its own clamp on the mains feed and diverts the excess after Zappi has decided whether it wants any excess for the car or not.

Gotcha. So the Eddi has a clamp but the Zappi doesn't care because Eddi only comes into play once the Zappi is done.

Gotcha. So the Eddi has a clamp but the Zappi doesn't care because Eddi only comes into play once the Zappi is done.

As I said, I don’t have the fine detail on the eddi but it does have a connection (wired or wireless) back to the Zappi so I presume you can change various settings for things like priority but you’ll need someone who has an eddi to comment as I don’t have an eddi but it does appear to have the ability to make its own decisions as it has its own clamp.

Another question then and another step added to the mix. I have since got hold of an Eddi. Second hand via a guy in the UK.

What did that cost?
    You’ll need to factor in install costs back to the consumer unit and to the immersion.

KCross wrote: »
    What did that cost?
    You’ll need to factor in install costs back to the consumer unit and to the immersion.

Got it for €250 inc installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Our new build has 1kW with a 1.5kW 'grid tied' inverter. I setup the WiFi last night so I could see the numbers. It got 700-900w this morning but since 10am it's been cloudy, 200-250w now with some spikes.

What sort of usage would 200-250w cover? Is it barely enough to run the fridge or would it be enough to cover the laptop or TV during the day? I try to use the washing machine or dishwasher during the day but I never thought to use timers, is it worthwhile trying to utilise low wattage in the morning when people are asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Our new build has 1kW with a 1.5kW 'grid tied' inverter. I setup the WiFi last night so I could see the numbers. It got 700-900w this morning but since 10am it's been cloudy, 200-250w now with some spikes.

What sort of usage would 200-250w cover? Is it barely enough to run the fridge or would it be enough to cover the laptop or TV during the day? I try to use the washing machine or dishwasher during the day but I never thought to use timers, is it worthwhile trying to utilise low wattage in the morning when people are asleep?

Do you know what the base load or idle load of your house is? Given you're looking at relatively low production I'd start looking at that, and then understand what excess power you have available beyond that.

thos wrote: »
    Do you know what the base load or idle load of your house is? Given you're looking at relatively low production I'd start looking at that, and then understand what excess power you have available beyond that.

Not sure, how would I be able to find that out?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure, how would I be able to find that out?

Basically look at what you're consuming during the day when you're not using any big appliances or anything.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Basically look at what you're consuming during the day when you're not using any big appliances or anything.

I understand what he meant by idle, I'm unsure of where/what/how can I check?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Depends on what software you've got on the inverter, or any other energy monitor tool you might have.

My Inverter gives me 'Demand' which I can graph and then see what the recurring low points look like.

You can get a monitor with a clamp to attach to your main line. I got one free from a user here, just paid for the postage. I'd pass it on your direction but I'll not be finished with it for a few days yet.

I have a pretty high use house, 400l tropical fish tank, 2 freezers, running around the clock.

My base load bounces between 250w and 400w.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are you supplying 'Donegal Catch' by any chance, with the fish tank and the freezers?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apologies, when you mentioned you set up he inverter on the wifi to see the numbers I assumed it would show your current consumption at a given time.

• Advertisement

That’s a small system. It will only primarily cover background load.

I wouldnt waste your time trying to manually manage the little excess you will have from it.

turning on things like immersions or dryers etc would consume multiples of what that system would produce.

Do you have night rate electricity? If not, then maybe turn on a wash or dryer while the sun is shining but don’t go OCD on it as the savings will be small. If you do have night rate electricity then you should be using that for your appliances rather than trying to second guess the cloud cover.

Advertisement