Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poured concrete houses

Options
  • 10-08-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

What is the general opinion of poured concrete homes.? Is it considered a standard building construction method.. Is there any issue with getting mortgage or house insurance? I am noticing more new developments that use this method.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not that common at all.
    Unless your talking about apartment blocks.

Have you got an example?
    But yes, concrete is standard construction and used in Ireland for many years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are you talking about ICF houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you are talking about ICF then it's not especially "common" but not unheard of either.

Haven't heard of any difficulties with mortgages or insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well concrete built is better built, as the concrete silos in Beirut showed in the aftermath of that tragic explosion.

newbie_diy wrote: »
    What is the general opinion of poured concrete homes.? Is it considered a standard building construction method.. Is there any issue with getting mortgage or house insurance? I am noticing more new developments that use this method.

What exactly are you noticing, concrete floors?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Well, my house is single wall poured concrete and it dates to 1936. There's literally never been a single crack in any of the walls, ever. It sure would benefit from external wall insulation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Poured concrete walls only or 100% concrete like the monstrosity on Grand Designs last week?
    Shuttered on site or precast slabs erected on site?

I shouldn't think it would be an issue - unless you go off-piste like the pair on Grand Designs who went 100% poured including the roof which gave the engineers a headache with the sums!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie_diy

Seen a few popping up like Sycamore grove in Glasnevin and Copeland place on the Howth Road. Here is a video by the construction firm erecting the one on copeland place. I think it's poured onsite so not ICF I think. But to be honest I know little about it which was why I was asking.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2SSPNC0WE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

deandean wrote: »
    Well, my house is single wall poured concrete and it dates to 1936. There's literally never been a single crack in any of the walls, ever. It sure would benefit from external wall insulation though.

+1

We had a poured mass concrete house for a few years.

Nothing was ever going to move it but holy crap it was like trying to heat a small mountain. The local oil company could have just parked up around the back of the house we had them out so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

My house is poured concrete, done off-site with insulation installed as well as ducting. Ready for painting inside and outside was basically scratchcoated finish. No issues at all with mortgage, insurance etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seen a few popping up like Sycamore grove in Glasnevin and Copeland place on the Howth Road. Here is a video by the construction firm erecting the one on copeland place. I think it's poured onsite so not ICF I think. But to be honest I know little about it which was why I was asking.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2SSPNC0WE

Sycamore Grove was concrete panels and not a poured concrete house as such.
    They were individually poured on site in moulds and then lifted into position.

There was no cost saving by the end of the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kevinmcg82

Who did your precast walls/elements??? I.e. name of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

If you have the space, go 50mm internal slabs in each room, will be much warmer

Advertisement