Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swift Hall Apartments Dublin 8

Options
  • 01-02-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anybody ever lived/know about Swift Hall Apartments in Dublin 8. The Apartment is located near St. Patricks Cathedral. I'm planning to buy a second hand two bedroom apartment here and would like to get suggestions from people who are familiar about the area and surroundings.

Your inputs would be of great help in deciding this deal.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

D8 is generally pretty safe, some areas are a bit rough round the edges. That area is somewhere in between but has the virtue of being busy.

You'll really need to scout out the area and see if you're happy as it will very much depend on your own tolerance for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Varatha

Thanks Mark for your comments.

My son is 3 years old and I've got a School seat confirmed in one of the schools close by. So giving first preference to that area and also city centre is not far from there.

Thanks,
    Varatha

Hi Folks,

Anybody got any more information on this?

Thanks,
    Varatha

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Dublin 8 is great value considering how close it is to the centre.

Even if it has a few spots that are 'rough around the edges' I am sure that over the next 5-10 years it is going to get more and more popular, especially the parts closer to the centre (Christchurch, Liberties, St. Pats, the Coombe, Clanbrassil).

Thanks Icwill.

I believe few areas are in the process of gentrifying and hopefully the areas close to city centre will get more popular in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH I don't think D8 is going to gentrify - not that it needs to. The areas are very settled and I can't see anyone (who hasn't already gone e.g. St Teresa's Gardens) going anywhere.

You have to bear in mind D8 encompasses an area with at least one Supreme Court Judge and one retired Irish Ambassador living and areas with the most hardened junkies going. The South CC around Christchurch will always be a bit rough and ready, that's just the nature of inner city Dublin, it's been like that all the way through the previous boom.

'Liberties Local Area Plan' in dublin.ie talks about the future development plans in Liberty area, Dublin 8. Not sure if this will happen but the study looks interesting and in-depth though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

May be handy link to anyone lookign for property in Dublin:

http://www.dailyedge.ie/alternative-dublin-maps-1374128-Mar2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JuliaFF

Hi Varatha,

I hope you are well.
    I found this post from 2013 in which you were asking about Swift Hall Apartments in Dublin 8. Did you end up buying it? What is your opinion of it? I am looking at an apartment to buy in the same building, my offer has already been accepted. But I have received an engineer report that says the building is not following fire compliances. Do you know anything about that? Thank you so much.
    Kind regards,
    Julia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Might be the OP you're purchasing from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

JuliaFF wrote: »
    Hi Varatha,

I hope you are well.
    I found this post from 2013 in which you were asking about Swift Hall Apartments in Dublin 8. Did you end up buying it? What is your opinion of it? I am looking at an apartment to buy in the same building, my offer has already been accepted. But I have received an engineer report that says the building is not following fire compliances. Do you know anything about that? Thank you so much.
    Kind regards,
    Julia

You need to be very careful here as if they have to bring these up to the required spec then there is likely to be an expensive bill. You could possibly factor this into the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

There is a difference between a building not following current fire compliance requirements and an actual fire defect in the building. The former can generally be resolved by changes to management practice, the latter will probably require big expenditure - get your engineer to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SomeFellih

Hi Julia,

I am looking at an apartment in the same building, did you find out if it is serious fire safety defects? I'm guessing it's pretty likely as its a celtic tiger build with a low BER rating,

Thanks,

Advertisement