Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Just outside 1,000 in Dublin. Not sure if that bodes well for me, but scored in the top 500 for the EO campaign (which would be my preference regardless.)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Irishder wrote: »
    Got the results of the aptitude test. Is the OOM in your county or does it include everyone who applied?

Score: 2717
    OOM 20
    County Waterford.

What are the chances of getting called to an interview. Is the interview pass/Fail and the OOM stays the same?

The OOM is on a county basis, so there is 19 people ahead of you. You will likely be among the first batch to be called in the coming days.

They have changed the process in recent years so I think the OOM will likely change after interview but batches are usual small especially outside Dublin (maybe 15-25). If they were to call a batches of 20 candidate, for example, and your OOM is 20 you could only move upward.

In saying that, they said in the Information Booklet that people with TCO experience in the last three years maybe able to skip the interview stage. If that does happen, the OOM can't be changed as they won't be able to compare candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Daz_ wrote: »
    That’s interesting . What’s the main benefit of taking the position then , to help with future permanent campaigns only ?

Several;

Staff are out because of illness, holiday, maternity etc and need to covered.
    It makes the unemployment figures look a tiny bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

Just under 450 OOM for Sligo, little disappointed with that given Sligo is a relatively small country. I'm assuming that I'd be unlikely to get anything with that result. Surprised at how many people most have applied for Sligo!

1. Its a paid position even if it is temporary,
    2. you get an insight into the work of the civil service to see if you like it and
    3. the experience you gain can be a good talking point in the permanent CO interviews.

Other benefits as mentioned, your time served count as a TCO count towards pay increments on the CO pay scales and, if you do get permanent CO, your TCO time can be counts towards eligiblity for internal promotion campaigns.

Points one to three make sense but because of the Byzantine way public jobs campaigns work your as likly to get a CO position if you never took up a tco poistion.

As for pay incrimants you need 12 months tco experience to get them and you need written confirmation from your manager that you were in the poistion, human remains letters aren’t good enough, even though every tco fills out a PMDS thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is 590 OOM in Dublin good - like is there likely thousands applied for it?
    Missed out on the top third by 1 point (2514)

First time ever applying for a public service job

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jobinphilip

Hi just checking on everybody's result. I got 160 on the merit in a county I applied because I thought there won't be much people but I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Hi just checking on everybody's result. I got 160 on the merit in a county I applied because I thought there won't be much people but I was wrong.

What county are you in.

Pippylo213 wrote: »
    I got 22 in Louth. How long does it usually take for interview rounds to be offered?

I was 15 a few years ago it was June before I got an offer

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I had an OOM of 147 in Limerick for the 2020 TCO campaign and passed my interview in February but heard nothing since.

Now I have an OOM of 223 so it's just a waiting game. Sorry I can't be more helpful to you guys :(

You were definitely affected by covid because I was 42 oom in Limerick and didn't get called this year.

• Advertisement

channing90 wrote: »
    295 in limerick is that any good ?

It really depends on how many vacancies. 1 year I was 314 and got a year's contract and another year I was 145 and didn't get a call

I was thinking there why would people take up these positions if for example there already on the 350 covid payment only to go back to 203 p/w after 12 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tibbles555

Hi All
    My Score: 2529

Qualifying Score: 1343

OOM 54
    County Laois.

What are the chances of getting called to an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scouseouse

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Just under 450 OOM for Sligo, little disappointed with that given Sligo is a relatively small country. I'm assuming that I'd be unlikely to get anything with that result. Surprised at how many people most have applied for Sligo!

I got OOM 378 this year for Donegal. I was OOM 50 last year and didn't get an interview. I think applicant numbers have shot up as so many here are out of work or in precarious work . I dont think I will get called for interview in Donegal this year if last year was anything to go by. I gained some extra qualifications in admin related skills during lockdown, but suspect I fall down on the psychometric testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SShannon97

Hi All,

I hope yous are all keeping well.

I have been in my permanent job for 3 years but reading everyones comments its unlikely you be kept on for a temp clerical officer.
    Just wondering has anyone left a permanent to go to temporary and be kept on. Or should i jusy wait to a permanent job is posted and apply.

So i got my results and was placed 287 in donegal is that good do you ever find out how many have applied.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

SShannon97 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I hope yous are all keeping well.

I have been in my permanent job for 3 years but reading everyones comments its unlikely you be kept on for a temp clerical officer.
    Just wondering has anyone left a permanent to go to temporary and be kept on. Or should i jusy wait to a permanent job is posted and apply.

So i got my results and was placed 287 in donegal is that good do you ever find out how many have applied.

Thanks everyone.

Don't leave a permanent job for this. People from the TCO panels can't just be made permanent or kept on. You might be lucky and get a year contract. On the other hand you might only get an 8 week contract. You have to go through the permanent Clerical Officer competition for any chance to be kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sophie717

Just got a message on PublicJobs with interview information, that was fast!
    Those of you who know the ins and outs of the competition, I am hoping you might be able to clarify a few things for me:

1. Dublin is a big county - Does the competition take into account where you are based? For example, could someone based in Tallaght be offered a position in Malahide?
    2. Have any of this years TCOs been working from home?

Thank you!

Sophie717 wrote: »
    Those of you who know the ins and outs of the competition, I am hoping you might be able to clarify a few things for me:

1. Dublin is a big county - Does the competition take into account where you are based? For example, could someone based in Tallaght be offered a position in Malahide?

Thank you!

That good to hear, was it just informational or was it the invite to interview stage you received? I assume they started with Dublin

You could be assigned to anywhere within your selected county depending on where the vacancy arises, I don't believe that differs in Dublin.

The general rule is that if they offer you a location which is more than 45 km, you can decline and remain on the panel. Unfortunately in your example Tallaght to Malahide would be less than that.

On your second question, I haven't heard of any TCO's working from home. Its possible some are, but I wouldn't be overly optimistic about your chances of getting a WFH position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Thank you!
    Last year, in the Cork panel, I was presented with a list of areas in Cork to select places I would be willing to commute to

Yeah I've been doing some work from home when the project allows over the last 5-6 weeks and likely continuing that way

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Thank you!

Last year I got offered a position somewhere on the other side of Dublin but because I don't have access to a car there was no direct route from where I was living at the time so I asked (very nicely) if there was anything else available in town. They were super chill about it and offered me another position with a slightly later start date.
    I guess it all depends which department you end up in as there may be more locations to choose from. If you get offered something that doesn't suit you at all there's no harm in asking for somewhere else. The worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EoghanG94

Hi. I got a message today to say that I have been called for stage 2, followed by this message:

"As you indicated that you have completed a TCO contract/s within the last 3 years, you will be required to provide references, for the period of the TCO contract/s in question, confirming satisfactory service and performance in the role. These references will be verified with the relevant Department. Other additional references may also be required for other recent employment."

I was a TCO this year, I'm just wondering how I go about providing references for my contracts? Or do I wait until I get offered a position.

Cheers

EoghanG94 wrote: »
    Hi. I got a message today to say that I have been called for stage 2, followed by this message:

"As you indicated that you have completed a TCO contract/s within the last 3 years, you will be required to provide references, for the period of the TCO contract/s in question, confirming satisfactory service and performance in the role. These references will be verified with the relevant Department. Other additional references may also be required for other recent employment."

I was a TCO this year, I'm just wondering how I go about providing references for my contracts? Or do I wait until I get offered a position.

Cheers

This is really positive news.

Do you have contact details of your EO, HEO or HR Administrator?

Normally its your HEO that give a reference.

I got an email saying I MAY skip the interviews as I’ve been a tco before but I have a suspicion that whatever letters I have will mysteriously be inadequate.

I’m in batch one so it sounded like I’d could be called jan/feb I was hoping for maybe end April at earliest, sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dried peanuts

I had 3 prior TCOs and they are still interviewing me. Black mark in the copybook?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ahem123

I had 3 prior TCOs and they are still interviewing me. Black mark in the copybook?

How do you know you're going to be interviewed? It mentions those " who are required"? Did you receive a different message?

Did you put them on your standard online application and were the TCO contracts in the last 3 years?

If so, you could email them and ask why your being asked to interview since you've been a TCO before.

I received a time and date for a Zoom interview

Yes and yes. Waiting on reply from them.

EoghanG94 wrote: »

Cheers

In future try and get one before you leave and also note that letters from HR are useless.

• Advertisement

In my interview for 2020 tco one the interviewers lead with “you resigned from your last contract”, I asked where did you get that information ? I can’t remember what she said but my reply was, no there’s was two tcos in that office and the other lad resigned. They both went right off me so it’s hard to know what goes on

Advertisement