Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

hi guys when i try to start this process i get a notification saying my Statement of Liability for 2017 has not been requested, but every time I try to request it in Review your Tax 2016-2019 I get a notification saying they are processing my most recent request first? should I just keep waiting for it to change? It's been about five days now and can't progress my application from the very first stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dpham178

Hello! Has anyone been able to get statement of liability for year 2020? We need to sign contract with house vendor soon (before mid January) and we want to get the maximum 30k of HTB so we need to include 2020 tax in our HTB application. I was told by Revenue that statement of liability is available on Jan 1 but no it didn't work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

dpham178 wrote: »
    Hello! Has anyone been able to get statement of liability for year 2020? We need to sign contract with house vendor soon (before mid January) and we want to get the maximum 30k of HTB so we need to include 2020 tax in our HTB application. I was told by Revenue that statement of liability is available on Jan 1 but no it didn't work today.

It takes about a week to process

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Hi,

Does anyone know if you are required to include 2020? If you have enough tax paid in '17 , '18 and '19 is it ok to use them in the application?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beefyor1983

B Rabbit wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you are required to include 2020? If you have enough tax paid in '17 , '18 and '19 is it ok to use them in the application?

Thanks in advance

Hi yes if you have enough in just 3 you can use them save you waiting for statement of liability for 2020

• Advertisement

Hi yes if you have enough in just 3 you can use them save you waiting for statement of liability for 2020

Thanks a million for the quick response!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rose_2

Hi, I had HTB last year of 30k which expired on 31/12. I went in to renew and selected 2016-2019 tax years for claim, and it showed up a ‘max claim 20 k’ click to continue. Needless to say I didn’t continue, I went back and selected 2017-2019 (which I think I used the last time but can’t remember) but this time the next screen just said confirm you wish to use 2017-2019 to continue. If my HTB comes back as lower than 30k for some reason, am I able to cancel it and wait until I can include 2020?
    I would assume it would be 30k, just like the approved HTB I had last year, however I was surprised to see including 2016 pushed it down to 20k as there wouldn’t have been much difference in my circumstances that year.
    Any insights appreciated thanks! Afraid of getting stuck with 20 when I could have had 30 😊

rose_2 wrote: »
    Hi, I had HTB last year of 30k which expired on 31/12. I went in to renew and selected 2016-2019 tax years for claim, and it showed up a ‘max claim 20 k’ click to continue. Needless to say I didn’t continue, I went back and selected 2017-2019 (which I think I used the last time but can’t remember) but this time the next screen just said confirm you wish to use 2017-2019 to continue. If my HTB comes back as lower than 30k for some reason, am I able to cancel it and wait until I can include 2020?
    I would assume it would be 30k, just like the approved HTB I had last year, however I was surprised to see including 2016 pushed it down to 20k as there wouldn’t have been much difference in my circumstances that year.
    Any insights appreciated thanks! Afraid of getting stuck with 20 when I could have had 30 ��

I saw the same, I'm assuming it's an error on the HTB site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Does anyone know if you have submitted the claim before year end but the developer hasn't drawn it down yet, would you need to reapply?

The claim still appears to be there on the system, which would indicate to me that you shouldn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Does FTB status ever lapse? My wife bought a house years ago with a previous partner.
    From what I understand, I now won't be entitled to FTB exemption due to this because we're married?
    Is there any way around this?
    All of my single friends are buying property without needing their 10% deposit due to this scheme but it looks like I need 20% cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,564 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does FTB status ever lapse? My wife bought a house years ago with a previous partner.
    From what I understand, I now won't be entitled to FTB exemption due to this because we're married?
    Is there any way around this?
    All of my single friends are buying property without needing their 10% deposit due to this scheme but it looks like I need 20% cash?

First time buyers status doesn't lapse unfortunately, the clue is in the name. If you've bought before you're not a FTB and if you go as a couple you're deemed as Second Time Buyers.

You can buy for yourself, marriage doesn't force you to take out the mortgage together but it can lead to it being messy down the line if things aren't clearly defined in a will. Would recommend you get a good solicitor possibly one that's dealt with this type of scenario before.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

You can buy for yourself, marriage doesn't force you to take out the mortgage together but it can lead to it being messy down the line if things aren't clearly defined in a will. Would recommend you get a good solicitor possibly one that's dealt with this type of scenario before.

I was under the impression that I couldn't apply as a single person because I'm married?

I was under the impression that I couldn't apply as a single person because I'm married?

You can, banks don't like it but you're under no obligation to apply jointly.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ConorC1

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I went back a few months in this thread and couldn't find anything similar.

Thinking of buying a new build with my wife for €450k. She is not working and we have AIP for a 225k mortgage and have the rest in combined savings. Given our LTV here is only 50% we do not qualify for HTB.

Is there any way around this or are we destined to miss out if we want to buy any house worth over 321k (70% LTV with 225k mortgage)

Thanks in advance

ConorC1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I went back a few months in this thread and couldn't find anything similar.

Thinking of buying a new build with my wife for €450k. She is not working and we have AIP for a 225k mortgage and have the rest in combined savings. Given our LTV here is only 50% we do not qualify for HTB.

Is there any way around this or are we destined to miss out if we want to buy any house worth over 321k (70% LTV with 225k mortgage)

Thanks in advance

unfortunately yes, HTB has that 70% LTV for a reason. You don't need Help To Buy to be able to afford a house. You are in an exceptionally good position.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the HTB rebate is paid back into the applicants bank accounts or to the developer for a new build?

I'm seeing mixed information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭This is it

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the HTB rebate is paid back into the applicants bank accounts or to the developer for a new build?

I'm seeing mixed information online.

The developer, you won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Has anyone here who availed of the HTB scheme also received a borrowing exception? Just wondering if it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Has anyone here who availed of the HTB scheme also received a borrowing exception? Just wondering if it's possible.

Yes. They have no effect on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Yes. They have no effect on each other.

Great stuff, thanks!

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    The developer, you won't see it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Is anyone having issues claiming Help To Buy for contracts signed in 2021?

Our contracts were countersigned by the developer this week. We re-applied for Help To Buy using 2016-2019 only to avoid waiting for 2020. The application in myAccount shows the max relief available as the full €30,000.

However, when we go through the claim process and enter the contract date as yesterday, the "Tax refund apportionment" step shows the total refund available as only €20,000. If I select a date in 2020 for the contracts, the full €30,000 is shown, but of course I won't submit this as the info is incorrect.

I think what is happening here is that the site was not updated since it was announced in the budget that the enhanced relief of €30,000 was being extended to December 2021 rather than ending in December 2020.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

jreanor wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues claiming Help To Buy for contracts signed in 2021?

Our contracts were countersigned by the developer this week. We re-applied for Help To Buy using 2016-2019 only to avoid waiting for 2020. The application in myAccount shows the max relief available as the full €30,000.

However, when we go through the claim process and enter the contract date as yesterday, the "Tax refund apportionment" step shows the total refund available as only €20,000. If I select a date in 2020 for the contracts, the full €30,000 is shown, but of course I won't submit this as the info is incorrect.

I think what is happening here is that the site was not updated since it was announced in the budget that the enhanced relief of €30,000 was being extended to December 2021 rather than ending in December 2020.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

That sounds like the problem alright. have you sent a message through ROS to let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

That sounds like the problem alright. have you sent a message through ROS to let them know?

Yes, I have. Hoping it doesn't take too long to resolve and cause any delay in closing.

Will update here if I get an update.

jreanor wrote: »
    Yes, I have. Hoping it doesn't take too long to resolve and cause any delay in closing.

Will update here if I get an update.

Do, we're in the same process

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    hi guys when i try to start this process i get a notification saying my Statement of Liability for 2017 has not been requested, but every time I try to request it in Review your Tax 2016-2019 I get a notification saying they are processing my most recent request first? should I just keep waiting for it to change? It's been about five days now and can't progress my application from the very first stage :(

Hi, wondering did you ever get this sorted as I'm seeing the same today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 djbergin

Did you ever get an answer on this? I’m in a similar situation. Deposit needed of €29500, help to buy eligible for full amount, but already paid €5k holding deposit to auctioneer. Will I still be about to draw down full HTB amount of €29500, even though I’ve already paid €5k, or will revenue subtract what I’ve already paid from the refund?
    Thanks

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Just wondering so i dont get caught out, im approved for the full 30grand and the value of the house will be 327000 so i will get 245k mortgage which will be 75%, on step 2 of my claim they ask for amount of deposit already paid, what does this mean for a self build and does it affect the amount i receive?

Step 2
    You will be asked to confirm details about the:
    - property
    - purchase price (if you are purchasing) or approved valuation (if you are self-building)
    - date of completion
    - mortgage
    - amount of deposit already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭This is it

A general mortgage question really, regarding deposit and HTB.

Say a house valued at 400k, so 40k deposit. I've read that HTB can be used as deposit. Is this true and if so would it be looked on unfavorabley if you had say 30k deposit saved and wanted to use 10k of the HTB for the remaining deposit?

Or is it a case you could pay the booking fee of say 10k then could add the remaining 20k saved and 30k from HTB and have a 340k mortgage?

In short, can HTB be used in part, or full, towards the deposit?

This is it wrote: »
    A general mortgage question really, regarding deposit and HTB.

Say a house valued at 400k, so 40k deposit. I've read that HTB can be used as deposit. Is this true and if so would it be looked on unfavorabley if you had say 30k deposit saved and wanted to use 10k of the HTB for the remaining deposit?

Or is it a case you could pay the booking fee of say 10k then could add the remaining 20k saved and 30k from HTB and have a 340k mortgage?

In short, can HTB be used in part, or full, towards the deposit?

You can use htb 30k plus your 10k savings towards deposit. Then use remaining 20k to reduce the total mortgage amount like you're saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

You can use htb 30k plus your 10k savings towards deposit. Then use remaining 20k to reduce the total mortgage amount like you're saying

Definetely, I think one of HTB conditions is that mortgage is at least 70% so seems that it could work here ☺️

Advertisement