Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Aodhan O'Riordan reminding us that if he caught me in bed with his wife he would ask if I wanted a go on his sister when I was finished:

https://twitter.com/AodhanORiordain/status/1161676012071137280

Imagine this fella being your dad.

I had to look him up after reading your post because I had always assumed Aodhan was married to a guy.
    He's married to a woman, and he has a child?
    Would never in a million years have guessed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

As someone once said, in 2021 there are only two types of fascists'.

The fascists, and the anti fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

This thread used to be better when it was just posting the over-woke nonsense. I wish it was like that again.
    Tom O Neil wrote: »
    Aodhan is the type of lad who wouldn't ask any questions if the baby came out half black.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Anyone else find it ironic that there's a false narrative going around of there being a problem with racism in this country because of one person getting stabbed by a courier defending himself and another person getting shot by the guards after refusing to put down a weapon having committed an assault that sent someone to A&E, yet nobody seems to have a problem with South American, predominantly Brazilian, couriers being targeted for assaults and theft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Re: Aodhan O'Riordan....Something slightly off about people who change their name to its gaelic version.

I've yet to meet one who is well versed in Irish history and can actually speak the language - which you might well expect they would be able to do. They seem to be claiming a sort of authenticity without doing anything to earn it.

Of course with such vigorous virtue signalling, you would expect them to be male feminists as well.

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    Re: Aodhan O'Riordan....Something slightly off about people who change their name to its gaelic version.

I've yet to meet one that is well versed in Irish history and can actually speak the language - which you might well expect they would be able to do. They seem to be claiming a sort of authenticity without doing anything to earn it.

Of course with such vigorous virtue signalling, you would expect them to be male feminists as well.

I dunno. I don't see a problem with it myself if they (and their ancestors) were Irish. I grew up speaking Irish fluently, but now in my 40s, I'd struggle to have anything more substantial than a few minutes of a fairly basic conversation. Although, admittedly, the only time I ever use my full name in Irish, is when I want to confuse foreigners. There's little point nowadays otherwise.

Now, if it was a Black lady with a very Irish surname, then I'd be a little bemused. I met a black woman recently with the same surname as mine, and my surname (in Irish) isn't terribly common (the English is common enough in my local area, but still, it would be weird to meet a non-white person with it). Made me do a double take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Biker79 wrote: »

I've yet to meet one that is well versed in Irish history and can actually speak the language - which you might well expect they would be able to do. They seem to be claiming a sort of authenticity without doing anything to earn it.

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin ... having no fewer than four fadas in his name must make him feel very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Wow..... Congratulations you've survived the accident, we gave you a blood transfusion but unfortunately you got aids now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I dunno. I don't see a problem with it myself if they (and their ancestors) were Irish. I grew up speaking Irish fluently, but now in my 40s, I'd struggle to have anything more substantial than a few minutes of a fairly basic conversation. Although, admittedly, the only time I ever use my full name in Irish, is when I want to confuse foreigners. There's little point nowadays otherwise.

Now, if it was a Black lady with a very Irish surname, then I'd be a little bemused. I met a black woman recently with the same surname as mine, and my surname (in Irish) isn't terribly common (the English is common enough in my local area, but still, it would be weird to meet a non-white person with it). Made me do a double take.

Yeah it is a tricky one. It is ripe for hijacking by the right-on, ID politics brigade though.

It's enough to generate a bleep on my Woke Radar Alerting system. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some gobsh1te on Newstalk saying that terms we use in a demeaning way towards people like "rat", "chicken" etc were offensive to animals...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Some gobsh1te on Newstalk saying that terms we use in a demeaning way towards people like "rat", "chicken" etc were offensive to animals...

James O'Brien (LBC radio) the other day was 'checking himself' for using the term blind in a metaphorical sense because he had been made aware now it might be offensive to blind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, PETA.

I make it a point of fact to not take seriously any organisation that would happily legalize bestiality so their members could freely make love to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

AllForIt wrote: »
    James O'Brien (LBC radio) the other day was 'checking himself' for using the term blind in a metaphorical sense because he had been made aware now it might be offensive to blind people.

He has some great calls and has some great views, but as he's as condescending as you can get as well and completely committed to wokeism.

He has some great calls and calls people out when needed.

And this is one of a few reasons I cannot abide listening to his show now.
    He can sometimes be very good but nah, the patronising and virtue signalling tone is a massive turnoff.
    He's turned into the Jamelia Jamil of radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cute, or virtue signalling?

image.png

biko wrote: »

Or promoting stupidity, since being that close would negate any of the protection offered by the masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

image.png

People having a bit if fun on their wedding day?

Absolute (unts, eh?

One image/collage means nothing. If people were shoving it down your throat, then yes possibly virtue signalling.

But if you have to go looking for it.. or it's not being forced upon you, then what?
    (Incidentally, I'm not saying you weren't out your way on this one.. but it's hard to say without context. Where did the image come from? Where was it posted?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Or promoting stupidity, since being that close would negate any of the protection offered by the masks.

Again.. no context so who knows.. weddings have been allowed at different times. I would assume it's not being posted as a poster for medical or social distancing advice. If it is, I absolutely agree with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He can sometimes be very good but nah, the patronising and virtue signalling tone is a massive turnoff.

Yea, Nick Abbot is gone the same way as well. TalkRadio is where it's at now.
    randd1 wrote: »
    He has some great calls and has some great views, but as he's as condescending as you can get as well and completely committed to wokeism.

Yeah he's very sharp, but even since Brexit he's picked a side.

Reminds me of a story I heard about an Asian looking woman on a train in Wales who was talking loudly to her children. An Englishman nearby got annoyed and shouted "WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE!", then a man next to him said, "She's speaking Welsh and we're in Wales!"

Yea, Nick Abbot is gone the same way as well. TalkRadio is where it's at now.

I still listen to Abbot, he can be very, very funny.
    I know what you mean though - he has a view and it never changes - but at least he had the balls to admit he'd miss Trump for the comedy aspect (for non-listeners, he *detests* Trump)

And his head-to-heads with some callers are fckin brilliant.
    I don't think he's woke at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He has some great calls and calls people out when needed.

I dont watch or listen to radio so I only see this guy O'Brien in clips and he strikes me as not being particularly bright or charismatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

image.png

Every single one of those photos depicts a white heterosexual bride and a white heterosexual groom!

Where's the diversity?? :mad:

Could you not find any images showing gay men, lesbians, black couples, Asian couples, or the differently abled? :mad:

It has to be the most disgustingly exclusionary and heteronormative thing I've seen all day. Seriously, it's 2021.

(:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Sounds like Sean Moncrieff

Invidious wrote: »
    Every single one of those photos depicts a white heterosexual bride and a white heterosexual groom!

Where's the diversity?? :mad:

Could you not find any images showing gay men, lesbians, black couples, Asian couples, or the differently abled? :mad:

It has to be the most disgustingly exclusionary and heteronormative thing I've seen all day. Seriously, it's 2021.

(:pac:)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0201/1194297-fake-covid-documents-travel/

The European law enforcement agency said it received intelligence on the alleged use of a mobile application by an Irish Mobile Organised Crime Group based in the south of the country, which allows for the manual falsification of test results.

Is this the new term for a Traveller Gang?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭COVID

Bambi wrote: »
    I dont watch or listen to radio so I only see this guy O'Brien in clips and he strikes me as not being particularly bright or charismatic

Bright enough to get the better of Farage the racist, and ubersnob Reece-Mogg, both encounters are available on YouTube.

On second thoughts, maybe you don't have to be particularly bright to best either of those two eejits.

• Advertisement

COVID wrote: »
    Bright enough to get the better of Farage the racist, and ubersnob Reece-Mogg, both encounters are available on YouTube.

On second thoughts, maybe you don't have to be particularly bright to best either of those two eejits.

He definitely skewered Farage.
    I listened live to the Rees-Mogg one - O'Brien completely failed IMO and I was egging him on, but Mogg swatted his gotchas away and O'Brien ended up sounding like a lunatic!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement