Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Never sent it in, only brought in two this year third on the way.They deal with swansey .Vrt guy could not count seats, only belts.. Had never seen or herd of a car with no belts. (classic car) Wanted belts installed or an engineers report .. got neither but IVVCC came to rescue..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭obi604

Have not read through the thread.........my question is: since Brexit, has the import of cars from the UK fallen off a cliff?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

obi604 wrote: »
    Have not read through the thread.........my question is: since Brexit, has the import of cars from the UK fallen off a cliff?

yes, but a lot of it by design. I wouldn't blame brexit on it, its just been one thing after another. Brexit was just the icing on the cake for SIMI and government, one of the positives in their minds.

We pay some of the highest prices in the world for very basic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭obi604

yes, but a lot of it by design. I wouldn't blame brexit on it, its just been one thing after another. Brexit was just the icing on the cake for SIMI and government, one of the positives in their minds.

We pay some of the highest prices in the world for very basic cars.

Thanks. I wonder have many people who based their livelihoods on importing cars from the UK have had to change career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wonder have many people who based their livelihoods on importing cars from the UK have had to change career.

I wonder about that too. There are loads of places that have that as their business model so when pre-existing stock is gone, are they finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

By the looks of it not many. Dealers are still bringing in older stock from the UK that clearly isn’t VAT qualifying. Not sure how their doing it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im aware of norther irish cars being ok to import here say if sitting on northern plate and owned by someone withe northern address.
    What paperwork is needed from a dealer if buying a uk plate car from them that has been in the north since before brexit.
    If dealer paperwork is enough to prove car was bought before brexit, id say the trade are up to all sorts of skullduggery.
    Plenty haulage companies willing to scribble out docket for haulage docket re transport to NI for any reg you like too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

Ok so further to my original posts about my Volvo t8 that was registered in feb 21, I’m even more confused now.

Originally it was registered here going off the v5 nedc rate of 55 co2 using Revenues WLTP “calculations” and so I got my reg cert with 80 co2 emissions.

I then queried the 80 wltp as officially the car is 73 wltp co2 and I provided them with proof.

I heard nothing back except this morning I received a new reg cert out of the blue.

The new reg cert says 55 co2 and when I check motortax.ie it says the basis for assemment is under the old nedc ?now I apparently owe motor tax cause I’m in a different bracket.

I was of the understanding that any cars being first registered here from jan 21 were to be on the wltp basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    Ok so further to my original posts about my Volvo t8 that was registered in feb 21, I’m even more confused now.

Originally it was registered here going off the v5 nedc rate of 55 co2 using Revenues WLTP “calculations” and so I got my reg cert with 80 co2 emissions.

I then queried the 80 wltp as officially the car is 73 wltp co2 and I provided them with proof.

I heard nothing back except this morning I received a new reg cert out of the blue.

The new reg cert says 55 co2 and when I check motortax.ie it says the basis for assemment is under the old nedc ?now I apparently owe motor tax cause I’m in a different bracket.

I was of the understanding that any cars being first registered here from jan 21 were to be on the wltp basis?

That's very interesting, I too received a new registration certificate, my previous one had CO2 at 149 (which is the WLTP equivalent of 125), the new one is the 125 figure. No other updates from them.

That’s interesting, I called revenue just now about my pending query on emissions and he said it wasn’t revenue that issued/prompted the new cert. maybe call vrt and ask them why u got a new cert?

I also emailed motor tax to ask them why I was sent a new cert.

If you put in your reg in the motor tax website it will tell you what basis your being taxed on now.

I’m very certain that all cars registered from jan 21 are to be under the wltp basis so I’m not sure what’s going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

That’s interesting, I called revenue just now about my pending query on emissions and he said it wasn’t revenue that issued/prompted the new cert. maybe call vrt and ask them why u got a new cert?

If you put in your reg in the motor tax website it will tell you what basis your being taxed on now.

I’m very certain that all cars registered from jan 21 are to be under the wltp basis so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Does it not depend on the age of the car that is imported as if all done using wltp then all pre 2008 cars for example would have maximum car tax.

Will check that out. I did get an update on myAccount to say they were working through a backlog.

I didn't see anywhere on motortax.ie to check the tax basis. I've already taxed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I had queried motortax post brexit with motortax office and they told me all cars to 08 still went on engine size and anything after that, the took their instruction from revenue ... so if revenue supply Nedc rate, then they tax on nedc rate, if revenue supply wltp rate, they tax it on that ... if revenue supply both nedc and wltp rate, then they take the wltp rate

LillySV wrote: »
    I had queried motortax post brexit with motortax office and they told me all cars to 08 still went on engine size and anything after that, the took their instruction from revenue ... so if revenue supply Nedc rate, then they tax on nedc rate, if revenue supply wltp rate, they tax it on that ... if revenue supply both nedc and wltp rate, then they take the wltp rate

Yes this is case but it seems Revenue can’t make up their minds at the moment, one minute it’s WLTP then they change it to NEDC out of the blue, and I’m trying to get them to change it back to the official WLTP.

Their vrt rate was based on WLTP..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Yes this is case but it seems Revenue can’t make up their minds at the moment, one minute it’s WLTP then they change it to NEDC out of the blue, and I’m trying to get them to change it back to the official WLTP.

Well as per the advice I given, they have to take wltp rate if available . They can’t pick wltp for the vrt then nedc for the other ... cock up there I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Was it a 2021 car you imported or older?

I'm certain it depends on age of the car that determines which tax system they use.

I'm pretty sure that it's the date of inspection that decides it.

In my case, they first wanted proof that I tried to book inspection last year.

Hopefully it's a mistake and will be corrected, but I don't know if it will be nedc (125 mg - 18%) or wltp (149 mg - 21%).

I have received 2 reg certs, first 149, then 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Qwerty1971

Hi all,

Probably covered before I know but I want to import a C-HR from the UK.

I've identified the model I want and I have sourced a "vat qualifying" car.

I have my own company registered in Ireland.

Can I buy the car net of vat through my company, then sell it to myself in Ireland with a vat invoice (thus negating the need to pay vat twice).

I think the C-HR is manufactured in the Toyota factory in the UK so might avoid the duty (though the 10% charge, if levied, is not a deal breaker).

Then I pay the vrt and nox and it's cleared?

I'm asking as my missus thinks it's a hare-brained scheme and is of the opinion that i always take the difficult route and end up costing us.

I'm not sure where she's got this idea from.

Qwerty1971 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can I buy the car net of vat through my company, then sell it to myself in Ireland with a vat invoice (thus negating the need to pay vat twice).

I think the C-HR is manufactured in the Toyota factory in the UK so might avoid the duty (though the 10% charge, if levied, is not a deal breaker).

I'm asking as my missus thinks it's a hare-brained scheme and is of the opinion that i always take the difficult route and end up costing us.

Buy it as a private person ex vat for direct export then pay irish vat vrt and nox on arrival here.
    I wouldnt involve the business at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm sure I read somewhere the C-HR is manufactured in Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

doney84 wrote: »
    Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm sure I read somewhere the C-HR is manufactured in Turkey.

Assembled in Turkey more like. The powertrain is UK built and other parts of the hybrid gubbins in either Japan or Poland. Very hard to see it avoiding the 10% customs duty.

Hi all,

Are you sure you're not married to my missus? I didn't know my wan had a twin! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Think she could be related to mine too.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

I've been living in Belfast for the past few years for work and have a Northern reg car, but will be moving back home over the border in the next few months. How can I find out if I'm eligible to avoid paying VRT when registering my car in the republic?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been living in Belfast for the past few years for work and have a Northern reg car, but will be moving back home over the border in the next few months. How can I findout if I'm eligible to avoid paying VRT when registering my car in the republic?

Cheers.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/transfer-of-residence.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Does anybody know if its okay to buy a new unregistered German built car in N.I. and import to ROI? As it will be exported / new means of transport it will be sold ex vat, so Im assuming Irish VAT, VRT and Nox will be due on importation here. Will Duty also be liable? Can t see any specific mention of importing brand new car in revenue site

Casati wrote: »
    Does anybody know if its okay to buy a new unregistered German built car in N.I. and import to ROI? As it will be exported / new means of transport it will be sold ex vat, so Im assuming Irish VAT, VRT and Nox will be due on importation here. Will Duty also be liable? Can t see any specific mention of importing brand new car in revenue site

Buying new, id imagine it will work out far more expensive than buying new here.
    Have.you done tyhe figures - duty will be due too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

mickdw wrote: »
    Buying new, id imagine it will work out far more expensive than buying new here.
    Have.you done tyhe figures - duty will be due too.

Significantly cheaper if not duty is payable as the new discounts available in the U.K. for cars Im looking at are massive - over 20%.

Are you sure that duty is applicable if buying via NI?

Significantly cheaper if not duty is payable as the new discounts available in the U.K. for cars Im looking at are massive - over 20%.

To be honest i wouldnt be sure everything is so new.

• Advertisement

If the car is bought in GB, I can't see how duty (if applicable based on manufacturing/component location) could be avoided. If bought in G B, even if brand new, it cant be put on the road there unless registered and motor tax paid. So, if it can't be put on the road, and it remains unregistered, it would have to transported. By the time it got here, it would have had to be declared to Customs on entry to the State.

Even if you bought in N.I., via one of the discount new cars sites (assuming they would deliver to N.I. AND assuming you could buy it ex U.K. VAT,) in almost every case I've seen these are pre-registered cars. So even then, they would attract the duty (if applicable).

Nice idea, but I can't see Revenue/Customs running with it..

Advertisement