Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S21 range launch january 14th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Got an email to say there was a problem with my S20+ trade in.

Faulty charging port.

I never had an issue whilst using it and would have barely ever been used as I have a wireless charging dock for watch and phone.

Says there is a €195 faulty fee.

Phone was only bought in July of 2020 so surely faulty charging port is covered under warranty.

Anyone any experience with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Joekers wrote: »
    Got an email to say there was a problem with my S20+ trade in.

Faulty charging port.

I never had an issue whilst using it and would have barely ever been used as I have a wireless charging dock for watch and phone.

Says there is a €195 faulty fee.

Phone was only bought in July of 2020 so surely faulty charging port is covered under warranty.

Anyone any experience with this ?

Seems like an issue that has occurred enough to be reported on, it should be covered under warranty unless they can prove damage. I'd take it up with them via phone and make your case.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s20-charging-issues-troubling-some-owners/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Got the s21 ultra during the week. A quick review coming from a Note 10+. Setting it up was quite straightforward thanks to the Samsung smart switch app. Transferred most of what I wanted over quickly.

- Camera quality is definitely improved but I was fairly happy with the Note 10 as it was.

- This is my first phone with 120hz refresh rate, it's nice but not a game changer the way some people rave about it. It would be a minor inconvenience if for some reason I had to go back to a 60hz phone.

- Fingerprint reader is noticeably better with very few failed reads so far, still not as good as optical but getting there.

- The weight is challenging but I'm getting used to it. On the upside is not as wide as the Note 10+ and no pointy corners.

- Battery seems good, full days use no problem which is all I want from a phone.

- Not really my thing but quality of sound from the speakers is quite good.

Overall I'm happy but feeling it wasnt a major upgrade from an 18 month old phone. I think this is the norm now due to mobile hardware plateauing in the last few of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Got the free Live Buds.

20210402-094311.jpg

Thinking to sell them for €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Got the s21 ultra during the week. A quick review coming from a Note 10+. Setting it up was quite straightforward thanks to the Samsung smart switch app. Transferred most of what I wanted over quickly.

- Camera quality is definitely improved but I was fairly happy with the Note 10 as it was.

- This is my first phone with 120hz refresh rate, it's nice but not a game changer the way some people rave about it. It would be a minor inconvenience if for some reason I had to go back to a 60hz phone.

- Fingerprint reader is noticeably better with very few failed reads so far, still not as good as optical but getting there.

- The weight is challenging but I'm getting used to it. On the upside is not as wide as the Note 10+ and no pointy corners.

- Battery seems good, full days use no problem which is all I want from a phone.

- Not really my thing but quality of sound from the speakers is quite good.

Overall I'm happy but feeling it wasnt a major upgrade from an 18 month old phone. I think this is the norm now due to mobile hardware plateauing in the last few of years.

Recommend to a friend?

I’m thinking Note20 Ultra coming from S9 Plus. 200 quid cheaper than S21U.

• Advertisement

Recommend to a friend?

Depends what you're looking for in a phone but in general I wouldn't recommend it at the current price. Note 20 Ultra would be a very nice upgrade from the S9+.

It can be got for just over 1k. You think the Note 20U is future proofed for next few years?

Recommend to a friend?

Actually only 130 quid in the difference.

It can be got for just over 1k. You think the Note 20U is future proofed for next few years?

Absolutely. Also Samsung are the best Android oem for supporting legacy devices. I believe they are now guaranteeing 4 years security updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That's very good

What way would it work in regards Wireless charging ? is there a unique super fast wireless charger

Super fast charging on Samsung devices is a bit of a misnomer when other manufacturers like One Plus, Xiaomi are supporting 60w plus charging and can get a device to 100% in just over 30 minutes. Samsung is considerably slower. Actually the S21 went backwards this year and only supports a max of 25w fast charging over USB C Power Delivery (PPS (programable power standard)). Slower than last years S20 which would support up to 45w.

Google Samsung EP-TA800. This is the official Samsung 25W adaptor. The phone won't make use of anything more than the 25W.
    https://www.mymemory.ie/samsung-galaxy-25w-3a-usb-c-fast-charging-adaptor-usb-c-cable-black-ffp.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8rYf7b57UqfyqVqRf4FiJ5Rf7nAFq4GQj0s0drGRkl6T5ZHM-pvTTHRoCAo0QAvD_BwE

Regarding a wireless pad, the situation is even worse. 15w is the max supported so again no point in buying anything better

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-galaxy-s21-wireless-chargers/#:~:text=Like%20many%20other%20high%2Dend,all%20support%2015W%20wireless%20charging.

I have the official Samsung one which is a bit pricey but charges phone, buds and watch overnight. It also comes with the 15w plug and usb-c cable
    https://shop.samsung.com/ie/wireless-charger-trio-black?from=kelkoo&gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8raZ_1ELjGGLqWEPIL48anCIS5wq-wEFKLx6UavfIwbTGsm7upMeqCxoCsq4QAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Cool ,id say Three should have that update by the end of the week

Battery life on my S21 Ultra is mediocre at best, get about 10 hours usage before its gets to 10-15%

Edit- Got the update just there, you have to go into your settings and search for it, it should appear

https://youtu.be/2mLytXyD9NU Have you tried this? I'm mostly getting over 24 hrs of battery life with fairly heavy usage. My screen brightness at roughly 80%. Using the s pen will use quite a bit more too obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Popey32

I got my s21 ultra 512Gb from a drop seller in China, waited over 3 weeks for delivery , it was considerably cheaper than here at1089€ . But all good in the end . I've just realised it's a snapdragon version, seems solid so far , battery lasting a day and half even with me playing with every setting and app .
    Haven't had a chance to take a moonshot as the moon hasn't been out since it arrived. I ordered cases from aliexpress which are nearly here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,941 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Popey32 wrote: »
    I got my s21 ultra 512Gb from a drop seller in China, waited over 3 weeks for delivery , it was considerably cheaper than here at1089€ . But all good in the end . I've just realised it's a snapdragon version, seems solid so far , battery lasting a day and half even with me playing with every setting and app .
    Haven't had a chance to take a moonshot as the moon hasn't been out since it arrived. I ordered cases from aliexpress which are nearly here

Took one a month or so ago on my Irish brought s21 ultra. Pretty happy with the quality

Popey32 wrote: »

I see WondaMobile are selling the Global Hong Kong version for 1190 so still cheaper than the 256GB/12GB Ram/Exynos model sold here.

https://www.wondamobile.com/mobile/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s21-ultra-5g-dual-sim-g9980-16gb-ram-512gb-unlocked.html

Only reason I didn't consider is I was concerned about bloatware. Any apps on your's specifically Chinese ones you cannot un-install or disable ?

In Europe the Exynos is pretty much neck in neck with the Snapdragon this year depending on what review you read and Android generally won't make use of more than 8GB ram. The 512GB storage is sweet though if you don't use the cloud alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Does anyone have a weird blur on their super slo mo camera or is it just mine

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

Had the s21 ultra on airplane mode while working. turned off airplane mode and the screen went black.
    iv tried forced restart etc and cant get the screen to work.. fairly annoyed at this, and if its a fault I'd rather a refund than a replacement. ridiculous for such a costly device.
    Anyone had the same issue, or know of a solution? thanks.

monster1 wrote: »
    Had the s21 ultra on airplane mode while working. turned off airplane mode and the screen went black.
    iv tried forced restart etc and cant get the screen to work.. fairly annoyed at this, and if its a fault I'd rather a refund than a replacement. ridiculous for such a costly device.
    Anyone had the same issue, or know of a solution? thanks.

From googling it seems like 'Samsung black/blank screen of death' is a rare but known issue that sometimes occurs. Seems like your only option is to contact support and hope they'll sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

Thanks, im trying to but as this is the only phone I have I am trying to do it via online.. which is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How's everyone finding the s21? Is it much different to the s20?

Was going to pick up a s20 but if the difference is very noticeable I'll go for the newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Flaccus wrote: »
    I have the official Samsung one which is a bit pricey but charges phone, buds and watch overnight. It also comes with the 15w plug and usb-c cable
    https://shop.samsung.com/ie/wireless-charger-trio-black?from=kelkoo&gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8raZ_1ELjGGLqWEPIL48anCIS5wq-wEFKLx6UavfIwbTGsm7upMeqCxoCsq4QAvD_BwE

Just on wireless charging i've used it for years at home and more recently in work but now i just use the plug at home as i read somewhere that wireless charging is worse for the battery long term as opposed to plug charging. Could be absolute BS of course but it's in my head now. I do look the look of the triple charger though as like you i have all three devices.

Edit - reading about wireless charging now and it seems the exact same as plug so dont know where i heard it originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

On every Samsung I've had (S7, S9 and a tablet) , the charging port wears out after about 2 years (it still works but is very fussy about cable positioning).

jones wrote: »
    Just on wireless charging i've used it for years at home and more recently in work but now i just use the plug at home as i read somewhere that wireless charging is worse for the battery long term as opposed to plug charging. Could be absolute BS of course but it's in my head now. I do look the look of the triple charger though as like you i have all three devices.

Edit - reading about wireless charging now and it seems the exact same as plug so dont know where i heard it originally.

The noise from the fan does my head in for Wireless charging, I know you can turn it off by switching to normal charge instead of fast charge but i paid enough for my phone so i want the fastest possible

The noise from the fan does my head in for Wireless charging, I know you can turn it off by switching to normal charge instead of fast charge but i paid enough for my phone so i want the fastest possible

No fan on the new 3 device wireless charger from Samsung. Silent as a mouse.

Also Irish company Phonesonline is the quickest way to get the official 25w fast charger for your S21.
    https://www.phonesonline.ie/samsung-ep-ta800-3-amp-type-c-2-pin-eu-super-fast-charger.html

I mentioned MyMemory.ie before but they are shipping from UK and I am waiting 3 weeks for my order.

[QUOTE=Flaccus;116831741]No fan on the new 3 device wireless charger from Samsung. Silent as a mouse.

Also Irish company Phonesonline is the quickest way to get the official 25w fast charger for your S21.
    https://www.phonesonline.ie/samsung-ep-ta800-3-amp-type-c-2-pin-eu-super-fast-charger.html

I mentioned MyMemory.ie before but they are shipping from UK and I am waiting 3 weeks for my order.[/QUOTE]

Could you send a link for that please

Mymemory.ie can be brutal with there shipping, i ordered a portable charger last year and was waiting about 2 months for it. I get a refund and the items arrived the next day. They asked me to send them if it arrived but they let me keep them and had to repay. won't be rushing back to buy off them again

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

Lads I've had the S21 since launch, direct from Samsung and i only just realised, nearly 3 months later, the phone is dual sim! Not just 1 physical sim + esim, it actually can hold 2 physical sims!

I'm a clown :pac:

Is 5G from Three worth signing up for ?, My new sim only plan is starting next week

Strongly considering getting that new silent wireless charger

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

Is 5G from Three worth signing up for ?, My new sim only plan is starting next week

Strongly considering getting that new silent wireless charger

Definitely worth signing up for 5G if you're sure ye can get it! I'm in the south east and getting around 500Mb down. There's a fella in D2 on the other thread who's getting over 1,000Mb! Madness altogether

feargantae wrote: »
    Definitely worth signing up for 5G if you're sure ye can get it! I'm in the south east and getting around 500Mb down. There's a fella in D2 on the other thread who's getting over 1,000Mb! Madness altogether

Waterford City based myself, ill def consider it

Bought the trio charger off samsung, i could of got it cheaper off Mobilbefun Ireland but it only comes with an EU plug and not a Uk one

Got the new 3 in 1 wireless charger from Samsung, very slick and also comes with the super fast charging plug

• Advertisement

Could you send a link for that please

Mymemory.ie can be brutal with there shipping, i ordered a portable charger last year and was waiting about 2 months for it. I get a refund and the items arrived the next day. They asked me to send them if it arrived but they let me keep them and had to repay. won't be rushing back to buy off them again

Sorry only saw this now. It's the Samsung Wireless Charger Trio

https://www.samsung.com/ie/mobile-accessories/wireless-charger-trio-p6300-ep-p6300tbeggb/

My memory.ie order for the official 25w Samsung "superfast" charger never arrived. They said up to 19 days to Ireland. Foolishly when I ordered I never checked it was coming from the UK. They gave me the run around. I eventually escalated to Pay pal so expect a refund any day now. Useless shower.

Anyway, I got the official 25w charger from these guys in Wexford within 3 days.
    https://www.phonesonline.ie/samsung-...t-charger.html

Advertisement