Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Another thing worth factoring in is that, whatever about the “it’s 2021” ****e, it was a really random gear change for a date that was going quite well. Like it came across as challenging or confrontational when there had just been no need. We don’t even know if she’d have offered or insisted to pay because he didn’t even give her a chance before making it a ‘thing’ and getting stuck in his own head about issues or ‘rules’ he has.

I remember, for example, I went on a date that was going really well and it got to a point where we’re walking through the city and it felt like we were naturally going to kiss. When that happened, she just changed completely and said some waffle about how she has a rule against kissing on first dates. I left it so and didn’t look to force the issue, she has no obligation to kiss if she doesn’t want to and it’s not like I’m absolutely desperate for a shift either, plus people can have these hang-ups for all kinds of fair reasons. But then she started acting weird, like it was a game where I really wanted to kiss her (I didn’t and wasn’t trying to) and she was holding out, like some weird power play. The next day I texted to say it’d been nice but I was gonna leave it. She seemed surprised and asked why, so I told her. At first she flipped and started acting all feminist like I was trying to force her to kiss me but I was able to calmly explain that the issue was it felt like she was playing a game with me and I’m not into that. She sent about 4-5 apology texts since (including one like a year later). I don’t regret that decision.

Point is: regardless of the issue, it’s VERY jarring and off-putting when you’re on a first date, feel like you’re connecting and in-sync, and the other person just pulls the rug out from you and tries to play games/assert themselves as the alpha or whatever they’re thinking. And I’ve no sympathy for people that do that kinda stuff and end up holding their dick at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

[quote="leggo;116835079"

I remember, for example, I went on a date that was going really well and it got to a point where we’re walking through the city and it felt like we were naturally going to kiss. When that happened, she just changed completely and said some waffle about how she has a rule against kissing on first dates. I left it so and didn’t look to force the issue, she has no obligation to kiss if she doesn’t want to and it’s not like I’m absolutely desperate for a shift either, plus people can have these hang-ups for all kinds of fair reasons. But then she started acting weird, like it was a game where I really wanted to kiss her (I didn’t and wasn’t trying to) and she was holding out, like some weird power play. The next day I texted to say it’d been nice but I was gonna leave it. She seemed surprised and asked why, so I told her. At first she flipped and started acting all feminist like I was trying to force her to kiss me but I was able to calmly explain that the issue was it felt like she was playing a game with me and I’m not into that. She sent about 4-5 apology texts since (including one like a year later). I don’t regret that decision..[/quote]

You sure dodged a bullet there!!! Fair play to you for recognising it or it would have been a relationship full of drama and tests and dancing to her tune. The begging a full year later - yikes imagine what breaking up with her had you been dating for months would have been like!

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbh I couldnt disagree with you more. He had a 2nd date locked up. It looked like they had had a good time. He should have at least offered to pay and not jump in with "splitsies". Its not a teenage trip to the cinema.

His attempt to walk it back was also brutal. Honestly it's a sign of someone playing stupid mind games with the I was only testing you shtick. Why test her? What was the point.

Showed himself up horribly there.

Didn't just shoot himself in foot....he used a bazooka....and then reloaded and fired again with his ridiculous attempt at " reversing"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Why was it such a huge issue for her to be asked to split the Bill??

Why is it “taboo” for him to ask to split it.

Maybe he had no intention of saying yes to another date with her?

I've just watched it back a couple of times. A bit like VAR, or an action replay, you tend to see things a bit differently the second time round. I got the feeling last night that as the date went on, he just wasn't 100% into her. I think that even more watching it the second time round.

As someone said above, he may have felt she was a bit 'uncouth'. He was thrown a bit when she said 'GFF' - 'Good for a ****'. He is after all a Foxrock lad, maybe he wants someone more demure in personality.

When you listen to his comments afterwards when he is alone in the 'interview room', he certainly wasn't gushing about her, there were no real butterflies.

I think he regrets offering to split it as it made him look bad, or maybe he just saw something in her reaction. She agreed to split immediately, but she was thrown, you could see that. I think she would have been happy for a second date if he had either offered to pay, or if he had gone first in the interview room. Either way she's of a generation where she expected to be treated the first night out, that didn't happen.

It's an odd one, as she seems to have everything going for her, but we only get to see 10-15 mins of 2 hours, maybe he made his mind up long before the bill arrived.

I just think, as good looking she is, that he just wasn't into her, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Rachel (red head) is a twitter personality. Probably just went on to have some content for her twitter.

Ultra woke also.

" Ultra Woke "

Well I'd never have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Many will disagree but I thought she was quite uncouth compared to him.

Southside v Northside thing do you think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KevRossi wrote: »
    I've just watched it back a couple of times. A bit like VAR, or an action replay, you tend to see things a bit differently the second time round. I got the feeling last night that as the date went on, he just wasn't 100% into her. I think that even more watching it the second time round.

As someone said above, he may have felt she was a bit 'uncouth'. He was thrown a bit when she said 'GFF' - 'Good for a ****'. He is after all a Foxrock lad, maybe he wants someone more demure in personality.

When you listen to his comments afterwards when he is alone in the 'interview room', he certainly wasn't gushing about her, there were no real butterflies.

I think he regrets offering to split it as it made him look bad, or maybe he just saw something in her reaction. She agreed to split immediately, but she was thrown, you could see that. I think she would have been happy for a second date if he had either offered to pay, or if he had gone first in the interview room. Either way she's of a generation where she expected to be treated the first night out, that didn't happen.

It's an odd one, as she seems to have everything going for her, but we only get to see 10-15 mins of 2 hours, maybe he made his mind up long before the bill arrived.

I just think, as good looking she is, that he just wasn't into her, nothing wrong with that.

did he not say he fancied her?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Maybe he genuinely felt intimidated by her looks, he was really punching in terms of looks. Some guys and girls do get intimidated,doubt themselves if the other person is a lot better looking.

It is not all about looks, far from it but for some people it can mean a lot.

I thought Barbara was nice albeit potentially a bit Edna Krabappel the way she was talking. I was sure Miley from Glenroe was going to get another date until he made a complete mess of the bill situation. I know it is 2021 but why not just pay the €50 and see where it went after that, lots of time to find out if she's high maintenance.
    I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul seemed like a good match but I wouldn't be sure she wouldn't be an insufferable individual.
    The gay guys were the nicest gays on the series to date. They seemed really nice.
    The other couple were a bit meh for me. He was nice, she was a motormouth.
    It wasn't a great episode for me.

The milenials with the glasses were both insufferable, they are a great match

Incredibly boring people, hope they are very happy

• Advertisement

Maybe he genuinely felt intimidated by her looks, he was really punching in terms of looks. Some guys and girls do get intimidated,doubt themselves if the other person is a lot better looking.

It is not all about looks, far from it but for some people it can mean a lot.

She was way out of his league and quite sexually forthright ( in a really attractive way I might add ), perhaps he was intimidated, maybe he deliberately sabotaged the date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

did he not say he fancied her?

He said she was great looking, certainly looks wise no issue, but he said a couple of other things where her personality didn't match his.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    She was way out of his league and quite sexually forthright ( in a really attractive way I might add ), perhaps he was intimidated, maybe he deliberately sabotaged the date ?

Could have put him off. Either way I thought they were both nice in their own way, just didn't seem to match up. And that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Still Ill wrote: »
    Test it on the second date then! Not on tv and make yourself look a prat! I'm in my thirties and I think the guy should always pay on First Dates unless the the girl acting absolutely terribly or she's putting up huge resistance to him paying. Guys who don't pay generally come out of it looking really badly. It's just not worth it for the sake of €50. There's plenty of times to assess later if she's the type to just bleed them dry.

Thought the red head guy dealt with the bill very well with what could've been an awkward situation, given you'd have strong suspicions she might have been a hardline feminist. Thought he was brilliant overall on his date. Came across very well.

This comment is the female version of a man saying a woman should make the dinner at home.

Completely out of date and sexist.

I thought Barbara was nice albeit potentially a bit Edna Krabappel the way she was talking. I was sure Miley from Glenroe was going to get another date until he made a complete mess of the bill situation. I know it is 2021 but why not just pay the €50 and see where it went after that, lots of time to find out if she's high maintenance.
    I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul seemed like a good match but I wouldn't be sure she wouldn't be an insufferable individual.
    The gay guys were the nicest gays on the series to date. They seemed really nice.
    The other couple were a bit meh for me. He was nice, she was a motormouth.
    It wasn't a great episode for me.

Anyone who uses twitter would probably see her pop up on their pages often enough. She is indeed a headwrecker.

She had this thing a few months ago where she changed her name to "hoofin' [enter surname, not sure if her surname was named on the show]"

She then proceeded for weeks making tweets like: "Imagine Marty Morrisey there hoofin' it into ya!"..."Imagine Micheal Martin there hoofin' it into ya!"

A complete headwrecker. Not sure I can post a twitter profile even though she's a bit of an Irish twitter personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Totally, I just watched it on playback there and God he was totally punching.
    She can find a much more fun and chilled out fella. He was a bit of a bore and not attractive at all.

Why do so many gay people go on this show?

So the gay community is tiny in Ireland and they all seem to know each other when they meet...you'd wonder why they'd bother running the risk of it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

This comment is the female version of a man saying a woman should make the dinner at home.

Completely out of date and sexist.

Well, I'm a man, so I'd be the person who's willing to pay for the dinner. Despite you thinking it's out of date and sexist you'll find that a lot of men and women feel the same about it even in this day and age. We've seen plenty of proof of that in the show over the years.
    I also said I'd pay unless the woman put up resistance. I wouldn't be forcing a feminist who 100% believes in equality in every form to accept me paying for them. I just think it's a nice thing to do.
    As for thinking it's the equivalent of saying a woman should make the dinner at home, I can assure you I'm happy enough making my own dinner and wouldn't expect any woman to make it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Last night's older couple were the first older couple I didn't like

I liked the gay couple and hope they are still together, even as a Taylor Swift fan none were overly camp or ott

I liked Miranda, I'd say she was nervous so talked too much

I will say fair play to anyone who goes on it, bravo to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have applied for the next series and i fully intend to say at the start of the meal that as I earn my own money I would like to share the cost. I will be saying it at the start of the meal so that nothing can be read into it and my intentions to say yes/no afterwards. How do people feel about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I have applied for the next series and i fully intend to say at the start of the meal that as I earn my own money I would like to share the cost. I will be saying it at the start of the meal so that nothing can be read into it and my intentions to say yes/no afterwards. How do people feel about that?

I'm actually delighted to see you've applied. Fair play to you. From your posts here you seem like a good, fun person.

With the bill thing, I wouldn't bother saying that. Just go and enjoy yourself. When the bill comes you can explain that you earn your own money and offer to pay or split it.

I'm actually delighted to see you've applied. Fair play to you. From your posts here you seem like a good, fun person.

With the bill thing, I wouldn't bother saying that. Just go and enjoy yourself. When the bill comes you can explain that you earn your own money and offer to pay or split it.

I do think I am ok but how I would come across with cameras on is another matter. I don't know if I would want to share as much as they seem to be comfortable with every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I do think I am ok but how I would come across with cameras on is another matter. I don't know if I would want to share as much as they seem to be comfortable with every week.

You can go on it can't you and be one of the couples in the bg? Aka not be one of the 'featured' couples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Last night's older couple were the first older couple I didn't like

I liked the gay couple and hope they are still together, even as a Taylor Swift fan none were overly camp or ott

I liked Miranda, I'd say she was nervous so talked too much

I will say fair play to anyone who goes on it, bravo to them

The older couple , her story about her ex reminded me alot of the Mary Gaugh Whelan murder. I think he was abit intimidated by her, she does kept coming out with stuff he didn't seem to have a clue about (her jokes) ...her face was like thunder though when he said "splitsies" ....I do wonder about editing though....he seemed fine at the meal but then in the final interview he was so flushed like he had just sank a few whiskeys. Maybe he was just mortified.

You can share as much or as little as you want. If you dont want to get into anything too personal just keep it to nice, light conversation like hobbies, why you decided to apply or whatever. I'm sure you'll come across fine. Nobody comes across too terribly in general tbf.

Lesalare wrote: »
    You can go on it can't you and be one of the couples in the bg? Aka not be one of the 'featured' couples?

The background daters before covid were couples already, not first daters. My missus and I thought about going once but didn't. With covid, the background daters were housemates or family members of the first daters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope you get on it and enjoy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Barbara looking good/ hot at 57

Smoking

I would and she's got twenty years on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kaleb Quick Handshake

Rachel (red head) is a twitter personality. Probably just went on to have some content for her twitter.

Ultra woke also.

saw her twitter, she has an opinion on everything doesnt she....she's bit of a headwrecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

No

You invite a woman out to dinner and you pay for it

Basic manners

Whoever asks pays
    Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Don't forget to give us shout out ;)

To thine own self be true

Don't forget to give us shout out ;)

Of course I will. I'll try wrangle boards into the conversation, even if it's floorboards and I'll let you all know what week I am on. My youngest daughter youngest son are the ones who encouraged me to go for it. I was surprised really. I hadn't even mentioned it to them.

• Advertisement

The background daters before covid were couples already, not first daters. My missus and I thought about going once but didn't. With covid, the background daters were housemates or family members of the first daters.

My friend applied and was a background dater, the programme makers decide who are the main daters and who's in the background.

My friend applied and was a background dater, the programme makers decide who are the main daters and who's in the background.

Ah fair enough. Just not all the background daters will be first daters who applied to go on the show. Some are just couples on a night out.

You GO KATHLEEN.....fair play ,well done & huge KUDOS to you. Heres hoping you get picked.....Itll be a sellout!!! As another poster said I personally WOULDN'T kick off with the " im paying my half" line.....its a wee bit " meh, whatever".... like, we're all HOPING Kathleen is going to meet her prince in shining armour, her soul mate.......so what real difference is a restaurant tab going to make in the ' big scheme' of things?? Now, of course, if he comes out with a word like " splitzies" at the coffee stage... I'll expect nothing less than you to pour a glass of red wine over his head

You GO KATHLEEN.....fair play ,well done & huge KUDOS to you. Heres hoping you get picked.....Itll be a sellout!!! As another poster said I personally WOULDN'T kick off with the " im paying my half" line.....its a wee bit " meh, whatever".... like, we're all HOPING Kathleen is going to meet her prince in shining armour, her soul mate.......so what real difference is a restaurant tab going to make in the ' big scheme' of things?? Now, of course, if he comes out with a word like " splitzies" at the coffee stage... I'll expect nothing less than you to pour a glass of red wine over his head

Wow thanks but you know how it is. A person's personality on an anonymous online site might be hugely different to real life. I could be a boring auld wan.

I don't have any expectations of a knight in shining armour. I just want some nice, kind man who is easy to get on with and won't turn out to be a lazy, selfish ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why do so many gay people go on this show?

So the gay community is tiny in Ireland and they all seem to know each other when they meet...you'd wonder why they'd bother running the risk of it happening.

There’s a certain type of gay man who seems to be very into getting tv publicity and then build on it so they get invited to media events/ product launches

Often they will have a “flamboyant” style or manner designed to stand out and get attention.

Some veer over to overbearing, annoying or rudeness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Wow thanks but you know how it is. A person's personality on an anonymous online site might be hugely different to real life. I could be a boring auld wan.

I don't have any expectations of a knight in shining armour. I just want some nice, kind man who is easy to get on with and won't turn out to be a lazy, selfish ****.

Fair play to you. Huge admiration for you and I sincerely hope you meet someone special.

Re the bill business. I think you should just go, be yourself and enjoy the evening. Let it flow and decide what to do about the bill at the end. It is after all the most natural time to deal with it. Anything else is just injecting an awkwardness into the situation.

saw her twitter, she has an opinion on everything doesnt she....she's bit of a headwrecker

whats her twitter name ?

whats her twitter name ?

Is it allowed to be posted?

Was her full name said on the show?

Just seen Rachel and Ben were on a podcast today going on about their experiences on the show.

These publicity seekers should be weeded out of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I don't understand the big deal about paying for a meal. It's only around €30 each; unless you're having dinner with a homeless person, it should always be 50/50 on principle. Why should I buy a stranger a meal? Otherwise, I'd be expecting at least a handjob on the escalator down :pac: Actually, WTF? Why don't RTE pay for the meals, the cheap bastards? Absolutely ridiculous that the contestants even have to have this stupid moment in every episode.

Quite a few tragic tales going on last night as well. I was actually laughing at it, it's so cynically done by RTE. Slipping in one sad story is fine, but when they are all at it, it's ridiculous.

Is it allowed to be posted?

Was her full name said on the show?

I dont think her full name was posted but her Twitter handle doesn't have her name on it either so wouldn't make a difference.

But if you searched #FirstDatesIRL on Twitter she is about the 5th or 6th tweet down. She seems quite pìssed off that the royal death got such coverage today.

She seems quite pìssed off that the royal death got such coverage today.[/QUOTE]

Had a look at that there......that's the UNDERSTATEMENT of the day!!!!!!!

Had a look at that there......that's the UNDERSTATEMENT of the day!!!!!!!

Lol. Yeah. Didnt want to over sell it :pac:

I'm not on twitter. Was it bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

He said she was great looking, certainly looks wise no issue, but he said a couple of other things where her personality didn't match his.

I was surprised at most of the people here thinking that they were odds-on for a second date until he ballsed it up ... I got the impression that she wasn't all that pushed, and the same for him as the show went on. He did say that she was good-looking, but as you say, I think he realised they weren't a match.

Still painful watching his 'splitsies' suggestion and her reaction.

• Advertisement

I'm not on twitter. Was it bad?

Nothing overly bad said tbf. Just a lot of giving out.

I was surprised at most of the people here thinking that they were odds-on for a second date until he ballsed it up ... I got the impression that she wasn't all that pushed, and the same for him as the show went on. He did say that she was good-looking, but as you say, I think he realised they weren't a match.

Still painful watching his 'splitsies' suggestion and her reaction.

He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

She was a stunner for 57

Too many on this show just looking for publicity.

That Sex Siopa was on it and now she's on RTE often (there's even a new article on here at this minute)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Just had a look at that red heads twitter, I have never seen someone tweet so much, it is like she tweets every 5 minutes.
    I don't care about the royal family and think it is a prehistoric idea but why does she feel the need to almost gloat about the death of a very old man, you would think he was her enemy or something, was it not her who was talking about how the death of her mother made her depressed? "feel sorry for me but lets all laugh at the death of prince Philip". TWAT.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Just had a look at that red heads twitter, I have never seen someone tweet so much, it is like she tweets every 5 minutes.
    I don't care about the royal family and think it is a prehistoric idea but why does she feel the need to almost gloat about the death of a very old man, you would think he was her enemy or something, was it not her who was talking about how the death of her mother made her depressed? "feel sorry for me but lets all laugh at the death of prince Philip". TWAT.

I put her profile into a twitter analyser and it said she tweets about 50 times a day on average.

That means if she's awake 14 hours a day, she sends a tweet on average every 17 minutes, for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement