Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Diultach. I have no idea what it means but one of my daughter's friends is so named.

Negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

griffin100 wrote: »

Already a compo sponger as well how fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Diultach. I have no idea what it means but one of my daughter's friends is so named.

Dualtach is the proper spelling .

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Scoundrel wrote: »

Incredible story there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There was a kid in my school around 1980 who insisted in taking Lucifer as his Confirmation name. Teachers objected, but fair fücks to the kid, he argued that it was a valid Biblical name of an angel, and not in any way Satanic. The Bishop conferred him Lucifer.

Same idea with someone I know - he took the confo name Elmo.
    The bishop had to have it confirmed that he was a saint (patron of Sailors), before continuing with the ceremony.

• Advertisement

She is a six-year old child. This legal case is not her responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The bishop had to have it confirmed that he was a saint (patron of Sailors), before continuing with the ceremony.

My youngest son took Fechin. Smartarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Witchie wrote: »
    My youngest son took Fechin. Smartarse.

Lol

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s brilliant, I’m regretting being a boring prick and choosing a run of the mill name for mine...

Elmo would have been miles better..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sheering

Girl I know recently called her young fella Odin.

Fcuk sake.

I think it's a cool sounding name. Ya know, if you can get past the god of war thing. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Lol fair fex to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good choon too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Yeah I'd say she'll see that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Knew a lad once who's name was Oriel, which he hated with a vengeance, (far too close to Ariel), and so, in the school yard he became Ariel, either the washing powder or the thing on your roof, so when he was in his 20s he changed his name to Nigel.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

griffin100 wrote: »

Somebody please tell that judge Santa is not as real as he seems.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,004 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Knew a lad once who's name was Oriel, which he hated with a vengeance, (far too close to Ariel), and so, in the school yard he became Ariel, either the washing powder or the thing on your roof, so when he was in his 20s he changed his name to Nigel.

True story.

Jaysus, Nigel is worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Heard in an Irish forestry yesterday..a parent shouting for their 'Arianna'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

sydthebeat wrote: »

Are people still called Nigel these days?
    Same as Margaret or Brid.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

sydthebeat wrote: »

Are people still called Nigel these days?
    Same as Margaret or Brid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I know these aren't as bad as some of the absolute monstrosities on this thread, but misplaced and superfluous fadas really bother me.

Just saw on someone's Facebook page siblings called Aóibh and Cáhir.

It's like they don't think the names are Irish enough unless there's a fada randomly thrown in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

My daughter would appear to have a random fada, but it happened by accident.
    We were giving her the Irish version of my mother's name.

The morning after she was born a friend of my wife popped into her with a mug, bearing her name, but a fada in the wrong place. Then soon after as my wife was resting somone came in with official paperwork for her the baby's name.
    My wife being tired asked the lady to write in the name on the form and used the incorrectly spelled name from the mug.

I only spotted it when we went to register the birth. No way would the registrar move the fada one place to the right on the birth cert :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

When I was younger I lived next door to a boy who was a few years younger than me. He was from a middle class Irish family, only child.
    His name is Rex.
    I always found it very odd but it never caused him any hassle that I saw, nobody seemed to remark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

True story.

Think i knew him too Surname Mac ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No, not Mac.

But yeah, changing his name to Nigel wasn't ideal, but it is certainly better than Oriel-Aerial, kids can be cruel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Probably in response to a greeting of 'grand day...'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Economics101

I happen to know that some years ago a couple wanted their child registered as Rumpelstiltskin. I think that a bit of gentle persuasion from the Registrar's office might have prevented this disaster, but I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Ive a friend who works at a childrens hospital so shes seen them all. She had a Lucifer in last week. Now they could claim classical mythology origins blah blah blah, but lets face it, thats not the first thing you think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

There’s a boy in my nephew’s class in school called Leroy.

Whenever I hear the name I picture 6 foot 5 middle aged black man. This boy is 6 years old, weighs about 40lbs and his parents are accountants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Heard in an Irish forestry yesterday..a parent shouting for their 'Arianna'.

Should have just forwarded them any old rianna. Or a Rihanna, there’s a fair few of those kickin about nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Motivator wrote: »
    There’s a boy in my nephew’s class in school called Leroy.

Whenever I hear the name I picture 6 foot 5 middle aged black man. This boy is 6 years old, weighs about 40lbs and his parents are accountants.

Is it not more of a redneck hillbilly name?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Loverlyhorse

There was a boy in Austria whose family had the surname "Hitler" believe it or not. And despite this, what did his parents choose as his first name?? Adolf!!

He was born in April though, I think possibly in 1889, so it was before the name had really developed a bad reputation. Still though, by the mid 1930s the name "Adolf Hitler" was known world wide for obvious reasons, so I still feel sorry for the guy. He would have been in his 40s at that stage - he'd moved to Germany by that stage too. I think he moved into politics. Must have gotten some stick!

He even has a wiki article, died relatively young too - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler

Advertisement