Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S21 range launch january 14th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Got the new 3 in 1 wireless charger from Samsung, very slick and also comes with the super fast charging plug

Actually that plug is a 15w plug as that's the fastest Samsung wireless supports. Try using it on your S21 and it likely will say fast charging on the screen instead of superfast charging. The super fast charger is their 25w plug. A joke really when other brands are doing it at 65w +. lol. I suppose Samsung reckoned that higher wattage was doing the battery in as the s20 had a 45w plug!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,834 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Flaccus wrote: »
    Actually that plug is a 15w plug as that's the fastest Samsung wireless supports. Try using it on your S21 and it likely will say fast charging on the screen instead of superfast charging. The super fast charger is their 25w plug. A joke really when other brands are doing it at 65w +. lol. I suppose Samsung reckoned that higher wattage was doing the battery in as the s20 had a 45w plug!!

Yeah its super fast charging when i plug it in and fast charging when wireless. Glad to be rid of the noise from the fan when charging

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone get the official leather case, mine just arrived today and boy it's slippery. Hopefully it gets more grippy with wear. Lovely smell off it though

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭rdhma

You do know that a 60W charger is not twice as fast as a 30W charger (without compromising battery health)?
    That 60W is generally a marketing number. It is the max power it can deliver when the battery is depleted. When the battery is part-charged the charger should reduce power to avoid causing damage.

I haven't even bothered getting the 25W charger for my S21+ as my old 15W charger is fast enough and should prolong battery health a little.
    The phone has lasted me over 3 days on one charge so there's no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What's the opinions on the battery life on the regular model? Is it decent?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

rdhma wrote: »
    You do know that a 60W charger is not twice as fast as a 30W charger (without compromising battery health)?
    That 60W is generally a marketing number. It is the max power it can deliver when the battery is depleted. When the battery is part-charged the charger should reduce power to avoid causing damage.

I haven't even bothered getting the 25W charger for my S21+ as my old 15W charger is fast enough and should prolong battery health a little.
    The phone has lasted me over 3 days on one charge so there's no rush.

One Plus is now pretty much at the front of the pack by increasing the voltage and reducing the amps to reach 65w. A One Plus 9 Pro charges from 0-100% in 29 minutes. A Samsung S21 Ultra with it's 25W charger takes 1 hour 11 minutes to reach 100%. While the Ultra has an extra 500mAh, I'd say the One Plus charger is close to being twice as quick. So certainly not a marketing ploy in my opinion if you are in a hurry to charge your phone. Regarding compromising battery life, I have no way to test that but manufacturers claim it does not as the battery management software slows down the charging towards the end. Personally I am happy to charge as fast as possible in some situations. While overnight I'd leave it on the wireless charger.

In any case, my point was that Samsung are advertising their charger as a 'Super Fast Charger' and it really isn't when compared to the competition.

Incorrect. One Plus is now pretty much at the front of the pack by increasing the voltage and reducing the amps to reach 65w. A One Plus 9 Pro charges from 0-100% in 29 minutes. A Samsung S21 Ultra with it's 25W charger takes 1 hour 11 minutes to reach 100%. So I'd say some chargers are twice as quick, so certainly not a marketing ploy in my opinion. Regarding compromising battery health, I have no way to test that.

I didn't say faster charging was impossible, I said it wasn't necessarily a good idea. OnePlus owners will in time have the answer to that, if they hang on to the phone a few years.
    This site has good information on lithium battery charging conditions.
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭monster1

From googling it seems like 'Samsung black/blank screen of death' is a rare but known issue that sometimes occurs. Seems like your only option is to contact support and hope they'll sort it out

It was a faulty lcd module, took a while to get the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Joekers wrote: »
    Got an email to say there was a problem with my S20+ trade in.

Faulty charging port.

I never had an issue whilst using it and would have barely ever been used as I have a wireless charging dock for watch and phone.

Says there is a €195 faulty fee.

Phone was only bought in July of 2020 so surely faulty charging port is covered under warranty.

Anyone any experience with this ?

Just to update on this I emailed back to say that phone was only purchased in July and if it was indeed faulty they could send back to me and I would take up claim directly with Samsung as it would still be under warranty.

Havent heard back since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

athlone573 wrote: »
    On every Samsung I've had (S7, S9 and a tablet) , the charging port wears out after about 2 years (it still works but is very fussy about cable positioning).

I find they clog up with dust causing the connection to be loose, just give it a clean out now and again

5G is some bastard for killing battery even on the S21 Ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5G is some bastard for killing battery even on the S21 Ultra

I find my battery life is fantastic on my S21 Ultra, t has never gone dead on me in the 3-4 months I have owned it regardless of being on 4G or 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I currently have a Samsung 10, will be looking for a new phone shortly, would prefer to stay with Samsung, to those of ye who have bought the new S21 handset, would you highly recommend it or woudl you suggest waiting until the next range comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ciarsd wrote: »

Should be grand, just check the imei number on one of those free online checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Generally UK blacklisted phones so work fine here. I know a couple of people who have had an issue with same seller.

Check IMEI before buying and then check again 1-2 months after it. Most people dont check as long as their sim card works in it.

Some brilliant deals on S21 on UK Samsung site which we dont get. The S21 was going for around £660 with 2 x free Galaxy Buds+, 1 x Harmon Kardon speaker and 1 x £150 Google Play store voucher.

If you know any student, you can get a S21 5G 256GB for 790 from Samsung Ireland and get a 170 euro voucher for playstore which can be used to pay for Spotify, Youtube Premium, Netflix, Disney+ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

late with this but this seller is great , bought two phones off him , the only drawback is that he gets you to pay the paypal fee and wont take revolut , but decent prices for brand new phones .

How come samsung pay is still not widely available in Ireland ?

Unable to register my AIB visa and Revolut card

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How come samsung pay is still not widely available in Ireland ?

Unable to register my AIB visa and Revolut card

I use google pay on my S21 Ultra.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    I use google pay on my S21 Ultra.

Same but would like something to use with my Galaxy watch

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

cosanostra wrote: »
    I find they clog up with dust causing the connection to be loose, just give it a clean out now and again

Well I got fonfix to replace the battery and now the port is working much better as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Those who have bought the S21 Ultra, how are you finding the phone? I'm looking at buying and deciding if I should hold off (Pixel 6) or maybe go for other flagships (OnePlus 9 Pro or Mi 11 Ultra).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

dan786 wrote: »
    If you know any student, you can get a S21 5G 256GB for 790 from Samsung Ireland and get a 170 euro voucher for playstore which can be used to pay for Spotify, Youtube Premium, Netflix, Disney+ etc

How to avail this offer, couldn't find online?

https://shop.samsung.com/ie/samsung-galaxy-s21-256gb-phantom-violet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

d0157063 wrote: »
    How to avail this offer, couldn't find online?

https://shop.samsung.com/ie/samsung-galaxy-s21-256gb-phantom-violet

Go through Student Beans / Unidays site to get to the student site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

VCLIM4373d992 Voucher code - 10% Discount, no student required.

Only valid for May I believe.

Seems buydirect.ie is lot cheaper for S21 phones. Still cannot make up my mind to spend 800+ for Samsung phones as someone was saying earlier due to plastiky back and "ok-type" features. I am due for upgrade and honestly cannot find any suitable phones. Used Samsung 1 and 3 and then sweared not to go back there again! but with limited options, thinking again to get S21. Tried HTC, Motorola, Pixel 5 but just cannot settle. Apologies for going off topic, any suggestions are welcome (Only Android ones please :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

If I needed to upgrade from my s9 (which I don't really but I'm still window shopping),

I would be looking at a european model S20 from one of the shops on adverts dot ie

Or maybe wait for the pixel 6

Huawei would interest me if they had Google Store, as they have great cameras, but I wouldn't dare root or sideload apps, for security reasons.

Pixel 6 may be Nov as i read today, too long to wait ! Plus with Irish/European prices, will be hard bargain. I dont know why HTC stopped making new phones. Any thoughts on high end Motorola phones, they are bit heavy but new phone is new phone and suits pocket too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm looking for a new android too (currently sim only contract). I stupidly bought the Samsung A21s and that was a waste of money. Terrible display, 32GB storage, can't move apps to SD card..............It's turned me off Samsung to be honest.
    I'm interested to see what recommendations you get

Advertisement