Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

is there not an option for you to dictate the master?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

is there not an option for you to dictate the master?

Not that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Louisemurp

Clareman wrote: »
    All this speak of grants has me curious, I picked up 9 TRVs and the relay not too long ago, would I be able to claim anything back for them? Energia installed a Netamo for me years ago so I assumed they used the grant on that.

We got all the work completed yesterday for the grant & it was so much more work (to tick the SEAI boxes) than just the zoning (depends on each house & it's current plumbing). Cost wise we went with the Hive & 3 way zoning, made more sense for our house layout in the end but if budget was not an issue would have loved Drayton or Tado!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Another wee Drayton Wiser question...

I have 3 rads in the hallway. All 3 are using wiser a rad TRVs and all 3 are located in the "Hallway" room in the app.

Currently 1 is piping, 1 is hot and one is stone cold. They're all in the same heating zone.

Does each rad operate independently for related to the temperature at its own location? Or should the app take an average of the 3 and turn on all 3 til the average hits target?

Or would I need a room stat to act as Master for that to work?
    That's strange, what does the temperature of the room say? Can you see the individual rad temps? We have a seperate temp sensor in any rooms with multiple rads (just cause they came with the kit)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Alkers wrote: »
    That's strange, what does the temperature of the room say? Can you see the individual rad temps? We have a seperate temp sensor in any rooms with multiple rads (just cause they came with the kit)

Can't check the individual temps, it just shows a single temp for the room. So I assumed it would work on an average of the 3 and turn on/off on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭deezell

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Another wee Drayton Wiser question...

I have 3 rads in the hallway. All 3 are using wiser a rad TRVs and all 3 are located in the "Hallway" room in the app.

Currently 1 is piping, 1 is hot and one is stone cold. They're all in the same heating zone.

Does each rad operate independently for related to the temperature at its own location? Or should the app take an average of the 3 and turn on all 3 til the average hits target?

Or would I need a room stat to act as Master for that to work?
    Even with a room stat as master, I think all 3 TRV will operate to the room schedule, but variations in the temperature gradient of the hall will likely cause one stat to close first, then it might not open at all if heat from the other rads kick in because their sensors are reading a cooler local temperature. The real question should be, is the hall air temperature correct at the location of the rad which never comes on? If that area is cold yet the rad is off, then you have a problem. Ifits fine, then its just that the other rads are raising its sensor temperature past the set temperature.
    You could experiment, create rooms 'Hall1, 2 and 3' a tad in each. Three identical schedules,then you can read the app temperature for each, see which one is doing all the heavy lifting, maybe use the locks holed valves to retard it balance the heat load.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Hi guys,
    Im trying to figure out Googles Home Hub/Nest Hub (2nd Gen)
    I currently have 2 Alexa echos, (dot and a spot paired with Phillips Hue Brdige) and want to get rid of them and replace with Google Hub and speakers to go along with my Nest heating install to have a single eco-system when it comes to heating/lighting.
    Is the Google Home Hub just the rebranded Nest Hub Gen 2 visa versa or is it the gen 1 rebranded?

EDIT: Think I found it. Google Home Hub has been rebranded as Google Nest Hub....However, be careful some Google Home Hubs are gen 1 while you can be sure that the Google Nest Hub will have an indication beside it whether its gen 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

deezell wrote: »
    If you buy a Tado, during the registration process you are given the option of self install or professional install. I'd like to know what options are presented with the professional install. I'd imagine a straight replacement install for an existing stat should be a quick job for an electrician/plumber. How much they charge is another story, but it cant be any more than changing a light switch. Different story if you expect them to deal with the registration, pairing, app installation etc. In the case of the other stats, I'm not sure how much work the installers do to get your app up and running etc. The nest can be installed and running locally without the app connected, or even the wifi back to the nest connected. Does the installer do all this? connect to your router, open an account for you, install the app on your phone etc?
    434947.PNG

deezell - old post of yours from 2017, but I noticed you were looking at professional install of tado. wondering if you went ahead with that option?
    I am looking for the same in Dublin and 1) only 3 heating plumbing services have anything about smart heating on their website. 2) 2 out of 3 said they don't do tado. 3rd is yet to get back.
    so, I am searching for tado professional installers.
    and given the great deals going on with tado right now, thought the earlier I get get someone to confirm what I should buy, the more likely I can benefit from the deals on tado and amazon.

also, I talked to tado and they don't do professional installs anymore, so they did not offer any recommendations for who can do a professional install.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's nothing to the install, the relay can be done by an electrician or by yourself, on the radiators if you have TRV's on your radiators you can just put on Tado and you're good to go. I'd recommend if you looking for an installer that instead of asking for a smart installer, ask for someone to change the relay and/or valves.

There's nothing to the install, the relay can be done by an electrician or by yourself, on the radiators if you have TRV's on your radiators you can just put on Tado and you're good to go. I'd recommend if you looking for an installer that instead of asking for a smart installer, ask for someone to change the relay and/or valves.

Thanks Clareman.
    to do that ...
    how would I get to know whether I should go with the wired or wireless module of tado? and whether I need the extension kit of tado for heating water?
    as I understand, if I know whether tado can work in that house + these questions, then your suggestions is to go for a normal plumbing heating guy and ask to change the relay and valves, right?
    thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

brio09 wrote: »
    Thanks Clareman.
    to do that ...
    how would I get to know whether I should go with the wired or wireless module of tado? and whether I need the extension kit of tado for heating water?
    as I understand, if I know whether tado can work in that house + these questions, then your suggestions is to go for a normal plumbing heating guy and ask to change the relay and valves, right?
    thanks again

Do you have separate zones and/or heating controls? Does your heating already have a wired relay? My heating didn't so I just got the main relay and the TRVs.

Do you have separate zones and/or heating controls? Does your heating already have a wired relay? My heating didn't so I just got the main relay and the TRVs.

it can heat water and house separately apparently. how would I figure out the wired relay aspect? it is just the whole house as one heating unit right now so I wanted to change it to multi-zone using tado TRVs.

side confusion - i noticed that dryser wise and netatmo also seem comparable as per this forum but couldn't find an actionable pros/cons so was hoping heating guy would know, but I'm probably hoping for a lot.

1. How many wall thermostats do you have.
    2. Do you have a timer, digital or notch clock type.
    3. If digital, how many zones ( e.g., 2 CH, 1HW)
    4. Do you have TRV valves on your radiators.
    5. What Tado control had you in mind ( single CH right up to CH multi room with HW timing
    6. Photos of existing kit, description of operation, e.g, HW only possible, timed only CH or timed and thermostat, CH without HW possible, zone valves etc.

Replacing one or two wired wall stats with Tado stats and eating your current HW setup is child's play to install. Straight swap, 20 mins for a sparks or DIY you do all the Internet stuff. Replacing existing TRVS with tado equally simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I don't have TRVs on my rads- just standard open/close valves - does this impact the install of the Tado TRVs?

ablelocks wrote: »
    I don't have TRVs on my rads- just standard open/close valves - does this impact the install of the Tado TRVs?

You'll need to get the valves replaced, it's a relatively straight forward job, turn off the water, drain the system, take off old valves, install new ones, turn water back on and pray for no leaks :D . I'd say if you are any way handy you'd be able to do it, personally I got a plumber to do it as I hadn't seen it done before but I'd be fairly confident at doing it now.

1. How many wall thermostats do you have.
    2. Do you have a timer, digital or notch clock type.
    3. If digital, how many zones ( e.g., 2 CH, 1HW)
    4. Do you have TRV valves on your radiators.
    5. What Tado control had you in mind ( single CH right up to CH multi room with HW timing
    6. Photos of existing kit, description of operation, e.g, HW only possible, timed only CH or timed and thermostat, CH without HW possible, zone valves etc.

Replacing one or two wired wall stats with Tado stats and eating your current HW setup is child's play to install. Straight swap, 20 mins for a sparks or DIY you do all the Internet stuff. Replacing existing TRVS with tado equally simple.

Thanks deezell, thanks Clareman - those sound like questions I do not have much idea about.

1. - I think only one and it is not on the wall. there is some wireless unit that connects to the boiler. and then it can be controlled via eph ember.
    2. AFAIK, eph ember just does timer type. so I guess that way
    3. i think 1 CH / 1 HW i.e. heating the water and heating the house - those 2 zones.
    4. don't think the valves are TRVs. they are manual. i just now read on tado's website that I should first replace the valves with TRVs and then their heads with smart TRVs.
    5. I would like to achieve multi zone control i.e. some rooms heating some not at different times of the day or based on some other triggers. what would that require?
    6. will get these and get back. the boiler is from Ideal and I don't see Ideal in tado's list of supported boilers though :( so probably I already need to start looking at netatmo or dryserwise.

You'll need to get the valves replaced, it's a relatively straight forward job, turn off the water, drain the system, take off old valves, install new ones, turn water back on and pray for no leaks :D . I'd say if you are any way handy you'd be able to do it, personally I got a plumber to do it as I hadn't seen it done before but I'd be fairly confident at doing it now.

that's a plumber job for me. There's a couple of other things need to be checked out as well so will leave it for a while and just put in the wired starter kit for now + 2 extra wired thermo's when they go on sale.

step 2 then will be the TRV's

thanks

that's a plumber job for me. There's a couple of other things need to be checked out as well so will leave it for a while and just put in the wired starter kit for now + 2 extra wired thermo's when they go on sale.

thanks

If you only have a single CH zone, and your current system is wireless stat to an Ember 2 zone receiver, you will need the Tado extension kit to replace the ember and to connect the Tado thermostat wirelessly, as there are no existing wires from a wall stat back to the boiler or ember.
    You will have no need for two further wired stats as you don't have 3 CH zones to control, only one. If you later fit 2 or more TRVs this will give you room control for these radiators, but all other radiators will heat when a TRV radiator calls for heat, as you only have a single plumbed CH circuit. Adding just a few TRVs is most useful for turning off individual rooms during a CH cycle. You can install additional wireless wall stats (or the less expensive wireless sensor wall stats, no wired relay built in) to act as temperature sensors for any Tado TRVs you install, this is done to give more accurate readings of temperature than is available using the TRV's own sensor.

If you only have a single CH zone, and your current system is wireless stat to an Ember 2 zone receiver, you will need the Tado extension kit to replace the ember and to connect the Tado thermostat wirelessly, as there are no existing wires from a wall stat back to the boiler or ember.
    You will have no need for two further wired stats as you don't have 3 CH zones to control, only one. If you later fit 2 or more TRVs this will give you room control for these radiators, but all other radiators will heat when a TRV radiator calls for heat, as you only have a single plumbed CH circuit. Adding just a few TRVs is most useful for turning off individual rooms during a CH cycle. You can install additional wireless wall stats (or the less expensive wireless sensor wall stats, no wired relay built in) to act as temperature sensors for any Tado TRVs you install, this is done to give more accurate readings of temperature than is available using the TRV's own sensor.

thanks Deezell - it's a 3 zone + hot water system.

So is it 3 wired thermostats to replace, leave control unit to on for central heating and manually operate the hot water "zone"

thanks

10 radiators is about a half days work, I had a few other bits and bobs to do as well so he was here the best part of a day, the Tado is a great job though. My suggestion would be to get the valves replaced when you're getting the work done, installing the tado themselves is simple.

• Advertisement

thanks Deezell - it's a 3 zone + hot water system.

So is it 3 wired thermostats to replace, leave control unit to on for central heating and manually operate the hot water "zone"
    Apologies, I thought your response was from the original query from Brio09, my fault reading in the sunshine. In your case, spot on, three wired stats, DIY simple job.

Apologies, I thought your response was from the original query from Brio09, my fault reading in the sunshine. In your case, spot on, three wired stats, DIY simple job.

thanks for the tip deezell! i read through it and it helps :-)
    i should look for wireless + extension kit + TRVs, if in tado.
    now that i have also checked up tado compatibility, it seems it may not be compatible with my boiler, which is from Ideal. so hopefully these learnings help me figure out dryserwise vs netatmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Tado Contract
    Anyone know the consequences of cancelling my Tado contract.

From what i can recall, i purchased the starter kit without a contract and then found a "renewal" contact one year later. I paid for this and now want to know what happens if I cancel.

Will i just loose the app - or the ability to change the setting from my phone?

Can i renew the contract after a few months? Will it cost more?

Anyone have any insight into cancelling their contract.

TIA

thanks for the tip deezell! i read through it and it helps :-)
    i should look for wireless + extension kit + TRVs, if in tado.
    now that i have also checked up tado compatibility, it seems it may not be compatible with my boiler, which is from Ideal. so hopefully these learnings help me figure out dryserwise vs netatmo.

Sorry about delayed reply. Ideal boilers used here are pretty much all straightforward switched live (SL) triggered, a simple relay contact from a stat or controll er wired into the boiler SL terminal is all that is needed to fire it on or off. Its how the rest of your system is plumbed/ wired (i.e, zone valves? Gravity fed HW TO the cylinder?) that determines how compatible it is with Tado control, but there's not much you can't do when installing a Tado to replace an existing 2 zone CH/HW controller, Tado can cover all the quirks of these, whither they are wired for pumped or gravity systems, or with motorised valves. As a DIY job it can be a little anxiety inducing, but at the end of the day its about transferring switching on /off of your existing boiler, pump and/or valves from the old ember receiver to the new Tado receiver. As you say, these "Electrical Learnings make benefit Glorious Heating of Brio09Stan", or something like that.

Sorry about delayed reply. Ideal boilers used here are pretty much all straightforward switched live (SL) triggered, a simple relay contact from a stat or controll er wired into the boiler SL terminal is all that is needed to fire it on or off. Its how the rest of your system is plumbed/ wired (i.e, zone valves? Gravity fed HW TO the cylinder?) that determines how compatible it is with Tado control, but there's not much you can't do when installing a Tado to replace an existing 2 zone CH/HW controller, Tado can cover all the quirks of these, whither they are wired for pumped or gravity systems, or with motorised valves. As a DIY job it can be a little anxiety inducing, but at the end of the day its about transferring switching on /off of your existing boiler, pump and/or valves from the old ember receiver to the new Tado receiver. As you say, these "Electrical Learnings make benefit Glorious Heating of Brio09Stan", or something like that.

haha I like the quote, I see what you mean. i reached out to a plumber who claimed to have worked with tado installation before and he and I are talking to tado support to get more clarifications before we go ahead and purchase. it does seem that tado will at least work with the boiler.
    unfortunately, the awesome deals from a few ago are gone.

Q - It seems tado cannot have wireless repeaters, nor a mesh network, nor multiple internet bridges. for a ~150 sq.m house spread across ground and first floor + converted attic (smart TRVs everywhere) + boiler in shed at the back, do you think tado's approach of a single RF hub will work? or will that constrain us and we will need to go an alternative like netatmo?

haha I like the quote, I see what you mean. i reached out to a plumber who claimed to have worked with tado installation before and he and I are talking to tado support to get more clarifications before we go ahead and purchase. it does seem that tado will at least work with the boiler.
    unfortunately, the awesome deals from a few ago are gone.

Q - It seems tado cannot have wireless repeaters, nor a mesh network, nor multiple internet bridges. for a ~150 sq.m house spread across ground and first floor + converted attic (smart TRVs everywhere) + boiler in shed at the back, do you think tado's approach of a single RF hub will work? or will that constrain us and we will need to go an alternative like netatmo?

I have tado on a Google Mesh network, no problem at all

I have tado on a Google Mesh network, no problem at all

Oh oh, this is what Tado support wrote to me:
    The Internet Bridge must be connected to the internet using a UTP cable. The Internet Bridge does not work over Wi-Fi.
    The Internet Bridge takes care of the internet connection and the communication between all other devices. The devices communicate with the Internet Bridge at all times and not with each other.

I will search more online I guess as this is conflicting info and will make or break the decision to go with tado for me.
    your tado is connected via wifi and not via ethernet to google nest mesh and not the modem, right?

Oh oh, this is what Tado support wrote to me:
    The Internet Bridge must be connected to the internet using a UTP cable. The Internet Bridge does not work over Wi-Fi.
    The Internet Bridge takes care of the internet connection and the communication between all other devices. The devices communicate with the Internet Bridge at all times and not with each other.

I will search more online I guess as this is conflicting info and will make or break the decision to go with tado for me.
    your tado is connected via wifi and not via ethernet to google nest mesh and not the modem, right?

The bridge is a small cigarette lighter sized yoke, that has to be connected to a wired connection, everything else is wireless.

• Advertisement

The Bridge connects to your local network by Ethernet only. All other Tado devices, stats, ext. kit, trvs, sensors, connect to the Bridge wirelessly, but not using WiFi. The connection is a low power wireless protocol, 6LoWPAN, an 'IPv6 over Low -Power Wireless Personal Area Networks'. The protocol supports mesh topology, device to device repeating, but afaik Tado only implement hub or star topology, it would probably strain devices such as TRVs in terms of processing and power consumption to act as repeaters. I've no knowledge as to how other mesh devices can be inserted into the Tado environment to act as repeaters, but anything is possible I suppose.

Advertisement