Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah will give that one a try. Managed to get dried chickpeas in a local health food store, pretty pricey at 3.49 for 400g but I think they are organic. Was in Tesco a couple of days later and their dried chickpeas were 1.10 so grabbed a couple of packets and a jar of tahini sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Potato salad...

I want to try making my own, maybe a more vinegary and herby one than our standard creamy type that the supermarkets sell.
    Most of the recipes I see online are American, and they recommend using Yukon Gold potatoes.

What kind of potato available here would be similar?
    I'm not a big potato eater, and know nothing of the various different types, so looking for advice...

Tell me about what varieties of potato (and places to buy them) you like to use for homemade potato salad, and any extra tips, please and thank you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I often make potato salad using baby potatoes, I don't peel them, I just pierce them with a fork, wrap them all together with baking parchment and cook them as they are in the microwave, then dress them afterwards.

Aside from the usual vinegary dressing, I often mix soy sauce with lots of powdered garlic, a touch of acacia honey, and mayonnaise to taste.

I was assuming baby potatoes or Charlotte.
    Crikey, I would never thought of using soy sauce! Must add a nice unami flavour though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't know what Yukon Gold are like, but they're probably waxy potatoes which hold their shape well. Roosters, pinks, queens etc are floury and go to mush.

For potato salad I use the baby potatoes that all the supermarkets sell, sometimes called salad potatoes. I boil them gently until tender and then cut them into little chunks. It's important to add the mayo etc while they're still warm because they soak it up. I usually use a load of Hellmans light and a good glug of apple cider vinegar.. Taste it as you go. Then I add chopped red onion, salt and pepper. You can add whatever herbs you like.

If you want a mashed potato salad use floury potatoes and mash them without milk or butter before adding the rest.

There are no doubt more gourmet potato salads than mine, but my family all love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

I also use baby potatoes for potato salad. I cube them raw, steam and let cool slightly.

My basic dressing is just mayo, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and lots of fresh chives.

My pimped up version is mayo, natural yoghurt, finely chopped gherkins with a little bit of the gherkin liquor. Sometimes I mix in hard boiled egg yolks as well.
    Sea salt and black pepper and chives.

Either way is always a crowd pleaser.

But definitely a waxy potato is my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Try tinned potatoes for potato salad. They're cheap, they're waxy, and ready-cooked. I can't tell the difference between the cheap and expensive tins. New potatoes still a premium price at the minute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yukon gold are yellow-fleshed, fairly waxy potatoes. The North Americans consider them floury but they’re definitely not. I’d say Charlottes or baby potatoes, as mentioned, would be closest texturally and flavour-wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made tartare sauce recently for fish and then used the leftovers for potato salad. Worked a treat.

Chopped capers and gherkins, mayo, yoghurt, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper. I'll be making those additions to potato salad in the future. I do the same as Dizzy and boil baby potatoes until tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi are selling a hot dog toaster next week, it cooks the sausage and the buns simultaneously. What a time to be alive

Hot-Dog-Maker-A.jpg?o=M9l2mjCCG0WnKR6JXSvwrDYwspwj&V=wCH%24&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

https://www.aldi.ie/ambiano-hot-dog-toaster/p/711136467664600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I recently experimented with cucumber and mint in potato salad and it's lovely.

Baby potatoes, cucumber, fresh mint, chives, white wine vinegar, light oil, touch of sugar, salt, pepper.

If I want a creamy potato salad, I like Greek yoghurt rather than mayonnaise. I think chives are essential in any potato salad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A German flatmate of mine once made me what she called a Berlin potato salad. I know it had finely chopped gherkins and mustard in it, but I can't remember the rest of the ingredients, I've to see if I can dig out the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Drooling for potato salad now. :)

That hot dog maker is brilliant! A complete unit. I’d buy one to give my teenage son when he leaves home. That would be him fed forever ........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It may be a long shot but I got a recipe here for chunky chocolate chip cookies a while back and for the life of me I can't find it again. It was a very popular post with lots of people making them, does anyone have a clue what one I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It may be a long shot but I got a recipe here for chunky chocolate chip cookies a while back and for the life of me I can't find it again. It was a very popular post with lots of people making them, does anyone have a clue what one I'm talking about?

This one? https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055337536/1

They’re amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Toulouse wrote: »
    This one? https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055337536/1

They’re amazing!

That's the one, my kids and myself thank you. My waistline however.....

tangy wrote: »
    Try tinned potatoes for potato salad. They're cheap, they're waxy, and ready-cooked. I can't tell the difference between the cheap and expensive tins. New potatoes still a premium price at the minute.

Brilliant idea!
    I'm all for lazy but effective shortcuts!

It's important to add the mayo etc while they're still warm because they soak it up.

I came across this tip during my research yesterday, brilliant!

Could someone please tell me what this symbol means? It's on a plastic food storage container that can be used between -20°C and +120°C.

555034.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Microwave? Looks like an oven and a stylised atom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Microwave? Looks like an oven and a stylised atom.

My thoughts exactly, might try searching for it later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I keep getting Facebook ads for some meal prep service. Or kept until I gave the 'never show me this ad again' command.

To start with, I dislike those services for the vast amount of single use plastic waste they generate, let alone whatever food waste is involved in providing Instagram-perfect prepped ingredients. But the ad is based on the "useless husband/boyfriend can start cooking for his missus by using this" trope of advertising, which I especially hate.

And Facebook has the most advanced ad-targetting options possible, so any firm that thinks they're trying to guilt trip guys who don't know how to cook for their girlfriends/wifes by targetting someone that Facebook *knows* is in to cooking and more importantly, doesn't have and never will have a girlfriend or wife, suggests abject laziness. Just when they're trying to target abjectly lazy people! :pac:

That's what I thought at first, too, but all the "microwave" symbols I came across had this kind of design:

MicroSafe-1.jpg

I was wondering, could it mean that it's microwave safe but for defrosting only? The thing is, I haven't found that symbol anywhere. :/

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

L1011 wrote: »
    I keep getting Facebook ads for some meal prep service. Or kept until I gave the 'never show me this ad again' command.

To start with, I dislike those services for the vast amount of single use plastic waste they generate, let alone whatever food waste is involved in providing Instagram-perfect prepped ingredients. But the ad is based on the "useless husband/boyfriend can start cooking for his missus by using this" trope of advertising, which I especially hate.

And Facebook has the most advanced ad-targetting options possible, so any firm that thinks they're trying to guilt trip guys who don't know how to cook for their girlfriends/wifes by targetting someone that Facebook *knows* is in to cooking and more importantly, doesn't have and never will have a girlfriend or wife, suggests abject laziness. Just when they're trying to target abjectly lazy people! :pac:

Dropchef.

I get those ads too, I find them bizarre. It makes them seem like some cheapo service, I think their marketing is totally wrong. It’s clickbaity.

I’ve used them in the past and found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In my decades-long search for the perfect garlic press, today I bought this.

8-F1-F1367-B6-A0-4964-AB6-F-DBCBF4-CFD5-CC.jpg

Basically, you cut the top and tail off a bulb of garlic, pop it into the red silicon tube and roll it a couple of times to peel the skin off. Then you wet the dish and grate the garlic bulb to a pulp, then use the brush to remove the pulp. When you finish you can then stick it in the dishwasher. All for €20.

The silicon tube is worth the money by itself. The hours I’ve spent peeling garlic. All gone in seconds now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭con747

In my decades-long search for the perfect garlic press, today I bought this.

8-F1-F1367-B6-A0-4964-AB6-F-DBCBF4-CFD5-CC.jpg

Basically, you cut the top and tail off a bulb of garlic, pop it into the red silicon tube and roll it a couple of times to peel the skin off. Then you wet the dish and grate the garlic bulb to a pulp, then use the brush to remove the pulp. When you finish you can then stick it in the dishwasher. All for €20.

The silicon tube is worth the money by itself. The hours I’ve spent peeling garlic. All gone in seconds now. :)

I posted about that in the Kitchen Gadgets/Tools thread last year and find it very good for garlic and ginger.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

New Home wrote: »
    I was wondering, could it mean that it's microwave safe but for defrosting only/
    looks like microwave to me. I presume it is polypropylene, many containers looking like that with those figures are. There will be a 5 on the bottom somewhere, and usually PP under it. 5 is the resin code for PP (polypropylene).

If you are cooking food with oil in it then it can go well past 120C and melt the plastic or stain it.

Many ice cream containers are PP, I use them to cook rice in.
    Basically, you cut the top and tail off a bulb of garlic, pop it into the red silicon tube and roll it a couple of times to peel the skin off.
    If garlic is cut like that and put in a glass or metal jar and shook really hard the skins also fall off. The tube sounds like less work

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Basic potato salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Recliner wrote: »
    Basic potato salad.

That is exactly what I think of when I think of Irish potato salad.
    Where did the mashed potato salad come from?
    Is it regional? Or was it invented for sandwiches in the 90s?

Looks lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That is exactly what I think of when I think of Irish potato salad.
    Where did the mashed potato salad come from?
    Is it regional? Or was it invented for sandwiches in the 90s?

Looks lovely.

Mashed potato salad is awful. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Advertisement