Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

47akak wrote: »
    Manual says "The zappi device should be connected to a single-phase 230V or 240V nominal AC supply. The supply should be from a
    dedicated 32A or 40A circuit breaker."

When I'm talking to my installer again should I insist a 40A circuit breaker is used or does it matter in any way? The supply will provide 32A to the charger I'm just curious why there is an option.

I don’t know the technical answer but my charge point is with 40a as it will be in use for extended periods of time at high current.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

47akak wrote: »
    Manual says "The zappi device should be connected to a single-phase 230V or 240V nominal AC supply. The supply should be from a
    dedicated 32A or 40A circuit breaker."

When I'm talking to my installer again should I insist a 40A circuit breaker is used or does it matter in any way? The supply will provide 32A to the charger I'm just curious why there is an option.

I think the 40A one is often used to avoid nuisance tripping. Some cars will be pulling the full 32A and particularly when the charge session starts it will go above that and could trip it, but it seems very car dependent.

I'd go for 40A. No downside, should be no real cost difference in the context of the overall price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

KCross wrote: »
    I think the 40A one is often used to avoid nuisance tripping. Some cars will be pulling the full 32A and particularly when the charge session starts it will go above that and could trip it, but it seems very car dependent.

I'd go for 40A. No downside, should be no real cost difference in the context of the overall price.

I guess if you're going for a 40A breaker then you'd need to ensure the cable can handle it, since that's what the breaker is protecting

AFAIK most EV chargers use 6mm2 cable which should have no issues handling that amount of current

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Long winding interview with sales rep from my energi makers of zappi.

Generally mentioning history of company and current supply delays due to demand and components. A bit of a pointless plug for a sponsor but interesting technically

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Got my Zappi installed last week. Took a while for the installer to get it paired with the hub and noticed that day it would keep disconnecting, then reconnect for about 5 minutes and disconnecting again from the Zappi. It's about 5metres away, through an internal and external wall.

Had days where it was fine, not a drop but it's started dropping again today, being disconnected more than connected. Is this common or should I try to re pair on another channel in case something is interfering?

• Advertisement

dec2000 wrote: »
    .... or should I try to re pair on another channel in case something is interfering?

That has to be first course of action. If it continues you need to ask their support for further advice.

Got my Zappi installed last week. Took a while for the installer to get it paired with the hub and noticed that day it would keep disconnecting, then reconnect for about 5 minutes and disconnecting again from the Zappi. It's about 5metres away, through an internal and external wall.

Had days where it was fine, not a drop but it's started dropping again today, being disconnected more than connected. Is this common or should I try to re pair on another channel in case something is interfering?

Mine are a good 10m away through walls but 100% connection always.
    Actually moving my charge point shortly so will take the opportunity to hard wire the CT clamps with buriable CAT cable

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Cool thanks will try the repair and see how it goes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

slave1 wrote: »
    Mine are a good 10m away through walls but 100% connection always.
    Actually moving my charge point shortly so will take the opportunity to hard wire the CT clamps with buriable CAT cable

Keep an eye out for the ev ultra cable, it has 3 core 6mm2 and a cat 5 cable in it (not 100% sure but it has 4 twisted pairs) getting popular in the UK

I grabbed some buried CAT cable from AMZ a few weeks back at a stupid price so went with that, new stand just arrived too yesterday so hopefully a neat job, when complete I'll post pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I had strange issues where my CT's were connected to a Harvi with the original 5m cable on the CT's bundled up. Once I trimmed off the spare cable, it appeared to work flawlessly

zg3409 wrote: »
    Long winding interview with sales rep from my energi makers of zappi.

Generally mentioning history of company and current supply delays due to demand and components. A bit of a pointless plug for a sponsor but interesting technically

Didn’t realise they had setup an Ireland office and mentioned being market leaders here. Not sure if that’s a but of marketing bluff or not but they must be doing well to setup an Ireland office so that’s good.

They seem to be booming with business. Out growing new offices already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Didn’t realise they had setup an Ireland office and mentioned being market leaders here. Not sure if that’s a but of marketing bluff or not but they must be doing well to setup an Ireland office so that’s good.

They seem to be booming with business. Out growing new offices already.

Yep our zappi came from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hopefully will solve the problem we and others had in getting a replacement unit in from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Didn't know about this, no idea what the additional features might be.

https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/myenergi_redesigns_products_as_silicon_shortage_continues_to_impact_energy

"To ensure demand does not outstrip supply in the long-term, the company’s engineers have redesigned its product range. A new, more powerful microprocessor is now being used to operate the updated designs, helping to futureproof them.

By redesigning its technology, myenergi will be able to increase production of its zappi, eddi, harvi and hub products. Additional features will also be added to these over time, enabled by the more powerful microprocessor."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Microprocessors have been getting more powerful every year for the last 50 years. Sounds like marketing waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

BigAl81 wrote: »
    The plastic crumbled and I can now see the Zappi internals which seems very concerning to me!

Just to update here, 11 days after opening a support ticket online, Zappi have replied and said they'll send me out a new front cover.

I've asked the following question...
    "I'd have a question on this replacement part however.  Am I just getting the exact same defective part again?  Won't I be in the same position in another year or two if so?  There are plenty of reports online of the same issue I'm having so I'd be worried about that, especially if some electrical components are exposed!"

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Thanks,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Anyone know if this defect also affects the V2 models? Or if it’s caused by UV, is there anything that can be put over it (along the lines of a phone screen protector type thing) which would block the UV from damaging it?

Quick question for all ye Zappi users

I've just gotten a Zappi installed alongside my existing EO Mini

I've no solar yet so I just want the Zappi to run as a dumb timed charger (don't want to use timers on the ID.4 as they're not working)

I've got timed boost set between midnight and 8am every day.

What mode should I leave the Zappi in by default? It's in Eco+ at the moment, should it be in Stop mode instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Quick question for all ye Zappi users

I've just gotten a Zappi installed alongside my existing EO Mini

I've no solar yet so I just want the Zappi to run as a dumb timed charger (don't want to use timers on the ID.4 as they're not working)

I've got timed boost set between midnight and 8am every day.

What mode should I leave the Zappi in by default? It's in Eco+ at the moment, should it be in Stop mode instead?

Eco+

Here are the steps to set up scheduling

From the home screen, press the down arrow until "Eco+" is selected
    Press the menu button (The three lines button on the left)
    Press the down arrow until charger settings
    Press +
    Press the down arrow until boost timer
    Press +
    Input time, durations and days
    Make sure default mode is "Eco+"

• Advertisement

kesey wrote: »
    Eco+

Here are the steps to set up scheduling

From the home screen, press the down arrow until "Eco+" is selected
    Press the down arrow until charger settings
    Press +
    Press the down arrow until boost timer
    Press +
    Input time, durations and days
    Make sure default mode is "Eco+"

Awesome, thanks!

Has any got theirs on a 32A RCBO? I noticed a bir of buzzing coming from the breaker when I was charging the car. The breaker was warm to the touch so I'm a bit worried I was pushing it too hard

I dropped the device limit to 28A to keep it off the limit. It doesn't feel as warm and the buzz is more of a hum so I think we're good to go for now

I'm wondering should I get a 40A breaker instead, I noticed a few people have been getting higher powered breakers recently

JohnC. wrote: »
    Anyone know if this defect also affects the V2 models?

I havent heard of it on v2's but they are possibly not out long enough to have the issue yet.
    Has any got theirs on a 32A RCBO? I noticed a bir of buzzing coming from the breaker when I was charging the car. The breaker was warm to the touch so I'm a bit worried I was pushing it too hard

When you say warm.... would you be able to keep your finger on it comfortably?

I'd be inclined to get your spark to double check that it has been tightened enough. Some of them do buzz a little though.

When you say warm.... would you be able to keep your finger on it comfortably?

I'd be inclined to get your spark to double check that it has been tightened enough. Some of them do buzz a little though.

Warm, not hot, I had it on boost for a while and it didn't get hot enough that I was concerned

I think the noise is more of a mains hum than arcing. I think the biggest danger for now is false tripping rather than damage

I might get the sparks out on Monday if I can. If there's scope to put a higher limit breaker then I might go for that to give it some more breathing room

Does anyone know how long it takes a group limit to kick in?

I've got a CT clamp on the supply cable to both my chargers. It's connected to the CT 1 input which is configured as Monitor, group MN1 and a group limit of 28A

The supply for both chargers is connected to a 32A Type B RCBO. I set the Zappi limit to 28A to give it a bit of headroom against the breaker limit

I connected the Leaf to the other charger and it's pulling 14A according to the CT reading

When I connected the ID 4 to the Zappi and triggered Boost I was expecting it to limit to 14A bit instead it went to full power. The reading on CT1 was 40A!

I let it run for a minute to see if it would throttle but it seemed happy to keep going at full speed. I cancelled Boost and it went back down to 14A

I'm wondering should I leave it for a bit longer for the limit to kick in? I would have expected it to take effect in a few seconds

It should take effect instantly. Are both your chargers Zappi? How are you forming a group otherwise?

garo wrote: »
    It should take effect instantly. Are both your chargers Zappi? How are you forming a group otherwise?

The other is an EO Mini, I'm using an external CT clamp to form the group. It should work based on the manual since it's similar to having the Zappi on the same circuit as some other high power appliances

I think I must have missed a step though as the Zappi doesn't seem to be obeying the group limit

Assume you looked at this page already? https://myenergi.com/wiki/zappi-v2/13650-2/
    And the CT Type is set to Monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sounds like marketing waffle.

If you watch the YouTube video a few pages back it explains more. They switched to a better processor due to supply issues. Long term they may be able to add features to newer models which the older models can't handle. Every 6 months or so they issue software updates that fix bugs and add new features. However if your zappi is working I would not update it, as sometimes updates create new bugs, and they can reset setting such as load limiting. You need the optional hub to do updates too. The updates for V1, V2 etc are totally separate, with different features available or unavailable depending on the software. None of these features are ground breaking but some of the bug fixes can help compatability with newest cars on the market.

Assume you looked at this page already? https://myenergi.com/wiki/zappi-v2/13650-2/
    And the CT Type is set to Monitor?

Yeah I followed the steps there

I might open the junction box and check the CT is on the right cable
    The current readings are positive and look correct so I don't think that's the issue

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how long it takes a group limit to kick in?

I've got a CT clamp on the supply cable to both my chargers. It's connected to the CT 1 input which is configured as Monitor, group MN1 and a group limit of 28A

The supply for both chargers is connected to a 32A Type B RCBO. I set the Zappi limit to 28A to give it a bit of headroom against the breaker limit

I connected the Leaf to the other charger and it's pulling 14A according to the CT reading

When I connected the ID 4 to the Zappi and triggered Boost I was expecting it to limit to 14A bit instead it went to full power. The reading on CT1 was 40A!

I let it run for a minute to see if it would throttle but it seemed happy to keep going at full speed. I cancelled Boost and it went back down to 14A

I'm wondering should I leave it for a bit longer for the limit to kick in? I would have expected it to take effect in a few seconds

I think its meant to be on CT2, not CT1, for that function.

Advertisement