Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

I’m struggling a little bit with what you’re asking, but I’d tend to suggest getting a normal sized rack either way, assuming you ever might want to sell it on.

I have quite a narrow rack, and it won’t rack certain speciality bars, it’s a pain.

When you say a shorter bar are you talking something like a Blk Box stinger bar?

I can't visit first to check. He says the rack would be 15cm-20cm narrower than a normal one to fit this smaller bar he has. Didn't think of specialty bars.. I'm just used to a regular Olympic bar in my gym..

Never heard of that type of bar. It's late here so I'll ask him tomorrow for dimensions of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

On seated overhead press the instruction on the strong app was to unrack the bar behind the neck. So I was planning to do 40kg sets but the limiting factor was the unracking. I was too weak to lift that way . I know there's alternatives like standing or unrack and move forward on bench but is there some weakness I should be addressing ?
    Should you be able to unrack your 5-9 rep max ohp from behind your neck?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri19 wrote: »
    On seated overhead press the instruction on the strong app was to unrack the bar behind the neck. So I was planning to do 40kg sets but the limiting factor was the unracking. I was too weak to lift that way . I know there's alternatives like standing or unrack and move forward on bench but is there some weakness I should be addressing ?
    Thanks

It depends how far back it is....it doesn't need to be too far behind the bar path. Just enough that you're not clipping the j-hooks.

Sounds like it's just too far back and further back than it needs to be.

Thanks Alf .
    I'm back tracking my calories as I slipped back into missing protein targets .
    How bad is supplementing twice a day to hit targets ?
    I eat the same most days .

Breakfast
    Morning protein shake 25g protein
    Porridge on protein milk with fruit - 10g protein
    Lunch
    Tuna wrap with grated cheese -~35g or
    Eggs whites 200ml and 2 eggs with brown bread ~ 35g
    Dinner
    Mostly some meat and veg or pasta ~ 50g protein
    Snack
    Fage yogurt fruit and 1scoop protein ~35g protein .

So around 50g a day is from powders .
    And around 100g from meals
    Is this bad ? I'd like to get more in through meals but struggle to have the appetite for it .
    I weigh about 78kg so I need ~150.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks Alf .

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Snack

Is this bad ? I'd like to get more in through meals but struggle to have the appetite for it .
    Thanks

Can you not up the portion sizes at each meal? It

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks Alf .

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Snack

Thanks

It's not "bad", it's probably just not optimal. Like you I have had plenty of days where two protein shakes are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of protein intake, but if I can sub in some extra meat or (for example) a Skyr yoghurt, then I do.

Thanks Alf .

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Snack

Thanks

I don't think you need as much as 150g. 110g or so would be fine.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

A lot of the studies showed no additional benefit above 0.64 g/lb, which would be ca. 110g for you.

I don't think you need as much as 150g. 110g or so would be fine.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

A lot of the studies showed no additional benefit above 0.64 g/lb, which would be ca. 110g for you.

But, steak and eggs Alf. Where’s the excuse for steak and eggs!?!

they/them/theirs

Thanks

I just checked the app. It says behind the head, not the neck.

F6BW1Gd.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGeXxnigsQ

Brian? wrote: »
    But, steak and eggs Alf. Where’s the excuse for steak and eggs!?!

You do not need an excuse for steak and eggs.

If someone asks why you are eating steak and eggs you say "Because steak and eggs".

• Advertisement

F6BW1Gd.png

I object strongly to being the neck presses and pull ups. The risk/reward isn’t high enough on reward. They put your rotator cuffs in serious risk without being much better than a normal press.

I also don’t think people should press sitting down. Strict military press is a brilliant exercise.

they/them/theirs

I object strongly to being the neck presses and pull ups. The risk/reward isn’t high enough on reward. They put your rotator cuffs in serious risk without being much better than a normal press.

I also don’t think people should press sitting down. Strict military press is a brilliant exercise.

I think it's just to indicate where the bar is in relation to you before you unrack it. I don't think it says to do BTN presses.

I got an image of him misreading and trying to start with it at neck level and had to post in case. Sounds dangerous.

Also love the strict military press. I did my first set of them at home today on the new rack I talked about a while back. Went for standard width but shorter sleeves. Dumbbells on the way.

z1EMQEr.jpg

He brought the wrong hook for the left side so will get that replaced. Apart from that, really happy for the equivalent of 500euro including 95kg of weights. Even came with fake Rogue stencils so you know it's quality.

new2tri19, I highly recommend Alan Thrall's video on OHP.

Can you not up the portion sizes at each meal? It

I could I suppose but I already have significantly increased , I'd often not be hungry at all after protein shake and struggle to get porridge in. I went years not eating breakfast at all.
    For lunch 2 eggs and 200ml of egg whites and 2 brown bread is a fairly full plate or a 110g can on tuna in a wrap with some salad again is fairly filling .
    Dinner I'd take the bulk of the meat and eat the kids left overs rather than let it go to waste .

Sorry can't multi quote but thanks for the Skye yogurt idea I forgot about them and thanks also for suggesting 110g might be sufficient that would certainly be more manageable.

I'd like steak every night but the wife normally plans the meals and I don't want to be too awkward so will just eat what family are eating but take the bulk of meats .

F6BW1Gd.png

That's similar to the position I found I had no power in but I was sitting like that without back support .

That's similar to the position I found I had no power in but I was sitting like that without back support .

Unsupported sounds incredibly difficult.. I'm assuming that requires the strongest core out of any OHP. Before the barbell starts to unrack, you're basically pushing your upper body into your bench with the weight of your 5-9 rep max ohp, and it's behind you.

I'd look into supported, or even kneeling maybe, if your core can't stay rigid enough for the barbell to go upwards.

So you’re not pressing behind the neck?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

and I went to a crossfit class where the coach had us doing behind the neck shoulder press. It was my first class (granted I'm pretty experienced and knew how ****ing dumb that was). I went extremely light but what a waste of a class. I had to go away to my own spot and not watch anyone else for fear of what I'd see.
    Won't going to his class again...

So you’re not pressing behind the neck?

No sorry I probably didn't explain it very well , I was doing a seated ohp on a flat bench , my starting position was pretty much like the still in that video above ( maybe I had my bar a bit lower . But I found it hard from that position to unrack the bar to bring it to the front of my chest to do standard seated ohp .

I don't do behind the neck pressing either, but ... Behind the neck press, seated press, pin press, z-press.... They could all have their place for fixing sticking points, avoiding stagnation and perhaps in order to vary loading in your programming. Depends on the trainee. The conventional overhead press is the staple but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of doing the others any more than I would dismiss bench variations like close grip bench, pin bench, fat grip bench, floor press etc. All depends.

Assuming no gross technical errors are being made, if the behind the neck presses just feel incredibly difficult with the weight you're shooting for, could be that you're not giving it its dues. It's a different movement from the standing pressing, and it's new to you, first thing is I would not base weights for the work sets off the standing overhead press. Start with the bar and work up from there.

There's always a bit of a learning curve with new movements too. If you're using a light weight then bear in mind it'll climb as you improve in your performance of that particular lift and its demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Cill94

I don’t personally use btn press but I wouldn’t say its inherently dangerous. It will just require some verrryyy light weights for most people in the beginning. Preference would be standing OHP though.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I don’t personally use btn press but I wouldn’t say its inherently dangerous. It will just require some verrryyy light weights for most people in the beginning. Preference would be standing OHP though.

I didn’t say it was inherently dangerous. Risk v reward is the phrase I used intentionally to avoid that.

It falls under the category of not worth it.

they/them/theirs

Because I'm proud of it, and I'm hammered, I was very happy to find out I can do five pull ups with my new half rack wearing gloves. Was always scared of them before and only tried in the gym after a full pull day and just failed. While waiting for the barbell, I've been doing those for the last week.

Friend gave me the band for free and my girlfriend is going to use that to get going. I used the band today for accessory chest work and it was really good. When I get the adjustable dumbbells, that will help a lot. And then for bigger pushes, I'll get the dumbbell rods that work with Olympic weights and buy some 1.25s, and more 2.5s and 5s.

Really like the home gym thing. My own music. No waiting. No one watching. Easy to experiment. Unlimited water. Play with the cat between exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Because I'm proud of it, and I'm hammered, I was very happy to find out I can do five pull ups with my new half rack wearing gloves. Was always scared of them before

Fair play to you for overcoming your fear. I don’t think I’d have the balls to wear gloves lifting.

That's actually a question I wanted to ask.. How long is too long between exercises?

Like today, I did flat bench, then overhead press, and then incline bench. All strength focused and I kept good time. After that, I relaxed for a while and went for hypertrophy stuff.

Is it ok to wait an hour or whatever, or should you bang out the entire workout in one go? Can I do low rep strength work before work and high rep hypertrophy stuff after work without losing much efficiency?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for overcoming your fear. I don’t think I’d have the balls to wear gloves lifting.

They were gifted along with the band for free. A good friend left Hanoi and he gave me a bunch of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Some people spread their workout over the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

They were gifted along with the band for free. A good friend left Hanoi and he gave me a bunch of stuff.

If a person gave me lifting gloves I wouldn’t consider them a friend

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If a person gave me lifting gloves I wouldn’t consider them a friend

Well he only used for them for his kettle bells, and I only use them for pull ups on that bar/support beam in the photo, which is rough as all hell. Get what you pay for. Hard to find quality stuff here. Thankfully, my barbell is ok.

• Advertisement

That's actually a question I wanted to ask.. How long is too long between exercises?

Like today, I did flat bench, then overhead press, and then incline bench. All strength focused and I kept good time. After that, I relaxed for a while and went for hypertrophy stuff.

Is it ok to wait an hour or whatever, or should you bang out the entire workout in one go? Can I do low rep strength work before work and high rep hypertrophy stuff after work without losing much efficiency?

Within a workout, I think there's some evidence to support the idea that you are almost as recovered as you will be once you are at the 3 minute rest mark. For very heavy sets though, I have rested 5 minutes. There are people in the Starting Strength community who have advocated for resting 5-10 minutes at times, but I feel that not only would you start to cool down, you also stretch workouts to impractical durations at that.

For assistance work then my rule of thumb is if it's something demanding I will still allow 2-3 minutes rest between sets.

For accessories at the tail end of a workout I will do 1.5 minutes rest. If I'm really in a rush I might do 1 minute or better yet superset the accessories.

When you talk about spreading the workout out over a longer period, there are a few things to think about. For your work sets they should be hard enough that you have to warm up to actually get to them. If you're spreading your workout throughout the day how does that square with that?

On some movements you might also be looking to go to failure, or very close to failure. It's hard to sustain that kind of intensity several times a day I would imagine. To get those all out work sets you also, again, probably have to ramp up to it beforehand.

Advertisement