Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never let me hear about kerry hospitality services again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Saw a woman do that once after paying for a kebab after the rose festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lol, a THOUSAND euro??? For 2 nights?? Talk about being ripped off! Jesus Christ

Have to agree, It sounds like a massage was thrown in (Their Wallets), mother of God, €1000 for 2 nights, fine hotel to be fair but that just obscene.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Killarney has always been a rip-off venue. Every business owner there feels entitled to a millionaire’s lifestyle and they charge customers accordingly. Dingle used to be a lot nicer but I haven’t been there for a few years, I hope it hasn’t gone the way of Killarney.

I actually think Dingle and indeed Kenmare more expensive, some eye watering prices in restaurants particularly with Guest Houses (Posh B&B"s) nearer to town centre's charging 5 star hotel prices.

all for euro 990.19 and 100% supporting an Irish business with Irish suppliers

I hope you posted that up on the rip off Ireland thread,

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Have to agree, It sounds like a massage was thrown in (Their Wallets), mother of God, €1000 for 2 nights, fine hotel to be fair but that just obscene.

Fools will always part gladly with there money.

• Advertisement

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Fools will always part gladly with there money.

I thought the great parking line amusing, @ €1k for two nights, I'd not only be expecting car parking facilities but a full 5 star Valet service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Hotels in Dingle are booked out until after August.
    Hotels in Dublin are running at about 13% capacity over the summer months.
    There's a multitude of reasons why this is.... but high on the list is covid has been almost eradicated in Kerry... you know you're getting a safe holiday...and that's why people are still flocking down.
    I was in Dingle Thursday and the town was very busy, bars, restaurants all doing a roaring trade...a local boat owner is now doing cruises of the bay for hen nights, champers and chocs.....Fungi is a massive loss to that area... but people seem to be adapting, thankfully.

Hotels in Dingle are booked out until after August.
    Hotels in Dublin are running at about 13% capacity over the summer months.
    There's a multitude of reasons why this is.... but high on the list is covid has been almost eradicated in Kerry... you know you're getting a safe holiday...and that's why people are still flocking down.
    I was in Dingle Thursday and the town was very busy, bars, restaurants all doing a roaring trade...a local boat owner is now doing cruises of the bay for hen nights, champers and chocs.....Fungi is a massive loss to that area... but people seem to be adapting, thankfully.

Hen night Cruises in Dingle Bay? I've heard it all, No fear is Fungi ever returning if he hears this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Hen night Cruises in Dingle Bay? I've heard it all, No fear is Fungi ever returning if he hears this :)

Tbf, they have to adapt to the Fungi reality ( ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilís) :D
    Fishing is saturated in the area...so hen nights, tours of the area, rod fishing tours etc... adapt or die unfortunately

It's not a uniquely Kerry issue...but the price gouging in the hotel sector across the country is just crazy at the moment.

I know the free market idea is "but people will pay it". They will because they have to...but I hope they remember the worst offenders when it comes to booking next year and hotels here may not a captive audience.

Plus, not every hotel does it. When I said 4 of us are in a Cork hotel with a leisure centre for 4 nights and paying less than what 2 nights for 2 in Tralee is costing (as per the post above), we specifically booked this hotel because they didn't ramp up their price. And we'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Lol, a THOUSAND euro??? For 2 nights?? Talk about being ripped off! Jesus Christ

No, they did have some change out of a grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Marine life love getting gawked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’ve been to Tralee and Killarney a number of times since 2019. I never spent more than €10 on a visit. I go to Ye Olde Lidl for lunch or Garveys SuperValu. Latter has a great selection of cheeses for sale.

I’ve been to Tralee and Killarney a number of times since 2019. I never spent more than €10 on a visit. I go to Ye Olde Lidl for lunch or Garveys SuperValu. Latter has a great selection of cheeses for sale.

Ye Olde Garveys in Dingle was certainly not cheap before Ye Knew lidl arrived. Garvey fought for years to stop any and all competition coming to Dingle, sites bought up etc. I lived there in early 2000"s and my god a weekly shop was extortionate causing most locals to travel to Tralee to do weekly shopping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Scientifically speaking, a sample size of 3 is not very representative. But it concurs with my experience of eating out in Ireland so feeds my bias nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Had two nights for two in Ballygarry House outside Tralee on the B/H weekend.
    We dined well, bottle of wine each for dinner, c 30 euro a pop
    availed of the spa treatments for a fee,
    got free charging for our EV
    free bike hire
    all for euro 990.19 and 100% supporting an Irish business with Irish suppliers of food, so none of your asparagus from Peru

great staff,
    great service
    great food
    great wines
    great room
    great parking
    great gardens

bonus: TK max down the road

Just reposting this as a foil to some of the negative, disparaging remarks posted in response thereto.

To those of you who gave it a thanks, much appreciated, I think its a personal record for a post of mine:D

1: You can't take it with you, certainly not if a bake and shake.
    2: If you look at my profile you should find a link to a 5 year long thread about prostate cancer.
    3: I am no longer in remission so facing an uncertain future.
    4: Enjoying life and making a contribution to Irish run companies post Covid/Brexit when I spend my mula is where I am at right now.

So in conclusion, before pi$$ing in on a post, maybe consider what else is out there, show some empathy and don't dismiss people like me as fools.

Have a great day:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

BPKS wrote:
    One persons experience.

Two..

Killarney is lovely but for it has built itsself around the American tourist market and hugely overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just reposting this as a foil to some of the negative, disparaging remarks posted in response thereto.

To those of you who gave it a thanks, much appreciated, I think its a personal record for a post of mine:D

2: If you look at my profile you should find a link to a 5 year long thread about prostate cancer.
    4: Enjoying life and making a contribution to Irish run companies post Covid/Brexit when I spend my mula is where I am at right now.

So in conclusion, before pi$$ing in on a post, maybe consider what else is out there, show some empathy and don't dismiss people like me as fools.

There’s nothing wrong with splashing out in something. I was more referencing the extortionate prices some places charge. There’s no fcuking way a place is worth 500 a night unless you’re being woken in the morning by a 25 year old Swedish model giving you a neck massage as she feeds you caviar.
    Those fat cat hoteliers screwing people just because they can

In fairness the Thread does and should not delve into very personal matters, the discussion generally about hospitality, prices etc in Ireland.

I don't believe previous posts or threads you've partook in are necessarily relevant and certainly poster's should not be expected to review your previous posts on other threads to form an opinion on how to respond to your post on this thread, that would be entirely unfair as is it to somehow justify your post here which was a little bit of tongue and cheek which would definitely get responses.

This all said, from my own perspective, I meant not personal offence and I hope you can accept this. I come to this thread having 30 years experience of Irelands hospitality sector, several of them running a successful restaurant in of all places Dingle.

I do wish you well, have my own medical challenges to fully appreciate we're your coming from, best wishes for your journey ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Darc19 wrote: »
    Because they used their hands?

Hope you never see a working kitchen.

There is absolutely no issue whatsoever in using bare hands for food handling. Usually it's cleaner than the false sense of gloves.

Where there could be an issue is the twin process of using bare hands for multiple tasks such as ice cream and money, or ice-cream and raw meat.

But ice cream on its own, salads on their own, raw meat on its own - no problem whatsoever and that's in the fsai haccp food handling manual

It’s a stipulation of food handling from the HSE that you don’t touch the cone, has been for at least 10 years. Either use a tissue and hand it to the client with the tissue, or use a glove. That’s their rules.

• Advertisement

knipex wrote: »
    Two..

Killarney is lovely but for it has built itsself around the American tourist market and hugely overpriced for what it is.

And therein lies the whole problem with most tourist towns which have essentially developed into shopping malls, destinations for tourists world wide. This is all well and good in principle but in the processs have priced out the home market and stirred resentment (rightly or wrongly perceived as gouging) . There's also a reliance in most cases of a short season and this leads to pricing structures that require maximum profit in a limited amount of time.

The pandemic has highlighted the disparity, tourist towns empty, even when restrictions were eased last summer, of course not helped with pub closures.

Ironically people think Americans etc don't care about prices, nothing could be further from the truth. I had a small bistro in Dingle in the early 2000"s, it occured to me a big part of a tourists day was looking at various evening menu's around the town, on looking into this further, it was partially menu choice but mainly prices, which back then were eye watering, even in what I'd perceive as dreadful places.

Few restaurants, including my own would see a single customer until around 7pm, so I did something new, an early bird menu, unheard of in Dingle and actually caused quite a negative stir from other restaurants, it even got a mention in a certain newspaper. Why I wondered, simple really.

At 5pm I had a Q outside, I offered a 3 course early bird for the equivalent of a starter in some fine dining restaurants in the town and a main course in others. I ran a strict 5 - 7pm early bird and then moved to a fine dining experience from 7pm but always at reasonable prices. Such was the success of the concept, guest houses booked on behalf of their guests and generally we booked out weeks in advance. But I did something else, I also looked after the local market, in essence a ticketing scheme with voucher for locals. Mine was not intended to be a Michelin starred bistro but one of the highest quality of service and was one of a very very few non bar operations to trade all year round. There was also another crucial ingredient to the success of the concept, the right Team, I had the exact same team the entire time and guests appreciated this. I was cantankerous but only in the persuit of consistency but always valued and supported an excellent small team, whom I remain friendly with all these years later.

My mantra was quite simple, repeat business was better than no business and this only achieved by reasonable pricing and continuous excellent service and a great team. 20 years later, I'm out of the business but still get regular correspondence from guests I had world wide.

KevRossi wrote: »
    It’s a stipulation of food handling from the HSE that you don’t touch the cone, has been for at least 10 years. Either use a tissue and hand it to the client with the tissue, or use a glove. That’s their rules.

Not just rules, common sense and good manners, even in my local small shop the team wear disposable gloves when serving 99"s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Was that for 2 people because that is very good for Killarney. Can you say the name of the hotel?

Jasus,you pay that much for one night in B&B for a fast 20 minute walk outside of Killarney

I think very differently about irish companies. If they are price gouging, wrapping themselves in the flag just doesn't cut it. And there is no doubt but that a lot of hotels are doing exactly that. Obviously Sheen Falls in Kenmare got publicity for quoting €4,000 for 3 nights. I don't really buy that whole "well if people will pay it" routine to justify doubling and trebling prices. Frankly, if they go to the wall when people are free to travel again, it wouldn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

OK, I know, a click bait heading.

I never want to hear kerry hospitality services moaning about lost customers.

Took a few day trips this week with the family. Went to Clare and today to South kerry.

When I asked the person serving ice cream cones to not handle the cone I was going to eat,all I got was abuse. From him and his boss.

I was apparently being unreasonable asking he pick up the cone with a tissue rather than his bare hands.
    The sanitiser he was adamant he had just used (he didn't) he couldn't find.

Went onto another establishment later hoping to get a meal.

Nope, don't serve kids after 5.30 from the restaurant. I was told to go around the corner to their pizza bar which had seats on the street. I couldn't even bring the pizza around to the restaurant outside seating area while my wife and I ate a meal. My kids didn't want pizza.

Anyway, took my business elsewhere and went to the local pub.

Granted seats were on the street. Beer garden was being renovated.

They had a kids menu. My son wanted a burger which was only on the adults menu. To their credit, it wasn't a problem. He got his burger and chips with all the dressings for the kids price.
    The adults had a lovely lasagne with salad and garlic bread.

And kerry hospitality businesses are moaning they have no customers. If this is how 2/3 of them treat their customers they don't deserve to be in business
    (size of the survey was 3. +/- 0)
    Anyway, rant over.

You sound a bit difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

HBC08 wrote: »
    You sound a bit difficult.

Go on, I'll bite... Do tell.

Which part is difficult? The hygiene bit or being refused service with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

KevRossi wrote: »
    I was last in Kerry for a longer holiday in 2015. Crazy prices. Near Dublin levels in Dingle and Killarney.

Went to Kenmare where it was a lot better and just headed to the Beara Peninsula for the last couple of holidays. It's just as beautiful, less arrogant, and a damn sight cheaper.

Why wouldn't it be more expensive Dublin prices? After all, in one you get beautiful scenery, lakes and mountains, in the other you get scumbags kicking the crap out of one another on our main streets.

Why wouldn't it be more expensive Dublin prices? After all, in one you get beautiful scenery, lakes and mountains, in the other you get scumbags kicking the crap out of one another on our main streets.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/it-has-changed-my-life-victim-speaks-out-as-two-kerry-footballers-convicted-of-assault-40562953.html

As I live in Kerry, I don't like the idea of paying Dublin level prices to the hospitality sector just because we have lots of mountains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Go on, I'll bite... Do tell.

Which part is difficult? The hygiene bit or being refused service with kids.

The bit where the restaurant has a printed policy of no kids after x (5:30) o’clock but you want it your way and refuse to quietly honour it and have a tantrum because you want your kids in their reataurNt after x PM despite a sign being up saying this isn’t allowed.

The bit where you want to order your pizzas from a different fastfood location in a seperate building around the corner/ on a different road and off their totally different menu & at a take away price point and then bring that food to the seperate seated area of a different restaurant and want to eat it there.
    Presumably also with your kids who also have not ordered anything but you now also want them to be able to take up seats in the restaurant they have bought or ordered anything from. This possibly the same restaurant that has the no kids after x o’clock policy.

No doubt your kids are the apple of your eye but restaurants are businesses and cater for the needs of the markets and customers they want to attract, and at a price point and level they (the owner) have decided is profitable and desirable for them.

You wanting to load your kids into evening dining at their adult only after x PM restaurant was not acceptable.

You wanting and assuming to force your kids onto other diners after X pm in a restaurant with a no kids policy was not acceptable.

If I were to organise babysitters & decide on a mature crying and noise free & behaviour predictable evening at a adult only restaurant and sat beside or had a table of kids nearby I would have a fit.

I would also be looking for a comped meal if there any issues whatsoever and would veto the place for any future nights out. Many adults don’t enjoy meals in the cosy din of other families children. That is why they choose adult only evening dining.

Many people who get and fork out for babysitters and then see a tablefull of kids at a restaurant their kids have been told they cannot attend after x PM would be ticked off - and understandably so. Babysitters are expensive. One rule for everyone not preferential treatment for non paying customers or people who havn’t bothered to plan or those who rock up and shout loudest at the door. With their kids in tow.

If I’m eating in a seated area of a restaurant and paying restaurant prices I don’t want swiss family robinson arriving up beside me and eating from pizza boxes fast food ordered from a take away around the corner.

I also don’t want their non eating children tagging around - either hanging around standing on one leg watching their oarents eat while they arn’t fed or are hingry, or having to listen to them complaining that they are hungry and asking where or when they are going to be fed/allowed eat.

And this while a no kids sign is hanging up above your heads.

You have to have this spelled out for you????

Let alone the issue of self indulgently wanting to hog a table or multiple put together tables and seats for non paying and non ordering children that will deprive the hard stretched restaurant of much needed adult sales of starter, main, desert & wine because you want to sit there and eat a pizza box from the take away down the road.

You really couldn’t mKe this level of self indulgence and self entitlement up.

The ice-cream cone thing I grant you.

Your son choose, ordered and ate a proper burger in a seated restaurant which was cooked to his taste and had whatever he wanted on it and was served to him in a commercial premises - not your family kitchen. You paid the stated in advance e10 restaurant price for this. Presumedly your son ate and enjoyed it. Even McDonalds charges e8 for a take away squashed limp burger to eat in your car. I assume this was better. No problem with that either.

Advertisement