Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR slow to respond

Options
  • 21-06-2021 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I made a request to hr and they are being awfully slow, like in region of going on two months now and the only update is we'll get back to you, its also an issue for the company, they are totally winging it and I know that. Are there many options aside from the threaten to leave one as I know I have some position of if I left they'd struggle a bit. I don't really want to play that card. The other one I'm thinking of is offer the bonus up if there is one, should be but no gaurntees. Might be answering my own question and start job hunting at least have another option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The first thing to realize is that HR in 2021.. they may have ‘Human Resources’ above the door but in reality their real title is ‘Department of Company / management Damage Limitation ’.

If you’d make an error in your job, as I witnessed for a colleague they’d get the ball rolling with a great degree of immediacy regarding the investigation and subsequent disciplinary...but when ‘you’ need something or have a problem with a manager... silence, total silence, I witnessed that for myself ....

This is how to deal with said sneaky bastages...

Document everything, if they call you or have a ‘water cooler chat’ request the details in email...

If they fob you off.. ask ‘ thanks, when do you expect I’ll hear ‘ give them a couple of weeks grace, then gloves off, HR manager....

They drag things out to take heat out of situations, it’s deliberately done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I made a request to hr and they are being awfully slow, like in region of going on two months now and the only update is we'll get back to you, its also an issue for the company, they are totally winging it and I know that. Are there many options aside from the threaten to leave one as I know I have some position of if I left they'd struggle a bit. I don't really want to play that card. The other one I'm thinking of is offer the bonus up if there is one, should be but no gaurntees. Might be answering my own question and start job hunting at least have another option.

What was the request?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

Hoboo wrote: »
    What was the request?

To change the office I'd be working out of essentially, they have multiple office locations, none which are ever full, and essentially I'm in the wrong country they have an office here and it does some of the project too quite a large bit. So to move me accross is just a balance sheet bit and obviously figure out £ - € salary.

They know how long I've been here, they knew when I went, also it's a tax risk, beyond hr level know all this as well, it's being breached at this point, I've payed the diffence for me but they also have one.

They even said that at most even if I was back under normal times I'd only be required in person once a month so that's not challenging for me either I did say that. We seem to be moving to a more remote based company in general so new hires are all fully remote ones.

It's other things that are causing me headaches which I'd like to sort out and even if they said no it would be better. Thanks even typing it out makes you think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Strumms wrote: »
    The first thing to realize is that HR in 2021.. they may have ‘Human Resources’ above the door but in reality their real title is ‘Department of Company / management Damage Limitation ’.

The first thing to realise is that you should not project your experiences on to a situation that you have no knowledge and then go on a rant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So to move me accross is just a balance sheet bit and obviously figure out £ - € salary.

It may just be a 'a balance sheet bit' to you, but it sounds like there are probably a few other players in the decision making process. Entries on a balance sheet often equate to political boundaries.

Is it possible you could get your manager to drive this? Business usually trumps HR in this kind of think and if the managers want it, they are in a better position to push it through than you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Moving someones jurisdiction for work isn't just a balance sheet exercise or converting their pay from £ to €. It's a lot more complicated than that. Firstly the pay between jurisdictions is never a straight forward translation - it's based on the factors of working in that jurisdiction. For example I'm possibly on a little more than my colleagues in the UK when converted however we both are in line with the average salaries for our areas in our own countries.

While they may have offices in the locations and therefore be set up for taxes there still can be issues with this as it means changing who you pay tax to. If you're currently paying tax on a £ wage it means you're set up with the UK revenue. However moving your salary to € means that you'll have to be set up with the Irish revenue and ensure you have a PPS number.

Honestly I think the posters who said that you should talk to your manager are correct with this. Generally HR would help facilitate a move like this but only where there is business approval on it. They won't be the ones to initiate it. Is there a reason you went to HR and not your boss in relation to this?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The first thing to realise is that you should not project your experiences on to a situation that you have no knowledge and then go on a rant.

I should not do ? I don’t require your permission so contribute to this discussion or to post here. You don’t agree with me, you can ignore me or you can put forward a counter view. A rant ? Grab yourself a dictionary and educate yourself as regards the meaning of this word... so don’t tell me what I ‘should not do’...and then disingenuously label it as a ‘rant’ focus on your own ‘contributions ‘.... other people’s experience and opinions are free to be shared...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »
    I should not do ? I don’t require your permission so contribute to this discussion or to post here. You don’t agree with me, you can ignore me or you can put forward a counter view. A rant ? Grab yourself a dictionary and educate yourself as regards the meaning of this word... so don’t tell me what I ‘should not do’...and then disingenuously label it as a ‘rant’ focus on your own ‘contributions ‘.... other people’s experience are free to be shared...

How does your earlier rant apply to the op requesting to work/live in a different jurisdiction, and his/her misrepresentation of the transfer being a balance sheet exercise?

I think you laced up the big boots a bit early and went for a stomp.

Dav010 wrote: »
    How does your earlier rant apply to the op requesting to work/live in a different jurisdiction, and his/her misrepresentation of the transfer being a balance sheet exercise?

I think you laced up the big boots a bit early and went for a stomp.

Sorry old bean, been doing a bit of exercising, socializing and cooking, I’ll leave the stomping and stuff to your good self alright ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jim2007 wrote: »

In fairness his assessment of an HR department is pretty accurate, it's the same the world over having worked in a number of countries and it's not only in 2021.its been like that for years and most people would say the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dasdenny

Pretty Accurate in Strumms part to be fair and hardly a rant by any stretch of the imagination. In my years of dealing with HR, I think many including some in HR ( albeit not publically) would agree that there is some truth in this assessment.

Advertisement