Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crush layout ideas

Options
  • 18-03-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get some ideas for a crush layout for inside a shed? Not looking anything fancy - have an idea I want access to both sides of animal.

Looking for ideas for something to fit into a 15' x 30' area.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've found this again:
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Beef-Manual-Section8.pdf

Access to both sides in an enclosed shed makes the race difficult to design - won't be cutting side out of shed for side access.
    Thought about putting the crush in at an angle, but to get sufficient access at the udder on wall side the crush would end up in middle of shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

I've found this again:
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Beef-Manual-Section8.pdf

Access to both sides in an enclosed shed makes the race difficult to design - won't be cutting side out of shed for side access.
    Thought about putting the crush in at an angle, but to get sufficient access at the udder on wall side the crush would end up in middle of shed.

Sounds tricky to get access to both sides of a crush in a shed unless unless you’re happy to lose a good bit of shed space both sides of it for walkways. If it’s just to access both sides of an udder, you could design the crush so you can access the cows right hand side, and then use a calving/section gate somewhere else in the shed for a case where you need get at the left side.

I've kind of though that cow can be put in crush in reverse and held with backing bar - the only reason for this would be access to that side of udder - so head restraint not required - Essentially the same as you are suggesting. Although if I could get a cheapish gate that would double as a headgate and closing gate for the crush that would let me work in both directions.

Would also like to utilise the crush as winter stock pens - so considering an easily disassembled safety zone around the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I've seen crushes where most of the crush is along the wall but the last section at the front of the crush is angled out from the wall to give access to both sides of the animal at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

tanko wrote: »
    I've seen crushes where most of the crush is along the wall but the last section at the front of the crush is angled out from the wall to give access to both sides of the animal at the front.

Yeah saw plenty of these online. If you rang condons or whoever supplies crushes around you they will so you a price and send you a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

If it's only to access each side of the udder, would it be an option to hang a calving gate half way along one wall of the shed? If the calving gate could swing either way, you could put the cow in from whichever direction you needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get some ideas for a crush layout for inside a shed? Not looking anything fancy - have an idea I want access to both sides of animal.

Looking for ideas for something to fit into a 15' x 30' area.

Thanks.

Look at the websites of the steel suppliers, Condon's, O'Donovans, O'Donnells, maybe Gibneys, Teemore, Nugents etc. They often have plans or illustrations showing internal layouts.

Thanks all got a plan in my head now - for the odd time that we need access to the left side of an animal I'll put it down the crush other way.
    May need to fab a gate with a built in headlock for that bottom of the crush. It's an expense, but saves money compared to other designs I had thought of. Once you put in the permanent things and decide where you're loading from etc it kind of designs itself mostly.
    I'll take another look at it in the morning and see what sort of mess it is!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If possible have them entering the crush and walking toward daylight at the top of the crush.

Makes loading the crush much easier with stubborn animals

Not always possible of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

If you're right handed have wall on LHS as you look from rear.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    If you're right handed have wall on LHS as you look from rear.

Majority are right handed so that decision was made for me. Seen a few nice touches like a vet gate which I might add. Also leaving the headgate slightly 'exposed' from the catwalk (will just be protected passageway) so that when levering a headscoop or fighting trying to bullet one you don't get a whack in the back or elbow from a gatepost behind you.

thanks for all the replies. I've looked at some of those sites and got some ideas. Will take another look tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Majority are right handed so that decision was made for me. Seen a few nice touches like a vet gate which I might add. Also leaving the headgate slightly 'exposed' from the catwalk (will just be protected passageway) so that when levering a headscoop or fighting trying to bullet one you don't get a whack in the back or elbow from a gatepost behind you.

thanks for all the replies. I've looked at some of those sites and got some ideas. Will take another look tomorrow!
    Have the option of keeping some of the forcing exit pens outside. Another option would be a mobile crush unit and just a race feeding into it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I thought this setup was pretty cool over in Texas. Probably not needed to the same extent over here, except for those crazy ones out the Wesht:D.

https://twitter.com/fishroper/status/1355341343330086920

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I thought this setup was pretty cool over in Texas. Probably not needed to the same extent over here, except for those crazy ones out the Wesht:D.

https://twitter.com/fishroper/status/1355341343330086920

I can't see much advantage in the squeezeing end of it. And a very quiet animal in it unlike wild cattle of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I can't see much advantage in the squeezeing end of it. And a very quiet animal in it unlike wild cattle of the west.

I found it an interesting setup for a change. Especially if space doesn't allow for a traditional style..

Couple of questions:

Will have some pens in the shed - the steels are not galvanised to the floor, so when wintering animals on them I expect them to have it tough with the dung. What is the best product to put on them now when new in order to protect the lower part of the steels which will com into contact with the dung?

Does anyone have a roofed dungstead? What are the thoughts on them? Need somewhere to store dung and was considering that a roofed dungstead with a gated front would be more advantageous than an open one which would require a contaminated water tank.

Does anyone have a sliding crush gate and a vet gate in their crush setup?
    Most designs I've seen put the vet gate behind the sliding crush gate - is there an advantage to reversing this so that the cattle meet the sliding gate first and then the vet gate like this design:

https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/cattle-handling-facilities.19203/post-719903

Although I get the impression that they put the vet gate ahead of the sliding gate due to the shortness of the Condon crush sides.

In the system I've designed, the vet gate is behind the sliding gate and latches behind blocking the race and preventing cattle coming forward into the crush on top of the vet/stockperson.

It would only be used for AI, tail clipping, etc. When dosing etc which would not require person in crush behind the beast the sliding gate would be used (majority of time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Most designs I've seen put the vet gate behind the sliding crush gate - is there an advantage to reversing this so that the cattle meet the sliding gate first and then the vet gate like this design:

https://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/cattle-handling-facilities.19203/post-719903

Although I get the impression that they put the vet gate ahead of the sliding gate due to the shortness of the Condon crush sides.

In the system I've designed, the vet gate is behind the sliding gate and latches behind blocking the race and preventing cattle coming forward into the crush on top of the vet/stockperson.

It would only be used for AI, tail clipping, etc. When dosing etc which would not require person in crush behind the beast the sliding gate would be used (majority of time).

Have that set up of the sliding gate and vet gate. Reasoning is they the animal head is caught in head gate and then the vet gate and sliding gate can be opened.
    Have 2 of the sliding gates put in, first at the rear of the race at the forcing pen and the the other at the head of crush. Find them super,really help cattle flow greatly and most importantly safe.
    Personally have only used the vet gate myself a few times, but really comes into its own when the vet or ai man are in the yard. Small price to pay now, but worth it for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Normally vet gate would only be used when animal locked in head gate, so no need for sliding gate ahead of vet gate? Also most vet gates are same height as crush sides - would some animals try to jump this ? think i prefer sliding gate behind vet gate to protect AI man etc if crush is full

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Normally vet gate would only be used when animal locked in head gate, so no need for sliding gate ahead of vet gate? Also most vet gates are same height as crush sides - would some animals try to jump this ? think i prefer sliding gate behind vet gate to protect AI man etc if crush is full

Could the vet / AI gate latch to the wall
    That should protect from other cattle

• Advertisement

The Vet gate is sized same as width of crush and intention is for it to swing inwards and latch across the race blocking it off safely for the vet to access the animal which as you say will be trapped in the headgate.

However, during normal operation the sliding gate would hold an animal in the crush and prevent it backing out if it got spooked or refused to go into headgate. Also allows for sheep to be closed up in the crush for work too as if there was no gate blocking the rear of the crush then they would be able to travel full length of crush plus race.

Teagasc guidance is 6ft (1.8m) for a crush. That would align with most of what I've seen. Adding a vet gate would leave the crush itself 9-10ft long.

Without a sliding gate, would mean that either the crush was open towards rear allowing animals to back out or open to side - might not be a problem for large cows, but for smaller cattle and sheep it would not be okay and so the secondary method of blocking is necessary. I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Do a bit of work with a lad that has that setup. Not a fan of the sliding gate. Awkward to close and no use to get an animal that last few inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

The Vet gate is sized same as width of crush and intention is for it to swing inwards and latch across the race blocking it off safely for the vet to access the animal which as you say will be trapped in the headgate.

However, during normal operation the sliding gate would hold an animal in the crush and prevent it backing out if it got spooked or refused to go into headgate. Also allows for sheep to be closed up in the crush for work too as if there was no gate blocking the rear of the crush then they would be able to travel full length of crush plus race.

Teagasc guidance is 6ft (1.8m) for a crush. That would align with most of what I've seen. Adding a vet gate would leave the crush itself 9-10ft long.

Without a sliding gate, would mean that either the crush was open towards rear allowing animals to back out or open to side - might not be a problem for large cows, but for smaller cattle and sheep it would not be okay and so the secondary method of blocking is necessary. I think...

I understand that part, only worry i'd have is that any vet gate like u mention that ive seen is the same height and make up as race ( usually 3 horizontal bars) and I be afraid my cattle would try to jump it or get a leg stuck in it. Any sliding gates are usually much higher. I'd still have the sliding gate to keep a single animal trapped until head caught just in different place iykwim

I'll not be putting in a hinged gate to block of rear of crush. Too much opportunity for injury with gate getting kicked back and such like. Plus a tendency for people to lean into the race to close it - disaster waiting to happen.
    I've seen something that looks like 2 half gates closed by an overhead wheel - looks expensive though.

I might get an old crush gate and use it in a similar fashion, but if the height of the track for the sliding door is sufficient, that would be my preference.

I understand that part, only worry i'd have is that any vet gate like u mention that ive seen is the same height and make up as race ( usually 3 horizontal bars) and I be afraid my cattle would try to jump it or get a leg stuck in it. Any sliding gates are usually much higher. I'd still have the sliding gate to keep a single animal trapped until head caught just in different place iykwim

Race will be made up of a combination of 2" box gates and field gates that will be reused - like below to allow sheep/lambs to be put up it too. The gates will be cut to length, with centre droppers where needed to prevent sidewards pressure bursting them. Crush itself will probably be 2" box. The bars will be close enough to prevent legs going through, otherwise if we notice a problem it will be covered with stockboard to half gate height.

I understand what you mean by placing the taller gate at the rear to protect the vet. I could make a taller vet gate as there will be steels there capable to hang it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

I'll not be putting in a hinged gate to block of rear of crush. Too much opportunity for injury with gate getting kicked back and such like. Plus a tendency for people to lean into the race to close it - disaster waiting to happen.
    I've seen something that looks like 2 half gates closed by an overhead wheel - looks expensive though.

I might get an old crush gate and use it in a similar fashion, but if the height of the track for the sliding door is sufficient, that would be my preference.

I added a spring loaded gate latch at the top of the rear gate to prevent accidents as you mentioned above. I can push it in after the last bullock and it catches on the wall to allow you to latch it without being kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

ABlur wrote: »
    I added a spring loaded gate latch at the top of the rear gate to prevent accidents as you mentioned above. I can push it in after the last bullock and it catches on the wall to allow you to latch it without being kicked.

Is that a 520 d?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

ABlur wrote: »

Great idea there.

Just on that crush - do you have any issues with it being located along the shed with the side sheeting as in if you were dosing an animal and they lifted their head up quickly would they catch your hand against the sheeting ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Great idea there.

Just on that crush - do you have any issues with it being located along the shed with the side sheeting as in if you were dosing an animal and they lifted their head up quickly would they catch your hand against the sheeting ?

I don't dose, try to use pouron instead. If they needed a dose or bolus I would use the head scoop. Only summer grazing bullocks here they don't need much minding.

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Is that a 520 d?

Car? VW Tiguan

Advertisement