Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun license question

Options
  • 26-06-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I'm looking to start target shooting so was looking at joining the Blueball shooting range. But, there's a requirement for two members to back the application. I don't know any members! I don't have a gun license so I thought about getting the license by getting permission from farmers to shoot on their land. But, I don't know any farmers at all

Can anybody help me with what the best way to get permission from farmers is?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do you intend to hunt too? If not there is no need for the permission. If you do then the best bet is to get out and knock on some doors, visit the local gun club, and make yourself known. Starting out is the hardest, but just persevere.

As for the Midlands, head on over, introduce yourself, and Tony or one of the lads will give you the "grand tour". They'll show you around, and get you sorted in terms of membership. Just make sure its a weekend and to ring in advance of traveling due to covid restrictions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Thanks. No I don't intend to hint. So membership of a gun club will allow me to apply for the license then? Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes, but when I say gun club I mean hunting club. A range, like the Midlands in Blueball, is what you need to join if you want to target shoot, and this membership will allow you to get the license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

Yes thanks for that. I want to sign up for membership of the range and shoot only targets. I've been out at the range, had the tour an all. There is a requirement to know two members who will sign the membership application. So that is my current stumbling block!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Phone the range and talk to management there. Tell them that you don't know anybody there. They can advise you of the next steps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement