Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE OPPOSITE TO " THANK THIS POST "

• 25-06-2021 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

You provide a great option where if someone agrees with a post they can click on the " Thank post " tile. However if you disagree with a post there is no way of showing that without actually replying which sometimes just seems like too much effort ( sorry ).
    In situations like for example . " Name the ugliest car on the road " a poster might say " VW Golf " and get ten thanks but the post may have been read by twenty people who disagree without any option to show it .
    So what is the argument against a " Disagree with or thumbs down " tile.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

People are allowed an opinion that can differ from others, if 10 people think the golf is horrible and 20 people vote and think the Astra is horrible, then the result is the same as golf-10 and Astra+10.
    Personally I'd hate to see a down vote button, on things like reddit people down vote someone asking a question or stating a fact, only positive voting is refreshing, if you have enough of an opinion to down vote, then post a response and state why you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This is possible on the new site apparently, but it will be abused. Some people will just downvote every post by a poster they dislike.

It will add nothing if implemented.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

People are more likely to have something to say if they disagree and therefore are more likely to post their own thoughts in reply. Agreeing with someone doesn't provoke the same reaction, people used to post '+1' in agreement before we added the Thanks feature. It's a discussion site so we're really more interested in what people have to say rather than a reaction button. Having said that, as Leg End Reject has pointed out, there is the option to have negative reactions on the new site. However I don't think we will be using them as they have the potential to be used to 'downvote' others, to round up/gang up on a specific user or view point and they don't really contribute anything to a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

<snip>

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just like the old karma system, it was a disaster so I wouldnt want to see it back.

• Advertisement

However I don't think we will be using them as they have the potential to be used to 'downvote' others, to round up/gang up on a specific user or view point and they don't really contribute anything to a discussion.

Hi Niamh,

Thoughtful and comprehensive post as usual.

Just on the above tho, if you replaced "round up/gang up on" with "disagree with" would it not be a completely different reading of the function?

If five hundred people disagree with an argument it's quite valid imo to have that on record!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And if you have 500 Liverpool fans reading a Manchester United thread, or vice versa, you will find that function can be abused

That's an extreme (but valid in the context of what does happen in the Soccer Forum) example, but we see quite regularly in CA that certain posters take every opportunity to find ways to discredit to posts of certain other posters. Then we will have claims of accounts being set up to "downvote" posts supporting certain political parties. In the context of this site there is, in my view, likely to be extensively abused by certain people.

......fair enough- but then why have a 'like' button, which is surely open to the equal (if opposite) abuses!

nb im not massively invested here its just curious to me

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

snoopsheep wrote: »
    ......fair enough- but then why have a 'like' button, which is surely open to the equal (if opposite) abuses!

nb im not massively invested here its just curious to me
    Soccer does have a rule against abusing the thanks function. It's very difficult to apply/implement though as people can thank for all sorts of reasons

Just to add, I've sitebanned a number of accounts set up to troll United/Liverpool fans through thanking posts (and not making any posts) with a username that's only going to offend one set of fans or other

All this does though is highlight the different ways the upvote/downvote functions can be used across such a diverse site as this one

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Beasty wrote: »
    Soccer does have a rule against abusing the thanks function. It's very difficult to apply/implement though as people can thank for all sorts of reasons

Just to add, I've sitebanned a number of accounts set up to troll United/Liverpool fans through thanking posts (and not making any posts) with a username that's only going to offend one set of fans or other

All this does though is highlight the different ways the upvote/downvote functions can be used across such a diverse site as this one

How about a system where a username is not attached to a " like " or " dislike " but simply appears as a thumb up or down . In other words I dont know WHO liked or disliked my post only the number of each .
    That would mean that the troll never gets the satisfaction of knowing that THEY are annoying the poster . If you are actually replying to a post then certainly your username should appear.
    Im sure someone will point out very quickly the potential flaws in this suggestion and the likely laws of unintentional consequences :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I agree either vested could do either. The system there before was okay I thought.

Do people really get upset over if there post is not up voted or not

On a seperate note just realised how to multi quote

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why not have a an agree disagree and not a tot up. People could agree or disagree on loads of cars together

Try Reddit.

i do post in Reddit but it’s only useful if you largely agree with the general sentiment. Otherwise you get downvoted. I think debates work better here.

Yup, reddit is essentially an echo chamber due to this exact feature. If the majority disagree with your point, you'll get downvoted to oblivion and as a result your comments get hidden, thereby reinforcing the viewpoint of the majority only

Here everyone views are treated the same, you don't agree with someone, you discuss why, rather than hitting a button

Advertisement