Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

That is exactly what I think of when I think of Irish potato salad.
    Where did the mashed potato salad come from?
    Is it regional? Or was it invented for sandwiches in the 90s?

Looks lovely.

I'm literally allergic to the idea of mashed potato salad. I think it looks disgusting. I've no clue where or when it was invented. The thought of eating cold mashed potato turns my stomach.
    But without sounding big headed, my potato salad as shown is absolutely delicious. And I don't drown it in mayonnaise either. You should be able to taste every element, not just have a bowl of mayonnaise covered potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Recliner wrote: »
    The thought of eating cold mashed potato turns my stomach.

If we've had a roast dinner then my lads want mashed potato in their sandwiches in school the next day, even happier if we've gravy to spread on too. All cold. I don't know how they like it, didn't get it from me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

New potatoes.

It's my first summer back in Ireland in a long time and I've been dreaming about steaming some gorgeous floury new potatoes - you know, the kind you buy from a mystery van at the side of the road. But I haven't seen them anywhere, and shops don't seem to be stocking them. Am I too early in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

for the whole journey from Clare back to cork a week ago I only saw one and that was right by my home house just outside ennis.
    Might be a tad early

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Faith wrote: »
    New potatoes.

It's my first summer back in Ireland in a long time and I've been dreaming about steaming some gorgeous floury new potatoes - you know, the kind you buy from a mystery van at the side of the road. But I haven't seen them anywhere, and shops don't seem to be stocking them. Am I too early in the year?

They should be coming soon. 12 weeks after Paddy's day, give or take. Give it a week or two. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New potatoes.

Must be those meddling kids thieving all the spuds.

e66b035d-ff43-4c3a-b385-c267cf8fea2c-MYSTERY_VAN.jpg?crop=889,666,x0,y0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They should be coming soon. 12 weeks after Paddy's day, give or take. Give it a week or two. :pac:

I shall try and be patient then!

But on the topic of spuds, has anyone else found they're shīte quality at the moment? I sent Mr Faith out to buy a bag on Monday and he didn't look too closely at them. Came home and I looked and half of them very visibly mouldy/blighty. We had to throw them all out, there were inedible. I bought a new bag yesterday - totally different variety and scrutinised the exteriors carefully - and they were all manky inside when I started to cut them up. Ended up throwing them all out too! Is this because we've had such a wet May or am I just unlucky?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But on the topic of spuds, has anyone else found they're shīte quality at the moment? I sent Mr Faith out to buy a bag on Monday and he didn't look too closely at them. Came home and I looked and half of them very visibly mouldy/blighty. We had to throw them all out, there were inedible. I bought a new bag yesterday - totally different variety and scrutinised the exteriors carefully - and they were all manky inside when I started to cut them up. Ended up throwing them all out too! Is this because we've had such a wet May or am I just unlucky?!

I haven't noticed really.
    But it is the end of the season for "old" potatoes. They are as old as they can be as we wait for the new season potatoes.
    Same way, from mid summer to autumn, apples tend to be really crappy - just hanging around too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the new Italian and Cyprus potatoes, they used to be available in supermarkets from about May but it's become harder to find them in recent years. Here in Nth County Dublin the strawberry sellers by the side of the roads usually have new Irish potatoes before the strawberries are gone, so they should be out there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

My sister has been raving about Hello Fresh for weeks now and sent me a voucher to get a box so I ordered 3 meals off them. They were delivered today and the company are not filling me with confidence. They sent an email to say that they had to change the meals I ordered due to 'delivery issues' but I wasn't ordering caviar, it was beef burgers and pork pasta. To make things worse they didn't give me any recipe cards so I don't actually know what I'm supposed to be making with the new ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Maybe they have the recipes on their website?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's not just you, we've had a lot of bad potatoes recently and have had to compost much more than normal.

^ Maybe they have the recipes on their website?

They do but I'd be just guessing at what the recipe was going by what ingredients we'd been given and it would've taken all day. I contacted them about it and they worked out that they'd sent me a veggie pasta bake and some other sort of breaded chicken thing. Not really ideal as my husband isn't a big fan of veggies (don't get me started) and I really wanted to try out their different types of meat. Ah well, they gave us a discount for next week's box but I think I'll just cancel it after that.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    They do but I'd be just guessing at what the recipe was going by what ingredients we'd been given and it would've taken all day. I contacted them about it and they worked out that they'd sent me a veggie pasta bake and some other sort of breaded chicken thing. Not really ideal as my husband isn't a big fan of veggies (don't get me started) and I really wanted to try out their different types of meat. Ah well, they gave us a discount for next week's box but I think I'll just cancel it after that.

Pretty shoddy alright. I am fit to murder someone if they get my take away delivery wrong. Make sure you let them know. No excuse for it but bad management.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pretty shoddy alright. I am fit to murder someone if they get my take away delivery wrong. Make sure you let them know. No excuse for it but bad management.

Me too! I agree with Gloom, Molly. I'd let them know you're not happy.

Yeah the customer rep I was speaking to is raising a complaint with them about it but to be honest I'm just gonna complain with my feet (so to speak) and just not order from them again. They gave us a credit for the 2 meals they messed up but if they can't get their first impression right then I won't ever have confidence in them again.
    Especially now that we made the first meal last night and it wasn't anything special. Might be useful for people who aren't used to cooking maybe but there was a ton of plastic waste as everything was packaged individually and it wasn't any easier for me than just getting the ingredients in my weekly shop. So there's not really any benefit to me other than trying a different recipe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

BBQ is a thing these days, so I'm wondering.

I don't have a garden. My oven is banjaxed. My kitchen is tiny.

But, if I could get a small George Foreman type thing... Would it be good for making fast roast/grilled veggies like aubergine or courgette? Would it work for that?

I love roast Mediterranean vegetables, but avoid using the oven. And trying to fry them doesn't work so well. They just stew in the water that comes out and the texture is a bit limp. I'd like chargrilled.

Cooking for one person.

Something like this? Or is it too small for making vegetables?

https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/health-grills-en/george-foreman-grills/george-foreman-small-fit-grill--25800--black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

New potatoes.

I got some leaving Waterford las Sunday around lunchtime, along with some strawberries. Potatoes were nice but waxy rather than flowery. Would prefer flowery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

igCorcaigh wrote: »

But, if I could get a small George Foreman type thing... Would it be good for making fast roast/grilled veggies like aubergine or courgette? Would it work for that?

I love roast Mediterranean vegetables, but avoid using the oven. And trying to fry them doesn't work so well. They just stew in the water that comes out and the texture is a bit limp. I'd like chargrilled.

Cooking for one person.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/health-grills-en/george-foreman-grills/george-foreman-small-fit-grill--25800--black.html

Try this, I do my veg in minutes in one most days. https://www.did.ie/tower-1-5l-compact-air-fryer-black-t17025-t17025-prd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cooking for one person.

Do you have any outdoor space at all? If you have a square meter or less you could get a mini kamado, you'd probably get a fair bit of use of it. You could use it to direct grill and also set it up for indirect heat for roasting.

https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/manado-bono-charcoal-grill/kamado-bono-picnic/

Personally, having had a George Foreman, I wouldn't recommend them. They're great as sandwich / panini makers, but for cooking much else... Not so much. The clean-up with meat is a pain in particular. If you can find the dough I would repair or replace your oven and get a few roasting tins and that would be more useful in vegetable prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In my limited experience of GF grills, they just don't get hot enough to char or sear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Cooking for one person.

If money isn't an issue something like this could be got cheaper i'm sure. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Countertop-Stainless-Nonstick-Commercial/dp/B087X328XR
    Also Aldi were supposed to sell a Pizza maker which folds out into a griddle pan and hot plate the other day but it was not in stock so it should go on sale in the next few weeks with a bit of luck. https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-pizza-maker/p/703729393101801

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I agree, it's hard to get a decent chargrilled flavour with GF grills. A cast iron griddle pan for your hob would be 100 times better.

New potatoes.

The strawberry sellers of nth county Dublin have new season potatoes for sale now :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I agree, it's hard to get a decent chargrilled flavour with GF grills. A cast iron griddle pan for your hob would be 100 times better.

I didn't think of that. Brilliant.
    Would that be suitable for cooking vegetables like aubergine and courgette without getting soggy?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, but be prepared for A LOT of smoke.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would that be suitable for cooking vegetables like aubergine and courgette without getting soggy?

IMO a key thing to using a griddle is to very lightly oil whatever your cooking, don’t put oil in the pan.

Yes, absolutely. As Awec said - oil the food not the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Anyone made / had deep fried Brussels sprouts? (I've always called then brussel sprouts, apparently that's wrong)

Just been looking at recipes, maybe involving quartered sprouts, smoked lardons, either almonds or walnuts, maybe a little golden syrup and balsamic, and salt and white pepper.

I've been informed by my grocer they are in season September to March.

Craving

• Advertisement

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Anyone made / had deep fried Brussels sprouts? (I've always called then brussel sprouts, apparently that's wrong)

Just been looking at recipes, maybe involving quartered sprouts, smoked lardons, either almonds or walnuts, maybe a little golden syrup and balsamic, and salt and white pepper.

I've been informed by my grocer they are in season September to March.

Craving

Roasted in a hot oven with some lardons and plenty of salt for 20 minutes. :)

I haven’t tried them but you can get frozen sprouts all year round.

Advertisement