Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well he only used for them for his kettle bells, and I only use them for pull ups on that bar/support beam in the photo, which is rough as all hell. Get what you pay for. Hard to find quality stuff here. Thankfully, my barbell is ok.

I think my humour is lost on you. I was taking the piss out of lifting gloves. As Arnie once said, if you’re going to wear lifting gloves, make sure they match your purse :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If a person gave me lifting gloves I wouldn’t consider them a friend

You're clearly not a break dancer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I don't ever remember my knees been so noisy , just squatting down or walking down the stairs it's like a series of small crackling sounds . Is this a side effect of weight lifting , it wasn't that bad before lifting. There is zero pain in any position . Does anyone else suffer from this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

By all accounts, noisy knees are not a problem unless there is also pain. Don't know the actual causes of the noise.

But if there is pain, best see a professional. Until then, there's no getting off the gain train

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I don't ever remember my knees been so noisy , just squatting down or walking down the stairs it's like a series of small crackling sounds . Is this a side effect of weight lifting , it wasn't that bad before lifting. There is zero pain in any position . Does anyone else suffer from this ?

This video below will explain better but if you're over 35yo I wouldn't recommend lifting anything too heavy.

• Advertisement

markmoto wrote: »
    This video below will explain better but if you're over 35yo I wouldn't recommend lifting anything too heavy.

What do you mean by "too heavy"?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    What do you mean by "too heavy"?

If you're over 35yo and not train professionally doing less than 20 reps first set that's too heavy.

That video was really good thanks , it seems no pain no problem thanks

If you're over 35yo and not train professionally doing less than 20 reps first set that's too heavy.

Do you mean warm up with 20 light reps then start working sets ?

Do you mean warm up with 20 light reps then start working sets ?

Sorry I mean First working set weight, if you cant do 20 reps or more that's too heavy for 35yo and over who never trained professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How you warm up is one thing, the other and more important side is building up more redundancy in this case knees so that your activities dont lead to knee pain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Joints can make all kinds of weird and wonderful noises. Not an issue unless you’re experiencing pain.

35 year olds can lift heavy. 90 year olds can lift heavy. Heavy is relative.

I would like to see your justification for this.

Because, IMO is a gross generalisation and nobody likes those.

they/them/theirs

I would like to see your justification for this.

Because, IMO is a gross generalisation and nobody likes those.

Age-related changes in collagen.
    Declines can cause ligaments tendons bones and cartilage to become less flexible and more brittle over time.

Declines can cause ligaments tendons bones and cartilage to become less flexible and more brittle over time.

That’s correct. But why randomly pick 20 reps and 35 years old?

I’ve been training heavy for 20 years and see no reason to stop

they/them/theirs

That’s correct. But why randomly pick 20 reps and 35 years old?

I’ve been training heavy for 20 years and see no reason to stop

You don't have to. My recommendation for over 35yo who at some point decide to change lifestyle and go to the gym first time in years.

And if you think 35 is random I am sure you can do little research. Perhaps start with bodybuilding.com forum.

Full stop no further replies for the same question, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yes, but that simply means that training has to be matched to their ability levels. No evidence to support the idea that older people can’t lift weights that are highly challenging. For an eldery woman that could be an empty barbell. It’s still heavy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Noted source of scientific literature, the bodybuilding.com forums.

People only hear what they want to hear. Your life your choice.

I really don't understand the "professionally" part. Like what I can workout for two more years and then bam I need to be able to do 20 reps of the weight because I'm not a soccer player or wrestler?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Not only is lifting safe after 35, it is safe at any age provided it is approached in an appropriate manner.

I'd go further than just saying resistance training is safe, I'd say barbell training is safe. You can scale or modify exercises as required and be precise in terms of loading, sets, reps and training frequency.

I am laughing as I type this at the idea that many 35 year old are contraindicated from continuing - or even beginning - resistance training, but actually my experience is that even people 55 and up can do it safely.

There is no more potent way to improve strength, muscular endurance, balance and body composition than include resistance training in a fitness regimen.

The sooner someone begins the sooner they can address major issues for the older population around bone and muscle loss - particularly older women. It's crucial for encouraging independent living and resistance to accident and injury in an older population.

We're all on a trajectory of decline as we get older. Losing muscle mass, losing bone density, our cartilage deteriorating and various changes in hormones and endocrine function. But that's precisely why we should train, comical to suggest that the situation we are trying to mitigate should be the reason we are precluded from training.

What is lacking isn't even evidence that resistance training is safe and beneficial to populations far older than 35, what's lacking is precisely how to train them best, and long term outcomes.

You don't have to. My recommendation for over 35yo who at some point decide to change lifestyle and go to the gym first time in years.

And if you think 35 is random I am sure you can do little research. Perhaps start with bodybuilding.com forum.

Full stop no further replies for the same question, sorry.

If that’s your answer, I’m going to dismiss your opinion as nonsense.

they/them/theirs

People only hear what they want to hear. Your life your choice.

I hear lots of things. Which is why it’s important to challenge all opinions and look for supporting evidence. You don’t have any, so what you say can be dismissed easily.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

My orthopaedic consultant recommended recommended a higher rep range for joint health, she said 5-10 was fine, nothing like 20, she also said I could happily train until I didn't want to - age was not a limiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

We start to lose muscle mass from 30 years of age onwards.
    Weightlifting and resistance training is absolutely indicated and advisable to counter act this. To suggest you can't lift heavy (which as said is subjective) is ridiculous and frankly bad advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If that’s your answer, I’m going to dismiss your opinion as nonsense.

Fair play for not dismissing his opinion sooner. Some daft stuff written here the past few weeks.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Fair play for not dismissing his opinion sooner. Some daft stuff written here the past few weeks.

Sometimes people struggle to get their point across, but they have something worth listening to. Not in this case it seems.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Noted source of scientific literature, the bodybuilding.com forums.

Makes a change from linking studies that they didn't understand and said different things to the point they were trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was with a physio for something else a few years ago and was doing a squat and my knees were like bubble wrap being trampled on. He said unless it's sore, there's no issue.

• Advertisement

I was with a physio for something else a few years ago and was doing a squat and my knees were like bubble wrap being trampled on. He said unless it's sore, there's no issue.

Conversely, my knees are silent and I’ve had 2 surgeries on the left

they/them/theirs

Advertisement