Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Know a fella that flew out to Spain last month un vaccinated said it was just as bad here as there but he now has Covid! Recovering now, but it was a bad dose.

Greetings from Spain again! The local clinic that does testing for travellers next to my gym, I got chatting to them last week. Asked them how many positive cases they get per week on average. No word of a lie, she said:

“Per week? We haven’t had a positive test result in months”

Don’t forget to tell your mates this story too for balance ;) (and it’s true)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Australia's Covid response (along with New Zealand ) is made so much easier by their Geographical situation and ease of Isolation,just ask any of their guests on Papua New Guinea.

Quite what their economy will look like in 12 months time is as yet an unanswered question,but then again Ireland's may be equally scuppered unless we wake up and make some Coffee to smell !!

Last I checked in Autstralia, wages went up and property prices went down. I wonder why.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Does anyone know what Belfast Airport is like as Dublin is not up to speed with what is needed.
    It may be they will get the equipment needed as it was too slow on arrivals last week.
    I think i read here people queued on tarmac....

I came through on Wednesday lunchtime and there were no delays. The lad at the booth next to me announced he had no documents, don't know how that plan works at the moment, with covid testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Given that Ireland now has the third highest Covid rates in the EU and all EU countries cases are almost equally divided by the Alpha and Delta variants, what has Mandatory Hotel Quarantine achieved other than create hardship and xenophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Given that Ireland now has the third highest Covid rates in the EU and all EU countries cases are almost equally divided by the Alpha and Delta variants, what has Mandatory Hotel Quarantine achieved other than create hardship and xenophobia?

It seemed to placate the wokerati on Twitter for a while with their purple hair and Vote Yes badges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The only people who champion MHQ at this stage are uneducated racists

The only people who champion MHQ at this stage are uneducated racists

Know a fella that flew out to Spain last month un vaccinated said it was just as bad here as there but he now has Covid! Recovering now, but it was a bad dose.

Know a fella that bought a secondhand car, but now he has herpes. Awful bad dose, wasn’t the Irish herpes awful foreign stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Sounds like something Dr Ray 'The Anecdote' Walley would say as if it's some kind of proof of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gral6 wrote: »
    I know a fella, who took luas from Tallaght to Point 2 weeks ago, he has covid now! He is un vaxxed, recovering now from running nose!

Your friend is at home. My guy is stuck out there sick, no fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Flew in from Amsterdam 3 days ago after spending 2 weeks in Greece to avoid MHQ after spending a few weeks in a red lis country. A large group of Irish women on the flight coming from Dubai - they did not seem worried about MHQ, to quote them: "they won't check." I thought immigration would check but of course they didn't - all the girls sailed through. In my case, immigration checked my PCR results and my locator form receipt, but didn't check my passport. Of course, these women were fully vaccinated and had a negative PCR test, so MHQ would have been ludicrous, but it sums up the gaping holes in the attempts to stop people coming from Red List countries. For all the 'noise' around the restrictions, there's very little strictness either leaving or returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If it salves your conscience a little bit - Ireland has the forth highest 14 day incidence in the EU - after Cyprus, Portugal, and Spain.

But a question - if Irish people were also likely to have ended up in MHQ - how does that work with it being xenophobic?

Edit. Forgot to mention - the UK currently has a 14 day incidence rate over 3 times the rate here - with about 95 per cent of all confirmed cases of coronavirus being the Delta variant. Delta is also known to be highly transmissible. With a shared border and a common travel area with the UK - I reckon we're lucky to currently be only number 4 in the EU atm. It would nearly make you think - that there was some kind of common denominator or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Flew in from Amsterdam 3 days ago after spending 2 weeks in Greece to avoid MHQ after spending a few weeks in a red lis country. A large group of Irish women on the flight coming from Dubai - they did not seem worried about MHQ, to quote them: "they won't check." I thought immigration would check but of course they didn't - all the girls sailed through. In my case, immigration checked my PCR results and my locator form receipt, but didn't check my passport. Of course, these women were fully vaccinated and had a negative PCR test, so MHQ would have been ludicrous, but it sums up the gaping holes in the attempts to stop people coming from Red List countries. For all the 'noise' around the restrictions, there's very little strictness either leaving or returning.

That's your experience but from my own first hand experience and from anecdotal evidence they sure as hell are strict. I flew in and out of Cork in June. I was quizzed going out as to the reasons for my travel and immigration were extremely thorough on return, checking everything from every single passenger. I saw two people being hauled off to MHQ over issues with PCR. I completely disagree with the Irish approach but to say they're not strict and not applying rules, is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sailed in there from merica, it took less than 1 minute to get through border check, showed him print out of test and locator, he glanced and told me to "head on", my favourite security check in the world. Most on the flight were non eu, so I really got through fast, much faster than previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Sailed in there from merica, it took less than 1 minute to get through border check, showed him print out of test and locator, he glanced and told me to "head on", my favourite security check in the world. Most on the flight were non eu, so I really got through fast, much faster than previous.

Flown between Texas and Dublin 6 times since the pandemic started and this has been my experience. I have business and citizenship with both countries so its never been a problem. I have always followed the hse guidelines and originally did the full 14 day quarantine and now the modified shorter with negative test and been fully vaccinated since March.

I've never really been questioned on what I was doing or going just said it was for business and off I went, of all the locator forms I filled in they only called me once....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It may be quite simply be that the essential travel people are being fast-tracked through.
    I came through last week and it was crazy as passport control had to check 3 documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

There is much more chances of getting Covid here in Ireland now than in UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

acequion wrote: »
    That's your experience but from my own first hand experience and from anecdotal evidence they sure as hell are strict. I flew in and out of Cork in June. I was quizzed going out as to the reasons for my travel and immigration were extremely thorough on return, checking everything from every single passenger. I saw two people being hauled off to MHQ over issues with PCR. I completely disagree with the Irish approach but to say they're not strict and not applying rules, is incorrect.

Quizzed? So asked questions and relying on your verbal answer?!

"Coming from Amsterdam girls?"
    "Yip"
    "Been to any red list countries girls?"
    "Nope"
    "On ye go"

Very thorough. im sure that'll stop the huns transitting through Amsterdam to avoid MHQ.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Quizzed? So asked questions and relying on your verbal answer?!

"Coming from Amsterdam girls?"
    "Yip"
    "Been to any red list countries girls?"
    "Nope"
    "On ye go"

Very thorough. im sure that'll stop the huns transitting through Amsterdam to avoid MHQ.

They weren't even that thorough. For me it was just: "Where are you coming from? Amsterdam. Grand."

On the way out the Garda asked if I was going traveling for work and before I could show him my letter, he waved me on.

The absurdity of a fully vaccinated person having to hotel quarantine yet a non-vaccinated person coming from the UK not having to aside, they simply are not being strict on this.

Maybe in Cork, but in Dublin it's not the case. PCR and passenger locator form receipt were being checked and a brief glance at passport and that was it. No one was having their passport scanned or the stamps checked (fairly easy way to see if you have recently left Dubai/Turkey etc).

• Advertisement

They weren't even that thorough. For me it was just: "Where are you coming from? Amsterdam. Grand."

On the way out the Garda asked if I was going traveling for work and before I could show him my letter, he waved me on.

The absurdity of a fully vaccinated person having to hotel quarantine yet a non-vaccinated person coming from the UK not having to aside, they simply are not being strict on this.

Came in to Dublin port a couple days ago for a quick visit and they didn’t ask any questions about where I’d been nor check that I’d done a passenger locator form. Its clearly not being taken seriously by border control any more, so why there would still be MHQ in place for a few unfortunates is beyond me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Came in to Dublin port a couple days ago for a quick visit and they didn’t ask any questions about where I’d been nor check that I’d done a passenger locator form. Its clearly not being taken seriously by border control any more, so why there would still be MHQ in place for a few unfortunates is beyond me

Ireland is the only EU country with MHQ and the strictest covid restrictions. Yet we have one of the highest covid rates in the EU. So whether you’re pro or anti travel I think it’s fair to say no one is taking this seriously :pac: :pac:

Maybe in Cork, but in Dublin it's not the case. PCR and passenger locator form receipt were being checked and a brief glance at passport and that was it. No one was having their passport scanned or the stamps checked (fairly easy way to see if you have recently left Dubai/Turkey etc).

They were asking everyone in Cork to pull down the masks so they could see your face, it was that thorough. I really wouldn't fancy my chances not having a good reason to get out and not having everything in order coming back. In comparison to entering and exiting in Alicante where all was efficient but cool, you're talking North Korea with those Defence officers hanging around for added effect. You really would want to be mental to come here at the moment.

I did my 5 days quarantine til the test and just got a few texts from the HSE, ie was I deffo at the same address, that kind of stuff. The quarantine would indeed be simple to break, it's ridiculous anyway.:rolleyes:

I will add that my travel was weeks ago, so maybe things are starting to get more lax now as we're [hopefully] nearing the end of these farcical restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Acosta

Over the last couple of weeks while on my walks around Cork Airport I haven't seen any Guards checking departing passengers out on the roads, outside the terminal or in the check in area. Unless they've moved to the departures area upstairs. They're not where they have been since the checks started anyway.

Acosta wrote: »
    Over the last couple of weeks while on my walks around Cork Airport I haven't seen any Guards checking departing passengers out on the roads, outside the terminal or in the check in area. Unless they've moved to the departures area upstairs. They're not where they have been since the checks started anyway.

Yes they are in the Departures area upstairs. Every passenger going through is questioned, at least that was the case when I travelled in early June. Nothing outside or downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭gral6

...just copied British with their MHQs , added our ugly staff to it. At the end we've got monstrosity in North Korean style.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

I will add that my travel was weeks ago, so maybe things are starting to get more lax now as we're [hopefully] nearing the end of these farcical restrictions.

https://gript.ie/exclusive-government-tendering-for-mandatory-quarantine-for-next-year/

fran38 wrote: »

While that doesn’t look great on the face of it, it would be remiss of any government to not have the agreements and plans in place, just in case there is some nasty variant next year that requires a quick response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

They were asking everyone in Cork to pull down the masks so they could see your face, you're talking North Korea with those Defence officers hanging around for added effect. You really would want to be mental to come here at the moment.

Obviously they need to see your face ffs.

North Korea? Talk about hysterics.

Advertisement