Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel 2021

• 16-05-2021 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Lads the sea is 11 degrees, macks should be showing up any day now! I was feathering out in Malahide today but no joy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭flended12

The mackerel season is totally blurred last few years. I'd expect them now but would roll the dice and say maybe another month or so.... was catching them until late October a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Should start seeing a few over the next few weeks now. Im going to Kilkee Saturday ill report back

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I spent the last wo days fishing from the kayak off the Wexford Coast. Four of us out Saturday and three of us yesterday. One mackerel between us. Mind you I did have two on the line but one unhooked himself at the side of the kayak. They were a fine size too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

What type of fishing setup would you use on a kayak if you don't mind me asking?

I spent the last wo days fishing from the kayak off the Wexford Coast. Four of us out Saturday and three of us yesterday. One mackerel between us. Mind you I did have two on the line but one unhooked himself at the side of the kayak. They were a fine size too!

They probably saw that green plastic float you sit on and darted!

• Advertisement

Bawnmore wrote: »
    What type of fishing setup would you use on a kayak if you don't mind me asking?

Everything on a kayak regards rigs is a shorter version of what the beach lads use.

Example: IF you have a set of 7-8 feathers for casting off the beach, just use same rig with 3 or 4 on it for kayak. Kayaking on the sea is handy, you dont really have to cast that far.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bawnmore wrote: »

Short everything!

As flended12 says, cut your feather rigs down to three. Last thing you want in seven mad macks dancing around on your lap :eek:

DCIM-101-GOPRO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

any signs lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Was chatting to a lad in Achill the weekend, had caught about 25 one day and 5 the next! Nice size too!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Caught 12 yesterday with just 3casts in blackhead co clare

• Advertisement

I fished over high tide this morning at the Balscadden rocks in Howth, first time going here and never again, beer cans/bottles/rubbish all over and the whole place reeked of piss. No mackerel either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

I was informed today that line caught mackerel cannot be landed today by a fella on my local pier is this correct or is he mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

I was informed today that line caught mackerel cannot be landed today by a fella on my local pier is this correct or is he mistaken.

For commercial fishing the majority of the quotas were given to the bigger trawlers and they've already exhausted them. Don't think this affects recreational anglers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes can't be sold but not sure what limit they put on for recreational angler. I know you can catch 1 lobster and 5 crab per day recreationally, not sure what the allowed limit if any is for mackeral 20-30 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

There is no limit on recreational anglers with regards mackerel.
    Usually 400 tons of mackerel quota was reserved for the "hook and line" fishery. This usually does the whole country. However the limit per trip was increased to 750kg and therefore the fishery became more viable. Also jigging machines take a lot of the hard work out of this fishing. The 400 ton inshore quota was taken up rapidly (Mainly by boats off Mayo, so I'm told.) There has been no transfer of quota from the big pelagic fishery (The national quota is around 61,000 tons) so the boats that fish for mackerel later in the year off the south coast cannot now fish as the hook and line fishery is currently closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I fished over high tide this morning at the Balscadden rocks in Howth, first time going here and never again, beer cans/bottles/rubbish all over and the whole place reeked of piss. No mackerel either!

Balscadden is an absolute cesspit. I have seen fellas fighting on the rocks over tangled lines with mackerel on them. I was out in a boat fortunately. Its about as far from my idea of sea fishing as its possible to get. I havent wet a line in the sea in Dublin in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

There is no limit on recreational anglers with regards mackerel.
    Usually 400 tons of mackerel quota was reserved for the "hook and line" fishery. This usually does the whole country. However the limit per trip was increased to 750kg and therefore the fishery became more viable. Also jigging machines take a lot of the hard work out of this fishing. The 400 ton inshore quota was taken up rapidly (Mainly by boats off Mayo, so I'm told.) There has been no transfer of quota from the big pelagic fishery (The national quota is around 61,000 tons) so the boats that fish for mackerel later in the year off the south coast cannot now fish as the hook and line fishery is currently closed.

Scary when you think of 400 tons taken from the sea just from recreational fishing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Scary when you think of 400 tons taken from the sea just from recreational fishing alone.

No that 400 tons is for the hook and line fishery, commerical boats catching it by hook and line using jigging machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

This gives some idea. It is not a artisanal as you'd think!

https://youtu.be/No_nxfU9AtY

https://youtu.be/Iep78ScjFIY

No mackerel on the boat yesterday out from North Dublin, spent 3 hours looking about the place for them..

• Advertisement

Yeah Dublin definitely has it's "spots to avoid" but there is still plenty good fishing to be had, I've caught 10 bass for far this year, my biggest being 73cm! I keep record of everything I catch on a website I made too https://lambayfishing.ie/reports.html

Spent 4 hours feathering Dublin bay side of Howth yesterday over high water, no joy, not even a pollock..

Big ones trolling in Donegal last weekend.

No mackerel in 3 hours feathering Dublin Bay yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I have a few hours free on Saturday, where would be the nearest place to Dublin that has a reasonable chance of mackerel being present?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Haven't gone there in over ten years but never remember a rubbish problem, pity about the selfish fks who ruin it for everyone.

The only reports of mackerel being caught that I've seen so far this year are in Mayo, Donegal and Down with catches being especially good in Mayo & Donegal!

Spent a few hours feathering over high tide at poolbeg this evening, lots of people fishing, no one catching mackerel, the lads who were bait fishing were getting smooth hounds, dogs and wrasse..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Spent two hours fishing on the Prom in Galway around high tide with spinners and feathers and not a smell of a mack. The water temp is more than enough and there were plenty of spray around, what’s missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Advertisement