Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

Yeah passed there other day and saw it. Struck me as an odd place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone tried Song & Jenn at the back of McHugh's?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hit up the Fisherman’s Catch chip van today, out in clogherhead. Mainly after reading constant recommendations for the place on here.

God, it was awesome. €10 for two lovely, perfectly cooked pieces of fish and a fair decent serving of chips. (€6 for a half size portion). Took it off to a nearby picnic table overlooking the port. Really quaint and a really nice afternoon out. Can absolutely understand the hype people have given it on here.

(I’ll ignore the sewage truck that was parked outside and absolutely stunk. I get that isn’t their fault but I’ll want to go again when I’m not being gassed out of it, lol).

I went down expecting it to be a basic chipper level of battered fish but it was perfectly cooked. I’d have been thrilled if I got such a nice piece of fish in a “proper” restaurant.

Ice cream from the Porthole desert place next door were nice too. A perfect day out and only wish I’d tried it out earlier in the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hit up the Fisherman’s Catch chip van today, out in clogherhead. Mainly after reading constant recommendations for the place on here.

God, it was awesome. €10 for two lovely, perfectly cooked pieces of fish and a fair decent serving of chips. (€6 for a half size portion). Took it off to a nearby picnic table overlooking the port. Really quaint and a really nice afternoon out. Can absolutely understand the hype people have given it on here.

(I’ll ignore the sewage truck that was parked outside and absolutely stunk. I get that isn’t their fault but I’ll want to go again when I’m not being gassed out of it, lol).

I went down expecting it to be a basic chipper level of battered fish but it was perfectly cooked. I’d have been thrilled if I got such a nice piece of fish in a “proper” restaurant.

Ice cream from the Porthole desert place next door were nice too. A perfect day out and only wish I’d tried it out earlier in the pandemic.

If it's any consolation to you, it was closed for most of the pandemic and has just reopened recently. So you didn't miss anything!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've been to the Fisherman’s Catch about 3 or 4 times now since it opened back up and it is superb every time. I'm not even a big fish eater, but it tastes so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

We booked a table in Hops on the “hottest day of the year” for 6pm.

We arrived a few minutes early and the outdoor space was busy with people drinking (most) and eating (some).

A big outdoor screen had been set up and the football was on, lovely.

We managed to find a quiet table which was away from the screen and most of the noise.

We made our choices and sat for a few minutes, nobody came near us so I asked a passing waitress if we could place our orders.

The waitress took our order and asked if “we’d like to pay now?”

Somewhat taken aback we said we’d pay when we were finished eating if that was ok.
    It was.

She didn’t take the menus away for some reason so I moved them to an empty table beside us.

I feared the worst, but surprisingly our first course (patatas bravas) arrived within 10 mins.

It was fine, a large portion (enough for two) of cubed potatoes with chorizo.

As we waited for our mains you could see plenty of people asking for menus and drinks.

A couple of people were chasing waitresses asking “where’s my steak??” too!

The onsite entertainment was provided by our waitress coming out of the kitchen with plates of food and not having a notion where the food was supposed to go.

She just sort of wandered around hoping to make eye contact with someone who might have ordered the food she was carrying.

She was usually successful after a lap or two.

Also nice to see some of the staff wearing masks, on their chins.

We made eye contact with our waitress and got our mains (rib eye steak & scampi) about 15 mins after our starter which wasn’t bad in fairness.

Mrs ox asked for some tartare sauce and vinegar, the waitress looked at her and said “tartare sauce and vinegar??”

(The scampi was supposed to come with “home made” tartare sauce)

We got the sauce but were told there was no vinegar in the restaurant “due to brexit”

When we saw the scampi we both looked at each other and said “findus!”

The waitress present me with my “medium cooked” steak (no steak knife)
    I’d asked for medium-rare but by this stage I was too distressed to speak.

The scampi was pretty bad but I have to say the steak was delicious, with a lovely pepper sauce on the side.

We asked for and received the bill but no-one came near us to take payment so I went inside and paid by card.

“Running away” was briefly discussed, I don’t think anyone would have noticed either way.

No-one asked us “how was your meal?” or “is everything ok for you?” at any time.

There seemed to be plenty of staff around but very little in the way of organisation.

I’ll put the scatterbrain service down to lack of training & poor leadership but no way will I be eating there ever again.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We went to the valley Inn last night. Table booked for 6. Grand, we sat outside the door under the marquee. Ordered food and drink. Service was super quick. Food was lovely. Good crowd there. We had the table from 6 to 8 but we were finished well before that. Daughter then went babysitting for a couple heading there at 8. They were seated at the top of the car park and didn't stay long as they were frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

furiousox wrote: »
    I’ll put the scatterbrain service down to lack of training & poor leadership but no way will I be eating there ever again.
    I don't know the place but are you being a bit harsh? Many establishments are trying outdoor dining for the first time and may have changed menu's and certainly table layouts to suit. I'd be surprized if staff are not a bit 'dizzy' for the first week or two.

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't know the place but are you being a bit harsh? Many establishments are trying outdoor dining for the first time and may have changed menu's and certainly table layouts to suit. I'd be surprized if staff are not a bit 'dizzy' for the first week or two.

Perhaps, but looking at the online reviews this isn't a recent issue for them, plenty of complaints about haphazard service going back a year or two.
    I have to say the rib-eye was very tasty so I might give Goodwins steak house a try next time.

CPL 593H

Went to The Forge Field Coffee shop yesterday for breakfast. Was just lovely! Busy enough for a Monday morning but plenty of space between the tables. We were in the greenhouse area so it was grand and warm as there was a breeze out. Food delicious as always and service great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Perhaps, but looking at the online reviews this isn't a recent issue for them, plenty of complaints about haphazard service going back a year or two.
    I have to say the rib-eye was very tasty so I might give Goodwins steak house a try next time.

Here's an idea, look at the reviews before you book, not afterwards. Save you the pain :D

I was in Goodwin's for Sunday lunch on 2 occasions late last year (when indoor dining was allowed), and I have to be honest, I wasn't impressed by the service (food was fine). I felt the tables were too close both times. On our first visit, we had to go and find a waitress to take our order, and when she did come to the table, she pulled down the mask to talk to us! I watched her do the same at other tables, it wasn't just at ours.
    On our second visit we had to ask the manager where our food was, it took so long to serve our main course. People who had come in after us were served before us.
    I won't be rushing back.

Fancied a late lunch yesterday so we gave D'Vine a call and secured a table in the courtyard at the rear of the restaurant.
    We arrived just before 3.00 and were seated immediately.

It was a nice hot day but noticeably cooler under the parasols in the courtyard, borderline chilly in fact.

The waiter presented us with menus and took our drinks order straight away.

We ordered a tapas portion of prawns pil-pil to start which we shared.

Mrs ox ordered fish and chips (haddock in tempura batter w/ fries and mushy peas)

I went for the rib-eye w/ gratin potatoes, pepper sce and crispy onions.

The prawns arrived within 10 mins and were delicious, nice and plump with the vein removed and swimming in chilli and garlic.
    Very tasty!

The mains arrived promptly and were also delicious.
    The (medium-rare) rib-eye was perfectly cooked with tasty crispy onions on top, a rich pepper sce and nicely layered creamy gratin potatoes.

Mrs ox said the fish was "lovely."
    It was a (huge) piece of nice fresh haddock cooked in a light and crispy batter.
    The peas were very nice too, fresh, and cooked "al dente" with a touch of mint.

We were too full for dessert or coffee so we just asked for the bill which came to 71 euro for the food along with a bottle of peroni and a half bottle of house white wine.

That's our first time in D'Vine in many months and we really enjoyed our meal there.

The food was excellent, the only drawback was the chilliness of the courtyard but it was tolerable.

Looking forward to getting back there when indoor dining opens up.

CPL 593H

What's the story with Donegan's? Cycled passed it yesterday and it was locked up tight and maybe some work going on?.

Meanwhile up the road at the Valley Inn they had 3 different areas for outdoor dining. One at the front, roadside and 2 marquees at the side. Looked to be at capacity too. Which was great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

What's the story with Donegan's? Cycled passed it yesterday and it was locked up tight and maybe some work going on?.

Meanwhile up the road at the Valley Inn they had 3 different areas for outdoor dining. One at the front, roadside and 2 marquees at the side. Looked to be at capacity too. Which was great to see.

Not opening until indoor dining on 5th July I think. Valley is is a great set up everyday I pass it there's a great atmosphere at it.

It looked it yesterday for sure. Got a shout of "allez allez" from someone sat at the front tables as I passed on my bike :D

Went to the Valley last Wednesday for lunch and it was doing a roaring trade. Was lovely to see a constant flow of people in and out. Food was as good as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭PGE1970

The Valley was packed last weekend.

Booked out all day Sunday; no walk-ins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Booked out all day Sunday; no walk-ins!
    I'm seeing more and more places now refusing to take bookings and only taking walk-ins. Must be something to do with cancelations/no-shows.

I see Tango closed it's doors on Sunday for the last time. I was never a fan of it's takeout but it's indoor dining was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Tango reopening shortly under new management.

• Advertisement

I think I saw a lease sign out front for the pub there too when I passed last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Looks like things haven't improved much in the hops.
    I was talking to someone who was there today for lunch there were only 4 tables occupied and every one of them had problems with food or service.
    Wrong food orders going to the wrong tables.
    one person got their food 40 mins after everyone else at the table.
    Someone had to ask for the bill FOUR TIMES!
    They said " if you don't bring the bill in the next 5 mins we're leaving!" :-0
    Looks like a job for Gordon Ramsey to sort out.

Looks like things haven't improved much in the hops.
    I was talking to someone who was there today for lunch there were only 4 tables occupied and every one of them had problems with food or service.
    Wrong food orders going to the wrong tables.
    one person got their food 40 mins after everyone else at the table.
    Someone had to ask for the bill FOUR TIMES!
    They said " if you don't bring the bill in the next 5 mins we're leaving!" :-0
    Looks like a job for Gordon Ramsey to sort out.

Hops has been horrifically slow and badly run since way before the pandemic hit, management hasn't changed,they have a revolving door of floor staff with very little training done. It's sad because the food is actually really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The positive reviews on Tripadvisor must be from those who were able to leave without paying! 😂

A few folk here (myself included) have mentioned the Valley Inn, and their ongoing great service and food.

If you're interested, they are now open for breakfast 7 days a week (9.30 am Mon-Sat, 10am Sun). Booking is advised, but they will accommodate walk-ins if they can (Sundays can be iffy as they need to get organised for Sunday lunch).

Breakfast is tasty and plentiful - full brekky including Tea/Coffee/Toast for a tenner can't be bad!

Love the look of the valley inn Breakfast just wish they would do pancakes for the kids and we would be there. Had dinner in it on Tuesday,was fast,tasty and wasn't too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has anyone eaten at donegans since it reopened? Find the valley Inn great too

I passed it twice on my way to the fairways for my second jab today. The hording from what ever work was going on a month ago was gone and there were a few cars there but from what little I could see there was no obvious outdoor dining area. Made me wonder are they actually open? Haven't heard to it or from it really.

EDIT: Looking at their facebook page seems they've been open 2 weeks now with a similar set up to the Valley Inn out the back.

• Advertisement

My husband brought two of our kids in the day the reopened. Said the service was terrible. It wasn't busy when they arrived and the kids were happy enough. Then he noticed that a couple of tables who'd arrived after him were getting their food & they still hadn't had their drinks. He couldn't get any staff attention. He said it was just getting to the point of him up and leaving when they arrived with the food. No apologies for the wait etc. He won't be rushing back.

In comparison, we went to the Valley last Saturday for breakfast, seated straight away with menus. Service very efficient, orders taken & food brought out in no time. Plenty of tea and coffee and juice for the kids, everyone happy. Just as another poster said, pancakes would be a nice addition to the menu

Advertisement