Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of being a Garda

Options
12346»

Comments

Which flies in the face of the recommendations of the various enquiries over the last decade. It's actually mind-boggling what they've done to training.

A shambles. They simple are not ready to come out and tutors can't fill in that big a gap in knowledge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A shambles. They simple are not ready to come out and tutors can't fill in that big a gap in knowledge.

They'd be lucky if there is even a trained tutor on the unit. No courses have been run in a long time. It's been done on an ad-hoc basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Marty1476

Quick question for serving or retired members, do they pay for your train tickets to Templemore?

I know it sounds stupid but just trying to find and account for as many expenses as I can. A return ticket from Tipp to dublin is about €40 so a big chunk of your €184

• Registered Users Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Marty1476 wrote: »
    At the moment it’s three weeks online, one week in Templemore and 12 weeks in a station, after that it’s 16 weeks back to Tipp and fully attested with a BA in applied policing studies from UL

Certainly not how I want it done but beggars can’t be choosers

Am I missing something here? Are you saying that a BA is awarded after 20 weeks academic work plus 16 weeks work experience - something in the ballpark of a single academic year?

What QQI level is the BA please?

Am I missing something here? Are you saying that a BA is awarded after 20 weeks academic work plus 16 weeks work experience - something in the ballpark of a single academic year?

What QQI level is the BA please?

I’m not sure when the BA is awarded, I’ve been told by others that it’s after your probation ends but ultimately yes it’s 20 weeks college and 12 weeks in a station. The training program of phase 1,2,3 etc has been turned on it arse due to covid and to get bodies out on the front line.

I don’t know what the QQI is under the new structure

• Advertisement

The probation last for two years.
    Pretty sure they have to do a dissertation also, it was required over 20 years ago, so I'm sure it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Quick question for serving or retired members, do they pay for your train tickets to Templemore?

I know it sounds stupid but just trying to find and account for as many expenses as I can. A return ticket from Tipp to dublin is about €40 so a big chunk of your €184

You used to be able to buy them at a reduced rate in the canteen. Not sure if this is still the case.
    The Railway station is easily a mile walk from the college. Usually you can get a lift, and on occasions there was a shuttle bus operating, but it's worth knowing the local story there too.
    If the canteen ticket is no longer an option, early online booking of train tickets can cut the fare dramatically. Cork-Dublin is normally about €80, but if you can book 2 weeks in advance it'll only cost €26 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dohvolle wrote: »
    The Railway station is easily a mile walk from the college. Usually you can get a lift, and on occasions there was a shuttle bus operating, but it's worth knowing the local story there too.
    I'd be hoping that a 2km walk wouldn't be a huge problem for a Garda in training.

I'd be hoping that a 2km walk wouldn't be a huge problem for a Garda in training.

It probably would be for a few current guards 😜😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

You misunderstand.

You have to walk through tipperary ..... by night

It can be fun in winter. They get more snow there than you would expect. The Premier County isn't big on street lighting either, and the railway station is quite rural.
    By day the route to the station makes a fine flat first leg to the "Clune" 3 mile run.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

I’m not sure when the BA is awarded, I’ve been told by others that it’s after your probation ends but ultimately yes it’s 20 weeks college and 12 weeks in a station. The training program of phase 1,2,3 etc has been turned on it arse due to covid and to get bodies out on the front line.

I don’t know what the QQI is under the new structure

The BA program is with UL ands it’s three phases of 34 weeks each. It’s been modified during CoVid times, as it’s now a little longer. But it’s defo not shorter than 102 weeks to achieve the BA - Level 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

There’s no allowances for travel. It’s completely on you to make it work. However there could probably be someone in your intake who lives near you and may oblige with a lift, you could share fuel costs.

cluedo123 wrote: »
    The BA program is with UL ands it’s three phases of 34 weeks each. It’s been modified during CoVid times, as it’s now a little longer. But it’s defo not shorter than 102 weeks to achieve the BA - Level 7.

Is it fair to say that under the new structure of training the BA will be awarded after the proposed training and probation period of two years? On the job learning?

I’m genuinely asking a question that I don’t know the answer to

I’m in contact with people from 191,192 etc who were pushed through training during covid, Nobody seems to have actual answers on the BA despite intake 193 being attested after 3 weeks (I may have my intake numbers wrong please forgive me )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cruzex

Does anyone know will we be on the €184 a week for the 2 years while we’re on training? And anyone have any idea what Phase 2 and Phase 3 are?

It says we’ll be paid €184 a week during phase 1 of the training so was just wondering does that change after phase 1 then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's €184 while you are a trainee. Once you are attested you are on full pay. You are attested upon entry into Phase 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Post 2004 entrants have to work until 55 even if they have 30 years service. As of 1st April 2004 all new entrants must have 30 years service AND attained the age of 55....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Stretch1432

I agree coming from someone who was a guard . I didn't do long in the job . In my opinion you pick family life or work life ... I choose family..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Stretch1432

More like hardship than heartbeat . If it was like heartbeat it would be ok.

I served for two years including my time in Garda college. I have days where I miss the job . When I found out I was accepted to be a guard it was one of the happiest days of my life . My family was so proud. I even got an award on our passing out ceremony but when I got to the station after a few months I couldn't keep going it was just mental.

There was very few on our unit for an extremely busy station. Only about 10/12. Every night shift there would be a queue of people outside the public office.

The amount of paperwork was crazy . I had at least 50 investigation s. Frauds I hated the most .I had to go to court on my days off. I had no cpd course done and couldn't drive the car so on days off I had to come in to get statements and CCTV etc to progress my investigation s. And I could drive no problem in my previous job I was a qualified artic driver. Having to do cpd on a busy week was also a pain. Trying to get everything done was impossible. I found the night shifts very difficult. I have a young family and I felt like my relationship was in trouble if I stayed. I was constantly in a bad mood also

The guys on my units were some of the most loveliest people I ever met. My sgt a gent . To me it all seems like it is the area you get stationed because I know of guys who got more affluent areas and they wouldn't be half as busy I was. It was an extremely difficult decision to leave Ags and I had to get therapy after it because I was so disappointed it didn't work out for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Spook22

The advice I was given is make as certainly as humanly possible this is the job for you.

If it is one of several options you are weighing up, my sense would be perhaps its not the role for you long term.

In your position I would think long and hard about the other options and if you can happy with those, because the reality is, at a minimum they are almost certainly less hassle for more pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement