Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Nobody listens to Holohan anymore except the doom lovers.

It would be interesting to compare the posters who constantly talk about what holohan says to those who rarely ever mention him apart from when mentioned by others

saabsaab wrote: »
    I get your point but what of a vaccine dodging variant coming from abroad after we have fully vaxed and shut down? Variants will continue to evolve in countries where there are many cases and a poor vaccination programme. The end is hopefully a harmless very infectious variant?

yes imagine the original strain was like a horde of poisonous spiders running amok biting millions and killing many. Well the spiders proliferate each time but they develop smaller fangs until they've evolved to be everywhere , everyday but they have no fangs . For those that survive the venom, they are now quite immune and to what degree, time will tell. Variants get less severe each time apparently so who cares where they are and who they hang onto and to what degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

funnydoggy wrote: »
    8pm figure release yet? Not sure where to look

54 in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

jhegarty wrote: »
    54 in hospital

Is there any more news on the increase in hospital?

They should really tell us more information, how old are they, wether they've been vaccinated or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is there any more news on the increase in hospital?

They should really tell us more information, how old are they, wether they've been vaccinated or not.

And possibly derail the fear train? I don't think so, the CMO is dead set on getting himself some sort of statue. Having the in interest of the public at heart I don't so, more like his own interest first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And possibly derail the fear train? I don't think so, the CMO is dead set on getting himself some sort of statue. Having the in interest of the public at heart I don't so, more like his own interest first.

Yeah they’re private medical history should definitely be made public so that idiots can use it downplay the severity of the problem on internet message boards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hello… anybody out there? Or did we all die of covid in the last 8 days??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

397 cases .. 16 icu and 54 in hospital last posted numbers before site went down ( 8 days )

currently at 783 cases , 73 in hospital and 20 in icu.

A good bit of a jump but numbers seem to now firmly in the most part in the lower age cohort or those less likely to be fully vaccinated. Interesting to see how opening up restaurants and bars now affect the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Nphet were deeply concerned yesturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

On one hand, boards was a saviour throughout the last 17 months, a place to find varying views, broader information and gave me an ability to make up my own mind about coronavirus rather than the fear the msm dished out.

On the other hand, the outage the last 8 days has got me thinking, how different would the pandemic have been without social media. Once you don't engage with the radio or tv news, you don't get the 24/7 covid coverage. Personally speaking, having a week away from constantly checking the latest info, whether that be cases, vaccine numbers or how other countries are doing, has been good for my head space.

Saying that not denying I missed checked other threads that i frequent, especially when at a loose end, like waiting in a queue or trying to kill 5 minutes.

Hope to see many of the regular contributors back here as we continue our way out of this awful period. (Both covid and outage 😂 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yes but look at hospital and ICU. Very little movement for such a spike in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But Nolan did note that it is the start of their most pessimistic projections. It may be the case and may go that way or it may be an attempt to justify their claims. As we near 60% fully vaccinated and well over 70% with one shot that concern about hospitalisations should wane.

The truth is somewhere in between these preposterous extremes. The severity of the problem really has passed yet they have not shown themselves able to adjust how they deliver the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Plus now they are saying Delta symptoms include "sore throat, runny nose, and a headache".

I mean, is that really severe enough to warrant such "concern" and daily updates etc? Sure, some people could get it worse, but they could also be worse affected by a common cold, or flu, or a stomach bug.

It was different when it was a bad cough that went on for a week, where people had difficulty breathing. You don't hear those sorts of stories now with this variant.

A week or two back, some posters were trying to justify delaying indoor hospitality saying we just needed a few more weeks to get some more vaccinated before a return to normality. Just a few more weeks.

Now we are saying that indoor hospitality won't be back for unvaccinated until who knows when. Leo admitted that nightclubs won't be back open for "quite some time". If nightclubs can't open, we can forget about gigs or any sort of entertainment.

It sounds to me like 2021 is pretty much a write off for Ireland. A lot of people I know are now looking at England for a holiday.

NHPET still see a direct link between cases and hospitalisations and assume that they will lead to a big surge in hospital admissions. It would also be remiss of them not to warn, as it is their job. How seriously we should now take that, given the months of steady case numbers but declines in hospital cases is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not highlighting these symptoms because they're concerning, but because they have not been traditionally associated with covid. The classic symptoms have been cough, fever, loss of smell/taste, & fatigue. If you didn't have any of these you might not be offered a test, and many people would assume it's not covid. Now they're just flagging other symptoms that have become more common with Delta.

Not sure about the messaging on it. It's still hay fever season. Sore throat, runny nose, headache. Rampant at the moment.

It's all about proportion. ICU numbers are up 43% in two weeks. Hospital admissions are up 10% week-on-week, the number of people actually in hospital with covid is up 65% in two weeks.

The actual numbers are small now, but it doesn't count as "very little movement" by any measure. The UK had small hospital numbers while their cases started spiking, and now their hospital numbers are running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yeah but our vaccination and case profiles are different. The UK did have some of the older groups unvaccinated through hesitancy and most of our new cases are in the 18-34 age group, those at lowest risk of hospitalisation. With such low numbers too we should be looking at numbers not at percentages that have the potential to present alarming situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yes but my point is, these symptoms don't seem so severe. If I have a runny nose I'm not going to immediately think "I have Covid!", in the same way that if I had a sudden cough that won't stop. Perhaps the way they are messaging it is confusing, but we are certainly seeing less / zero stories in the media about people not being able to breathe, or being knocked for six for a week.

How many of the 700+ are actually sick?

It would be a mistake to make any assumptions that things would be different/better here unless the vax profiles are way off. What are the proportions of cases in young people here -v- the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You would expect all these numbers to increase , then eventually plateau and then start to drop . However , i don't think we have the appetite to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Nothing like being prepared, you never know a pandemic might happen at some point in the future.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Their hospital numbers are not running away. They also have 1200+ hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was just thinking this, it seems like Delta has swapped from a respiratory to a more flu like disease. Surely that means its less severe as it doesnt mess with your lungs as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭feelings

For comparison (again) - UK v Ireland - we're making great progress. I can see us passing the UK by end of month or early Aug.

UK | Ireland

Vaccinated (fully + partially): 67% | 57%

Fully Vaccinated: : 51% | 43%

Partially Vaccinated: 16% | 14%

We also can't automatically assume that we will be the same but NPHET still tracks the UK or actually England as a model. They have some similar numbers in age groups but have also had some very large potential seeding events in the last few weeks and there is a question of that second dose gap strategy.

No, we don't. Because it's a big gamble. On the watching threads, I've always been a big pusher of the fact that infections have to plateau one way or another. Infections are a pyramid scheme, and eventually you run out of suckers. But the number of suckers is determined by the restrictions that are in place. The UK is in a bad place, and is adding more suckers to the pyramid on Monday.

So we have no actual idea where the plateau will be. Will it be half the last peak? Twice the last peak? Nobody knows.

At current rates, the UK will have about 18,000 people in hospital by mid-August. That's about half the last peak. As I say above, nobody knows where the peak is this time because they'll have exposed their entire population to it. So by mid-September, the UK hospital system could be on the verge of collapse, or hospital numbers could be solidly dropping.

It is that unknown and that big a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

What private medical history? It is statistics.

Besides, legislation was passed last night to give 'private medical history' to a any auld 16 year old door checker to get into a pub or restaurant.

So that ship has already sailed.

Advertisement