Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

not sure what they see in Ferguson

They probably see what a lot of other people saw when they watched the last couple of MI films or Doctor Sleep. An actor that they really liked!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Warner Bros PR are insisting it’ll be day and date on HBO Max btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

MJohnston wrote: »
    They probably see what a lot of other people saw when they watched the last couple of MI films or Doctor Sleep. An actor that they really liked!
    I don't think her character has an action beat in the book, but what you learn about the Bene Gesserit in the sequels* suggests she could absolutely have one in the film, and there are very few actresses with that kind of action CV in her calibre in Hollywood.

*One of the focusses of the group is maximising conscious control of the body which makes them pretty formidable when cornered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have complete faith in Villeneuve. My main concern is that this is an unqualified financial success so that they can make the second half as planned.

Kong vs Godzilla has shown that there is still a future for cinema.
    It has grossed more than the previous film in the franchise, albeit a large percentage of the box office was in China.
    $427m worldwide so far.

Dune should do well enough to greenlight a 2nd film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't be so confident: I have a great respect and love for Creature Features, but they're thoroughly lowest common denominator entertainment. Big, loud superficial thrills that offer nothing but pure escapism (yeah Godzilla '54 and Shin Godzilla had deeper meanings but fundamentally they're trashy fun)

Dune - if adapted faithfully - is a relatively slow, cerebral political and ideological thriller that could alienate those just wanting some "turn your brain off" entertainment that's always an easier sell than something weighty like Frank Herbert's tome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I have complete faith in Villeneuve. My main concern is that this is an unqualified financial success so that they can make the second half as planned.

Yep. Blade runner took an absolute pasting and that film was a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Did 'Blade Runner 2049' take a pasting? I distinctly recall a very positive attitude toward it on average. Better than Ridley Scott's film. It didn't do stellar box office, sure, but frankly I never thought that it would. Some people seem to think that the original 'Blade Runner' is a massively beloved movie. But it is only amongst a very loyal, but relatively small, fanbase. In 1981, it got very mixed reviews and I'd wager that most average movies watchers thought and still think that it was/is a thoroughly boring slog and are completely in the dark as to it's popularity within a certain cohort and there was no reason to believe that 'Blade Runner 2049' was going to be any kind of draw for general moviegoers.

The thing is, 'Dune' is in the same boat. There is an extremely loyal fanbase, but I'd say that most average moviegoers won't have read the book or will be that familiar with the story and it could end up only doing so-so at the box office, like 'Blade Runner 2049'. Unfortunately that will lead to the planned 2nd part getting shelved indefinitely and we'll end up with a 'The Golden Compass' or 'Chronicles of Narnia' situation, where the studio just won't risk the money and everything is left unfinished.

A lot of folk might go into 'Dune' thinking it's 'Star Wars' and come away disappointed, because Herbert's story isn't anything like that. 'Dune' could start out well and then have one of those massive 2nd week drop off's that will kill it stone dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Despite earlier reports, it seems they are still doing a hybrid/same day (theatres and HBO Max) release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    Did 'Blade Runner 2049' take a pasting? I distinctly recall a very positive attitude toward it on average. Better than Ridley Scott's film. It didn't do stellar box office, sure, but frankly I never thought that it would. Some people seem to think that the original 'Blade Runner' is a massively beloved movie. But it is only amongst a very loyal, but relatively small, fanbase. In 1981, it got very mixed reviews and I'd wager that most average movies watchers thought and still think that it was/is a thoroughly boring slog and are completely in the dark as to it's popularity within a certain cohort and there was no reason to believe that 'Blade Runner 2049' was going to be any kind of draw for general moviegoers.

The thing is, 'Dune' is in the same boat. There is an extremely loyal fanbase, but I'd say that most average moviegoers won't have read the book or will be that familiar with the story and it could end up only doing so-so at the box office, like 'Blade Runner 2049'. Unfortunately that will lead to the planned 2nd part getting shelved indefinitely and we'll end up with a 'The Golden Compass' or 'Chronicles of Narnia' situation, where the studio just won't risk the money and everything is left unfinished.

A lot of folk might go into 'Dune' thinking it's 'Star Wars' and come away disappointed, because Herbert's story isn't anything like that. 'Dune' could start out well and then have one of those massive 2nd week drop off's that will kill it stone dead.

BR2049 took about 250m from a near 200m budget. In today’s market I’d put that down as a pasting :D

Totally undeserving though, it’s a masterpiece. Anyhews, for me Dune is gonna be an event movie. I have faith in the director and the source material, but I just hope people take to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

OK, by "pasting" I thought you meant critically.

Budget wise, no it didn't do what the studio wanted for sure. Personally, though, I couldn't care less about that and TBH, it probably means no more sequels, which to me is a good thing regarding Blade Runner. The two films are perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned and compliment each other very well.

Plus, there really isn't anywhere else to go with the story anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

so it looks like its going to premiere at cannes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As excited as I am for this, I don't find 100% creative control quite the enticement as I used to: Zack Synder and Christopher Nolan being recent cautionary tales when they're basically given blank cheques :D

David Lynch's version is getting a 4k Blu-ray release, to arrive August. Will also come with a host of extras - though looks like Lynch himself has had no hand in this or even the Extras. Not sure what cut we're getting either, presumably just the theatrical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^

I will admit that I have never read the book or books or even seen the original film properly. I have seen bits of it but hopefully it is on somewhere before the new version is released in the Cinemas because I really want to go see this but I will also admit I was very dissapointed with Blade Runner 2049. I thought it had a lot of noise in it but not much going on. I am not the only one my elder brother who is much smarter than me thought the same. I am happy to support any Sci-Fi movie and give it a chance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have been holding off on a re-read until we had a more solid release date

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ngunners

peteeeed wrote: »

Incendies is a great film for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Boo. Any news as to the why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ngunners wrote: »
    Incendies is a great film for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
    I saw it and absolutely hated it, partly due to the totally predictable "twist". Hated the direction, with its over-reliance on one kind of shot: extreme close-up on a person's face while stuff happens in the out-of-focus background or out-of-frame. By the time DV made Blade Runner 2049, he had expanded his cinematic vocabulary by a few more shots. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

peteeeed wrote: »

Dammit, I read that as the 22nd of October and thought it was earlier originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ngunners

bnt wrote: »
    I saw it and absolutely hated it, partly due to the totally predictable "twist". Hated the direction, with its over-reliance on one kind of shot: extreme close-up on a person's face while stuff happens in the out-of-focus background or out-of-frame. By the time DV made Blade Runner 2049, he had expanded his cinematic vocabulary by a few more shots. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I saw it in cinemas and remember being engrossed and not seeing the ´twist’ coming.

Dune has officially been Rated PG-13 for “sequences of strong violence, disturbing images and suggestive material”.

run time 2hr 35 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just hook it up to my veins.

(This may be mostly a test post in the new boards system.)

The weird ring kinda feels Giger'esque, or maybe that's just me. Wonder will they steer the aesthetic again into something so definitively "evil" for the Harkonnen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement

imax theatres in the states are showing the first 10 mins of the movie and the full trailer this thurs & friday

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dune-imax-event-first-footage-full-trailer-reveal

Advertisement