Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭eltonyio

By the main restaurant, do you mean the self service, or the sit down one?

The self-service one only unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know if Irish Ferries are accepting completed HSE vaccination cards as proof of vaccination. Or would we be safer getting antigen tests?

Stena were on Saturday according to friends of our on the Horizon, but we got a text from them on the morning that it had to be PCR, not antigen.
    Don't know what IF require.

The guards were in Rosslare but parked up when we got there 1 hour before sailing. We were the last vehicle to arrive, nearly all vans apart from the trucks. Saw 2 other cars. Maybe they had been asking questions before we got there.

Stena check in guy apologetically asked for a PCR test from the 12yo, but we had all PCRed so no probs there.

Pro-Covid travel tip.
    If your child faints when the boat is docking, Stena will call an ambulance to bring him to Cherbourg hospital. By the time the pompeurs arrive and get him in the ambulance, the French police/customs will be long gone.

Even pro-er tip.
    Unless you want to lose 4 and half hours at the start of your trip, don't let your child faint on the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

josip wrote: »
    Pro-Covid travel tip.
    If your child faints when the boat is docking, Stena will call an ambulance to bring him to Cherbourg hospital. By the time the pompeurs arrive and get him in the ambulance, the French police/customs will be long gone.

Even pro-er tip.
    Unless you want to lose 4 and half hours at the start of your trip, don't let your child faint on the ferry.

Always nice to end my evening with a laugh, thanks!!

Hope your kiddie is enjoying the break

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Great to see the updates here from the real world, and hats off to all who have made the journey so far, enjoy your time away from the constant doom and gloom here.

Hoping to venture over in early August also, with vaccinated adults, and three kids under 11, so from my reading of the French Foreign Ministry advice, I will only need a test for the 8 year old when returning to Ireland. I will be interested to hear from anyone making the return journey whether any of the Ferry companies in Roscoff/Cherbourg are requiring a PCR for kids under 11 to board the return ferry, or will they allow an antigen test to board? Or if they even ask for proof of kids test. I read somewhere else that kids under 11 will be considered to have the same vaccination status as the parents?

Keep the updates coming!

kampik wrote: »
    We have arrived in France. Phew.
    At Rosslare passport check we were asked to show covid test(we had PCR as Stena wanted) and asked if we have the sworn declarations. I asked if antigen would be ok as well and reply was that she would have to check:D
    Ferry trip was relaxed, not busy, common sense used for wearing the masks.
    At passport check, in Cherbourgh, we just showed our passports, they didn't want anything else to see.

I was worried too about the 72 hours as Stena said on the website, 72 before departure, but then a text came yesterday from them saying, 72 before arrival to France.
    My 72 hours expired 3 hours before arrival.

Can I ask you have young kids, and were they required to wear masks on board the ferry?

• Advertisement

No children wearing masks on Irish ferries yesterday. Common sense approach throughout. Relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

eltonyio wrote: »
    No children wearing masks on Irish ferries yesterday. Common sense approach throughout. Relaxed.

Children have not had to wear masks in any location in Ireland since this covid thing started

Children have not had to wear masks in any location in Ireland since this covid thing started

I know that, I haven't put one near any of my kids since this whole thing began, but Brittany Ferries had something on their website about French law requiring all passengers to wear masks on board french vessels etc.

Common sense went out the window 16 months ago in this country, was just curious to ask! Ill be applying common sense myself!

eltonyio wrote: »

Good to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I thought kids aged 13-17 inclusive had the same rules as Adults for Masks in Ireland and if in Secondary School then 12 while at school.
    In France, I think it is 11 for Masks.

France recently lifted the requirement for Masks outdoors.

Open to correction on the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Do adults have to wear masks even outside on deck?

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Do adults have to wear masks even outside on deck?

Irish ferries were very common sense about masks yesterday. Most staff behind screens and not wearing them. Occasional announcements to wear them when moving around but nobody wearing them at the tables. No masks on younger children, didn't notice on older ones. No masks outside. Remember every adult on the boat has been tested, recovered or vaccinated so it's relatively relaxed as a result. Plenty of hand sanitisers and lots of cleaning.

Maud Gonne, Lady Gregory, cinema and kids areas were closed. Bar, quiet lounge, club, hauliers lounge and self service food all opened.

Passport control in Cherbourg asked for passports only. No questions about locator form or covid tests at all.

Eurocamp in Normandy now, fully opened, very busy. Just need the sun to come out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

burly wrote: »
    Can I ask you have young kids, and were they required to wear masks on board the ferry?

As the others already relied, no requirement for the small ones to have masks.
    Last year I made her to wear one just to teach her discipline but this year I left her off.
    4 days on in Normandy, weather is mostly kind to us but very similar to Ireland :D I couldn't believe that I got sunburned in between the showers(rolling eyes).
    We are in first camp site today, only two cabins and two glamping tents occupied.
    Spiders running out from board games boxes so I guess they weren't used this year yet.

Thoughts on the need in France to either be fully vaccinated or have negative Tests for Aged 12+ to access restaurants (incl outdoors), shopping centres etc ?

We have cancelled our trip this year but friends with teens due to go in August. I think that they will cancel now.

Post edited by SusanC10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

SusanC10 i cant quote your question for some reason.

You can visit France without a vaccination, using PCR tests to prove you are COVID free.

However, you wont be able to access restaurants. shopping malls.

You can access things like the Zoo without the "covid pass".

Personally I would go for the vaccination before travelling to france.

Yes, the Parents are fully vaccinated. The Teens aged 13 & 15 have no option to get a Vaccine yet in Ireland.

Our kids are similar age - 12 & 15. We have cancelled our own holiday but our friends moved theirs to August.

That is the same position as us. We are travelling with 3 kids under 11. Both adults are vaccinated. In france the children can travel and access anything under their parents vaccination cert. There is nothing to stop you going. you dont even need PCRs to access france.

You will need a PCR for over 7s reentering Ireland. The PCRs are provided for 49E in almost every french town and village. The Campsite will provide details for you.

Am a bit confused now tbh.

I had read that children Aged 12 and over needed a negative Antigen Test in the previous 48 hours to access things like Restaurants (indoors and outdoors), shopping centres, cinemas, theme parks etc. Even if their Parents were vaccinated. Is that not the case ?

Also, I read that Ireland are switching to Age 12+ for PCR for entry from July 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I read this awhile ago...

I haven't looked into it in any great detail to be honest though. I kind of assumed we might be quite restricted in what we can do. Where did you read that they needed antigen testing? Maybe I should try and pick up some tests...

• Advertisement

Are there exemptions?

Yes. Just hours after Macron announced the plan the government is already starting to backtrack. On Tuesday, the government announced that there would be a certain amount of “tolerance” where children and some professions are concerned. Minors will not have to present a COVID green pass to get into restaurants and other venues next month.

Yes, I am hoping all our kids wont require a PCR on return to Ireland (after 19th July) but you cant trust this government so we have back up plan just in case!

I can't Like/Thank your Post Deeman (this new Site is taking a bit of getting used to!) but Thanks for that !

Had read Macron's initial announcement only this week

All the major governments appear to be scaring their own population into getting the vaccine. Id imagine all these "Covid Pass" rules will disappear when challenged in the courts, in the interim, millions more will be vaccinated.

My advice would be to book your holiday and go and enjoy yourself!

It will be 2022 for us now. Decision taken months ago.

But our friends may still go if these restrictions don't apply to their Teens.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

This is miserable. Due to travel soon and not fully vaccinated (due to age not choice). Even I can get dose 2 before I go I assume the waiting period means it’s no good. I’d also be getting my DCC in the post as I was with the GP so I wouldn’t have it before I go. No issues with indoor dining etc but if I can’t even do outdoor dining and the pool it’s pointless. Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

maybe see about changing to italy.

We were there last year in 2 sites, and again last month, and again next month, and the only difference this year is that you need the test or vaccine to get into the country but once there then its relatively chilled. Most dining is outdoors anyhow with lots of canopies or gigantic umbrellas, so even if they restricted indoors then it would make little difference.

The sites we went to had massive pools, and one a gigantic beach, so we were always able to go for a dip with no bother.

If flying, then you're probably not flexible and stuck with France, but if driving then its a trek from the ferry to Italy but doable. We see plenty of English reg cars and its much of a muchness of a drive from Calais to nothern italy as from Cherbourg (12.5hours v 13.5) , not to mention Dutch, Danish or even Swedish reg cars who would have further to drive than anyone coming from Ireland (/Cherbourg).

Anymore recent experiences of travelling to France on Irish Ferries and through the French Border Control?

Did you have PCRs, Vaccine Cert etc.?

What is it like in France at the minute in terms of accessing restaurants and pubs?

Are the campsites busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Traveled with Stena from Roslare on 3rd

Check in guy asked for PCRs from all, including 11 year old (apologetically). We weren't long enough after 2nd vaccine to be considered vaccinated.

It was quiet on the boat, but the Horizon is more of a trucker boat than family. People made a token effort to have a mask somewhere around their face. Crew were very diligent with wearing.

We got off the boat after everyone else and by the time we left the port, there were no customs/police, so can't say if they were there or not.

Mask wearing in French towns seems to be more common that Ireland. People frequently keep them (partially) on when out in public, perhaps when going between public transport to work to shops etc.

• Advertisement

The campsites are busy, but as far as I could see we were the only Irish staying in the one we were at in Normandy. Mostly French, Belgian and Germans.

Travelled on 5th July, arrived 6th. We needed antigen tests only, which were checked in Ireland by Irish Ferries but not at all in France.

Restaurants and pubs all open for indoor drinking/ dining, although rules are changing soon for accessing shops and restaurants (you'll need a dcc).

Advertisement