Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2021-2022

• 22-06-2021 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Kicks off weekend of October 2nd 2021
    Five All-Ireland League divisions retained
    18-game regular season for all 50 teams based on majority of clubs’ preference
    Promotion/relegation reinstated
    COVID-19 impact contingencies in place

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Kicks off weekend of October 2nd 2021
    Five All-Ireland League divisions retained
    18-game regular season for all 50 teams based on majority of clubs’ preference
    Promotion/relegation reinstated
    COVID-19 impact contingencies in place

Great news. There always seemed to be a sense of cautiousness about the last campaign as if they knew it was going to go tits up.

Great to see everything is back to relative normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Faugheen wrote: »
    Great news. There always seemed to be a sense of cautiousness about the last campaign as if they knew it was going to go tits up.

Great to see everything is back to relative normality.

The IRFU got a lot of criticism at time of announcing no promotion/relegation and introducing the provincial community series but they got it fairly spot on in hindsight.

Hopefully we see lot more people going to club games now unlikely but have to live in hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Fantastic news, tag rugby back up and running in Terenure, something to get excited about.

Be great to get even more on Boards involved in the club games and going and contributing to this.

Any transfer rumours!!!

Fantastic news, tag rugby back up and running in Terenure, something to get excited about.

Be great to get even more on Boards involved in the club games and going and contributing to this.

Any transfer rumours!!!

Considering no rugby in a full year transfers could be a mess....
    Yeah would be great if more on boards, and rugby fans in general, got involved more supporting the club game

Considering no rugby in a full year transfers could be a mess....
    Yeah would be great if more on boards, and rugby fans in general, got involved more supporting the club game

Working from home a factor too, I know two lads in with us, who have moved home home, and gone back to their local club as not really in Dublin any more

Would think people be dying to go see some live games

• Advertisement

Working from home a factor too, I know two lads in with us, who have moved home home, and gone back to their local club as not really in Dublin any more

Would think people be dying to go see some live games

This is where IRFU come in. They should be running regular workshops with club committee members/interested parties to assist them with their PR, websites, social media etc to help them promote the clubs better.

Clubs need to turn these games into better 'experiences' and IRFU can assist with that but needs to be club led.

Working from home could be a big factor. Hadnt thought of that. Some movement back to clubs outside Dublin wouldnt be a bad thing.

This is where IRFU come in. They should be running regular workshops with club committee members/interested parties to assist them with their PR, websites, social media etc to help them promote the clubs better.

Clubs need to turn these games into better 'experiences' and IRFU can assist with that but needs to be club led.

Working from home could be a big factor. Hadnt thought of that. Some movement back to clubs outside Dublin wouldnt be a bad thing.

I cant speak for other teams, I feel Terenure do as good as anyone at growing the game, the Director of Rugby, Moggy, v involved in trying to pull in new people and so on. But I take your point, it's no good only one or two.

Yeah on the WFH, certainly two lads are gone back home and playing there.

I cant speak for other teams, I feel Terenure do as good as anyone at growing the game, the Director of Rugby, Moggy, v involved in trying to pull in new people and so on. But I take your point, it's no good only one or two.

Yeah on the WFH, certainly two lads are gone back home and playing there.

Terenure are very good but theyve a very different feel to many city clubs IMO.
    so many from the school are in the club and ties with that so very different to a lot of other dublin clubs at least. would like to see more age grade games/teams from the club but thats for another thread....
    Tarf are very good.
    But a lot of clubs could be doing so much better.

Its basic things. Some clubs are terrible for providing social media updates of games and thats simply scores. others are excellent. Ballina in Mayo have one of the best club websites in UK/Ireland. They update it and social media with everything going on in the club. match reports for all teams in the club and many of them are done day of game. They also cover what club members do elsewhere etc. Not all clubs need to do that but it shows it can be done

Terenure are very good but theyve a very different feel to many city clubs IMO.
    so many from the school are in the club and ties with that so very different to a lot of other dublin clubs at least. would like to see more age grade games/teams from the club but thats for another thread....
    Tarf are very good.
    But a lot of clubs could be doing so much better.

Its basic things. Some clubs are terrible for providing social media updates of games and thats simply scores. others are excellent. Ballina in Mayo have one of the best club websites in UK/Ireland. They update it and social media with everything going on in the club. match reports for all teams in the club and many of them are done day of game. They also cover what club members do elsewhere etc. Not all clubs need to do that but it shows it can be done

I hear what you're saying, but also I sort of don't care what other teams do.

More age grade teams, surely thats our business and harder when connected to the school and all that goes on there and the release of players. But who's club is perfect? We are still very successful.

The minis section is booming and we have strong numbers at 20s and have 5 adult teams, consistently.

I hear what you're saying, but also I sort of don't care what other teams do.

More age grade teams, surely thats our business and harder when connected to the school and all that goes on there and the release of players. But who's club is perfect? We are still very successful.

The minis section is booming and we have strong numbers at 20s and have 5 adult teams, consistently.

In some ways you should as if more clubs are doing better it helps all clubs be better or will strive to be better
    More age grade is ye're business and having the connection to the school can in some ways make things harder but also can be big assistance if school/club work together well.

Having a strong 20s set up and 5 adult teams consistently is huge and far better than most

• Advertisement

In some ways you should as if more clubs are doing better it helps all clubs be better or will strive to be better
    More age grade is ye're business and having the connection to the school can in some ways make things harder but also can be big assistance if school/club work together well.

Having a strong 20s set up and 5 adult teams consistently is huge and far better than most

I take the point, but then selfishly I want us to win an AIL, and a strong league good but don't want the better ones better again.

On the Youth Teams, its long been held, the connection is so strong with the school, and as long as they are playing and training in there, sure it would be nice, but they are training in school, after school with their friends, I know I did, hard and wrong to be like, now OK come training tonight in Lakelands too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

You have a drop off at Youths level - don't think you're fielding at U15s/16s. Is that solely down to those lads playing with the school?

madds wrote: »
    You have a drop off at Youths level - don't think you're fielding at U15s/16s. Is that solely down to those lads playing with the school?

Pretty much - I would say 60/65% of that age group are panelled in the school, so that kills those teams at JCT. We try to field at u17s for transition year and then others don't bother as don't want to without their mates. I played JCT so I know how important it is, and hard to expalin that the club needs the players but some lads play no rugby (or worthwhile rugby) in a whole season

There would even be a handful in Marys (vomit!!!)

But you cant run a team with only 7 or 8 lads training.

So fixtures released yesterday

2A only has 16 rounds listed which is strange. no friday night games listed for now but that will obviously change throughout the season.

Assume it is just an error - seems to be missing two rounds at end of October compared to the other leagues.

UCD home and Clontarf away for us at the start.

Hopefully the students are slow to get going and we can get off to a good start. As always, no easy games in 1A

Oh i know. i contacted them on twitter etc so can be updated but no real issue....

Student sides can often be slow starters but with no rugby in so long. this season could go anyway.

Really hope IRFU and clubs can get posts about transfers, even club updates with no rugby in so long to help promote the league.

I don't get the secrecy on transfers and so on, it is not like teams don't find out anyway (we are as bad as any side in saying nothing) and it just generates some chat and buzz.

Not sure I have ever asked, but guessing from your user name, you are a Nenagh fan? Expectations for the year? Who do you have up first?

I dont either. The clubs have to send in the info to IRFU to ratify the moves and IRFU/provinces used to years ago release the transfers

Yeah Nenagh fan but based elsewhere for work

Hard to know with Nenagh. Last 2 fully completed seasons they were just above relegation to 2B and then 2 seasons before that were in playoffs to 1B. Will likely be somewhere in between i think.

Connacht league fixtures are up and winner will qualify for bateman cup semi final and connacht senior cup final with remaining 4 sides playing off to determine the other finalist

Leinster league and cup draws made. 12 teams competing in the senior cup. missing the university sides and few others but fantastic to see that number competing. been while since its been that high

Nothing about Munster or Ulster competitions yet

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

Nure had a couple of signings last year before things got going, Andrew Keating (Garryowen), Cathal Marsh (USA) and Alex Thompson (UK) which were some good signings. Lansdowne have signed Paeder Timmins but have lost some good front row like McElroy to Bristol and Greg McGrath to Connacht.

• Advertisement

Panda back in Dublin. Garryowen will really miss him.

Wasnt Alex Thompson with Nure before?? Good moves alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Purple Fox

He was, he played when Nure got to the semi final and Ulster signed him.

Panda is a great player, will do loads for Nures scrum

Metro Cup fixtures up now too, and pre season friendlies starting. All that bit closer to back seeing games.

iGood to see some games back being played. Interesting to start season off with metro cup for senior 2nds

Connacht senior league starts this weekend as well.

Good to see all round. Who would be favourite for Connacht league?

Our J1s are playing Wanderers, we should be beating them to be honest.

Hard to know. Think Buccs and Corinthians will do well but this season considering how long its been since regular games could throw all kinds of results up.

I've heard Navan are in all sorts of trouble, less than 15 at training etc. Be a shame to see them really struggle, in reality I imagine being relegated from 1B might have suited them better on a rebuild.

Jason Harris-Wright is coaching out there.

Probably would have suited them better. they had such momentum getting all the back to back promotions and then having finished bottom in 1B with the 19/20 season they really would have been better off as you say rebuilding back in 2A.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭RuPi

Their J1’s and 20’s are due to play this weekend v Boyne so hopefully things aren’t too bad numbers wise.

I imagine The AIL will revert to one up one down regarding promotion, I can’t see anyway that Covid won’t impact 1 game across the season, so even if things don’t go as well as hoped for sides they will still have a shot of staying up in a two legged playoff with ninth.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately neither of those games didnt go ahead

Good to see few games going ahead tho. Trinity playing Leinster 19s and 20s today or "gods chosen people" if going by their twitter account ...

Advertisement