Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Yea that was my thinking, you shouldn't be getting hit for VAT twice. Or is there no VAT charged on 2nd cars in the UK and its just charged when new.
    2nd hand private sales have no vat added as it was added when new.

The only way to avoid double vat is buying within the EU.

If you are not vat registered it is required to pay vat in UK/US/Other non EU and then pay vat again on entry

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭machu

If you can get a dealer to buy a vat qualifying car at an auction can you import the car here free of Uk vat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

machu wrote: »
    If you can get a dealer to buy a vat qualifying car at an auction can you import the car here free of Uk vat ?
    I think the auction house will be charging VAT. The Dealer would then normally apply VAT to "the Margin" . Not charging it would impact his cash flow so he'd be keen on you paying it and (if it's even possible) re-claiming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The dealer can, but the will have to pay Irish VAT on it when the sell it.

Isambard wrote: »
    I think the auction house will be charging VAT. The Dealer would then normally apply VAT to "the Margin" . Not charging it would impact his cash flow so he'd be keen on you paying it and (if it's even possible) re-claiming it.

The auction houses don't charge VAT on VAT qualifying cars for VAT registered Irish dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

mgn wrote: »
    The auction houses don't charge VAT on VAT qualifying cars for VAT registered Irish dealers.

Yeah, but they get loaded on a transporter for export. As soon as a vehicle sits its wheels on a GB highway, and someone drives it back, it has become a GB sale, including GB VAT, and sorting out any issues around VAT etc from an export point of view fall down to the person who drives/ferries it back..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

so post brexit is importing from GB dearer with VAT?

and is NI still as before with EU rules?

Sorry, I appreciate this may have been covered if I scroll back, but considering option of NI purchase currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭User1998

Xander10 wrote: »

Sorry, I appreciate this may have been covered if I scroll back, but considering option of NI purchase currently.

Everything is more expensive now due to higher WLTP VRT and Nox. Importing from NI is more expensive than last year and importing from mainland UK is pretty much over for now

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, but they get loaded on a transporter for export. As soon as a vehicle sits its wheels on a GB highway, and someone drives it back, it has become a GB sale, including GB VAT, and sorting out any issues around VAT etc from an export point of view fall down to the person who drives/ferries it back..

What's that got to do with paying VAT, If a dealer drives it back its no difference than a car transporter provided the have declared it to customs before the leave the UK.

Its cheaper to buy a car here now than export it because you have 23% VAT and 10% customs if not UK build.

As for NI the have jacked up the prices on all their NI regs because the know it will attract ROI buyers.

• Advertisement

NI would be the same for cars originally first reg'd in NI and cars imported there from GB in 2020 or before.

What's that got to do with paying VAT, If a dealer drives it back its no difference than a car transporter provided the have declared it to customs before the leave the UK.

A few years back I got a Uk car dealer to purchase a car from Bca car auctions which I had picked out and paid him a commission for his help. I am now thinking of contacting him again about buying me a vat qualifying car at an auction would I be able once non necessary travel restrictions are lifted be able to just fly over and drive it back or should I have some form of custom clearance Cert to show at the port ?

A few years back I got a Uk car dealer to purchase a car from Bca car auctions which I had picked out and paid him a commission for his help. I am now thinking of contacting him again about buying me a vat qualifying car at an auction would I be able once non necessary travel restrictions are lifted be able to just fly over and drive it back or should I have some form of custom clearance Cert to show at the port ?

It will have to be declared to customs before you bring it back, if its a one off you might be better of getting a custom broker to do it for you.

It will have to be declared to customs before you bring it back, if its a one off you might be better of getting a custom broker to do it for you.

Is it the English or Irish customs it would have to be declared to before bringing it back ?

Is it the English or Irish customs it would have to be declared to before bringing it back ?

Irish, you do it online in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mother of God this new version of board's is a disaster, but hopefully someone will manage to read this post of mine. Anyways so I want to buy a jaguar xe, they are made in the uk, so for me, an individual without a company (aka irish vat number), can I buy one from the uk (mainland uk, not NI), and import it to Ireland without having to pay the extra VAT and 10% custom's?

you'll have to pay VAT.(and VRT) British built so no Import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Only way I'd avoid the vat is with an Irish vat number, then the seller would knock off the vat under the standard export way when your making any uk purchase with an Irish Vat number so?

that supposes you are buying from a Dealer rather than privately and that the Dealer is wiling to sell without VAT, some won't as it impacts their cash flow as they may have to claim back VAT already accounted for. Either way, you'll have to pay Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Luckylow10

Thought I’d update the thread, on my post back in March.

over a month ago revenue called me and confirmed that my vehicle will be taxed on old nedc tax bands (even tho I have provided proof of the official WLTP rate) and VRT will be applied on their estimated WLTP rate. This makes no sense but they said thats the way it is.

they also advised I was charged the max Nox and if I could get the certificate of conformity they would recalculate and refund. . So I got this from Volvo, and sent it and now they are still being dofficult and asking for proofs of OMSP?

Anyhow I’ve issued a complaint online about the length of time This is taking but that keeps getting closed out. They seem to be able to change the vrt rules and policies as they see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked several times before but if anyone can get a quick definitive answer I'd be grateful. Looking at getting a 2nd hand car (2016/2017, petrol, low CO2, budget about 14k- Skoda Octavia possibly). Would this be any cheaper from NI or the UK or not anymore since Brexit and recent VAT/import changes?

Thanks,

Pa.

If you can get a NI reg or a car that was imported to NI before January you wont have to pay customs or VAT then you might save a few pound, but not a lot as the have jacked up the prices on all NI regs because the know the will attract ROI customers, forget about the UK now, them days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Hi,

For the life of me I can't find the Japanese import thread. This boards 'upgrade' is dreadful.

My question is ; Do I need a Certificate of Conformity (COC) for VRT registration? The car in question is a Toyota Aqua, and just wondering how the VRT inspector/or me is supposed to know the Co2 or the Nox as these figures don't appear on anything including the Certificate of Export.

I have the Certificate of Export and Bill of lading to state when it entered the state.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think I read here that there is another Japanese document that has that info on it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

Not your ornery onager

You need to provide evidence of emmisions because they are not present on the export certificate. You can get a CoC, but its easier and cheaper to provide evidence of the emissions from the Land Transport Authority Japan.

PM me and I’l give you what you need

And just as a side note, the Bill of Lading isn’t proof of when it entered the state. You give the BOL to your customs broker and in return they give you a customs slip when the car has cleared customs. That is your proof of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭kincaid

Hi so it's still €200 for importing a uk van into ireland but if its uk mainland theres vet and vat to pay but no nox to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Looking at a UK reg car, brought into NI in 2021, so subject to whatever the 2021 rules are. I know I have to pay VRT and NOX, no issue with that, but what else am I subject to?

Do I pay VAT both ends, ie the 21% UK vat and the 23% irish Vat and if so can you claim back the uk vat and effectively pay the extra 2%?

I believe i then must pay 10% tax as well?

I rang the vrt office today and I might as well have asked my 9 yr old, the couldnt even clarify exact vrt rates and were not aware of the new bands system.

Any help much appreciated or pointed to whatever dept could clear this up once and for all.

You need to pay 10% customs and 23% vat on the price of the car and you also need to pay VRT. There is a small chance that the car is VAT qualifying and the dealer will sell it to you without the 20% UK VAT but this is highly unlikely. I’d just forget about it. Importing from the UK is dead

Yeah importing from mainland uk looks dead alright, still possible from ni reg cars, nearly same price as down here with vrt and nix, some dearer, but most all better spec, spec in south is so poor compared to the north.

This is going to get messy, there is going to be a shortage of 2nd hand cars soon, with 20%+ cars coming from UK prior to Brexit and unlike other products coming from eu left hand drives not a realistic option

• Advertisement

On the same subject....I did a VRT check for a car on the ROS website https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

The car I did it for has Co2 of 114 g/km and NOx Emissions of 0.033 g/km, which I believe according to the new 2021 VRT bands https://www.vrt.ie/faq/compare-2020-vrt-rates-2021-vrt-rates/ means the car should be rated in Band 9 at 14.25% yet everytime I carry out the estimate on the Ros site it puts the car in for 21% VRT, they do get the Nox correct.

I rang them and again I might as well have asked my 9 yr old. Guy was pleasant, but no real assistance, said i could appeal it. I explained I would rather be sure first rather than relying on an appeal later and being dependant on someone in the vrt office and what mood they are in on the day.

If I do the check on https://www.motorcheck.ie/vrt-calculator/ the vrt comes out at what I think is correct rate, with the nox incorrect......

Advertisement