Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    If we have it as easy as we did in Newry, shame on Derry.

I hope they give us a game, for our sakes.

They have spent the last 2 years in Divisions 3. Who have they beaten? Don't mention the Ulster Champions. They are playing in Division 4 next year.

For all the damage done by other Ulster teams in our Division 1 games this year, we were unbeaten in the league.

If Derry are flying, we are hovering at a higher altitude.

Yah fair enough. I'm not discrediting our lads. Just a bit nervous that Derry got 5 goals v Fermanagh. That's a flag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Our manager has previous with Derry albeit at Minor when a highly fancied Donegal side where but to the sword by a Conor Glass master class. Hopefully a lesson has been learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Tyrone v Donegal U20 Healy Park, 8pm

Most of the games shown on PaircTV for the princely sum of €6 a pop. Watched Donegal v Armagh last Friday. Donegal look to be in good shape but Tyrone will be hard to beat.

https://pairctv.com/events/

Monaghan v Donegal U20 Brewster Park, 8pm on Friday

Streamed live on TG4’s GAA YouTube site at the link below.

https://youtu.be/UaPCFQPOHT8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well now. Derry gave us a game, should have beaten us. All very concerning after last year's Ulster Final and the ongoing issues with our defence.

We will be up for this match at the weekend. Michael coming back will ensure an increase in efforts. That might be enough, but there is a defeat on the cards for this team at some point in the next few weeks or months. I hope we have enough to win Ulster but we are going to run out of 2nd chances at some stage.

Like the league, the one positive is that we hung on and came back well. But if that Derry goal that hit the crossbar goes in, we are out. Fine margins, too fine.

Fair play to Paddy. He was not having a good day and I would have had him off 20 minutes before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In fairness though, as so often happens - if the goal went in our boys might have stepped it up a notch also. We were lucky for sure, but even after it became clear we might not win there was still a sense of complacency about the team, certain players excepted.

Really seemed to struggle against the blanket defence though - quick kickouts were good but any slow build-up made it look excruciatingly difficult to get past the 45 and score

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Can someone explain to me why Aaron Doherty isn’t in the county panel? Why is EOD starting and Doherty not even in the panel?

The Ulster Council have asked about having the final in Croke Park. Now whoever gets there from our side will have played 3 weeks in a row. If it’s Donegal we’ll have played Sunday, Sunday and then Saturday as the Leinster formality will be on the Sunday. Tough schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

The Ulster final isn't on until 1 Aug so there'll be a week off after the semi.

Hard to know with Doherty, he's been in the panal before so it's not like Declan doesn't rate him. I think he's more of an attacking player than EOD so we're not exactly short of options there. I'd have him above McGettigan but it's not like Gallen or Conor O'Donnell are getting much game time so he's probably as well off with Glen.

A mad game in Ballybofey. So many terrible performances, I’d run out of characters. I would agree with Martin McHugh’s statement re the standard. We actually have a specified role of ‘performance and psychology’ included in our backroom team. I hope he comes up with something new on Sunday.

Any idea who was giving what appeared to be tactical directions to Bonner in the 64th minute? He is not someone I’ve ever seen in the backroom team.

Post edited by ghostfacekilla on

It looks like they’re having a wee row!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

We are onto a big hiding soon with this porous defense. Lack of physicality really stands out coupled with our inability to tackle. Also worrying is the slow build up. Goals win matches but the, ball must be moved a lot quicker to get any. I hope we have enough to get past through Tyrone. Ulster maybe but id say no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Declan bonner and rochfords tenure on the line Sunday one would think, donegal have won the last two v tyrone, schooling tyrone in 2019 after it was thought tyrone were more offensive. If donegal can hold curb tyrone marquee men, donegal to win

It is a huge game for Bonner. We haven’t played in a SF since 14. We need to get back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

For some reason we seem 'fragile' this year. Murphy steadied the ship last weekend but we can't keep relying on him to dig us out of a hole. It's hard to know which team will be in better shape on Sunday, it's 50/50 IMO. Still worried by the goal chances we're giving the opposition & we're relying on long range points, we're not creating our own goal opportunities compared to a couple of years ago, I have a feeling we're in for another nervy 70+ minutes on Sunday.

Post edited by agfasfos on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We really looked a bit of a shambles against Derry and despite some of the media singing Derry`s midfield pairing praises it was more down to our own making as Mc Gonagle and Langan kept us in it .Murphy certainly steadied the ship showing why he is so important to us, but do we really have to emphasise that to other teams! I have mentioned here before about a right footed free taker in the absense of Murphy yet Sunday again, first free in a very scoreable position on the left wing it`s again McBrearty kicking and missing. I know the lad is not lacking in confidence, as he proved with the winner, but even for him it must knock it a bit. Plus give his marker something to niggle with.

I`m not sure I would fully agree with Mairtin McHugh on some not being good enough. There are a few whose form has dipped alright,(Mac Niallais to start against Tyrone?) but when it comes to his nephew Eoin he has a point. Not only is he no defender, he seems incapable or afraid to kick a ball forward. But then again nobody seemed willing to kick a ball into our forward line on Sunday. Whether that was due to management not having confidence on our forwards being able to win their own ball and a Derry counter attack I do not know, but to me it looked that way. Either way, goals win games and we are not going to score many playing like that.

If we can get over Sunday, I would be quite confident of winning the Ulster Final even with all our problems, but sadly I`m afraid that is as good as it will get for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

For the first time in a long time I am not confident we will get over the line the slump really began in last years Ulster Final there hasnt been much improvement since, that defeat seems to have sapped confidence. Any way hopefully we can produce a performance and reach another Ulster Final.

Awful 2nd half for the U20s. Saw a bit of the 1st and they were well on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Underage games can be unpredictable at the best of times, but they were so dominant for the first 40 mins of that game, I can't believe they lost it the way they did. Some bad wides and poor decision making when Monaghan went ahead, and all of a sudden the game was out of reach. Some lovely scores when they were on top though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Unbelievable match between Armagh/Monaghan. Neither team deserved to lose that.

Thank god for Ulster football.

As a Donegal fan, if we do get through the match against Tyrone, Monagahan will be a bigger task especially with the emotion which will propel them after losing their u20 captain and sponsor.

I can only see Monagahan as Ulster champions at this moment.

• Advertisement

It's like being pre 2011 now. No clue how we will go. With Jim, you knew what we were getting. With the manager after Jim too, for different reasons.

I have a bad feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ye will do against fergal logans planet of the apes , farney look good in fairness , derry are a quality side i fancy them for direct promoation to division 1 next year in the league , on paper that team last week was as good as tyrone

Not confident for today. There’s a few too many passengers we seem reluctant to bench for poor performances, whether it being a scarcity of cover in those areas or a sentimentality from coaching them for too long through the younger grades. There’s no way Murphy is going to be fit for today. Whatever level himself and MacNiallais are at will most likely decide the day. Either way, Ulster has given us two box office battles so far. U20’s will feel they left that one behind them. RIP to Ogie Duffy and condolences to all affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

In no way confident about today and the closer it gets the less convinced I am about getting a result.

All the pressure is on Donegal as its the end of the line for this current group if we get beat.

Tyrone can mix it up and we don’t have the defenders to go toe to toe with them. I can’t put my finger on it but we just haven’t seemed at the races at all and seems like we’re just hanging around and are only one game away from a tanking.

We live in hope though. Up Donegal.

If Stephen McMenamin is fit this is a crazy decision.

5 backs, including Ryan McHugh.

This will be very open I'd say.

Opposition have a lot of firepower on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Dont see how its the end of the line for the group, not many elderly statesmen to retire.

Definitely a strange decision for jamie Brennan to be naed in half backs though.... more worried about the match now...

Our attack needs to be more incisive move the ball quicker. Need to keep two men inside all the time. Soul destroying watching how easy Tyrone get through. And how slow our attack is. I don't know what they do in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Donegal are a better team, they just need to show it. Unless Tyrones bench can change the game in the second half i can’t see Donegal losing.

McQuillan what the hell? Strange decisions . Balls of a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Tyrone are a nasty shower.

Advertisement