Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

locha wrote: »
    Had an agent from a factory I have not dealt with in yrs call me last night… if you have a load or a double sell hard..

That’s what makes the difference. But if you haven’t a double then I think your better to deal flat with your independent or smaller abattoir or go to the right mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cattle starting to kill well now, sold some awful rubbish this week that all made the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve a fairly forward store bullock with a mild touch of timber tongue. It’s not effecting his thrive. What should I do? Will probably sell in mart as he’s an AA. It’s not holding him back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Timbetongue is easily enough cured. Vet Will give you an antibiotic for it. I think the short acting pen strep is only 14 day withdrawal. I had it on e and treated it like that. I put the bullocks in the shed And treated him each day. It was completely cleared in 5-6 days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

have 2 heifers and a lame cow in good nick only got a quote of 4.20 for heifers and 3.50 for cow in the south.Am I being rode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Well according to the journal we are going to hit €5. Heard of 4.35 base for heifers this week up this country.

Which for a u+ grading heifer is €4.79 so maybe the journal are not too far away.

AA heifers are hitting 4.7-4.8/ kg as well inc bonuses. There seems to be a an extra 10c+ on the base if you have a single if them and more I'd you had 30-50. Saw a bunch 3 weeks a go make over 5/ kg DW in the mart

Slava Ukrainii

a lot of hearsay regarding these higher than the run quotes. Widely reported but illusive to actually find. 4.25 for steers 4.35 for heifers in Slaney, Abp Waterford and Liffey meats Hacketstown. I can verify same.

5 cent to be got for travelling or perhaps some deal on transportation. But for a mortal without regular doubles of cattle flat rate independent abattoirs or the right mart(they are variable) are good options.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

O/T slightly, but anyone ever have cattle who're fussy eating nuts? I've 2 feeding troughs left out, and feeding the same nuts into both. In the last few days, they've only picked from one trough but wolfed down the other. I've washed it (both) down but no difference. Very maddening when one has to gather uneaten nuts again after them.

• Advertisement

I just leave it in piles on the grass. No problems. Is the trough the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The talk of €5 kg might be premature but cattle are holding sway unlike most years. Good weather helping too no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Another factor that may be helping is the processor's cards are marked over the price pull last February. Any concerted price pull in a strengthing market will bring questions. The old trick of using price pulls accross the board to flush out cattle would draw attention to the tactics.

It seems at the last few Beef taskforce meeting that that there are questions continually being raised about the February price drop. The excuse being used is excess product in UK chills due to Brexit. However it has out a spotlight on concerted price pulls by all processor's. If you look at the cow market there has been no concerted effort to pressurise there price which would normally be the case this time of year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

It was only a couple of weeks ago that the sheep processors took 25% off the price of lamb. Old habits die hard and all that...

There’s no one to hold a spotlight that can do anything.

24 months ago they were taking 5 cent off the base weekly, grading Angus and Hereford cattle as saanan goats, (which had the majority of prime under 30 month uk spec steer/heifer beef at €3.20/€3.30 all in at best at this point.

€1.30 difference to now.

€486 on a 360kg deadweight animal.

consumer beef price index in uk /europe show no corresponding graph I can decipher but I’d love to be corrected.

The torch bearers paid 200 million to farmers to compensate for this industry profiteering with Fine Gael and the ifa standing proudly chest out wanting their bellies rubbed “for fighting for it” “and getting it over the line”.

mii then got a further 100 million to help them through this traumatic time. All of this with no accounts shown.

Next year numbers will be in the cartels favour again and if with no preemptive action to be seen I can’t see how they won’t return to their usual ways.

The cattle just are not there at this moment in time no other reason ,they will pull prices as fast as lightening once numbers appear maybe it wont rain for another 2 weeks balance swings back to factory .I have cows gone this week but they have you booking a week in advance already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The soccer is over! What is the quote like?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

E3.60 flat o/p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Now we are starting to see the 30month cattle coming out. Back the cows up can help stall any rise or drop the base of prime cattle. Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nuts. Sometimes I only feed in the trough they 'don't like' to make them eat it. I've also noticed it sometimes when only feeding in a single trough; there's days they just spend their time nosing them about before wandering away in disinterest. Very fussy! Possibly could be something to do with a changeover from older nuts in the bin to a newer fill, the scent of the newer stuff may be a bit different.

I feeding barley/ maize/ hulls cattle seem to have no issue finishing it. Quality finished of feeds can vary. I have seen cattle turn there noses up to nuts a few time and look at you as if WTF is this you are giving me.

On refusing to eat from one trough any chance it is insulated from the ground this might build up static electricity or if it metal is it getting to hot. However I use metal trough's and no issusy

Slava Ukrainii

Anyone have an O’neills feeder? Looks like they’d be handy. Probably expensive but they save a lads back.

Adlib feeding is the fastest way to go broke at present. rations prices means that only on the most efficient converters are you better than breaking even. On less efficient cattle you are losing money feeding cattle. On most cattle you should be only feeding to achieve fat score or to make sure cattle get to QA bonus. The day of allowing cattle access to 10-12kgs/day is gone unless you are contract feeding to a processor

Slava Ukrainii

The calibrated ones I meant. Started Feeding 30 bullocks last week and more to start in a few week, I’d like to make the job a bit easier. Rent the place out I hear you say 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Advantage feeder are a good job, with sheep anyway. but they have heavy duty ones for cattle as well

You can adjust the feeding rate

https://advantagefeeders.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Any mart fat cow prices?

Have two I would like to get going. Not sure if value of continuing to feed and then price soften leading to a zero sum game.

3.5 years old. LM

7 yrs old. LM.

They both were 700 kg 3 weeks ago when weighted.

Both would take more flesh but could be killed now aswell.

Would they come into 1400 in Mart?

Advertisement