Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lol at the "you are against us if you don't wholly go along with me" whataboutery.

It's attitudes like the one in your post which alienates moderate people into getting into a discussion with you.
    Though it's always been in play in politics to some degree as it springs from basic human nature, of late the more recently imported from America binary approach and even the very labels of "left" and "right" along American lines has infected our political and social discourse. In extremis and on both "sides" you could be talking with American university students. The current Irish "right" and "left" ape their transatlantic fellows and the same buzzwords are in play. This is even more evident on social media.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The argument is often made on here that there is a clear space for a tradtional conservative party (not the 'traditional conservative' party that the National Party and their midget Hitler leader were described as earlier in the thread) with middle-of-the-road conservative positions on tax, immigration, policing and crime, welfare reform, and so on.

But the ongoing failure of any new such party to emerge, or for any of our chameleon-like existing parties to head towards that space, makes me wonder just how big that space is.

We have always been a country of moderate, centrist parties, and I think that centrism stops any parties on the extremes from making any real inroads. If the political centre did skew significantly one way or the other, then a space would open up for a party to react to that.

The fact that these parties don't emerge suggests to me that the space simply isn't there to any real degree, and that people (on posters on here) are seriously exaggerating the effects of the extremes (left and right) on the political landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sadly that's a product of living in an open democratic society. You will always have extremists and hateful ones with it and if and when fists meet faces they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the laws of the same open democratic society.

Violence, white supremacy, etc. are not products of living in an open democratic society, they are products of people being ignorant bigoted arseholes

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

osarusan wrote: »
    But the ongoing failure of any new such party to emerge, or for any of our chameleon-like existing parties to head towards that space, makes me wonder just how big that space is.

Renua :cool::pac:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Ironically in the South Dublin by-election the National Party has a candidate, but also has a former candidate running! The National Party reprimanded Delores Cahill for her.. odd.. statements about vaccines and she seems to be running as an independent now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ironically in the South Dublin by-election the National Party has a candidate, but also has a former candidate running! The National Party reprimanded Delores Cahill for her.. odd.. statements about vaccines and she seems to be running as an independent now.

you have to go a long way to be too nutty for the NP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I dont think she was too nutty. She was stealing Litlers thunder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The argument is often made on here that there is a clear space for a tradtional conservative party (not the 'traditional conservative' party that the National Party and their midget Hitler leader were described as earlier in the thread) with middle-of-the-road conservative positions on tax, immigration, policing and crime, welfare reform, and so on.

We have always been a country of moderate, centrist parties, and I think that centrism stops any parties on the extremes from making any real inroads. If the political centre did skew significantly one way or the other, then a space would open up for a party to react to that.

The fact that these parties don't emerge suggests to me that the space simply isn't there to any real degree, and that people (on posters on here) are seriously exaggerating the effects of the extremes (left and right) on the political landscape.

That's a reasonable position and one I struggle to argue with in any coherent way.

Irish people, as an electorate, are wonderfully progressive and increasingly so. My worry is that this progressivness is starting to drag out the regressive elements on the right and they are actually being listened to and not dismissed.

Hey, maybe I spend too much time on boards reading anti traveller/immigration/abortion/trans rights posts. Maybe boards isn't representative of the Irish population. Maybe my worry isn't that much of an actual worry.

It's hardly hysterical to express concern though. You haven't suggested I'm hysterical, but others have

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree. The Irish are centrist by nature, at least in the sense of being not too reactionary towards the status quo of the time. The "rebel Irish" meme is largely a myth, certainly on home ground. We're more a "be grand", more reactive than proactive and more local than national a culture as a general thing. Much of this I would say was down to a small not exactly economically strong population and one that has often looked outwards more than inwards for guidance, even authority. When we finally threw out the English(and it was hardly a done deal until it was) and put all our woes on them in the aftermath, we were quick to look to the Vatican to replace them as an authority and in turn attached our woes to them when they left. We were also a very homogenous society when considering the notion of "Irishness".

Could this middle of the road centrist culture shift one way or the other? Well Ireland has changed and changed rapidly and for the better for most in a very short time. 30 years, a generation essentially and with those changes there will be increased pressures on the edges. The demographics have changed in a big way where what is it something like one in five living here are not originally from here. That will bring new challenges and forces to bear. The hangover from Covid and a possible downturn in economics will be another. Both can be fertile ground for conservative and right wing politics to grow. On singular issues at least. We rightfully patted ourselves on the back for the Repeal and SSM votes, but it's easy to ignore that a third of voters were against both and quite likely the same third. The 04 citizenship vote was a landslide in favour of shutting down that loophole.
    Violence, white supremacy, etc. are not products of living in an open democratic society, they are products of people being ignorant bigoted arseholes
    Ignorant bigoted arseholes like the poor will always be with us and in every society. That they can have a voice is the price we pay for open democratic societies. Censorship never works, only by shining a light on extreme views can we hope to reduce them. Plus censorship can have consequences. Unless you were a rare outlier, and percentages would be against you, the "you" of say 1950's Ireland would have quite likely been a White supremacist to one degree or other, would have been dead set against divorce, SSM, Gay rights and abortion. You're not an "ignorant bigoted arsehole" today only because your society isn't and that happened because a small number of those rare outliers went against the tide and censorship and their culture and changed things for the better. The vast majority of people's attitudes and beliefs are like water, they fill the container they're placed in.

For all the talk of nazis it's easy for us to forget that the actual nazis turned one of the most educated, advanced and civilised nations in Europe into a horror show in not much more than a decade.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The Nal wrote: »
    I dont think she was too nutty. She was stealing Litlers thunder.

That nickname will never not be funny. :D

Brian? wrote: »
    Hey, maybe I spend too much time on boards reading anti traveller/immigration/abortion/trans rights posts. Maybe boards isn't representative of the Irish population. Maybe my worry isn't that much of an actual worry.

I think you do worry too much. In isolation, Boards is not representative of the Irish population but then neither is Twitter.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    Irish people, as an electorate, are wonderfully progressive and increasingly so.
    And very recently so. That's what too many seem to ignore or like to forget. As I said above if this were not so long ago we were almost the complete opposite. We were one of the most regressive and conservative nations and cultures in Europe. Even "Catholic" France and Italy had decriminalised homosexuality well over a century before us.
    My worry is that this progressivness is starting to drag out the regressive elements on the right and they are actually being listened to and not dismissed.
    And where are they being listened to and not dismissed outside of a few eejits on social media? The titular National Party are only discussed in the mainstream as a joke or a boogyman and have near zero electoral support.
    Well if we go by votes on those subjects that were put to one, in the cases of abortion and SSM around a third of the Irish electorate were against them on the day. On Immigration 80% voted to restrict one aspect of it to non EU residents. In the last presidential election Casey went from last in the polls to second based on comments about Travellers. Going further back the 95 Divorce referendum scraped through by the skin of its teeth, barely one percent. Though the latter was a vote held at the tail end of old Ireland so not very applicable if at all(the previous vote didn't get through).

As far as the future goes, who knows? Being "progressive" certainly isn't a given. As far as all the countries and cultures on earth it's not even a majority in many cases. On immigration and multiculturalism, unless we end up being a singular the exception proves the rule case, it will bring challenges and issues like in every western nation that's tried it and that will likely impact politically to some degree. As settled society becomes ever more different than Traveller society there will continue to be challenges there too. Even in my lifetime I've seen those divisions and suspicions on both sides increase not decrease. Abortion is pretty much a done deal in many ways and can't see that becoming any sort of political football, unless the culture markedly shifts. Same for Gay rights and SSM. The Trans question is relatively new and has garnered quite the pushback and not just from conservatives and the right, there's quite the backlash from feminist thinkers who would be on the left of things. So that's up in the air.
    It's hardly hysterical to express concern though. You haven't suggested I'm hysterical, but others have
    I certainly didn't anyway. I did say the thought process and fear about the NP was hysterical in many ways and I would stand by that. The boogyman is not to be feared, it's the measured and sensible on the surface shifts that are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gearoid88

She was with Herman Kelly's IFP. Not the National Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gearoid88 wrote: »
    She was with Herman Kelly's IFP. Not the National Party.

Any news on your claim about the assault victim's tweets Mr 88?

If the NP want to be taken seriously theyll have to go on Pat Kenny or tv panel and the like and they'd be absolutely torn apart. Id love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Since Barrett managed a paltry 0.7% of the votes cast in the Dublin bay south by election are we still seeing the rise of the far right in Ireland?

Glazers Out!

I think we've just witnessed the death of it. They've been utterly humiliated in 2 elections in a row now.

°°°°°

No mandate, no support. Hopefully they stick together, easier to monitor their stupidity when they're all in one place, one tiny little place.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty awful election for them alright but I saw that they have been working on their uniforms with identical hats, sunglasses, masks, jackets and boots.

°°°°°

Brilliant, I'd say Barrett is raging those lads are all taller than him. Looks like they ironed on a few logos onto fishing jackets from the Aldi specials aisle and the caps are from Penneys. Laughable.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a group of 12 year olds would be taller than him. The guy on the right is 5'8" tops.

Where do they go from here.....pulling less than 200 votes is a poor showing

I cant see a leadership heave achiving much for em,as well theres some serious motovational qs hanging over it senior members,which are waiting airing and would take years to build someone upto barretts profile

Its hard to see a future for em,they had been quite emboldened by leading some lockdown protests with quite good numbers showing up,but seems to have peetered out.....its hard to see a growth stragedy for em,to get to 5% nationally inside a generation??

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The ultra fashion conscious fascists of 1930s Europe and banana republic dictators of South America would be ashamed to be associated with these guys.

Where's the flamboyant hats, medals, skulls and bondage leather. Also any two bit wannabe dictator worth his salt knows that it should always be Aviator glasses.

Poor poor effort from an fuhrer beag

Fashion faux pas from faux fascists?

Say that 5 times fast.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I don't see a thread about the far left parties entering the mainstream.

When you look at history, the far left is a lot more dangerous than the far right.

Ignorance will be the death of us.

You must be blind so. This forum is full of pearl clutching about the "far left". Mind you it's mainly from people who think Bernie Sanders is far left.

If you still can't find one, why don't you start one?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

It was always going to be an abysmal showing. It was comical stuff. These people are over represented on online forums and the many fake social media accounts they use. Its quite enjoyable to see what happens in the real world when they get laughed at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Can you point me to the thread about the far left entering Irish politics?

As you say I "must be blind" I can't see it, so I guess it must be fairly prominent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nice attempt at deflection there as soon as someone brought up the terrible election result

Advertisement