Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone €30 pm broadband offer

• 15-07-2021 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Just looked at my Virgin media internet bill. I'm being charged €90 pm for my internet, TV and phone package which has a speed of up to 500 Mbs.

I just got in an email from One Big Switch saying that they had teamed up with Vodafone who could offer me up to 500Mbs with Vodafone for €30pm (€25 pm for the 1st 4 months). They would also tie me into a 12 month contract.

I rang Virgin Media to see if they could match the Vodafone price and was totally underwhelmed. the best the rep could offer me was a totally unsatisfactory offer to reduce my monthly bill to €85 pm. He then gave me loads of yada yada about Vodafone using the ESB network and how unreliable it was, how it was shared with Sky and loads of other companies.

I've been with Virgin for many years, but the Vodafone offer looks very tempting.

Has anyone else here taken the plunge and changed over and not regretted it? Also, are there any sneaky additional charges I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

vodafone usually cut you off when you reach your internet limit instead of charging you.

They don't, because they don't have a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I move around each year. I've not had a problem with any of them, including Vodafone. It's a big saving going from 90 to 30 a month.

Just make sure the start date is set and the end date is also set with who you're joining and leaving.

I've not missed TV packages as I just stream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Also be careful to protect your phone number. You may be given an (076) xxxxxxx number and if you are, you original number will disappear for ever.

I changed from eir to VF and it went very smoothly - off air for about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Bit of an unfair comparison as you have a full package with Virgin and I presume the quoted price from Vodafone is broadband only?

I've been with Vodafone broadband for 7 years and find it ultra reliable still paying €30 PM as i ring every year to haggle, works every time.They have a FUP of 1TB that should be more than sufficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you go on the Vodafone website and try your address? They tell me the max I can get is 10Mbs

Best Home Broadband Package Deals from Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i got the Vodafone broadband, 500gb with their TV offering bundled. the product is excellent. the customer service is abysmal.

My advice is not turn off you old broadband until the new is up and running. not with Vodafone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Murt10

Yes I did thanks, €30 pm for 500 Mbps and 40€mbs for 1000 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Murt10

OP here.

Thanks everyone for replies. Looks like a no brainer. I'm off to Vodafone. Hope I have more luck than I did with my mobile contract I had with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

"He then gave me loads of yada yada about Vodafone using the ESB network and how unreliable it was, how it was shared with Sky and loads of other companies."

He was being economical with the truth, all right! VF are also supplying it via Eir's fibre and "part fibre" networks - but you probably already know that.

They will even supply it over Eir's Rural Fibre that few know about. (https://fibrerollout.ie/) They offered me €25 a month last year on Black Friday and I'm kinda sorry I didn't take it. I was greedy and holding out for the Google Echo that was also in the rumoured offer I saw on Boards. That was for 100MBps, no land line etc, and for 12 months only. They used to plague me with offers to sign up for broadband when I was not in a location to get fibre. Now that I am, it's crickets...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I just checked using that link and the max I can get is 100 mbps.

Please pardon my lack of knowledge but isn't Vodafone a cellular company? Unless I missed it, it is not stated on that page how is that 100 mbps supplied. Wireless 4G/5G, coax or phone line?

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I switched to VF for the fibre offer for 40/month. However, I've had to also shell out for a VPN because they buffer my IPTV connections. Luckily I have a dedicated router for my TV that runs the VPN all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Been running IPTV for years with Vodafone broadband and never had a throttling issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭savemejebus

FUP OF 1TB is atrocious. That would stop me switching right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've two separate IPTV providers. Everything was flawless with VM, but with VF I get buffering especially on Saturdays when football matches are being shown. At other times there is no buffering.

But, when I switch on my VPN, the buffering goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Have any existing Vodafone customers been able to get them to match this deal for renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I was on a 35e deal which was due to go to 50e a month, rang them up and resigned for 12 months again at the same price. Later rang up to see about a deal for my parents one and said they were thinking of going to Eir because it was 29.99 a month and the immediately matched it too. I'm still happy with the 35e per month anyway but agree customer care is poor.

If you're looking for the best offer they have a team called Customer Options which will get you a better price than the person who you first speak to on 1907.

This is what comes up for me at the moment - am tempted...., especially if I can get the extra €20 off using OneBigSwitch.

They were only offering 100MBps a month or two ago. I'd be happy with a reliable 10-20MBps! That is for delivery over Eir Rural Fibre, so I have my doubts that there will be zero installation charges. I'd definitely need to get a repeat deal at 12 months or switch, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone have the number from OneBigSwitch to ring? Their website won't load for me at all. Tried different browsers, wifi vs 5g, phone vs laptop but it won't load at all! V strange

• Advertisement

No number given on their contact page, just a "callback" form to fill in, but on their Vodafone offer page it gives 1 800 804444. Dunno if that Vodafone or OneBig Switch.

------------

Member, don't pay too much for broadband.

Take advantage of Ireland's CHEAPEST BROADBAND! Our exclusive Vodafone offer is the cheapest broadband and landline bundle in the country!

Get unlimited broadband and FREE landline for just €30 per month for the first 12 months, and €50 thereafter!

WHAT'S MORE: One Big Switch members get an additional €5 off per month for the first 4 months!

View the offer details here or call Vodafone on 1800 804 444 to speak to an expert.

You can always request a callback here if you don't have time to make a call now.

See if you can save today!

REQUEST A CALLBACK

-------------

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Thanks for that info. Was it just the broadband you got for €29.99 / €35 or any calls included?

Post edited by muffinhead on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hello folks. Does anyone know if Vodafone will cancel virgin for me, or is that my job?

In case anyone else is wondering about this, the answer is no, you need to cancel virgin yourself.

Have to say, very impressed with VF so far, signed up on Thursday afternoon, a technician installed the equipment at 0940 Friday morning.

Had a few hiccups getting various things switched over (smart bulbs etc) but got there in the end.

Cancelling virgin was some ordeal though, 35min wait just to get to speak to someone, followed by 20 mins of them throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me to not leave. lady on the phone seemed fairly certain "I'd be back, as they are experiencing 80% of customers who left for Vodafone returning to them" (nice try saleswoman)

I think if I could do that over again, id simply email them follows by cancelling the direct debit with the bank..

Just a heads-up for anyone else who has to travel the same path I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭smillingsam

I'm thinking of switching from Virgin to Vodafone myself as Virgin have put up there price once again, thats bad enough but the service is not as good as it used to be, the connection drops a few times a day now which it never done before, so they want us to pay extra for an interior service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

You will be back after your promotional contract will finish with VF next year. As we are all doing(switching every year:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone know if the voda router wifi is any good?

I would love to switch but my Eir wifi is finally behaving after years of trouble getting it just right. Don't fancy another setup that's good in theory but let down by equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can potentially tell you tomorrow as I ordered this Friday(with TV) and it is being installed tomorrow.(27th). I'm currently with Eir but I've been using the router I had with Sky and have a booster upstairs. If the vodafone router cannot interact with the sky booster then what I will do is continue to use my Sky equipment. There is no technical reason that i have to use Vodafones own equipment.

If I find the VF equipment good then I will just clone my SSID and password onto the VF router so that I don't have to retrain all my devices already connected to it.

The engineer placed my router in the utility room which is situated towards the rear of the property, struggled connecting the nest camera to it which is overlooking the front of the property, but once I figured out how to set up the super WiFi box that came with it, I've not had a problem. To be fair, the WiFi receiver within the nest camera doesn't seem to be the best as it often disconnected f in the virgin router that was in the front room of the house too.

Only other issues I had was connecting some smart plugs and bulbs, but that was overcome by setting them up on AP mode.

Early days I know, but seems to be rock solid so far as I can see anyway.

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

About to change from Pure Telecom to this Vodafone offer. Would appreciate any instructions on how to clone the SSID so I dont have to reconnect everything. As an aside I'm using Deco M5's in the house, I'm assuming these will work away as normal ?

Advertisement