Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭AJB39

iseegirls wrote: »
    And below 91k for the Friday and Sunday episodes as well. Not great at all.

I see The Tonight Show is on 9pm on Wednesday, with Love Island at 10pm instead.

Love Island is moving because of the England match. Makes sense to have The Tonight Show at 9 rather then having it on at 11.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

roadmaster wrote: »
    I wonder would there be any interest from senior managment to go for a MBO

Would basically be private equity anyway. Money has to come from somewhere, and the managers of a wholly owned subsidiary typically aren’t on PLC type salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

icdg wrote: »
    Would basically be private equity anyway. Money has to come from somewhere, and the managers of a wholly owned subsidiary typically aren’t on PLC type salaries.

I know a few construcrion companies that had MBOs backee by private equity and they turned the companys around very well, The Private equity didnt care what they did once they made the repayments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I wonder if Discovery Inc would have any interest?

They recently bought Three in New Zealand (that used to be owned by Canwest, a former owner of TV3 here).

Discovery Inc has deep pockets and can leverage existing relationships with programme distributors globally to bring down the price they pay for foreign programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Whoever buys the Virgin tv channels, will they change the name back to TV3. I am not sure if it is a good thing if the name was changed back, but it is a known brand. If it does go back to TV3 it need to be revamped completely and 3e and be3 need to be given there own identity. 3e should be something like channel 6 was and what E4 is. They need to get new programming and move away from showing as much ITV programming as they can. Stop the ITV repeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Whoever buys the Virgin tv channels, will they change the name back to TV3. I am not sure if it is a good thing if the name was changed back, but it is a known brand. If it does go back to TV3 it need to be revamped completely and 3e and be3 need to be given there own identity. 3e should be something like channel 6 was and what E4 is. They need to get new programming and move away from showing as much ITV programming as they can. Stop the ITV repeats

If Discovery took it most likely

TV3
    Quest
    Really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A lot of people I know still call it TV3. Most catch themselves and correct themselves, but it's still mad to me that they gave up on the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I wonder if Discovery Inc would have any interest?

They recently bought Three in New Zealand (that used to be owned by Canwest, a former owner of TV3 here).

Discovery Inc has deep pockets and can leverage existing relationships with programme distributors globally to bring down the price they pay for foreign programming.

Liberty media/ Malone own a large chunk of Discovery, if Discovery buying VM was something they wanted to do, I'd imagine the deal would be done behind the scenes and then announced. No need to trawl the asset around in a dog and pony show.

Discovery have themselves just agreed a merger with Warner Bros, their shareholders will have about 29% of the new company with the majority held by shareholders of Warner’s owner AT&T. This is the transaction that had the analysts saying “convergence is dead”, since AT&T is effectively getting rid of its content wing (the deal effectively involves spinning off Warner and merging it with Discovery). So I’m not sure they’re in the market for a cable company at the moment (that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t take VMTV on its own at the right price).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Mark Cagney definetely thinks it should go back to the name of TV3 at least.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/7231788/mark-cagney-virgin-media-tv3-broadband-name-change/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

He's right what he says, it is and only ever was a marketing tool for TV/broadband/mobile services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There's some news tonight that one of the British & Irish Lions matches for this weekend have been called off due to some Covid outbreaks. The Vodacom Bulls have a Covid outbreak in the team meaning that match has been postponed. Also Georgia have 4 Covid cases among their team. The Springboks are now in self-isolation as a precaution following official SA covid protocols.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/57741576

I wonder would VM Two will they have the rights to be showing some archive Lions rugby documentary like what's being done on All4 at the moment or could VM just put on another repeat of an ITV programme back into their schedule.

BAI should never have allowed them change the name, they should insist that they now keep the name Virgin Media one, TWO and THREE.

Not sure if it was this thread but ....

VIRGIN MEDIA NEWS is largely born out UTV's Ireland Live not TV3 NEWS. Imagine a 2 year old news service replace a 20 year old one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

An episode of the drama 'Smalltown' was meant to be shown at 11 but it's being shown an hour later than scheduled with an episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? on before it. Virgin Media Television hasn't bothered to update the TV Guide on its website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

That's not true. The TV3 Television Network, which has since become Virgin Media Television, took-over UTV Ireland and re-named it Be3. The news service for all of the network's 3 channels was named 3 News Ireland. Then the network's name was changed to Virgin. The news bulletins on VM2 (formerly 3e) and VM3 (formerly Be3) were gradually dropped afterwards.

I mean to say that Ireland Live (5:30, 6:30 and 10 O'Clock) were a precursor to the current Virgin Media News, not TV3 News or 3 News. When you look at the style of Ireland Live V TV3 News V Virgin Media News you will see that Ireland Live has much more influence on the Virgin Media News.

The Head of News at UTV Ireland is now Head of News at Virgin Media Television.

While I know what Elmo means, perhaps better to say the best of both combined, perhaps. (I know, it implies there was a good to TV3 News at that stage). Ireland Live, like Sky News Ireland before it, was better quality that TV3 News but suffered from bad scheduling. Don’t take on Six One.

Don't take on News at 5:30 also. Ireland Live should have aired at 8pm between Coronation Street Monday, Tuesday and Friday, and at 7:30 between Emmerdale on Tuesday and Thursday, audience wouldn't have cared if it alternated the time Monday to Friday, it would have gain an audience that had largely exited Prime Time TV3 bar The Tonight Show. Anytime either TV3 or UTV Ireland aired a News Special both had at least 250,000 viewers, TV3 News at 8pm regularly gets 100,000 at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Any buyers for virgin media yet?

• Advertisement

Even seeing how Sky's rejigging of channels, and giving them distinct channels - also shows how awful Virgin Media's rebrand of their channels have been. What is VM2 and VM3 to some people? They both show similar programming. They could went with something like this (copying some of Sky's names):

Virgin Media Showcase

Virgin Media Entertainment

Virgin Media Retro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

That's a good idea for the direction of the channels. I like it. Gives clear identity

At this stage they won’t be rebranded Virgin Media anything. Will be for the buyer (if there is one) to put their stamp on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Ireland AM is repeated on Virgin Two in the afternoon … complete with the clock showing the time as it was on that morning’s show. I presume that its viewing figures are about Nil and nobody notices or cares.

They did repeat the full 3 hours pre-VM times, on 3e.

The hour long repeat reappeared on VM2 when they dropped Loose Women all of a sudden a few years ago. I think they've given up on daytime across those 3 channels anyway. The Chase is shown multiple times across the 3 channels every day.

Many shows are repeats of what was shown the day before on the exact same channel.

Heartbeat at 5pm is the same episode from 8pm on previous day. Same for Poirot. Same for Pick Me. Same for The Chase Australia. Same for Tipping Point. And these are all shows which have been shown multiple times already. It is quite something that they don't have enough new shows to fill one channel, never mind 3 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say it's in a bad way, Champions League gone so that means pretty much the Sport channels are dead in the water.

TBH I think once the Virgin Media O2 deal was announced it was unlike that Virgin Media TV would take there package for champions league. I'd say most if not all of VM Sport was from their telecommunications side to attract people to their offering, I imagine they will shortly close it down, unless VM TV want to make a forth channel, and I can't see it staying as a sports channel, so it is likely it will close along with eirSport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ya, maybe a virgin media FOUR channel is a good idea....

Loop Tipping point and the chase 24 hours a day....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Isn't RTÉ2 now VMTV FOUR :)

I suspect the imagination for a 4th channel involving ITV quizs is beyond VMTV

VM TWO +1

VM THREE +1

Would be my guess

Advertisement