Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel's Black Widow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

wow she's annoying... i lasted 11 seconds...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First screenings always have outwardly positive opinions, the outlets are rarely chosen by the studio for being nuanced or overly critical of the franchise. I've seen a few of the Twitter posts post the BW first screening and it's standard language for these kind of movies. Effusive and gushing, hyped to be first to see the New Thing. Definitely will wait til other outlets, seeing it in their own terms, get to watch it.

It feels weird though that ALLLLLL these movies later, and after the damn character died 2 films ago that we're seeing Black Widow - a phase 1 character - finally get her due.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Ike Perlmutter is to blame for the delay of Black Widow getting her own film. It was his opinion the female or black led superhero films would not work and he spent his time championing The Inhumans.

Thankfully he is lone gone from making MCU decisions now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/relationships/scarlett-johansson-critiques-how-black-widow-was-hypersexualized-upon-entering-the-mcu/ar-AALdPFf

I see where she's coming from for the most part, but I completely disagree with her reading of the line, "I want one," in Iron Man. The line is a joke: word play laid on a foundation that says that objectification is ridiculous. Taking it literally is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

paulie1983 wrote: »
    Ike Perlmutter is to blame for the delay of Black Widow getting her own film. It was his opinion the female or black led superhero films would not work and he spent his time championing The Inhumans.

Thankfully he is lobe gone from making MCU decisions now
    The Inhumans....Christ.....that was a fecking disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think I'm more looking forward to this film being released so it's finally out of the way rather than looking forward to seeing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think I'm more looking forward to this film being released so it's finally out of the way rather than looking forward to seeing it.

Same. Too much water under the bridge for me to care about Black Widow's backstory at this stage. Feels redundant to the momentum of the MCU as well, after the Phase 4 promotions. I suspect this will tick the Captain America: Winter Soldier box in terms of style and tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

pixelburp wrote: »
    Same. Too much water under the bridge for me to care about Black Widow's backstory at this stage. Feels redundant to the momentum of the MCU as well, after the Phase 4 promotions. I suspect this will tick the Captain America: Winter Soldier box in terms of style and tone.

Imo Winter Soldier is the best action movie of all the Marvel movies so if the action is even half as good in Black Widow I'll be pretty happy!

Isn't this movie also going to set up her sister as the new black widow going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gmisk wrote: »
    The Inhumans....Christ.....that was a fecking disaster

That tanked so bad they even got killed off and removed from the comics.

Reviews are being posted. Haven't read any myself but for anyone who goes by them, Rotten Tomatoes is at 84% and Metacritic is at 69

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Reviews are being posted. Haven't read any myself but for anyone who goes by them, Rotten Tomatoes is at 84% and Metacritic is at 69

From the couple I've read, sound like it tries to be a little Bourne, a little MI with some success but reverts to MCU type in the finale with a big overblown, noisy climax (which you can kinda see from the trailers TBH).

That's one of the main reasons I don't watch trailers for films I plan on seeing, apart from maybe the first. They always have the money shots in there. Or they reveal the secret villain.

Soulless and pointless like not a few films in this "universe".

The Red Guardian "humour" and attempted pathos in particular was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All round I thought it was quite poor. For a "Black Widow" movie Scarlett Johansson seemed almost sidelined throughout. Some of the humor hits - a lot of it didn't for me. And some of it was in really awkward places too.

I just never thought there was never any danger to main characters. There was nothing to invest in (a lot of that is to do with the fact we already knew the ultimate outcome anyway). Second half is a CGI sh!tfest we are all too familiar with. Nothing saves it from that point for me.

It's just a bad movie. It's a money grab.

There is nothing more to say about it really. Maybe the very start was ok but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

An odd film alright. Makes jokes about kids being brainwashed, has the uncaring and abusive parents as heroes and has black widow pushed to the side to focus more on her sister ( admittedly florence pugh was great). Maybe it would have better to have made it similar to Logan a bit more gritty, given the subject matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was one of the better recent MCU films, let down ultimately by that familiar flaw of the third act being an overlong, overloud bunch of horseshit. Florence Pugh is predictably fantastic, and the central family comedy-drama lent more grounded, human gravitas to proceedings than I've come to expect from this franchise. Cate Shortland has a more cinematic eye for storytelling than the likes of the Russos, so the film looks pretty good on the big screen for the most part. It's not much more than a solid spy movie / Bourne-like - but it does its job competently.

For a good hour the action itself keeps relatively grounded - there's a good solid car chase, and lots of good old fashioned espionage film globe-hopping. But it's a Marvel film - when the CG action inevitably arrives, it's as bland and anonymous as ever. It's only more infuriating in cases like this and Black Panther - two of the better directed and distinctive Marvel movies, but can't fully escape the corporate shackles of the uber-franchise they belong to. If it feels particularly egregious here, it's because Black Widow is an altogether less 'super' hero in terms of ridiculous powers - there are extended bits here where Shortland absolutely portrays her as a more down-to-earth hero, but the bullshit falling through the sky stuff could have been any of the Marvel roster without much adaptation needed.

Also, don't have a bloody clue what was going on with the constantly fluctuating accent work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was a bit meh myself. Probably ranks around average in terms of MCU films. It probably would have worked better as a MCU tv show like Hawkeye will be and where you can actually leave the relationship between Black Widow and her sister/family grow. As is, it felt way too forced

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long was it between the time pugh escaped/was freed and she met blackwidow again?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

Went to the cinema to watch this yesterday evening , Thoroughly enjoyed it , Florence Pugh is easily set up to be the new Black widow , My only downfall to this would be Ray Winstone's accent , I just didn't but the Russian accent especially in his final scenes every second word he said All i could hear was his cockney accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thought it was one of the better titular-character Marvel movies actually. Great performances, few genuine laughs, not quite as stale as I predicted, decent action. I wasn't overly interested in seeing it but now that I have, it's easy to recommend.

Definitely preferred this by a wide margin over the likes of Black Panther or Captain Marvel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Have to say I didn't really think much of it, not the worst marvel film but not great at all.

Personal opinion mind you..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed it I have to say.

Florence Pugh was the standout but the whole family stuff was excellent.

Liked the action scenes, but the big section section at the end was very like another marvel film...

The biggest letdown was Ray Winstone...dreadful actor...dreadful accent...

####spoiler######

Dreadful villain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Taskmaster was the biggest let Down for me, should have been a different character playing them and at least have some bit of personality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would agree. Personally I think the movie ended stronger than what it started / mid way if that makes sense? As at the start it was a bit generic. But it won't be known as the worst marvel movie but not the best as you say. It is what it is. Worse ways to spend 2 hours and 14 mins.

Another big question is was there a need for this movie now? Like, lets all get the elephant out of the room it was made to make money which I am sure it has. But from another aspect we already know the fate of Black Widow. Wouldn't this have made more sense to have released this 2016/2017? That said tho, Florence Pugh's character is definitely going to be in many a marvel movie going forward. So it pushed her character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

I enjoyed it tbh easy watch but didn't feel as marvelly as other flicks which isn't a bad thing.

Taskmaster for me I liked the reveal as hadn't been spoiled for me but kept seeing Prophet from the Crysis game series.

I'd watch a sequel no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I mean I paid €22 for this hoping for an enjoyable couple of hours, but what I'm left with is a tattoo on my brain of the worst Russian accent I've ever heard. Thanks a lot, Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was okay. Didn't think it was hugely great at anything and it was mostly saved by a solid-as-usual performance from Johansson and fantastic performances from Florence Pugh and David Harbour. I think they could have done a lot more with it though. For instance having Nat & Yelena using their spy skills to try break out of the prison, but being interrupted by either Taskmaster or other Black Widows and then turn it into an action scene, rather than just flying in with a helicopter and having just pure action. The plan of how to get into the Red Room and get close to Drakov was also fairly bland too. There was no real use of the characters talents and skills throughout the film other than a bit of fighting.

It was pretty fun throughout though. I would say lower mid-table in the rankings of the MCU. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but doesn't do anything special or interesting. Will definitely look forward to seeing more of Florence Pugh in the MCU though.

Advertisement