Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of teacher training

Options
  • 06-07-2021 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

This article is infuriating. It is research carried out by the very departments who campaigned to have the PGDE changed to the PME so a 9 month course took almost 2 years and charged accordingly.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40329842.html?fbclid=IwAR2rJTEeXgJgTE6jLBTo1dRkUGano_RRlVHA0FuUwY_F9gjcCENFBGVF-V0

I have seen no discernable difference in the quality of the student teachers or NQTs and actually think they may be deteriorating as only a certain type of person can afford to do this.

Recruiting seems to be worse even than normal on the ground this year, it'll be interesting to see how the next 5 years of growth into second level go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

This article is infuriating. It is research carried out by the very departments who campaigned to have the PGDE changed to the PME so a 9 month course took almost 2 years and charged accordingly.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40329842.html?fbclid=IwAR2rJTEeXgJgTE6jLBTo1dRkUGano_RRlVHA0FuUwY_F9gjcCENFBGVF-V0

I have seen no discernable difference in the quality of the student teachers or NQTs and actually think they may be deteriorating as only a certain type of person can afford to do this.

Recruiting seems to be worse even than normal on the ground this year, it'll be interesting to see how the next 5 years of growth into second level go

I think schools will just make-do as they always did during shortages.
    The Department don't really care, they know they'll get enough hungry NQT part timers to plug the gaps.

If anything they'll probably tighten up on contracts over the next few years as the student population falls.

In the world of education it's the case of 'eaten bread is soon forgotten'. Parents will be causing ructions for the odd Joe Duffy or two, but when their kids leave then who cares?

Nobody will bother to listen to teachers trying to represent NQTs or those in long term part-time contracts.

Only way to go is for Principal's to get annoyed, they have way more clout with politicians than any teachers unions.

But I would totally agree, the typical teacher being churned out now is largely white + female + middle class.

The vast majority of NQTs I know are still living at home with their parents as the cost of rent is a joke especially on unstable part time contracts.

This time of year VFT is flooded with disheartened job seekers.
    I know there's a certain few on here who say they mustn't be any good if they're not getting the interviews, but there's quite a lot who are saying they've put their heart and soul into their classes and popular amongst pupils, parents and principals but are not getting re-hired once the 2 years are up.

I always said the introduction of the 2 year CID would just exacerbate the churn.
    This 2 years suits the dept. and schools right down to the ground as they can dispose of teachers even earlier before the CID/Quota becomes an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Treppen wrote: »

But I would totally agree, the typical teacher being churned out now is largely white + female + middle class.

When was there a time when teachers in Ireland weren't white? Ireland has only become somewhat multicultural in the last 20 years. It takes a while for that cultural shift to be felt in areas such as public service as children work their way through our education system. If some of them leave school without a sufficient level of English (for a variety of reasons), they are going to have issues accessing third level, let alone teaching.

There's nothing stopping boys putting teaching on the CAO or applying for the PME with their degrees.

The cost of the PME probably is a barrier to those from low income families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

When was there a time when teachers in Ireland weren't white? Ireland has only become somewhat multicultural in the last 20 years. It takes a while for that cultural shift to be felt in areas such as public service as children work their way through our education system. If some of them leave school without a sufficient level of English (for a variety of reasons), they are going to have issues accessing third level, let alone teaching.

When I did the PME it was free + a grant on top! That removed a lot of barriers to entry in Dublin. I also manged to get regular subwork no problem and help pay the rent. Although it's just anecdotal from my experience I can safely say there was a very good mix of everything during my year.

Now who in their right mind could undertake the risk in dublin to rent for 2 years, pay the fees , pay the rent & hold down another job, and that's only to get the qualification.
    Unless they're been supplemented by parents it's a struggle for many non-middle class. Not saying it can't be done but they're barriers to entry that didn't exist for me and my class 13 years ago.

Also my kids have been through 3 different primary schools, Total number of teachers in all 3 schools which were male = 4
    All teachers 100% white
    All 100% Irish
    Never a Dublin accent to be heard either :pac:

There's nothing stopping boys putting teaching on the CAO or applying for the PME with their degrees.

There must be something stopping them! especially at primary anyway.

I'd swear if the genders were reversed there would be positive discrimination brought in in the morning.

Even in Primary the Majority of Principals are men (last time I checked) ! But yet there's no demand to address the imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah primary male teachers are few and far between, usually GAA players or from a Gaelteacht region. I took a 12 hour CID this year and only because the principal was fairly sure I would be happy to take that and not look for 22 hours in a year or two. Teaching is becoming fairly casualised and low CID contract hours only suit certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah ,by and large wealthy people .Working class Dublin vastly under represented in teaching in recent years (not that they were ever significant numbers wise ).Not a coincidence .Only Ogra FFG need apply !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Funny you should say that! I was actually in Ogra FF in college! What I found was a massive amount of farmers sons and daughters doing the PME and nearly all GAA people, same as myself. Its perfect in a rural school for teachers to be from that background but I would be at sea in inner city Dublin or Britain. I wouldnt take a job there tbh, I wouldnt enjoy that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

A lot of teachers especially in rural schools are from a typical GAA white middle class - hence why when trying to relocate home after 20 years after taking a job share job and promised I’d be given job again when teacher retired I didn’t get second year.A typical rural school with management who have links to the GAA. I got on well with students and staff in school - did well in a WSE inspection and worked unbelievably hard. When looked for feed back most of marks went on “ suitability” - little marks going for experience or qualifications. Found out a friend from someone on the BOM got job. I had no links and was seen as “unsuitable”.

I now work in an urban school with a huge number student/staff that really appreciate me - also we have more teachers that come from other countries. Unfortunately from my 20 years of teaching I would advise anyone who does not have strong GAA/sporting links or links to a certain school/s unless they wish to work in a large urban school.

Advertisement