Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We just need CM & a CF to come in who can start games without weakening us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm still in 2 minds about a CM coming in. Leaning towards wanting one to come in, rather than not come in, but it's not a screaming emergency this summer IMO. Next summer a CM will be the most important recruitment position as the age profile of the midfield will be quite old and a younger body will be needed to provide legs & energy. It will help freshen the team up also.

Currently, there are 8 CMs on the books - Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Ox, Jones & Grujic. I'd expect Grujic to leave, leaving 7 remaining. Is 7 CMs enough for a season? Yes. But then you look at the injury proneness of Hendo, Keita & Ox and that leaves 4, which includes Milner who is now 35 and at one end of his career while Jones is at the opposite end. 4 becomes very thin very quickly but surely there should be 4 or 5 fit at all times next season where the schedule is a bit more relaxed.

I do think a strong CF is a much more crucial position to recruit in this summer myself. Someone who can compete with Firmino and start ahead of him in some games but also be content with playing from the bench at times. A central Jota if you want. Someone who will eventually replace him but also be good enough to start 5 games in a row right now.

And then either an experienced RB who can do a job, or a young player hungry to try and win his place and provide cover.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'm still in 2 minds about a CM coming in. Leaning towards wanting one to come in, rather than not come in, but it's not a screaming emergency this summer IMO. Next summer a CM will be the most important recruitment position as the age profile of the midfield will be quite old and a younger body will be needed to provide legs & energy. It will help freshen the team up also.

Currently, there are 8 CMs on the books - Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Milner, Keita, Ox, Jones & Grujic. I'd expect Grujic to leave, leaving 7 remaining. Is 7 CMs enough for a season? Yes. But then you look at the injury proneness of Hendo, Keita & Ox and that leaves 4, which includes Milner who is now 35 and at one end of his career while Jones is at the opposite end. 4 becomes very thin very quickly but surely there should be 4 or 5 fit at all times next season where the schedule is a bit more relaxed.

I do think a strong CF is a much more crucial position to recruit in this summer myself. Someone who can compete with Firmino and start ahead of him in some games but also be content with playing from the bench at times. A central Jota if you want. Someone who will eventually replace him but also be good enough to start 5 games in a row right now.

And then either an experienced RB who can do a job, or a young player hungry to try and win his place and provide cover.

I think we need 2 to be honest

Gini was a machine in every squad bar one league cup game , he must be replaced,

Then we missed a bit of creative magic even when everyone was fit ,Can we get someone to fill that space

At times we had the same midfield week in week out for a period & had no options to refresh them

OX & Keita unreliable can't trust them at all to be fit or to perform none entities for me

Milner another year older,

Henderson , Thaigo , Fabhino all miss a few weeks injured per season,

The big problem is offloading the duds , So hard for big clubs to sell unwanted players these days because of there wages and long contracts ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Milner another year older,
    Milner made 26 league appearances last season, 15 were coming on as a sub, another 6 in Europe.

He's 35 but fitter than most 25 year old, it's the revovery times that will catch him up.
    He's more than capable of doing the same next season, maybe even a little more.

.red. wrote: »
    Milner made 26 league appearances last season, 15 were coming on as a sub, another 6 in Europe.

He's 35 but fitter than most 25 year old, it's the revovery times that will catch him up.
    He's more than capable of doing the same next season, maybe even a little more.

Just playing isn't enough though is it,
    As brilliant as Milner has been we now need better, no shame in saying that about a 35 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Milner may be fit (and we'll see it again in the pre-season videos) but he's clearly slowing down, slower moving around and slower/less mobile on the ball. Fitness will be the last to go, mobility and speed is on the wane. If anything with all the injuries at CB and CM (and playing them at CB) last season he should have played more.

League Cup, FA Cup, dead rubber CL group games and rotation, seeing out the last 15-20 minutes of games, and being a great influence at the club should be the role of 35 year old.

Gini was the only reliable CM (always fit and good enough) the last few years, he needs replacing.

Moving Milner to back up RB and signing a young energetic CM is definitely something I could get on board with.

I do think having Milner in the match day squad is very underrated, especially if the likes of Henderson or VVD are missing from it. Gini will be a loss in terms of on pitch leaders too. I think this is one area where TAA needs to begin to step up too. No rush but it certainly would be nice. It's his natural progression as he probably is going to be club captain in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brazil beat Peru 1-0 to reach the Copa final.

Fab came on as a sub for the last 5 minutes.

Ali & Bobby unused subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Brazil beat Peru 1-0 to reach the Copa final.

Fab came on as a sub for the last 5 minutes.

Ali & Bobby unused subs.

Most likely it’ll be Argentina that they’ll meet in the final - should be spicy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just playing isn't enough though is it,
    As brilliant as Milner has been we now need better, no shame in saying that about a 35 year old
    Agreed. It was noticeable how much slower Milner's recovery was last season.

During the Henderson at centre back phase of the season when Fabinho was injured, the midfield trio was Wijnaldum, Thiago and Milner for a period of games. Milner played the full game against Tottenham and three days later he looked out of it against West Ham. He was replaced by Curtis Jones and things immediately changed. Jones assisted Salah for 1-0 and we went on to win the game comfortably. Three days later Milner started again against Fulham and the team was devoid of energy in midfield.

Milner gives everything on the pitch and he's a tremendous asset in terms of the experience he brings to the group but we cannot expect him to deliver the required performance level for an extended period at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I presume Matip will be, but do we know if VVD and Gomez will be straight into team training for pre-season or are they still continuing rehab alone?

This might also reduce the number of players available for first game or two. And tbh, I'm happy enough with those players missing a week or two provided they get a decent rest. Short term pain, long term gain.

The likes of Milner, Ox, Keita, Konate, Salah, Mane, TAA etc were always going to be more likely to start the opening couple of games anyways having the summer away from a tournament.

https://twitter.com/dmlynch/status/1412354567564636165

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Could look something like

Kelleher
    TAA--Gomez-VVD-Tsimikas
    Milner
    Keita---Jones
    ---AOC--Salah--Mane

I'd be fine with that.

Bit light on the bench.

-Adrian, Konate, Davies, Matip, Minamino, Origi, ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Gbear wrote: »
    Could look something like

Kelleher
    TAA--Gomez-VVD-Tsimikas
    Milner
    Keita---Jones
    ---AOC--Salah--Mane

I'd be fine with that.

Bit light on the bench.

-Adrian, Konate, Davies, Matip, Minamino, Origi, ?

Jota, Robertson?

I could see Elliott getting a game against Norwich while the club decides if they will keep him or loan him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jota, Robertson?

If they're giving the internationals extra time off, I would assume those for Portugal and Scotland would be included.

Hendo & Thiago will be back and ready nether played much at all,

Henderson will raring to get going again

If they're giving the internationals extra time off, I would assume those for Portugal and Scotland would be included.

I presume it'd go from when they finished up though, no?

Like, the Brazilian lads are all still playing, while Robertson has already been on holidays for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It's only 5 players according to the article though:

Hendo, Thiago, Fab, Alisson, Bobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fabinho must be under appreciated by the Brazil manager if he is behind Fred in the pecking order, bit baffling but good for us I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I presume it'd go from when they finished up though, no?

Like, the Brazilian lads are all still playing, while Robertson has already been on holidays for 2 weeks.

If any player needed an extra few days off it's Robertson, whether or not Scotland went out early. He's been at full pelt since he came into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Interesting to compare Thiago and Shaq at the Euros, and how they performed this last year or 2 for Liverpool.

Thiago has been excellent for Liverpool, looked in control at all times, relaxed and dictated games. As a bit player in the Spain side now, he's struggled to get the tempo of games, has forced passes and shots, and his timing had been off.

On the other hand Shaq has been brilliant for the Swiss, in control and dictated many aspects of the game. As a bit part for Liverpool, he's often been rushed and almost tries too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Nice peno for Thiago :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thiago with an absolute boss of a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Interesting to compare Thiago and Shaq at the Euros, and how they performed this last year or 2 for Liverpool.

Thiago has been excellent for Liverpool, looked in control at all times, relaxed and dictated games. As a bit player in the Spain side now, he's struggled to get the tempo of games, has forced passes and shots, and his timing had been off.

On the other hand Shaq has been brilliant for the Swiss, in control and dictated many aspects of the game. As a bit part for Liverpool, he's often been rushed and almost tries too hard.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

:(

What's wrong?

Thiago played a handful of games before getting injured, most notably in the win against Chelsea at the Bridge.

We then we're without him until January and there was a six week - eight week period where the whole team struggled to put it mildly.

Was very good the last three months of the season.

There was a remarkable amount of flop talk from rival fans on boards.ie concentrated within this 6-8 week period with zero allowance for him coming back from injury, the squad injury issues etc.

I think that active number of posts is effecting some people's memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Looks like Alisson has lost his place to Ederson.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

noodler wrote: »
    What's wrong?

Thiago played a handful of games before getting injured, most notably in the win against Chelsea at the Bridge.

We then we're without him until January and there was a six week - eight week period where the whole team struggled to put it mildly.

Was very good the last three months of the season.

There was a remarkable amount of flop talk from rival fans on boards.ie concentrated within this 6-8 week period with zero allowance for him coming back from injury, the squad injury issues etc.

I think that active number of posts is effecting some people's memories.

He had his excuses such as injury/being played out of position/No Fabinho but up until the last 5 games of the season he was absolutely rubbish.

He has certainly not been excellent and looked in control at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He had his excuses such as injury/being played out of position/No Fabinho but up until the last 5 games of the season he was absolutely rubbish.

When you essentially don't start your Liverpool career until January die to injury I'm not sure that can be labelled as an excuse.

He was particularly good the last five games of the season but he was very good for the last 15+.

AdrianG08 wrote: »

Hard to know, Tite has been heavily rotating the squad. All 3 keepers have started throughout the Copa so far. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Alisson play the final.

So it could be that Ederson played the last 2 because he's first choice now, or it could be cause both other keepers had played since Ederson previously got the nod - so kind of snaking the order. They're spoilt for choice in goal anyway, so it's all much of a muchness.

• Advertisement

Every time he played in the position he was bought for, he's been great. When he's been played in a deeper holding 6 role when both Henderson and Fabinho were missing he's not been great.

That's all stuff I can live with, seeing as if he's put in that position again, it'll be because we've got much bigger things to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

AdrianG08 wrote: »

probably want to bring him off the bench if they're 0-1 down and struggling to score

The Boys from Brazil face Argentina in the Copa final after beat Colombia on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Are we back to this thread?

Or the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can we ban the new boards?

i have no idea what I am doing but I'm attempting to use the new boards... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sorry, accidentally flagged your post as spam, and again as abuse. And I reported it too.

Just cannot get the hang of these new features.

*Pacman emoji goes here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think it's lovely, first of the Nike one's I have given a second glance to be honest, they have a nice coloured rugby top on the site also which I thought was nice....

https://store.liverpoolfc.com/lfc-nike-mens-red-rugby-jersey-21-22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's a few nice bits there. I tend to get the training jumpers rather than jerseys now.

• Advertisement

I haven't got any of the new Nike jerseys myself, but yeah some of the training gear is quite decent....

I like the retro stuff they do, I got a nice Shankly style jacket off it that is quality...

Konate firing at Karius in training, remember him? 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I posted earlier but it's not here in this thread. So two threads going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hows the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What an utterly horrible garment that linked one is. Just like the egg chasing nonsense it's based on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Liverpool get their pre-season friendly schedule under way in rather unusual fashion, starting on Tuesday July 20 with two 30-minute 'mini-games', against Austrian Second Division outfit FC Wacker Innsbruck and German Bundesliga side Stuttgart, whom they faced in a 90-minute fixture last summer.

Those games will be played behind-closed-doors, with the first game contested in front of supporters to be played against another Bundesliga side, Klopp's old club Mainz, at the 3,500-capacity Greisbergers Betten-Arena in the town of Grodig on Friday July 23.

Six days later comes another test against German opposition, Hertha Berlin, at the 15,000-capacity Tivoli Stadium in Innsbruck on Thursday July 29.

Games can be streamed live exclusively on LFC TV GO. More fixtures are expected to be announced in due course.

Which players are involved in Liverpool's pre-season?

Klopp has named a 34-man squad for the training camp, with a mix of first-teamers, fringe players and young prospects all involved.

Doesn't sound like a proper preseason, they must have other games lined up before we face Norwich.

I'm an aul lad, I'm too fat for jersey's these days... 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Same. Seems to have disappeared. Teething problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

One of them should be locked.

Wondering if we're still limited to the 10k posts per thread with the new platform?

World certainly be less messy if we've could have one thread per season.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I hope this is the case, the whole idea of getting rid of the vBulletin software was for legacy stuff like this to not require as much administration...

• Advertisement

I'm praying we bring in two more players a new attacker & a new midfielder,

We can't go into another season with Origi as our back up striker,

Advertisement