Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Barty strolls through the first set, as predicted.

I don't know if it was on the original schedule (probably not), but there's a women's doubles match on after this: Gauff/McNally vs Vesnina/Kudermetova. They couldn't have the men churning up the precious Centre Court turf in a 5-set doubles match. A 3-set doubles match involving Gauff makes a whole lot of sense to fill up the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

All falling into place for Federer, what a joke ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Still be surprised if he got to the final, probably better for his own sake he doesn't as Djokovic would murder him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd be surprised if Berrettini doesn't beat him out the gate. Ye but things tend to fall into place for him, particularly at Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Tomljanovic getting fairly schooled here.....

she'd be more suited to volleyball or netball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Turned up the aggression a notch there Tomljanovic but where was it for first set and three quarters? Far too little too late.

I'd be surprised if Berrettini doesn't beat him out the gate. Ye but things tend to fall into place for him, particularly at Wimbledon.

Berretini is seeded to meet Djokovic in semis,

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Still be surprised if he got to the final, probably better for his own sake he doesn't as Djokovic would murder him!

Don't know, he should, but he barely beat him in 2019 and I just think luck can only take you so far, this is his last chance at any slam, and I just think the tennis gods are gonna make it happen.

Djokovic has a good few more chances...

Barty very good at diplomatically lying through her teeth, saying how great "Tommo" is.

The crowd were very pleased to hear the announcement about the extra match.

klr87 wrote: »
    Barty very good at diplomatically lying through her teeth, saying how great "Tommo" is.

The crowd were very pleased to hear the announcement about the extra match.

what extra match ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Berretini is seeded to meet Djokovic in semis,

Are you sure? I thought that was the winner of the Shapovalov match?

what extra match ?
    Women's doubles: Gauff/McNally vs Vesnina/Kudermetova. Only a show court is good enough for Gauff ovbviously.

Meanwhile, the top women's seeds (Krejickova/Siniakova) are having to battle the wind and rain on an unroofed outer court.

Are you sure? I thought that was the winner of the Shapovalov match?
    Correct: Djokovic vs Shap, and Fed. vs FAA/Berrettini are the likely SF matches:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles#Finals

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Women's doubles: Gauff/McNally vs Vesnina/Kudermetova. Only a show court is good enough for Gauff ovbviously.

Meanwhile, the top women's seeds (Krejickova/Siniakova) are having to battle the wind and rain on an unroofed outer court.

Completely agree. They need to have rules for who they put on show courts and not hide behind 'complex scheduling issues'...

Don't know, he should, but he barely beat him in 2019 and I just think luck can only take you so far, this is his last chance at any slam, and I just think the tennis gods are gonna make it happen.

Djokovic has a good few more chances...

Federer probably should have won that one alright, but, in the 2 years since, Djokovic is still playing at a similar level, but, Federer's level has clearly dropped. I think it would reflect very poorly on the current crop of players if Federer did make the final and for a very lopsided final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well she is a fellow compatriot, and anyway what else can she say

"oh i think she's cr@p and should take up hairdressing" :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Federer probably should have won that one alright, but, in the 2 years since, Djokovic is still playing at a similar level, but, Federer's level has clearly dropped. I think it would reflect very poorly on the current crop of players if Federer did make the final and for a very lopsided final.

He has an excellent chance of making the semis and considering he'll be 40 next month that probably says enough about the current crop already.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really pleased with the women's SF line-up, particularly after the tripe we ended up with in Paris. The current world #1, two former #1's plus the #2 seed is a very good showing. Both matches will be worth watching. Whoever wins it'll be a great story and they'll all be worthy winners.

Barty: World #1 vying for her second slam. Took a bit of flak for sitting out most of last year whilst all her points were safe. Returned this year and has mostly owned her ranking.

Sabalenka: #2 seed who's been a prospect for years and always tipped as a future grand slam winner. Has won plenty of big titles but always failed to make her mark at the slams when it matters most. Would be quite fitting for her to get past the fourth round for the first time by going the whole way and winning it all.

Kerber: A former world #1, former Wimbledon champion and three-time grand slam winner. With rumours abound this could be her final year on tour, ending her career with four grand slams would be some achievement.

Pliskova: Once faced similar struggles at the slams like Sabalenka did, but is now one of the few active players to have made the SF's of all four slams. Has always had the talent but perhaps lacked the killer instinct, would be great for her to get the slamless #1 monkey off her back.

Would be relatively happy with either outcome, but think I'm rooting for Sabalenka to beat Barty in the final now. Their rivalry has been ripening nicely for a quite some time, and at 4 match wins apiece, what better way to settle it than in the Wimbledon final? Hope Sabalenka can get it done.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh seems we're back. Well Barty and Djokovic had a good Wimbledon anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

well, either than or everyone else had a particularly bad one...

very few good matches on the mens side, looked to be more interesting stuff going on on the womens side from what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Well done Djokovic, pity the site was down last weekend, lots of sport to chat about, I wonder will Djokovic get the USO now ?

Wouldn't surprise me if he fell at that last hurdle

Didn't think much of the women's final tbh. Barty still leaves me cold as a player, don't know what it is but just can't get invested in her at all.

The men's final was actually quite decent in spite of the inevitable result. Liked the partisan crowd too 😂

Will be interesting to see who actually shows up for the Olympics, they're dropping like flies all the time. Even Djokovic has said he might not show up due to the latest round of restrictions announced. He's not happy with no fans, the quarantine arrangements and not being allowed watch other sports. I dunno, surely he'd stick it out for the week or ten days to have the chance of making a huge piece of history?

Not a Nadal fan but actually rooting for him at the US Open. I'd like him to lead the alltime list, even if it's just for a few months. Think most of us assumed he would after Roland Garros!

Goatovic did it again.

He looked a bit under pressure in the final I thought actually as the weight of the plan for the year was felt.

e.g. losing the first set when he had it in the bag.

Berrettini made too many silly shot choices though in the end to really trouble him.

U.S Open should be interesting.

Federer still breaking records though as the first former champion to go out in three sets with a bagel to finish.

I suppose that he took it on the chin in a philosophical manner.

Mind you it was demonstrated yet again that some of his "fans" are amongst the biggest idiots about.

This attempt to put off Hurkacz (2:58 in the video) in the middle of a big point in the tie-break with a maniacal scream is frankly outrageous.

In the end seemed to affect Federer more (maybe contributed to his dodgy knee wobble)

Well done Djokovic, it was fairly obvious he was going to win it, but, Berrettini actually did better than I thought. Novak has a great opportunity to do the golden slam now.

Federer looks finished, also pulled out of the Olympics so we might've seen the last of him completely.

Congrats to Barty too, thought that the final never really got going. Don't really care one way or another for Barty, agree with yerwanthere123, something about her just leaves me cold too.

Can't say i am immediatley warming to the new site here, seems harded to filter down through topics :(

Id be surprised if Djokovic plays the Olympics, i'd also be surprised if he dosen't...so lets park that. Nadal is ging to have a right crack off the US Open, I am assuming that the organisers are going to serendipitously end up with himself and Djokovic on opposite sides of the draw. Imagine a Nadal Djokovic final with both the first-to-21 and the calendar slam on the line? i'd probably stay up for that.

Think Federer will definitely play on for a little bit anyway, will probably make a decision of some form at the end of the season.

He'd be kicking himself if he didn't play New York and then someone manages to take out Djokovic and Nadal. Obviously no guarantee he'd win it even then, but you never know.

The end is in sight though and even he knows it too. The language was all very negative after his defeat, couldn't even confirm he'd be playing Wimbledon next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Didn't see much of Wimbledon with work and the Euros.

Djokovic looked like he had a very easy run to the final, playing one seeded player to get to the semis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If it plays as quick as last year, I think he'll plays it as his last US. It won't suit Nadal, and someone could take ND out early. Same for the AO, farewell tour. Maybe one last Halle and Wimbledon.

If you think about Nadal had a bit of an advantage in the Slam race in the past year, he has had two French Open opportunities in the past 12 months, Djokovic (or indeed Federer) only had one Wimbledon....

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if Djokovic opts out of the Olympics, given that he's never won the Gold, and he has a chance for a calendar "Golden Slam", never achieved by a man, although Graf did it in 1998. He is unlikely to have anywhere near as good a chance to win Olympic Gold in 2024, assuming he's still playing. But then he can be a contrary so-and-so, The only logical reason he might have to pull out is if he thinks it would improve his chances of winning the USO, which is only his 3rd best slam, and the most "open" of the men's slams in the Big 3 era.

Back to Wimbledon: The 3 finals in a row on Saturday were all enjoyable, especially the Women's doubles. I never thought Djokovic was in danger against Berrettini, and he could and probably should have won it in straight sets.

Advertisement