Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Interview with John Petrie
    https://youtu.be/ZXx38SQtSVM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I always though Timoney could try to emulate what simmonds does for Exeter. Although i suspect Simmonds does not need to do as much no8 grunt work as he has a great pack around him.
    Timoney is listed as taller and heavier than simmonds....although probably just as fast.

Issue is that Ulster don't have a Dave Ewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Thought Sheridan had his best performance yet against England for the U20s. Played with aggro; tough and physical. Starting to wonder if he could be a blindside with a bit of dog in him.

Didn't see the game vs Japan - sounds like no-one really covered themselves in glory.

Thought Sheridan had his best performance yet against England for the U20s. Played with aggro; tough and physical. Starting to wonder if he could be a blindside with a bit of dog in him.

Didn't see the game vs Japan - sounds like no-one really covered themselves in glory.

Indeed, Sheridan impressed me so far. Could be really handy for Ulster going forward and would expect him to get bigger and better. Not sure he’s getting the plaudits he deserves stuck in the row for U20s.

Between Sheridan and McCann we have some decent depth at blindside developing. Shame there both not 2 years further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not really. Keenan and Van Der Flier had decent games. Stockdale and McCloskey both scored tries but that was about it in fact Stockdale barely touched the ball in the first half. To be fair I still think beating Japan was a decent result all things considered.

• Advertisement

Henderson to skipper the Lions against the Sharks.

Great achievement.

bilston wrote: »
    Henderson to skipper the Lions against the Sharks.

Great achievement.

Delighted for him, and hopefully he gets a chance to shine in the full international team this tour. Very arguable he should have last time out.

Wiehan Herbst lining out for the Sharks.

Hendo captaining the Lions.

7 Ulster starters in the U20s, a couple of which are U19.

All we need is first caps for a couple of O'Toole, Timoney, Hume or Baloucoune and that's a cracking week for Ulster Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Hendo captaining the Lions.

7 Ulster starters in the U20s, a couple of which are U19.

All we need is first caps for a couple of O'Toole, Timoney, Hume or Baloucoune and that's a cracking week for Ulster Rugby.

And Ulster aren't playing this weekend to ruin it all.

• Advertisement

And Ulster aren't playing this weekend to ruin it all.

BOOM. Headshot.

And we're back in the room.

Delighted for the new Irish caps. I know it was a fairly poor US performance, and I know they went down to 14. But still - you can only play what's in front of you.

Really pleased for the lad that Timoney got a cap, but I don't think he'll see many more, if any. He has worked hard, and he didn't look particularly out of place, but there's a lot of competition in the Irish back row. O'Toole showed off his skills, his engine and was solid in the scrum. Baloucoune looked every bit as good as we thought he would. Thought Hume looked very comfortable as well, and he has some great passes on him. I think he will have done himself no harm at all. Composed, got on the outside a couple of times, took two US players to put him down a few times.

For the U20s, thought Doak looked to the manor born. So clued in. He was at rucks as if by magic. He and Kendellan absolute stand outs. Humphreys looked markedly unimpressive, as did McKee. Moxham was okay. Decent if limited showings for Carson, Saunderson, Postlethwaite, Crothers. Impressed with Sheridan, who seems to have a fair bit of fight in him. Looked unfazed when up against opposition second rows (and some back rows) who had a good few inches and kg on him. Thought he was more consistent and influential against England than the much-vaunted Soroka, to be honest. Exactly the sort of player Ulster need, although we need him further along in his development pretty urgently.

Apparently the only players not fit and raring to go are Cooney, McGrath and Izzy.

Hope Hendo gets his full B&I Lions caps this time out. But he's going to be banjaxed next season. It has been such a long one and he's played a fair few games on this tour already.

U20s was fun, lots to unpack.

Doak certainly the standout for us, and in a position of need as well which is great. He looked very very nervous to me in his senior debut, but he showed what he's capable of. He made a few mistakes and I'm not as enamoured as others were, but he has a good pass and a great boot which is all we really need when we're going into next season with shanahan as out no.2 option. McKee didn't show much apart from his rucking skills. Not really a problem when we have Doak and Finlay already in the academy.

I try not to be too down on age-grade players in general, but I was very unimpressed by Humphreys. He just didn't look like a lad that's ready for that level. Tackling was woeful, kicking poor, didn't show anything that made me think 'that's probably why he's in the academy.' The team getting better immediately every time he left the field wasn't a great look.

Moxham was fine, he's a good athlete that backs himself and hits hard. In his senior/A game time I always thought he was bit headless going in for tackles out wide, but he seemed much better at timing the hits during the tournament. He wasn't tested much, but it would be huge for him if he has that down. I think the main criticism is that he doesn't seem to be a high IQ player and wasn't too reassuring under the high ball, and those sorts of players don't usually work out unless you're an exceptional athlete. But he's the sort of player I'm happy to take a chance on when we have the wingers we have in the squad. Rankin got very little minutes which isn't great. Seems like the ulster and Ireland coaches preferred Moxham, which makes that two players that have leapfrogged him after entering the academy after him. His leg was strapped though, so could have been an injury.

Very happy with Sheridan. Everyone (me included) probably wishes he had a slightly bigger frame he could fill out over time, but I've seen larger second rows shy away from the physical stuff before. He made yards against a bigger england pack that he had no right to make. He'll have those games every now and again for us where we wished he was bigger I reckon, but the main thing is he's probably the best 2nd row prospect we're had since henderson. I think he's more promising that any of the young forwards we have bar stewart and maybe Mccann. If Izzy could come back in decent shape then we're rolling. I was worried about Crother's size coming into the tournament but he didn't put a foot wrong and made his tackles well. Looking forward to seeing what he's up to next year.

Didn't think carson was great. Looks too small to be a centre who's game relies on the physical stuff. I was more interested in Postlewaithe, who's back next year as well. He's not the quickest but he's big and had some very eye catching runs and hits. Not sure why he's not in the academy yet.

Moxham was a bit disappointing, but he started playing rugby five years ago. I'm happy to give him a bit more time.

I also thought he did one thing consistently well which was come off his defensive line hard and snuff out overlaps.

Meant to say, I also noticed that when the camera cut to Farrell after the game, he was chatting with Lowry. Hopefully Mike is making an impression.

Sheridan was the stand out, just went about his business. Still think his future is blindside with the odd 2nd row game in dire straights.

Crothers has another year as well?

Saunderson is a monster of a man, but got mullered in the scrum a few times.

Forgot about saunderson. Showed up well enough in open play against france, but I cringed watching the scrums. Surely he's 3 or 4 years away from being allowed onto the field with ulster? I'd honestly be concerned for his safety.

Yea crothers, carson and Jude all have another year. Not sure who else to expect to be around the squad from ulster, I know a few names that I've seen once or twice but any year below this crop is mostly a mystery to me.

It’s really hard to know with COVID etc. Just how much help he has had from Ulster, going forward hopefully Dan can get him on track, he’s done really well with O’Toole.

Stewart, Sheridan and Doak seem to be the three Ulster prospects from this age group, Stewart and Doak look to be A* pupils.

Hopefully Crothers and Postelwaite step up next season.

We'll hopefully find out in the next few months who to look out for in the next age group.

Would like to see Lewis Finlay start featuring this season as well. Though he looked very good last U20s. MotM against Wales, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Humphreys was very poor! I was very disappointed. Moxham certainly has the athleticism and physique. He could be a good player. McKee is not a scrum half! He didn't look comfortable. I suppose he could improve and be a depth type player. Postlethwaite looks like a keeper. Big strong lad that's only 19. Very impressive. Sheridan was great! A bit small but very willing. Kind of like AOC! He could do a job at 6. I reckon he'll be a fixture in the Ulster team soon.

Doak was impressive! Serious potential. I think he will be an international player. Very good prospect. Sanderson needs time! Could progress if given an academy spot. Very big lad and has room to learn. Crothers while impressive, is very light. Maybe he could switch to openside. Carson has another year of eligibility and the jury is out on him.

Overall, Ulster have some good talent and a couple of lads that could impress if they got the right coaching.

Would be good to see him get a few games, he seems quite Marshallesque. Could be a decent squad player.

Second row at Wallace and possibly a 10 at Ballymena? Might have been you that mentioned the Wallace second row in the past, or maybe it was the Leinster fan who seems to change his username constantly but has a decent knowledge of age group rugby.

Don't think I would've mentioned him by name, but yea he was involved with Ireland u18's. Ballymena had a good 9/10 pair last year or two seasons ago. The scrumhalf was around the Ireland camps along with a prop and second row I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Wonder if we could target Rodrigo Bruni for a short term deal. 110kg no8, potm twice against wales and currently playing proD2 for Vannes

Is there a reason he's playing for Vannes? The Jaguares breaking up, just?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

No idea to be fair. I'd never heard of him til recently.

I am excited to see timoney come on the next few seasons but my heart cries out for a *superstar* back rower to come in and light up. Maybe we've been spoilt having gone from Wilson- wannenburg-nick w- coetzee but every single one was outstanding for us and it'd be nice to continue that tradition

In fairness, there's a lot of territory between Wilson and an on-song Nick W or Coetzee.

I don't think we need a superstar (although one would be most welcome!) We just need a heavyweight carrier. We have a load of well-skilled, fast players with good engines. We need a wrecking ball.

• Advertisement

Claremont and Northampton in Europe.

Okay then.

Advertisement