Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

• 15-07-2021 5:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As previously reported, Valve is launching a portable Steam console / Switch-like.

Looks like a nice bit of kit, but certainly on the pricey side - €419 for the cheapest, €549 / €679 for the ones with actual storage - and the price doesn't include the dock.

Definitely keen to see a robust tech analysis of the performance we can expect, mind you - definitely something I'd be interested in in theory, but all depends on performance.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This looks very interesting, and it is running steam os. So I guess that is good for Linux adoption, and you can dock it like the switch and have a full functional PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But can it run Crysis?

I was looking at the specs, but I'm not exactly someone who can translate them. Anyone with better knowledge able to give an idea of quality to be expected when playing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is this going to be streaming games rather than download and play?

512gb is nothing if it can play Control et all

A hands on.

I'm sure it won't be easy to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Looks great for little indies on the go.

Steep price to pay though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don’t think it’s aimed at streaming, seems to all run from the hardware. The 64gb model in particular would be incredibly limited storage wise without a big SD card.

IGN have a few performance tidbits: https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-hands-on-impressions-details-valve-handheld-gaming-pc

Targets ‘medium to high’ settings at 720p for games like Control. No indication if that’s 30 or 60 FPS. Also it’s just a camera pointed at a screen, but the Death Stranding footage looks fairly iffy on that monitor. Could be a perfectly solid handheld, but perhaps rather underpowered by even last gen console standards for a docked experience. As said, likely will shine as a handheld for indies that can play AAA titles ‘well enough’ on the go.

It does at least allow other game stores to be installed, which is a big bonus - maybe best treated as a portable PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm going to try to get one. The €549 model seems like the sweet-spot - 64gb is too small.

That ign video compared it to PS4/XBox One specs. Maybe a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Much more impressed with it than I though I would be.

Since it runs Google Chrome, that means you can stream both Xbox and Stadia in the browser and get next Gen quality games running on a switch sized machine without any concern for storage space. Xbox have just bumped their cloud to use series X too.

Day 1 purchase. If I can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Very tempted by this I have to say. Pc games from the couch sounds great!

I got the steam link before and was a bit disappointed with it. Only seemed to work half the time for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im the opposite I have no interest in this and I **** loved the steam link, Steamlink is a tablet.....i can play my steam games on any tablet anywhere as it is, I was hoping Steam would make it better I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Looks like reservations start at 6pm this evening. One per account.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Tempted to get this myself , don't have a pc build , but have ps5 , series X and switch.

So kinda feel it'd pointless but looking at the specs and the potential for emulation looks great . Put my email in would defo go for the 540 one think 64gb is not enough storage

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It's very decently powered for a handheld. From all accounts I've seen online it seems to be at least base ps4 level. I'm pretty sure this is going to relegate my Switch to a 1st party only machine. Can also install any other store on it too, so that's a sizeable library of games available to me on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

I kinda feel like that was intentional, have a crappy low end model and a pretty expensive highend model to nudge people towards the middle option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Have you all made a purchase on Steam before last month? :thisiswherepacwouldhavegone:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Yeah I think I bought star wars collection back in 2017 played that and before that I bought shadowrun and dragonfall I played it on my **** laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought it was going to be a Google Stadia competitor which would be a seriously good idea if it was compatible with the Steam catalog when I first saw it but apparently not, thats very 2010 both the concept and the looks.

That B button doesnt seem to be in a very comfortable spot either, its falling off the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Same, I thought it would be a device that could stream your steam library on the go. So was initially a bit disappointed when this turned out not to be the case (how fast would the hardware become obsolete for example).

However, after watching the IGN videos, I'm very impressed, essentially a portable gaming PC, they are also doubling down on their mouse like pad they used for the Steam controller which is interesting. A battery life of 2-8hrs is quite a wide range but understandable given what it may have playing it.

For me the best option of the 3 is the base 64gb model using the Micro-SD card to expand memory, You can pick up a 512gb Micro-SD card from a quality brand for less than €100 these days.

BUt the big thing that stills to be determined in my opinion is how comfortable is it to use over an extended period of time, IGN seem positive but would need more real world opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They say you can get about 4 hours of Portal running at 720p 60fps out of the battery. That isn't a lot. It sounds like loads but from my time with the OG switch, you would be surprised how quickly that 4 hours pass.

GeoForce Now might be an option to Stream your Steam games from the cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm going to put in a reservation anyways. Looking at the steam you can buy hardware with your steam wallet so I should be able to buy steam credit using a one4all voucher I got from work to offset most of the price.

I've had devices in the past that were similar like a windows 8 tablet that had a detachable controller and a gpd win but there was always some sort of serious flaw with them. Hopefully something from a big company like valve will be more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Is there any reason why this couldn't act like a steam link too?

I'm sure that it will be able to do streaming also - it's a no brainer.

Fair dues to Valve for trying to give pc gaming a handheld offline option - I hope that it succeeds.

Certainly blows the existing niche players in the market out of the water.

Some interesting points here

6pm when reservations go live. Really think it's the perfect machine for me right now, especially as I no longer have any kind of gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,271 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Where do you get Steam credit using a One4All voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got in and out relatively easy. My reservation was stuck on 'working' during the checkout but I got a receipt emailed through and then it just clicked.

Seems like Steam is being hammered right now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Mine was stuck on working for ages. Then gave me an error. Kept going in and out and getting the error when paying each time. Now it's telling me I've tried to make too many purchases and to wait.

Disappointed

Advertisement