Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should NPHET be disbanded ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And it speaks of others mentality that people being subsidised by the government while they are asked to keep their businesses closed are deemed to be the most adversely affected rather than the people who have died and their loved ones who are left to grieve them.

You really haven't a clue what you are on about...there are thousands of businesses who are not going to survive, the subsidies will have to stop at some point.

They are not being asked to do any such thing, they are being forced to, no other in the country in the world is subjecting businesses to that force.

I also trust you will have the same sympathy for the thousands that will die prematurely over the coming years from the Cancer's and Heart disease cases we have virtually ignored.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only in this country could we find a way to sneer at people who's businesses, hard work and investment have been cast under a bus by excessive restrictions...the harshest in the world at that...because our "experts" have decided that every other expert in the world is wrong!!!

We're a lovely bunch aren't we, sure we are all in it together!!!

They're not the harshest in the world, far from it in fact. Were on a par with most of Europe, just everywhere has had restrictions at different times.

Were directly affected by Boris and his let the world burn policies too more than most other places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only in this country could we find a way to sneer at people who's businesses, hard work and investment have been cast under a bus by excessive restrictions...the harshest in the world at that...because our "experts" have decided that every other expert in the world is wrong!!!

They're not the harshest in the world, far from it in fact. Were on a par with most of Europe, just everywhere has had restrictions at different times.

Were directly affected by Boris and his let the world burn policies too more than most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A lovely bunch, or a bunch of touchy dears who get offended by posts in a dumb thread?

Weepsie wrote: »

Ok, maybe you will show me another nation that has put as many people out of work as we have? I've asked before and no one can point to one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Weepsie wrote: »

No, we are not. Europe has opened a long time ago. They are hosting f...k Euro-cup! Austria GP had 30000 spectators.

v2_large_f14779486ec7c19d12cd9941f23967576f523569.jpg

We are lagging behind with the HSE hack a perfect excuse to everything. We are three weeks behind the Covid cert... :|

I'm not a fan of Boris, but he at least has guts to do what needs to be done. Leo had huge guts at the time to close the country - we didn't know what we're dealing with and that is what needed to happend. Now we need similar leader to stand up.

UK policy is to go through the Delta when it is summer. It is either now, or spend another year in captivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

You really haven't a clue what you are on about...
    Nphet will never allow society to fully reopen, that much is clear...

I'm in good company so...

As for your "think of the other victims" bit, how do you know I haven't already lost a close relative to an undiagnosed cancer since this whole thing began?

I'm in good company so...

As for your "think of the other victims" bit, how do you know I haven't already lost a close relative to an undiagnosed cancer since this whole thing began?

We all have lost people to suicide and other non lock down related deaths, including people with undiagnosed cancer....what's your point?

And it speaks of others mentality that people being subsidised by the government while they are asked to keep their businesses closed are deemed to be the most adversely affected rather than the people who have died and their loved ones who are left to grieve them.

Cut out the sentimental rubbish. You didn't give a F**k about the 1000+ people who died of the regular flu in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Cut out the sentimental rubbish. You didn't give a F**k about the 1000+ people who died of the regular flu in 2019.

Nobody cared. Because that's how things were, that is normal. Now magnitude less are in hospital for COVID and that's national emergency.

People will keep dying for COVID, for flu, cancer and for diarrhea. As a country we should stop focusing on the first one and have a balanced approach. That COVID obsession might cost more lives long term somewhere else.

• Advertisement

I object to people claiming that "the most adversely affected" in society is a ****ing publican who is receiving supports rather than people who have died or will die. That poster doesn't care either, but you didn't bother to point out his sentimental rubbish.

We all have lost people to suicide and other non lock down related deaths, including people with undiagnosed cancer....what's your point?

You ask me did I care about it, now you're telling me that everyone has lost someone so who cares? Do you even have a point anymore?

is_that_so wrote: »
    I love the way 4 words are "calling for something". I'm perfectly aware what NHPET are, so a wasted supercilious lecture/rant. I'm also aware that they got input or advice at the very beginning, from non-medical people. Not doing so leaves people, even experts, at risk of massive selection bias.
    There is no one way to do this and it is perfectly acceptable to question how NPHET went about our strategy and whether there were flaws in it.

You clearly don't so again, why would we put an economist on a medical health advise committee?

I object to people claiming that "the most adversely affected" in society is a ****ing publican who is receiving supports rather than people who have died or will die. That poster doesn't care either, but you didn't bother to point out his sentimental rubbish.
    You ask me did I care about it, now you're telling me that everyone has lost someone so who cares? Do you even have a point anymore?

You are getting a little too upset, I'll not be engaging with you anymore.

We have done more economic damage to people in hospitality than most other industries, there isn't anything even remotely untrue about that, but I won't get sucked into a pointless emotive argument about deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

No definitely not. They are doing a great job imo.
    What should be disbanded are the bunch of cretins moaning and bitching about nphet every single day in the comments section of journal.ie

No doubt you've a nice cushy job and are completely unaffected financially the last year and abit

We have done more economic damage to people in hospitality than most other industries, there isn't anything even remotely untrue about that, but I won't get sucked into a pointless emotive argument about deaths.

If that's what you meant, then that's what you should have said but you didn't, you claimed they suffered the most, not economically the most, just "the most".

Anyway, good luck with your crusade to get rid of experts, I'm sure it will serve the country well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ok, maybe you will show me another nation that has put as many people out of work as we have? I've asked before and no one can point to one.

Name another country that has poured as much money into supporting those affected?

In Spain hospitality has been decimated. No PUP, no government support whatsoever.

And guess what? No NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A definite No, throughout this pandemic NPHET (Not individuals who've been vilified in quite an appalling manner) have been the most consistent of any organisation dealing with the pandemic. Senior HSE officials have side stepped ever failing, Government all over the place, Representative bodies / Vested interests acted appallingly and continue to do.

The We're in this Together cliché long forgotten.

There's a S*** storm ahead, both financially and medically and I feel mostly concerned for anyone on a waiting list let alone actually trying to get basic care in hospital departments at the moment, it's an utter shambles and I'm sorry, the 'it's the Cyber Attack" excuses wearing a little thin at this stage.

I've nothing more to say, other than again expressing my utter disgust at some of the Vile commentary over the past few weeks, it seems SOME people care more about a few pints and a basket of chicken wings FFS than what has actually occured over the past horrific 15 months.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dempo1 wrote: »
    A definite No, throughout this pandemic NPHET (Not individuals who've been vilified in quite an appalling manner) have been the most consistent of any organisation dealing with the pandemic. Senior HSE officials have side stepped ever failing, Government all over the place, Representative bodies / Vested interests acted appallingly and continue to do.

There's a S*** storm ahead, both financially and medically and I feel mostly concerned for anyone on a waiting list let alone actually trying to get basic care in hospital departments at the moment, it's an utter shambles and I'm sorry, the 'it's the Cyber Attack" excuses wearing a little thin at this stage.

I've nothing more to say, other than again expressing my utter disgust at some of the Vile commentary over the past few weeks, it seems SOME people care more about a few pints and a basket of chicken wings FFS than what has actually occured over the past horrific 15 months.

The we are in this together never actually happened

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Take into account the cost of nphet. It’s far from the pup payment those salaries are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Fils wrote: »
    Take into account the cost of nphet. It’s far from the pup payment those salaries are.

Did you see the news onthe HSE"s Paul Reids salary today? Twice that of the Taoiseach (in itself 4 times what it should be), not a single member if NPHET earns near the outrageous salaries lashed out at HSE senior management.

To compare state supports against the cost of NPHET is just beyond absurd.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Did you see the news onthe HSE"s Paul Reids salary today? Twice that of the Taoiseach (in itself 4 times what it should be), not a single member if NPHET earns near the outrageous salaries lashed out at HSE senior management.

To compare state supports against the cost of NPHET is just beyond absurd.

Don’t get me started on Paul Reid, the greatest since Charlie Haughey’s time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would absolutely disband NPHET in the morning.

And then as taoiseach I would appoint an advisory group made up of experts in a range of fields and task them with modelling scenarios and offering advice on future planning. Call it the HAG, or the CPT.

Just optics you say? Replacing one group with another?

Perhaps. But important optics all the same, at this stage NPHET have lost, credibility, integrity, impartiality, utility and a whole bunch more "ilities" that I can't think off right now.

There is a huge problem with the perception of NPHET and Michael Martin could solve the problem in the morning with the stroke of a pen. They are supposed to be nothing more than an advisory group, so what exactly would be the problem with disbanding them with immediate effect and getting advice elsewhere? How could this possibly be an issue?

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with a leader getting fresh viewpoints and advisors, members of those sorts of advisory groups should be changed on a regular basis anyway to prevent groupthink. Anybody who would fight for NPHET really should stop and have a think about what they are fighting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Johns nephew wrote: »

as covid is not flue as we know, whether the poster did or didn't care about those who died from the flue in 2019 is ultimately irrelevant. nor is what they stated sentimental rubbish.

Post edited by end of the road on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

covid is not flue as we know, flue while it does spread, does not spread in anywhere near the amount that uncontrolled covid 19 and even controlled covid 19 does.

we have a balanced approach, the most balanced approach possible given what is being dealt with, and the good news is that we are not far from the end now.

Post edited by end of the road on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The logical strategy is to let the UK be the guinea pigs, Boris is happy to take massive risk, we can wait maybe a month and copy them if things look ok. In some ways it makes decisions very easy. We have 60m+ test cases to determine our policy from. I'm pretty sure this is the strategy we have and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

we have the least amount of balance in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

While I'd be largely in favour of that idea, the flaw is that plenty of people from Plague Island are wandering around Ireland already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Disband a government advisory group of experts in public health, modelling, virology, science and infectious diseases in the middle of a pandemic... Sounds a little crazy to me

Remember, even Donald Trump had Anthony Fauchi advising him, although he didn't listen much

Advertisement