Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling with your drone

• 05-06-2021 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭

What precautions do you take before traveling with your drone regarding the destination rules and regulations?

I have a couple of short stays next week and. I am considering bringing my Mavic air with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

smurfjed wrote: »
    What precautions do you take before traveling with your drone regarding the destination rules and regulations?

I have a couple of short stays next week and. I am considering bringing my Mavic air with me.

I've had my drone always in carry on (battery removed), all batteries must be in LiPo anti-explosion bag(s) and carry on as well. thats it, unless your destination doesnt allow drones in general

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Besides checking the local regulations, etc - load up the DJI app and use the map feature to make sure there are no extra restrictions in the place you're hoping to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Didn’t bring it with me as the destination country has strict laws against them, up to 6 months in Jail. They even had a large sign beside the customs X-ray machine.

theothernt wrote: »
    Besides checking the local regulations, etc - load up the DJI app and use the map feature to make sure there are no extra restrictions in the place you're hoping to fly.

I wouldnt blindly trust DJI app, best is to check 'local' websites for air maps or apps, a couple years ago been to Gran Canaria and DJI app almost caused me huge troubles :)

smurfjed wrote: »
    Didn’t bring it with me as the destination country has strict laws against them, up to 6 months in Jail. They even had a large sign beside the customs X-ray machine.

where did you go if you dont mind to share oc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I wouldnt blindly trust DJI app, best is to check 'local' websites for air maps or apps, a couple years ago been to Gran Canaria and DJI app almost caused me huge troubles :)

You should definitely check official information, maps, etc first. I mention the DJI app because even if an area is legally ok to fly in, DJI can have extra restrictions on top which means you can't fly or are limited to, say, 150m.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Are those anti explosion bags really required? I'm travelling in a couple weeks with my drone, I checked airline websites cant see anything about them? Or is it just a safety measure best to have it?

Also is there a limit to the amount of batteries you can get through with at security? I've 3 batteries for the drone, plus another 2 for DSLR, would I get through with all those? Plus a power bank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

You'll be grand. The number of batteries is not an issue, as carry-on. Limiting factor is the individual battery capacity, 100Wh If remember correctly, with a limited allowance for a couple of bigger ones.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Advertisement