Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ELM327 wrote: »
    Probably just destination chargers but better than nothing

Absolutely fine... at a park and ride facility they only need to be 7kW...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Its not a proper e-cars charging space until you can have a picnic at it. Not every one will bring their own fold up tables and chairs, so I for one would like to see a proper picnic table or five.
    Careful now, dont tell the waterford FCP owner that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Does anything like this exist in Ireland?

Parklio - Smart Parking for Everyone
    https://youtu.be/BcKjIZzvDnc

Poor Jim's life got better when he discovered Parklio

https://parklio.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is anyone going to make an Estate EV. I'd rather not go down the SUV road because frankly I think theyre heavier, the aerodynamics of a brick and harder to park in spaces.

Would really love a good looking estate akin to the Audi A6 or the 2021 Volvo v60

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

listermint wrote: »
    Is anyone going to make an Estate EV. I'd rather not go down the SUV road because frankly I think theyre heavier, the aerodynamics of a brick and harder to park in spaces.

Would really love a good looking estate akin to the Audi A6 or the 2021 Volvo v60

Aye, Porsche with their Taycan 4. Unfortunately, as with 90% of Porsches IMO it's horribly ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Other than the MG5 there doesn't seem to be much interest in an estate EV, which is pretty annoying as personally I think they're great cars

VW the ID Space Vizzion concept which is planned to become a production car around 2025 I think

Volvo might be another one to try, they're always done well with their estate cars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The chinese MG5 is an estate with good range for the money and not a bad looking car

Absolutely fine... at a park and ride facility they only need to be 7kW...

7kW would be better than 22kW, spread the resource, but there should be a couiple of DC chargers if possible given the proximity of that site to the N51/2/m3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Peugeot e308 is due in 2023. Hopefully they do an estate version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

cannco253 wrote: »
    The facility will include a new offline bus bay and a total of 181 car parking spaces, including six mobility impaired parking spaces and 18 e-car charging spaces."
    10% of car spaces having a charger is a very reasonable allocation given the state of the EV market and a good start, includes some future-proofing too.

In my opinion, this should be mandated by law for certain settings/entities as Germans are thinking doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

7kW would be better than 22kW, spread the resource, but there should be a couiple of DC chargers if possible given the proximity of that site to the N51/2/m3

Yep, absolutely 7 kW is the best bang for the buck.

A) sorts out the 1-phase vs 3-phase "issue" the 11 kW AC has
    B) it's cheaper
    C) gives 3 times more connectors for input power available (22 kW)

I really don't know who's pushing 22 kW dual connectors everywhere...they may be OK for some settings (as a back-up for FCPs).

22 kW DC are an option now too, but they're still multiple the price of 7 kW fancy socket basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The chinese MG5 is an estate with good range for the money and not a bad looking car

Never actually heard about that at all and I would have considered myself to be on the nose with ev news.

Have to say though it is kinda reminding me of a Dacia Logan in the looks department.

Maybe older Passat front mercedes rear with Logan side profile to tack them together.

It's missing something. But seems great value all the same.

Never actually heard about that at all and I would have considered myself to be on the nose with ev news.

Have to say though it is kinda reminding me of a Dacia Logan in the looks department.

Maybe older Passat front mercedes rear with Logan side profile to tack them together.

It's missing something. But seems great value all the same.

Check out the Bob Flavin videos on YouTube… he’s been given an MG EV for a year..,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Perfect taxi driver car. They get a nice EV grant now too. €20K off a new (non-wheelchair accessible) taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Check out the. On Flavin videos on YouTube… he’s been given an MG EV for a year..,

That was then, this is now. Apparently he had to give it back. He's back in his '06 Seat now & has been critical of the MG.

Wife is taking the ID.4 on a trip around Munster tomorrow....ABRP says it's a bit tighter than I imagined, arriving home with only 10% battery.
    Kramer wrote: »
    She'll be grand on that journey - she'll have a good 20%+ buffer IMO :).

How did she do? I was concerned when it rained......extra consumption.....little cooler too.....I'm sticking with 20% though :pac:.

Looks like wrightbus in NI just released a fully electric double decker

https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/02/wrightbus-presents-their-first-battery-electric-bus/

Up to 200 miles on a single charge. Even if it loses a big chunk of that to weather and loading it should still be plenty for the average urban bus shift

Maybe someone should suggest to Minister Ryan that the NTA opens up purchasing for these when he's visiting the ESB J14 site? Now that there's a workable electric bus available the NTA should move away from diesel buses as swiftly as possible

Plus (sorry to drag in politics here), the Irish government buying a load of buses from a NI company and supporting jobs there would probably play well in the minds voters there who are currently being fed nothing but lies from the DUP and Tories

That was then, this is now. Apparently he had to give it back. He's back in his '06 Seat now & has been critical of the MG.

Didn't know that, but in fairness I wouldn't be seeking out every new video from the likes of Bob or Bjorn etc....

I must have a look now for it. does he cover it in a video?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Was he critical of it before or after he had to return it?

DrPhilG wrote: »

I know he was disappointed in the charging speeds he was getting at ESB chargers and was expecting a software update to fix that

Didn't hear anything after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Looks like wrightbus in NI just released a fully electric double decker

https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/02/wrightbus-presents-their-first-battery-electric-bus/

Up to 200 miles on a single charge. Even if it loses a big chunk of that to weather and loading it should still be plenty for the average urban bus shift

Maybe someone should suggest to Minister Ryan that the NTA opens up purchasing for these when he's visiting the ESB J14 site? Now that there's a workable electric bus available the NTA should move away from diesel buses as swiftly as possible

Plus (sorry to drag in politics here), the Irish government buying a load of buses from a NI company and supporting jobs there would probably play well in the minds voters there who are currently being fed nothing but lies from the DUP and Tories

Tender already out for 800 fully electric buses :) Some hydrogen and single deck ev are already on the road. Less prominent routes maybe as a bit of a test run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I asked the reception desk last year about this, basically it's first come first served and they don't seem to police them. I'd say people would generally move after a day

There's 2 pod point chargers with 2 Type 2 untethered sockets each. Don't forget your cable :)

The reception desk said you'll need to download the pod point app, but reports on plugshare say the units will just plug and charge, no authentication needed

Unfortunately we had to cancel the trip (thanks covid :() but let me know how you get on, we're hopefully going later this year

Just in this for anyone that cares all parking spaces were full when I got there (with only 3 cars...) but I was able to park beside and use the free charging point.

At least the 3 cars that were poorly parked were all actually evs or hybrids

I went down the next morning to plug mine out and all were still charging hopefully they moved later that day.

The Etron should just about make the round trip without a charge but why risk it.

Didn't know that, but in fairness I wouldn't be seeking out every new video from the likes of Bob or Bjorn etc....

It's easy, just like, subscribe & hit the notification bell icon :D.
    DrPhilG wrote: »

I'm not sure.......I happened to meet someone today who brought it up. I think Bob's big on TikTok & Insta so maybe he was doing updates there.

I dunno, but does this make any sense to anyone here? I know The Netherlands is rife with Teslas & chargers/charge points, which is great, but their model (the Dutch, in Holland :pac:), is now being banned, just as it was about to be rolled out in other, larger EU countries :confused:.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/electric-cars/opinion/why-is-the-european-commission-dismantling-the-continents-most-successful-ev-charging-model/

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Damn boards downtime.

She got on grand. 336km driven, 17.8kWh/100km, 60km/hr average speed. Arrived home with 18% battery, but also 122km range. Seems like that 18% is way underestimated if the GOM is correct - IMO the GOM was correct in this instance. 18% giving 122km is 670km at 100%. Not a hope of that.

Didn't charge for 2-3 days after she got home (think I had about 55km range left), but put 71kWh into it when I did.

Thank goodness boards is back, my wife was getting tired of listening to me complain about ESB chargers and yakking about how V2G is the future and it'll all be better when I get solar panels :)

Surely the 18% was correct and the GOM was way off?

If you put 71kWh in (at the charger I'm assuming) then after losses that works out at 83% of the 77kWh capacity

There seems to be an extra kWh hidden in the battery to account for early degredation, so that's probably where the extra came in

I guess your wife is a very efficient driver if the GOM figured she'd get 120km out of just over 13kWh. You'd struggle to get that in an Ioniq!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I didn't charge it when she got home. I charged it a few days later, after about 50km more of driving. I think the GOM was more accurate than the %. I didn't check out EVNotify to see what the actual BMS SOC was though.

The roads she was on were typically single carriage, some rural roads too. She'd be a gentler driver than I would be, but she was under pressure to get to everywhere she needed to go and get back in time for creche pick up. Need some cooler weather to wash the car now. Bugs all over it.

Ah I get you now, forgot you'd been driving afterwards as well

Hopefully it isn't a sign the BMS is screwed up, seen a couple of videos of otherEVs where the battery percentage plummeted at the end and the car died before it should have

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just saw a Renault Twizzy in the wild, tiny.

Advertisement