Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

102-0 and i dont think its unfair to say they even left a few out there with ill discipline and needlessly kicking possession away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Painful post match interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit of a farce of a game tbh, not sure what value it was to either team. NZ won't have learned much from opposition so poor, and it's not going to help Tonga in terms of support, particularly given half their team were missing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I hope nobody paid a tenner to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Hi all.
    I'm about to arrive in Killarney but can't check in to the hotel until 3.00.
    Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know a place where I could watch the match at 1.00?
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Bit of a farce of a game tbh, not sure what value it was to either team. NZ won't have learned much from opposition so poor, and it's not going to help Tonga in terms of support, particularly given half their team were missing.

Traditionally the ABs open up a season with lower tier opposition to iron out the wrinkles before hosting a touring tier 1 team or entering the Tri Nations.

Tonga benefited from the match fees/takings but more importantly they played a tier 1 country before they kick off their World Cup qualification.

Don't be blaming either the ABs or Tonga for the scoreline. The anecdotal comments made during the match would indicate that a number of overseas players were put under pressure to turn down selection by their clubs. Tonga was missing up to 20 players for selection for a variety of reasons. Also NZ has mandatory 2 week quarantine - except when the bubble with Australia is open.

World Rugby will need to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

In fairness to the players who didn't turn up, 2 weeks quarantine (plus potential quarantine on return depending where they transit) is enough to turn off players by itself.

Italy was supposed to be touring and pulled out for that reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

kuang1 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know a place where I could watch the match at 1.00?
    Cheers!

Driuids Chair might have a screen outside.

It's on RTE Two - maybe somewhere on Dalkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

kuang1 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Cheers!

Go to the hotel. Even if you can't get into the room they'll surely let you sit in the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He'll be cutting it fine to get from Kerry to Dalkey for kickoff

• Advertisement

It's on C4 also

The All Black's scraped home against Tonga....102-0

• Subscribers Posts: 41,579 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Good to see brainless stupid penalties permeates all levels of English test rugby.

Two silly pens and USA gone from their half to score from a lineout

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pretty good showing from the US today. Minging jerseys tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Pretty good showing from the US today. Minging jerseys tho

Andy Farrell to go a lot less experimental then we'd hoped now seeing this...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,579 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah England were very poor at basic defense... Both up front and out the back.

I don't think andys plans will be alerted too much.

Has to be said, the US did a better job manufacturing line breaks than we did. Their last try was very tidy. I think we have to be one of the worst teams when it comes to taking advantage of overlaps and working out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Romania had a good showing against Argentina yesterday only lost by a couple of points - used to be good many years ago

I would love for there to be Euros style comp every couple of years. Be a nice chance for some of the other countries to get meaningful games. Could be set off cycle from the WC, replacing some of the summer tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I would love for there to be Euros style comp every couple of years. Be a nice chance for some of the other countries to get meaningful games. Could be set off cycle from the WC, replacing some of the summer tours.

What about every year, take the top 6 nations and play a round robin...no idea what to call it though.

• Advertisement

hahashake wrote: »
    What about every year, take the top 6 nations and play a round robin...no idea what to call it though.

Indeed. Never going to happen tho

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

Watched a fair bit of the rugby over the weekend and have been thinking about where the game goes in the next 10-20 years.

The NZ Tonga result was obviously terrible but with so many Tongan players missing, the game was never going to be close. Tonga have at least put in good performances in the last couple of rugby world cups.

Watching South Africa v Georgia, Ireland v Japan and England v USA really got me thinking that there needs to be more games for these “Tier 2” countries against top opposition. Japan have obviously been very good over the last two world cups, while the USA have sometimes been good in stand alone fixtures, albeit against weakened sides. Georgia are showing signs of improvement but need more games v Tier 1 teams. I haven’t even mentioned Uruguay, who I have a soft spot for after their win over Fiji in RWC19.

I don’t know what the answer is, but where is rugby going and how do we get more competitive teams? As much as I love the sport, Pool B of the 2019 RWC is damning. Italy, Namibia and Canada all in one pool and none of those teams would test any top 10 team now. I’d like to see a RWC where 15/20 (at least)teams are capable of progressing to a quarter final. As it stands now, I think there’s probably only 10 realistically. Can we get Uruguay, Georgia, USA, Italy, Russia etc to a stage where they can compete with some of the Tier 1 teams regularly?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The very fact that you are including Italy in that list highlights the problem. They have had the most support of any "developing" team both financially and in terms of matches and they have not improved massively.

(although personally I don't really think they belong in that list, they would beat all those teams relatively comfortably I suspect).

Lewis Ludlow has gotten a 4 game ban for his knee to the head on Jake ILnicky in the Canada game.

I have no idea why they referee only gave a yellow card during the game, it was a clear act of dangerous play & there were no mitigating factors at all

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, totally nuts that it wasn't a red. It should have been a quick and easy call for the ref. Completely bottled it.

Aussie No11 sent off inside the first 5 mins against France....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The online reaction to the Koroibete red card is interesting. Seems to be a NH/SH split with the former saying red and the latter calling the decision a travesty.

We've sort of seen this in recent weeks with referees in the south letting things go which a lot of European referees would red card.

Fwiw I think it's a fairly clear cut red card. Koroibete steamed into the player at full tilt, was fairly upright making the tackle and made contact with his shoulder into the French players chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anything that pisses the Aussie rugby community off is OK in my book.

Watching on Aussie tv and they are definitely screaming travesty....he definitely made contact with the neck and jaw of the French player though, no doubt at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Australian commentary very biased

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement